Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Samurai X Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings ❯ Ch. 10: Pippin's allegiance to Denethor ( Chapter 64 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10: You are to join the tower guard, Master Hobbit, Pippin's allegiance to Denethor

The travelers, upon the mountainous borders of Mordor, continued to climb the steep stairs of Cirith Ungol, clinging with desperate fingers, forcing their aching knees to bend and straighten. Gollum took the lead, followed by Kaoru, Frodo, Yahiko, and Sam. It was a long and weary ascent for them all. The passage seemed to go on for miles with the stair cutting its way deeper into the sheer mountain and the walls rising higher and higher above their heads, and the chill air flowed over them, rising as they went on to a bitter wind.

The steps were narrow, spaced unevenly and often treacherous, with worn, smooth and broken edges. Kaoru was the most wearied, yet the most frightened of the group, suffering from a little vertigo, fearing great heights underneath her, daunting her to turn back, or to let the mountain's deadly breath blow her away into the darkness below. Climbing up and up, the travelers all became aware of the long black fall, the great ravine at the head of the Morgul valley, from behind them.

Suddenly…

A part of the steps cracked as Frodo set foot upon one of the nearly broken steps, nearly falling off the mountain.

"Frodo!" Yahiko called out in concern for Frodo.

Kaoru peeked down a bit, then snapped her head back up, turning hastily away, remembering her fear of heights, that she reluctantly had to overcome… in order to make it to the Black land, since Kenshin wasn't with her for his help.

"Careful master, careful! Very far, to fall," Gollum cautioned, as he finally found… and climbed upon a ledge able to fit the others, after endless hours of the weary climb upon Ephel Dúath, "…very dangerous, are the stairs."

Kaoru was the next one to reach the ledge, trying to overcome her fear of falling. Gollum then grabbed her hand… and began to pull her up, which didn’t bade well for Yahiko as he saw, grimacing in disgust, from where he was, the ghoulish Hobbit helping her onto the ledge.

"There, mistress," Gollum said to her, "good Sméagol always helps."

"Thank you, Sméagol," Kaoru nodded approvingly at the creature standing up, a little groggily.

Frodo was next as he continued struggling heavily against the treacherous climb… to reach and settle upon the ledge for all of them to rest upon…

"Come master!" encouraged Gollum… but Frodo was too weary to climb up.

"Sméagol," Kaoru suggested, "I think you should help Frodo up. It doesn't look like he's going to make it."

Gollum nodded positively, as he went to pull up Frodo…

Then the ring fell from underneath his shirt, showing itself in front of Gollum and Kaoru… as its powers began to entrance them greatly…

"…Come to Sméagol," Gollum said, desirably… as he began to extend his hand towards Frodo…

Kaoru also looked at the ring for a while and also at Gollum… who apparently was reaching for the ring. Continuing to eye Gollum's movements, she remembered what Yahiko and Sam were saying about him earlier… of his trap within the mountains…

He means to murder us, Miss Kaoru…!

He's a villain…!

He's still after the ring, Kaoru…!

Still after the ring, still after the ring…! 

Fearing that they might be right about the creature, as those words continued to echo in her mind… Kaoru slowly grasped her wooden sword, intending to stop Gollum, if he tried to grab the ring…

Gollum's hand moved even closer to Frodo as Sam and Yahiko moved up closer to the struggling Frodo and peered over to see Gollum, with his hand apparently going for the ring…

-

"Mr. Frodo!" Sam cried out in alarm as he and Yahiko drew their weapons.

"Hey, creepy!" Yahiko called out angrily…

Gollum then turned his attention to the angry expressions of Sam and Yahiko…

"Don't even think about it," Yahiko warned Gollum.

"Get back, you!" Sam ordered Gollum, impotently swinging his sword, "don't touch him!"

The miserable creature grimaced at them in response, but was unwilling to listen to their warnings as he tried to reach out at Frodo. Sam and Yahiko growled under their breaths, gripping their weapons tightly, as did Kaoru…

Gollum lowered his hand further…

And grabbed Frodo's arm, pulling him up onto the ledge. Kaoru relaxed herself, releasing her wooden sword, then noticed Sam and Yahiko with their weapons in hand.

"You can put those away now, people," she said to Sam and Yahiko, "its over."

Upon seeing that Gollum didn’t take the ring, Sam and Yahiko put their weapons away, growling unsettlingly. Kaoru took Frodo into her lap as Gollum went to the ledge offering his hand.

"Come precious, Sméagol will bear you up," Gollum offered.

"No thanks, creepy!" Yahiko yelled his refusal.

"We'll manage just fine without you, Stinker," Sam also refused.

Gollum felt very embarrassed hearing their names for him and turned back to Kaoru and Frodo saying miserably, "why does they hates poor Sméagol, Mistress? What has Sméagol ever done to them?"

"It’s the way they are, Sméagol," Kaoru reasoned, "you sort of get used to it, after a while."

Gollum then looked upon Frodo, who apparently was restless beyond restlessness, feeling cold and clammy, shivering and sweating due to all the climbing within the chilly air upon the mountain.

"Master?" he inquired earnestly.

"Frodo," said Kaoru, asking, "are you alright?"

Frodo didn't answer… only grunted in response.

"No… he's not okay, Mistress," said Gollum sympathetically, smoothly caressing Frodo's back, "Master carries heavy burden. Sméagol knows mistress. Heavy, heavy burden."

"…I know it too, Sméagol," Kaoru sadly admitted, "Frodo's been burdened with the ring when he first began this journey."

"…Yes Mistress, Sméagol knows," purred Gollum, "fat and impulsive ones cannot know."

Gollum then turned to Frodo and soothed with, "…Sméagol look after you, Master. He's the only one who can."

"Sméagol," said Kaoru, a little perplexed, "…I know you mean well. But we also have Sam and Yahiko, no matter what they may think of you. Why would you imply that only you could take care of him?"

"Because mistress," began Gollum…

Before turning towards Yahiko and Sam, who were helping each other on top of the ledge, lowering his eyes at them… then turned back to Kaoru…

"…They wants it," Gollum replied, grimly, in a small but captivating voice, "…they needs it, Sméagol sees it in their eyeses!"

Frodo also heard Gollum's allegations of Yahiko and Sam as he slowly turned his head at Gollum…

Gollum turned to Frodo and added darkly, "…very soon, Master, they will ask you for it. You will see…

"…The fat one and impulsive one… will take it from you," ended Gollum smoothly, yet deceptively.

In response… Frodo quickly clutched the Ring protectively and looked at Sam and Yahiko suspiciously with cold, emotionless eyes. The sight of Frodo's behavior began to worry Kaoru, as she turned to look at Gollum.

Gollum turned to Kaoru as he nodded at her and said wickedly, "you will see, Mistress… you will see."

Kaoru continued to look at Gollum, with her eyes filled with worry and doubt. She did believe him when he said that somebody wanted the ring. But didn't believe that it was Yahiko or Sam…

-

At the now Orc-occupied city of Osgiliath…

The dreaded Witch-King of Angmar sat upon his Fell beast, perched upon a ruined wall, as Gothmog came over and stood by his leader, observing Minas Tirith with him…

"Send forth all legions," the Witch-King ordered Gothmog, in his deep, gauntly, ghost-like voice, "do not stop the attack until the city is taken. Slay them all."

The Fell beast wiggled its neck a little, in eager anticipation to shed the blood of Gondor.

"…What of the wizard?" inquired Gothmog.

"I will break him," the wraith grimly assured Gothmog.

The guards of Minas Tirith, in turn, observed Osgiliath, from the battlements, as more Orcs poured into the city, preparing the last stages of their invasion of Gondor. Conditions were indeed becoming grim each moment for Gondor. Gandalf went to join the guards in their watch. They, as well as Gandalf searched the distance for a sign of Théoden and the Riders of Rohan.

"Where are Théoden's riders?" asked one of the guards.

"Will Rohan's army come?" asked another solder.

Gandalf pondered the question for long moments, knowing that Mordor was moving fast against Gondor…

"Mithrandir?" the guard implored Gandalf for an answer.

Gandalf paused for a moment before he responded, "…courage is the best defense that you have now."

In the citadel…

Pippin Took sat upon a bench in a hall clad in the outfit that the servants gave him, for service to the Steward.  Aoshi stood next to one of the black-marbled pillars, with his arms folded, firm his face was as ever. Pippin's face was overly troubled, as it was near the hour, that he would make himself presentable to Denethor for his first day of service…

"What were you thinking, Peregrin Took?" Pippin asked himself, breathing nervously, "what service can a Hobbit, offer such a great… lord of men?"

Aoshi turned to Pippin and said, deadpanning, "there's no point in fretting yourself over your decision now, Pippin. If you don't like being here, you can always remember that you brought it on yourself."

Pippin nodded to Aoshi in defeat, knowing that he was saying truthfully of his own pert folly to try and offer service to Denethor.

"I don't know exactly what put it in your head, or your heart, for that matter, to do it," added Aoshi sternly, "but I did not hinder your decision, nor do I wish to. Even though Denethor and I have our differences, what you did greatly touched his heart. And the only thing I can do, is to give you some support and prepare you for your new service, as I have prepared many others as leader of the Oniwaban group."

"There is much in what your friend says, Master Hobbit," a voice came from the hall…

Aoshi and Pippin turned… to see Faramir entering the hall, walking towards them. Pippin jumped up from his stool attentively, seeing that he was in the presence of a higher-ranking soldier.

"Faramir," spoke Aoshi, surprised to see him.

"…Your boldness was well-done," Faramir added to Pippin encouragingly, giving more confidence, "a generous deed should not be checked with cold counsel… you are to join the tower guard."

"…I didn't think they would find any livery that would fit me," said Pippin.

"Once belonged to a young boy of the city," Faramir told Pippin, in a humorous tone, "…a very foolish one, who wasted many hours slaying dragons, instead of attending to his studies."

"This was yours?" Pippin guessed, with a twitched eyebrow.

"Heh, yes, it was mine," confessed Faramir, "my father had it made for me."

"…Well," Pippin noted, as he looked at his new uniform, "…I'm taller than you were then, though I'm not likely to grow any more, except sideways."

Faramir laughed a little gaily, with Pippin joining along.

"I'm amazed that you would laugh so much, Pippin," interjected Aoshi, "especially when Misao told me about how you were able to grow so strangely after drinking the Entdraught."

Pippin sighed sheepishly, remembering his time in Fangorn forest.

"You seem very gloomy, my Lord Aoshi," said Faramir, in a complimenting voice, "have you never even laughed before?"

Aoshi paused a moment as he answered, "…unfortunately I've never had that time or luxury available to me when I was a guard of Edo Castle."

"Ooh, that's not good Aoshi," criticized Pippin, lightly, "you should laugh once in a while. And Misao's very eager to hear you laugh some day."

"…I'm sure she that she is," Aoshi replied plainly.

"Well… to tell the truth, this has never fitted me either," admitted Faramir, as he adjusted the shoulder collar of Pippin's uniform that was once his, "Boromir was always the soldier."

Faramir's expression lowered a bit suddenly as he added, "…they were so alike, he and my father… proud, stubborn even…

"…But strong," Faramir said in praise to the last.

Pippin and Aoshi sympathized with Faramir and how he viewed his own comparison between Boromir and Denethor.

"I think you have strength, of a different kind," said Pippin, with stern optimism, "and one day your father will see it."

Faramir gave a bittersweet smile at Pippin's gesture of hope for reconciliation with his father. Aoshi, unfortunately, could not share the same feeling of sanguine, though he fully believed Pippin that Faramir has a different kind of strength.

Pippin, Aoshi and Faramir entered into the great hall of the Citadel, where Denethor awaited the Hobbit. Pippin knelt in front of Denethor, while Aoshi and Faramir stood and watched, while servants were preparing the Steward's daily meal.

"Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor," Pippin said formally, "in peace or war, in living or dying. Fro… from--"

Pippin stuttered for a moment, trying to remember his lines. However, Denethor sat still in his seat, with a smile, as he was amused at the Hobbit's not-so-perfect memory…

The Hobbit regained his composure and continued, "…fr… from this hour henceforth. Until my lord release me…

"…Or death take me," finished Pippin.

"And I shall not forget it," Denethor responded merrily, as he stood from his seat and went over to Pippin, "nor fail to reward that, which is given."

Denethor slowly extended his hand towards Pippin, on which there was a ring. Pippin looked at it for a brief moment… and reluctantly kissed it. As Gandalf said, Pippin would now have to do as he was told.

The Steward lightly grasped the Hobbit's face as he said to him, "…fealty with love."

Denethor then walked over to a small table where food was prepared for him adding, "valor with honor…"

As Denethor reached the table, he looked disdainfully at Faramir ending, "disloyalty, with vengeance."

Faramir shrugged at his father, who had always believed Faramir to be a hindrance to him, instead of an asset to his needs. Aoshi turned his eyes away after hearing that snide remark from Denethor, blasting his son. It almost made Aoshi sick to hear Denethor saying something bad about his own son. Pippin then stood as his new lord and master, Denethor, sat down at the table, starting to eat the prepared food.

"I do not think we should so lightly abandon the outer defenses," Denethor firmly suggested to Faramir, "defenses that your brother long held intact."

"What would you have me do?" Faramir asked earnestly.

"I will not yield the River in Pelennor unfought," declared Denethor sternly, "Osgiliath must be re-taken."

"My lord, Osgiliath is overrun," returned Faramir ardently, trying to be reasonable.

"Much must be risked in war," Denethor coldly informed his youngest son.

"You have risked too much already," interjected Aoshi, "as it is, trying to recapture Osgiliath is suicide. What you need to do is save the men that you have and prepare for the Orcs that are making to invade Minas Tirith."

"I do not recall asking for your advice, my lord Aoshi," Denethor smugly rebuked Aoshi, "while you are a guest here, you are still an outsider. You say you've come to help, but you deal out such support according to Mithrandir's own designs. The Lord of Gondor is not to be made a tool of other men's purposes, however worthy they seem to be. Counsels may be found that are neither the webs of wizards, nor the haste of fools, and I have more wisdom than you or Mithrandir could ever conceive."

"What would be your wisdom then," inquired Aoshi, "if you would not have either of your sons follow or take advice from a wizard?"

Denethor fixed his scornful gaze at Aoshi and replied, "not that it is of any concern of yours… but I would have my son be his own master when I leave my chair to him after I have departed from this world. If you speak out of term once more, I shall have your tongue cut."

"You would have to catch me first," said Aoshi, darkening his expression at the bitter Steward.

Ignoring that statement, Denethor continued to fumble around his food, his will unwavering to any other suggestions, but his own. Pippin had noticed the strain that was slowly increasing between Aoshi and Denethor, almost as if he saw a line of smoldering fire that might suddenly burst into flame. He had noticed the same tension with Gandalf, but the tension Denethor had with Aoshi was even stronger, as their glances were like blades from eye to eye, flickering as they fenced. Lastly, Faramir was being torn apart, hearing his father putting him down like an unworthy servant…

"Is there a captain here who still has the courage to do his lord's will?" Denethor asked openly.

Pippin looked upon Faramir in confusion, bewildered about what Faramir's intentions would be.

Faramir paused a moment, then said, in a breaking voice, "…you wish now that our places had been exchanged. That I had died and Boromir had lived."

Denethor took a cup in his hand as he paused, with an unsettling expression of seriousness and pressure upon his troubled brow…

"…Yes," he answered, murmuring silently, yet firmly, "…I wish that."

Faramir was being torn apart even more, eyeing his father eat and drink… as tears had begun to form in his eyes, never questioning his loyalties and allegiances to Denethor. After all his attempts to make Denethor proud, even now, he felt that he had failed his father, that he was right to criticize him…

-

"…Since you are robbed of Boromir… I will do what I can in his stead," Faramir reluctantly resolved with his voice breaking even more, as he bowed, willing to take his father's orders without question.

Faramir then started to walk away, with Pippin and Aoshi watching in pity. Pippin became crestfallen fearing that Denethor would never see Faramir's strength, like he could. Denethor merely sat at the table with the wine goblet in his hands and was silent, unwilling to rethink his orders.

"If I should return," Faramir said, stopping to look at his father one last time, "think better of me, father."

Denethor eyed Faramir, replying pointedly, yet coldly, "…that will depend on the manner of your return."

-

And with no more words said… Faramir left the citadel… not looking back.

Disclaim er: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien