Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Samurai X Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings ❯ Ch. 29: A period of healing ( Chapter 83 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/n: Happy Thanksgiving everybody. I know that it isn't Thursday, but you know how it is and how I have to post the rest of my story, through other computers at the library, and it was closed on Thursday and Friday. I had a great feast with my Grandparents and some of my Uncles, Aunts, and Cousins. I even showed them some of the reviews I really liked, showing that many people appreciate what I'm doing.

-

Anyway, I'm posting two chapters for this Thanksgiving weekend. Enjoy. 

Chapter 29: A period of healing, reflections of battle

The battle at Minas Tirith and Pelennor fields had finally come to an end. The sun shone its brightest, though the darkness of Mordor was still overhead, and the once lush gardens of Pelennor fields… turned into a wasted battleground, littered with the wreck and slaughter of corpses that lay about all.

Fire and stench were in the air from the burning of many engines that were laid within fire-pits that the Orcs dug during the battle. There lay many carcasses of the Oliphaunts, half-burned or broken by stone-cast, or shot through the eyes by the Rohirrim's spears and arrows. And the lower city of Minas Tirith was still wrapped in a smoldering reek from the many fireballs of the Orc catapults. The mists of the aftermath of battle settled upon the littered field…

Saito stood upon the field, lighting a cigarette, with the most unconcerned expression…

Misao, with a limp leg, stood from amidst the mist, gazed ahead with great awe and curiosity…

Gandalf, with Aoshi and Pippin beside him, walked among the bloody carnage, also were full of curiosity as they looked ahead…

And saw a great host of the dead army appearing in front of Aragorn, through a portal coming from Kenshin's world. Sanosuke began cringing at the sight of the ghosts, not wanting to go near them.

Aragorn and Kenshin stood directly in front of the Dwimorberg soldiers that have saved their worlds from Sauron. But they were almost unable to convince them to help, as they recalled in their minds what happened while they were in the haunted mountain…

"You have my word!" Aragorn called out pleadingly to the fleeing shadow host, "fight! Fight for our worlds, and I will release you from this living death! What say you…?"

But the army kept backing away, unheeding Aragorn's call… until they finally disappeared into the walls of the mountain.

"STAND, YOU TRAITORS!" Gimli barked fiercely at the Oathbreakers' apparent refusal… then…

The ground began to tremble slightly… as the chamber rocked, like it was about to cave in around the travelers. Gimli looked down…

Seeing that skulls were beginning to fall and roll along the ground, toppling on top of each other. Aragorn raised his sword, as Kenshin laid a hand on his, preparing for the worst…

The travelers then looked up at the structure delved into the walls…

CRAAAACKKKKKLLLLLLEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! < p>- 

Which began to fall apart, with hundreds… perhaps thousands of skulls bursting out of the walls. Kenshin then heard something above him, as he looked up…

And saw dozens of boulders falling down from the roof towards him and the others….

"OUT!" yelled Aragorn with urgency as he, Kenshin, Gimli, and Legolas began to make for the exit.

The skulls continued flowing out of the walls, around the escaping travelers, with the added dilemma of the falling boulders from the roof of the crag. Aragorn, Kenshin, Legolas, and Gimli struggled against the sweeping flood of skulls that made their retreat very toiling indeed, though the skulls were falling into the gorge. It was even harder for Kenshin as his speed was obstructed by the constant torrent wave of skulls. Gimli got stuck, being nearly buried under the rubble. But Aragorn turned about to pull the Dwarf to him…

"Legolas!" Aragorn called to the Elf in alarm.

Kenshin managed to reach an opening into a corridor and cried out, "come on!"

"Run!" hollered Aragorn to Legolas and Gimli.

Aragorn reached Kenshin as they ran in first, followed by Legolas and Gimli. The Elf pushed the Dwarf up front, to allow him go gain some ground… while the passageway became filled with falling rocks and skulls…

The Men, Elf, and Dwarf finally reached an exit within the mountain, and found themselves onto a grassy hill plain. Aragorn looked downward, standing where he was…

And saw a fleet of Black ships of the Corsairs of Umbar, sailing on the Anduin River, headed for Minas Tirith. Kenshin, Gimli, and Legolas looked at the ships soon after. The travelers also saw upon the neighboring shores of the river… the destruction caused by the Corsairs, murdering thousands of people, and burning their homes.

"It seems we were unable to ask for the Dead Army's help, after all," said Kenshin, sadly.

Aragorn, overcome with failure… dropped slowly to his knees, conceding defeat, as he closed his eyes in sadness and regret. Legolas came to Aragorn, laying a consoling hand on his shoulder.

"It looks like we're going to have to find another way to help your world, Kenshin," said Legolas.

"But the only certain way possible to save our worlds is that Sir Frodo destroys the ring, that it is," replied Kenshin, solemnly.

"Aye," muttered Gimli in a low voice.

Aragorn continued to look helplessly at the great river, having no kind of words to speak, even of his failure. But suddenly…

He began to hear a great stir behind him, as his eyes twitched in great surprise. Kenshin and the others gasped also, upon hearing the unexpected noise. Aragorn then stood up with the others looking behind…

And saw the King of the Dead appearing through the mountainside, moving toward Aragorn, then looked at Kenshin, who was the most attentive to the King's presence. The dead king fixed his eyes back on Aragorn…

"…We fight," the Dead King spoke firmly, "…for both worlds."

Kenshin and Aragorn had succeeded to call upon the aid of the Oathbreakers of the Dwimorberg Mountain to save Kyoto and Minas Tirith. And now… was the time for their reward…

The last few soldiers returning from Kyoto had just came from the portal as it closed.

Aragorn then asked, "well?"

"The city is safe," said the dead king, as he observed the body scattered battlefield, "but like here, there are many dead… both ally and adversary."

Kenshin closed his eyes in grief and regret, knowing that this battle was just as violent as the chaos of the Revolution. Gandalf and Aragorn observed Kenshin's distress as though they knew that this was the last thing that he wanted. He would've preferred it if nobody died at all… but Kenshin knew at first, that this was completely unavoidable, even though he will never ever accept that.

"Both worlds are saved," said the King of the dead, "…now release us."

Aragorn prepared to say the words…

But Gimli interjected, "ooh, bad idea."

The king's dead face stiffened as his eyes moved to the Dwarf, remembering what Kawaji almost suggested…

"Very handy in a tight spot, these lads," Gimli added in his advice, "despite the fact they're dead."

"NO WAY!" Sanosuke hollered out in recoiling fright, "DON'T LET ANY OF THEM NEAR ME!"

"Oro?" said a bemused Kenshin, in a low voice.

Sanosuke's attitude embarrassed almost everyone, including most of the dead army.

"Aragorn," added Sanosuke in cringing fear, "if you don't send them away right now, I'm going to beat the crap out of you, you hear?"

"Moron," Saito said to himself, a little exasperated.

"Now, now, Sir Gimli," interjected Kenshin to Gimli, with his usual sheepish grin "Aragorn did make a promise to these men, that he did. And it wouldn't be fair if he went back on his word now, would it?"

"Besides," added Aoshi, "these men were asked to fight for us for something in return. It is only fair for Aragorn to give them what they want, as the Battousai said."

"Well, it has been known," commented Saito, "that people do make promises and then break them at the last possible moment."

"I know that feeling myself, Saito," said Sanosuke, cringing still.

"They are correct," rasped the dead king at Aragorn, "you gave us your word."

"Ahh… spoilsports," sighed Gimli in defeat.

With everything said and done…

"I hold your oath fulfilled," proclaimed Aragorn softly to the king, who gave a sigh of relief, finally hearing the official release them from his and his army's curse, "go… be at peace."

"…Thank you, for everything," Kenshin bowed in gratitude to the army.

The once cursed dead king smiled his brightest after hearing the thanks from Kenshin. And with that… the Army of the Dwimorberg Mountain slowly began to shimmer and fade, as if blown away by the wind. The army was relieved as they were going to get their long and well-deserved rest after 3000 years of being cursed. Sanosuke was even more relieved to see them go as his recoiling stopped…

As moments passed…

The army finally disappeared from Gondor and Middle-Earth, never to trouble the valleys and lands thereof… ever again.

'May you all have rest,' thought Kenshin, with a smile, '…till the end of time.'

Gandalf then turned to Aragorn… and bowed humbly and devoutly to him, as he knew that Aragorn was going to take his place… as King of Gondor. Aragorn returned the wizard's gesture with a hearty yet confused smile.

Pippin began moving away from the others, looking for Merry. Along the way… he looked down amongst the corpses and severed body parts that lay upon the field… and spotted a bawled-up, light grey cloak that caught his attention. Pippin rushed toward the cloak to pick it up… revealing a leaf-shaped broach fitted into the cloak.

"Merry," gasped Pippin, fearful of Merry's safety…

Éomer and the remaining Rohirrim soldiers walked around the battlefield to see if there were any survivors of this chaotic conflict.

"Éomer!" a voice called out to him, as Éomer looked to his side…

And saw Misao limping up to him on one leg. Éomer became shocked to see her here, when she supposedly was to stay with Éowyn at Edoras, or so he believed.

"Misao," Éomer said, going up to her, "what are you doing here? You were suppose to be with Éowyn."

"I was," replied Misao, despairingly, "…and she's not doing so good."

Éomer froze fearfully for a moment, before asking, "…what do you mean?"

Misao slowly turned her head to show Éomer of why she spoke this way of his sister. Éomer looked in the direction where Misao was facing, with his eyes widening…

"Éowyn," gasped Éomer in shock…

As he saw Éowyn lying motionless on the grass, then began to step slowly towards her. Misao shared the same unease that Éomer had, seeing him go to Éowyn…

Taking each step closer… the sight started becoming too unbearable and horrifying to see for Éomer… thinking that his sister maybe dead…

"…NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Éomer screamed in his anguish as he suddenly raced frantically, while dropping his helmet and sword, and knelt over to carry his sister in his arms, shouting and crying endless tears of loss and dismay…

Misao looked on Éomer and Éowyn, solemnly sharing his sorrows, wishing that she could be with them, if only to comfort Éomer. But she knew somehow that he needed time to be alone. However… she still could not help but feel useless… useless to do anything whatsoever.

Aragorn, Kenshin, and the others heard the agonizing scream from Éomer, looking over to where he was, seeing him cradle Éowyn closely around his chest, sobbing with unceasing grief…

"Éowyn," spoke Aragorn somberly, with a mixture of pity and guilt, "what appalling sadness is this, that she should happen to be here in battle? Few other griefs amid the ill chances of this world have more bitterness and shame for a man's heart, than to behold the love of a lady so fair and brave… that cannot be returned."

Gandalf slowly nodded with great understanding of the situation that Aragorn had been in ever since he had met Éowyn.

"…She's not the only one who suffers great injury," interjected Aoshi, "there is another who lies in dire need within the city. His name is Faramir, son of the Steward, and brother… of Boromir."

Everyone gasped at this revelation, to hear that Boromir, whom they all knew, had a brother…

"…Sir Boromir's brother," said Kenshin in a small, forlorn voice.

Théoden was also found dead among the many fighters that have died. The soldiers carried him to Rath Dinen and lay to rest there, being that Théoden was of nobility, and was born in the land of Gondor.

Éomer continued to weep for and hold his fallen sister, tightly, for long moments… before he could release her and let her be borne away to Minas Tirith… into the Houses of Healing. Everyone was pleased to know… that Éowyn was still alive, but was just hanging onto her life by a thread. All of the other injured of Minas Tirith, consisting of the soldiers and civilians were brought there as well, along with the injured Rohirrim soldiers.

Misao was sent to the Houses of healing as well… receiving a proper bandage for her wounded leg, replacing the old black rag that she tied on herself. She sat where she could look up to where Éowyn was laid. Éomer squatted next to his sister, not leaving her side, watching peacefully… until she awakens from her affliction of illness. Misao and Éowyn were pitted against a foe beyond the strength of their mind or body.

One who would take a weapon to such an enemy had to be sterner than steel, if the very shock would not destroy them. While Éowyn was greatly afflicted by her sadness… Misao's cheerfulness and zest for life was her shield against the shock of fighting the Witch-King. Misao felt that she should be there also because she shared responsibility for Éowyn, after being charged with her care by Théoden, before he died. Preparing herself for a possible ranting from Éomer… Misao went up to him, to try and plead her case with him.

"Éomer, please don't be mad," Misao spoke reasonably to Éomer, "Éowyn wanted to go and asked me to help her. We gathered some armor together so we'd look like one of you guys. She and I even fought one of those Ringwraith characters and won. But her arm was injured during the fight and--

"Misao," interrupted Éomer calmly, with an eased hand raised, "for what it is worth, come what may, you need not waste your words… for I hold you and all your friends blameless in this matter."

Misao settled herself at Éomer's wishes, pleased to know that he was holding no grudge against her.

Éomer went on solemnly, "I have known my sister her whole life. She had a spirit and a courage that could match my own. I knew not that Éowyn was touched by any frost, until she had first met your friends… especially Aragorn. Éowyn looked to Théoden as a second father, loving him as such, while watching him fall into a mean dishonored dotage… and brooded upon her part to be more ignoble than the staff he leaned upon. Care and dread she had in which she shared with me in the days when Grima Wormtongue bewitched Théoden.

"You were there at Isengard, Misao," mentioned Éomer, which baffled Misao a little, as he clarified, "do you remember what Saruman said of the house of Rohan being nothing but a thatched barn where brigands drink and brats roll with dogs…? He was Wormtongue's teacher. And Grima had wrapped the meaning of those words in terms more cunning. I knew very well that Wormtongue's poison was not only for Théoden… but for my sister as well. For Wormtongue had long desired to have her, and I would've killed that snake for it, if I had the chance to do so."

Misao's eyes hardened upon hearing what Éomer had to say about Wormtongue's obsession with Éowyn. She completely would've agreed with Éomer about killing Wormtongue. Misao would've done something like that herself, had she actually met up with Wormtongue before all this happened.

"If Éowyn's love and will to her duty had not restrained her lips, if not her thoughts… then even I would've began to hear such things come out of her mouth as well," Éomer ended sympathetically.

Misao slowly and solemnly nodded in agreement, knowing that Éowyn had much harder times than she could ever imagine, compared with the pain she had to face upon the death of her old friends from the Oniwaban group. Éowyn and Misao were most definitely alike, seeing as that they had to use their wits to take control of the situations of the harsh realities they were around them. And they both cried tears, that they would not like anyone else to see including the ones dear to them. In this instant, Misao became more pleased to know Éowyn more than ever… making her stronger.

But then… she blinked her eyes, as if recognition had dawned upon her…

"Oh no," gasped Misao, "I forgot about Merry. I've been worrying about Éowyn so much, that I didn't even think about Merry." 

"…So," said Éomer, in an unsurprising tone, "…you've brought the Hobbit as well." 

"It was because you guys just left him behind," Misao frowned in her reply, "Merry pledged himself to your service so he could have the opportunity to fight with you, but you jerks decided to release him, because you thought he couldn't handle himself in a fight!"

"…Once again Misao," commented Éomer, calmly, "…you speak your words well and with such great wisdom."

Misao relaxed herself, hearing that Éomer had unexpectedly excepted her rebuke so well.

Then, regaining her wits, Misao explained, "Merry's arm was hurt when he stabbed that wraith that Éowyn and I fought. I knew he couldn't fight any longer, so I hid him somewhere on the field."

As she was telling Éomer what happened… she looked around the house, among the many beds, seeing if Merry was there, but he was nowhere to be found. Then, she looked to the side…

And saw Aragorn and Kenshin, along with an old woman named Ioreth, who was the eldest of the serving women in the house, having a conversation while they were walking through the houses…

"It is said that the hands of the king are the hands of a healer," said Ioreth, fondly, "and so shall the rightful king be known."

"There is hope in the words you speak, Ioreth," complimented Aragorn, then asked, "where have they bestowed Éowyn?"

"Over there," answered Ioreth, pointing to where Éowyn was laid, with Éomer and Misao next to her.

Misao then walked over to Aragorn, Kenshin, and Ioreth, asking, "Aragorn, Himura, where's Merry?"

"We do not know, Misao," responded Aragorn.

"And what about Pippin, have you seen him?" Misao inquired further.

"Sir Pippin wasn't with us while we were carrying the injured, Miss Misao," said Kenshin, "he's probably still out there on Pelennor Fields, looking for Merry, that he is."

Misao gasped a moment, then said with a hint of despair, "he's never going to find Merry. I hid him very good somewhere on the field, Himura. I've got to go look for them… but I don't want to leave Éowyn."

"Go, Misao," interjected Éomer, "go find Merry and bring him hither. I shall look after Éowyn till she wakes."

"…Thank you," Misao said gratefully as she began to set down towards Pelennor Fields.

"And Misao," Éomer called back Misao for a moment, "…give word to the Halfling that I am king of the Riddermark. And if he should feel any regret that he had broken Théoden's command… tell him it is forgiven."

Misao smiled and bowed, saying formally, "I will… Éomer-king."

In Kyoto, the Police, Army, Samurai, and Galadhrim began scavenging the enemy weapons. The Orc's catapults were being salvaged, the Haradrim army's spears were confiscated… even the war towers from the dead Oliphaunts' backs were claimed for their uses. Everyone worked endlessly, seemingly without any breaks, fearing that a second attack would come upon them at any time…  

The injured people of the battle in Kyoto were taken to the hospitals and clinics. In one of the clinics… Megumi worked endlessly, mending broken bones, and binding many wounds with bandages. Some of the Elves assisted her in tending to many of the injured, which were shot by darts that the Haradrim use, but believed that they came from the Shadow. Their fever and sickness was not understood by Megumi, as the Elves brought her many healing herbs for her to use. Megumi learned well from the Elves' tutelage, as she ended up healing many Men with the sweet scent of the Herbs. The female doctor definitely had a lot to learn from the Elves, believing that she could become a better healer than she was now.

Omasu served water to the injured people, who were slowly resting themselves after such a long struggle. The female ninja gave a bittersweet smile, assuring her charges that they would be okay.

"You have excellent tending behaviors, Miss Omasu," a voice caught Omasu's attention, as she looked up… seeing Elladan peer at her with a look of admiration.

"Thank you, sir," replied Omasu with a light smile, "it is one of the advantages of working at a serving restaurant and Inn."

"That is amazing," said a delighted Elladan, "apart from being a skilled fighter, you are also a great server. That is a talent worthy of the Elves."

Omasu blushed at the Elf's flattering comment, then inquired, "shouldn't you be helping out some of the men with the salvage work, or something?"

"I would like to help you, if it is okay," offered Elladan, "father was a skilled healer among the Elves, and taught me how to care for the injured, just like you do."

"…All right, sure," giggled Omasu, accepting Elladan's assistance.

Elladan was handed a pitcher of water and a cup for serving from Omasu. Omasu went to give more drink to the other injured. Then she looked at Elladan… and became fascinated with his serving skills. Elladan had a sad, yet caring face, tending to the injured Men. He did it with such gracefulness, that it seemed to be worked with perfection.

Omasu and Elladan took a break afterwards, and sat on a bench together. A moment of silence followed…

Then Omasu turned to Elladan, "…if I may ask this… do you miss your mother?" She inquired.

"Why do you ask?" wondered Elladan.

"Just asking," said Omasu, earnestly, "you and your brother seemed very upset about when you talked about her like that."

Elladan paused himself… then answered, "…yes we do."

"…Do you ever wish that she could come back to Middle-Earth?" asked Omasu.

"I would like that very much, Omasu," responded Elladan, "however, from since the Elves had began emerging at Middle-Earth… many of us were called to the Undying lands. Many Elves had opted to stay in Middle-Earth, though we had the call of the White gulls over sea for many ages. Now… the call can no longer be ignored, for the time of the Elves upon Middle-Earth is ending, and our people are leaving for eternal happiness at Elvenhome. My mother can never return to Middle-Earth now."

"Do you think about being with her again, since she's at the Undying lands?" Omasu asked further.

"As much as Elrohir and I would love to see mother again… we love the realm of Mortals more greater," answered Elladan, "mother had shared her great love of the land of Men with us, that it had become part of us. Elrohir and I would honor our mother greatly by staying in Middle-Earth in her place. But to do this, we must surrender our immortality."

Omasu gasped, "why? Won't you die without your immortality?"

"Eventually we will," said Elladan as he explained, "immortality maybe a gift… but it can also be a great curse. Immortals can die as well, however… life can be truly achieved as a mortal. Nothing can be truly eternal. Things much change if there is to be a pattern of life."

Omasu nodded in understanding to Elladan's resolve. She then looked a little ways to a building where Ochika was busy fixing it up. Ochika was climbing down a ladder… then she tripped her foot, as she fell…

But she was caught, breaking her fall. Ochika turned her head, expecting it to be Master Hiko… but she saw that it was Elrohir holding her. Ochika widened her eyes at her rescuer.

"I shall be here to catch you, if you should fall," said Elrohir confidently, which made Ochika blush a little as she stood herself up.

Omasu smiled at her friend's silly behavior, as she shared this feeling with her for Seijuro Hiko. It was a little different when she was around Elrohir. Omasu had to admit to herself… that she was acting the same, around Elladan.

"She reminds me of mother… Miss Ochika," said Elladan, complimenting Omasu's friend, "mother always gushed whenever she was caught, or otherwise saved by us."

"I can imagine that," said Omasu, sarcastically.

"In a way, you remind me of mother yourself, Omasu," Elladan commented fondly of her, "mother was also a great server."

Omasu blushed again at Elladan's praise of her serving skills, being reminiscent of his mother.

Legolas, Sanosuke, Gimli, and Saito looked about the lower levels of Minas Tirith, overlooking the destruction of the city, with many houses and places of business in ruins or demolished entirely into dust. The many soldiers and civilians that were caught within the wreckage of stone were pulled out by the surviving soldiers, either severely maimed or otherwise dead.

"Man," commented Sanosuke, "those creeps sure did a number on this place. I wonder now if it was like this in Kyoto, during the Revolution."

"The way I see it," said Saito, listening in on Sanosuke, "this could be ten times worse than what happened in the Revolution."

"Hmm," pondered Gimli, looking at the walls, while stroking his beard, "there is some good stone-work here… but also some that is less good, and the streets could be better contrived. When Aragorn comes into his own, I shall offer him the service of the stonewrights of the Mountain, and we will make this a town to be proud of."  

"They will also need more gardens, Gimli," suggested Legolas, "my people shall bring Aragorn birds that sing and trees that do not die."

"I'll leave you to it, lad," said Gimli, "but remember, you promised to look at the Glittering Caves I told you about."

"As you will keep your end of the bargain look at Mirkwood Forest, Gimli," reminded Legolas.

Legolas and Gimli had been discussing about the greatness of their respective dwellings before the battle began, ever since Saruman had been defeated. Legolas had thought less of the Glittering Caves at Helm's Deep, as Gimli had thought even less of the Elven towns within Mirkwood Forest, thinking them as hovels. To resolve the issue, they both made a vow to look at both the Glittering Caves and Mirkwood Forest. However, as they were talking…

Misao had rushed past them, with a small limp in her leg. Everyone was startled that Misao would run so fast, as if it were an urgent matter.

"Excuse me," said Misao, not looking back.

"I wonder what's got the weasel girl in such a hurry," said Sanosuke.

"Who knows Sanosuke?" replied a perplexed Gimli, "perhaps she lost something and she's trying desperately to find it."

Legolas looked deductively at the dashing Misao, saying to himself, "…that may be exactly what's happening."

Legolas couldn't be more accurate in his assessment… for Misao was going upon Pelennor Fields to find Merry Brandybuck, being so preoccupied with the health of Éowyn, who was now being treated at the Houses of Healing. After Misao went on her way… Kenshin and Aragorn stepped up to the pallet where Éowyn was laid… and discovered that next to her, yet some paces away… laid Faramir, son of Denethor, now held as the Steward of Gondor, though he was ailed.

Aragorn had tended to Éowyn, while Kenshin overlooked Faramir. The Ranger bore some of the responsibility for Éowyn, after he had left her in desperation since leaving Dunharrow. When he first looked on her and perceived her unhappiness, it seemed to him that he saw a white flower standing straight and proud, shapeless as a lily, and yet knew that it was hard, as if wrought by elf-wrights out of steel…

Or was it perhaps, a frost that turned its sap to ice, standing bittersweet, still fair to see… but stricken soon to fall and die?

-

In either case, Aragorn could not let Éowyn die from her own afflictions of despair. Aragorn took a look at her injured arm, seeing that it shall mend in time… if she has the will to live. However, the chief evil came from the sword arm, which had no sign of life, although it was unbroken. Kenshin looked over Faramir, observing his injuries to be arrow shot wounds, just like how Boromir was shot down. The wanderer was also flooded with guilt over letting Boromir die because he wished it so. Kenshin earnestly wanted Faramir to live, not to go into darkness like his brother did.

Aoshi was standing next to Faramir, watching to make sure that all his efforts to rescue him from his deranged father's pyre were not in vain. He would've liked to attend to Faramir's care, but he allowed Kenshin to try and heal him, understanding his strong feelings for the unnecessary loss of life. Aoshi knew that Faramir was in good hands otherwise.

However, even if Éowyn and Faramir were healed and recalled from the dark valley… there was a chance that they could awake in hope, forgetfulness… or even despair. If they would awake to despair… they would die anyhow, unless other healing for them would come, to which neither Kenshin nor Aragorn could possibly bring. For Faramir and Éowyn both had rode to war, with thoughts of the shadow in their hearts to begin with.

Aragorn had asked if they had any Athelas or Kingsfoil stored in their house. Ioreth said that she had none available, however, a young boy named Bergil had some with him, but it was two weeks old at least. Aragorn firmly believed that it would serve nonetheless. The women prepared two bowls of steaming hot water. Aragorn took two leaves for himself, as he gave two other leaves to Kenshin.

Aragorn breathed upon the leaves in his hand, as Kenshin did the same, following Aragorn's instructions. Afterwards… they crushed the leaves and cast them into the bowls they had. A fragrance had filled the room, the moment Kenshin and Aragorn bruised their leaves. It was like a fleeting memory of dewy mornings of unshadowed sun in some land in spring. It had no scent, but the air was wholly fresh, clean, and young, as if no living thing had ever breathed it before…

-

Aragorn took a cloth and dipped it into the water… then squeezed out the excess water. He used the wet cloth to lave Éowyn's brow… then laved her cold, nerveless right arm…

-

Kenshin used his wet cloth, damp from the steaming water with the Kingsfoil mixed in it… to lave Faramir's dart wounds, hoping that the mixture would be able to cleanse the poison from his veins…

After some moments…

-

Éowyn began to breathe deeply, so that her breast rose and fell. Aragorn took her right hand in his, and felt it warm with life returning… and by a miracle… her eyes opened, looking as white as a lily, cold as frost, and hard as graven stone.

"Éowyn," called Éomer to his sister, who turned her eyes to him.

"…Éomer," said Éowyn in a small voice, "…there was talk of you slain in battle. But they were only dark voices in my dream."

"Indeed they were," nodded a relieved Éomer.

Éowyn then began to look about her as she asked, "…where is Misao? What of Merry?"

"Misao has gone to look for Merry," answered Éomer.

"You must recall Merry into service again," Éowyn demanded, "the Halfling was valiant in battle--"

"Éowyn," Éomer interrupted, a little sharply, then eased himself, "…whatever you have to say about Merry… I already know it to be true. Say no more of war until you are made whole again."

Kenshin, while watching Éowyn's recovery… began to hear a stirring with his patient, Faramir. He was grunting and gasping a little for air.

-

"Sir Faramir," Kenshin called to him, as everyone watched, "…Sir Faramir, can you hear me? Awake, Sir Faramir, come back to us. You need not walk in the shadows anymore, that you most certainly do not."

Moments later… Faramir began to open his eyes, and stared at the man that called to him. He saw a stranger before him, and normally would flinch. However, he was calm as a flower, for he had a look of recognition on his face at the stranger… as if he knew who the person was…

-

"Red hair… a cross shaped scar on the left cheek," spoke Faramir with a smile, "…you called for me and I have come. And so, we meet at last… Kenshin Himura."

-

-

Aragorn and Éomer became baffled that Faramir would recognize Kenshin so easily. Kenshin was baffled himself for a bit, but then smiled to know that Faramir had excepted him willingly as a caretaker. Moreover… Kenshin was relieved for Faramir and his recovery, believing that he made up for letting Boromir die.

Faramir then turned to the side… and looked upon the recovering Éowyn, staring at him in return. Something inside Éowyn had softened, as if her bitterness yielded at the first faint presage of Spring. Faramir was moved by pity, for he saw she was hurt, with clear sight, perceiving Éowyn's sorrow and unrest…

Later on that evening…

Éowyn was moved into a separate room, laid upon a bed, clothed in white. As she rose from her bed… she looked at her hands, seeing her shied-arm was bandaged after being maimed. She then walked to the window, overlooking the wreckage of the field of battle below. She had still received no word of Merry or Misao, but still hopes for that they will be brought forth to the Houses of Healing. Éowyn turned her head to another window…

And saw the same man that she laid with earlier, Faramir. His chest was bandaged over the shot wounds he received from the Orcs at Osgiliath. Faramir looked at Éowyn, with the brightest loving smile on his face. Éowyn softened even more upon seeing Faramir again, especially his smile. Normally Éowyn would not accept pity from anyone, but now… now she could make an exception with Faramir. Éowyn went to the door of her room and opened it, as Faramir walked over… and stood right in front of her.

Without saying any words… Éowyn slowly reached out and grasped his hand, then gave a little smile. Faramir's smile became even brighter… as Éowyn lightly pulled him into her room… and closed the door.

When night came over Kyoto…

Most of the men took a rest after all the hard work of salvage they made of the enemy weapons. Some of the men were still on guard, including some Elves, believing an attack could come at any time. The Samurai were likewise on guard, though there were some at rest… like the Red Samurai, who sat alone on a bench in the street, near to a vendor.

"You look restless, my friend," an old voice spoke to the Red Samurai. It was Radagast the Brown, with his brown horse next to him.

-

"Do you need any company?" asked Radagast.

"…Well, after all that's happened… I guess I'm in the mood for a good conversation," replied the Red Samurai, accepting the Brown Wizard's company.

"We all are," complimented Radagast as he sat down.

The Red Samurai began, "I am not from this country, but from another--one much, much larger than this one. When I was a young boy… my friends and I would play 'Wizards and Warriors'. I played the hero a lot, though I played the villain at times. I always wanted to be a hero, destroying injustice wherever it may be. I joined the army of my country to do that. I was young, idealistic… stupid more like.

"After my country warred upon itself, my side had won of course, I was assigned to crush the tribal rebellions that had arisen. I became acquainted with many of the tribal leaders, discovering their strengths, weaknesses, and strategies… all for the purpose of crushing them. But there were some tribes I knew, who wanted nothing more than to live in peace, and were not responsible for any raids. My comments were disregarded, and the peaceful tribes were wiped out without a second thought."

Radagast's face was filled with pity, hearing the Samurai's sad story of his past.

"…I became disillusioned," the Red Samurai went on, gloomily, "as I acted upon the orders that were given me, slaughtering every man, woman and child of those tribes. I realized then that I wasn't being a hero… but someone who was just as bad as any other tyrant that would prey upon people's happiness. As years passed by, I was assigned the task of crushing another tribe… the Samurai.

"That's how I came to Japan. I was to train the army in the tactics of our warfare. But then I was captured by the Samurai and taken prisoner. The leader wished to know me and not have me killed. I was opposed to him first… but he said that we had good conversations."

"Most arguments are good conversations," commented Radagast, "it helps once in a while to voice your grievances in order to develop a good relationship."

"I guess it does," said the Red Samurai, as he continued, "while I was in captivity, there was… a certain woman, whom I had developed a fond relationship with, especially her kids. She took great care of me. I learned then, that the word Samurai meant 'to serve'. The armor that I now wear came from one of the Samurai I killed when I was captured… and that man was her husband. When I offered my apologies to her, she kindly and humbly accepted, saying that we were doing our duties."

Radagast nodded in fervent understanding. What happened in the past was karma, something that the wizard had been very well acquainted.

"Eventually, I was released, and I was about ready to return to my country," the Samurai explained further, "then the leader was arrested for violating the law against carrying a sword. I went to break him out of prison, as I was willing to help him in his cause. When I fought against the Imperial Army… all of the Samurai were killed with the army's gattling guns. The leader and I survived… but he asked me to help end his life, allowing him to die with his honor, since I had regained mine. But in my heart, I felt that I should've died in that battle as well… as I have believed I should have died many times before."

"It must've been hard for you," said Radagast sympathetically, "it would be another tribal leader you knew and killed, giving you another reason to wish for death so willingly."

"I wished him such death before we became friends," replied the Red Samurai, "he was ready to take his life in shame for the life he believed in, saying that the way of the Samurai weren't necessary anymore. But I told him… 'What could be more necessary than the way of the Samurai'. The way of the Samurai was necessary then, as it is now in this battle."

"Yes, it is," Radagast agreed, "new ways are developed each day, that the old ways are easily forgotten. And sometimes… it is the old ways that can be very useful in times of change. But we mustn't fall into despair so easily as you have, in spite of all pain you experienced… for there is a reason why there are survivors, such as yourself. The chief reason is that their purposes had not yet been fulfilled. Maybe that's the explanation as to why you still live, even now."

-

The Red Samurai slowly nodded taking into consideration to what Radagast had said… feeling that the Brown Wizard spoke with wisdom.

It had been a long battle in both worlds, and the fighters were taking a small, yet restful period of healing.

Megumi sat in the clinic, hugging Ayame and Suzume in her arms. Both of them were really exhausted after fighting the Ringwraiths and won. Megumi felt great sympathy for the children, hoping that they would not have to face such terrors again…

Omasu and Ochika were getting along nicely with the Elf twins Elladan and Elrohir. And even Okina was getting some rest… thinking about impressing younger women and chasing them wherever they may be…

In Minas Tirith…

Faramir and Éowyn sat together in a room. Éowyn laid her head upon Faramir's shoulders, letting him stroke her fair blonde hair. For the first time… Éowyn had truly found love. And it was even greater than the love she had for Aragorn.

Faramir had not yet received word of his father's death. Even though he was not told… Faramir could sense that the shadow had taken Denethor, all due to the madness he fell upon. Faramir knew that he could not concern himself with his father now. He had someone else to look after, seeing to her care, health… even her blossoming love for him, which he intends to return, to ensure that Éowyn does not fall into despair again.

Aragorn, Kenshin, and the others sat within the Houses of Healing, as word went out to Minas Tirith that the king had come among them, and brought healing after war. The Ranger's destiny was now unfolding before him, taking the re-forged sword of his ancestors and soon after… he would have to claim his inheritance of Gondor to be leader of his people. But he knew that he could not do that yet, for even though the siege had been thwarted… Sauron was still present within Middle-Earth.

Then, in an unexpected moment… one of the serving women of the house began singing…

With a sigh… you turn away…

With a deepening heart, no more words to say…

You will find…

That the world has changed, forever…

Aragorn was the most affected by the singing. It was a sad, sweet, ethereally bewitching melody that soothed the mind and soul. Aragorn couldn't put a finger on it… but he thought, as if it was some trick of magic or sorcery… that he was hearing Arwen sing…

And the trees are now turning from green to gold…

And the sun is now fading…

I wish I… could hold you…

Closer. 


When it was getting dark upon Pelennor Fields…

Pippin Took continued to search for Merry, having his friend's discarded cloak in hand. He found that the fields were vast, as was the carrion that lay upon it… the aftermath of Armageddon. Pippin was determined not to leave without knowing that his friend was safe…

"MERRY!" Pippin shouted out endlessly, trying to see if Merry could hear him.

"Pippin!" a faint voice answered.

Pippin thought it to be Merry… but he looked to his side… and saw Misao coming his direction.

"Misao!" called out Pippin as he headed over towards Misao, asking desperately, "do you know where Merry is?"

"Yeah," answered Misao, "Merry was injured so I hid him good somewhere around here. Its lucky I found you, Pippin, otherwise you would've been running around forever."

"…I'm glad you're here then," said a relieved Pippin, "can you take me to him?"

"Sure, I'll show you," replied Misao, then began to wince from her injuries, "but I think you'll have to help me. I've been running so fast, that I forget about my injuries."

Pippin nodded as he let Misao place her arm over his shoulder and Pippin placed his arm over Misao's waist. They both moved along, very slowly around the field and the corpses of the fighters that surround it. Moving further…

Misao managed to point her finger out front and said, "over there."

Pippin looked to where Misao was pointing… and gasped seeing Merry being covered by one of the bodies of the Southrons. He and Misao quickly rushed over, with each other in tow. Pippin then released Misao, dropped Merry's cloak… and bent down to push the Harad soldier off of his friend.

"Merry!" he cried, cradling Merry into his arms and lap, "…Merry, it's me…"

Merry opened his eyes… and glanced up at Pippin, weakly.

"It's Pippin," added Pippin in tears.

"…I knew you'd find me," whispered Merry.

"Yes," nodded Pippin, "well… actually, Misao helped me to find you."

Merry slowly turned his head and looked at Misao and said, "thank you for bringing Pippin to me."

Misao nodded happily.

"…Are you two going to leave me?" Merry asked, suddenly fearful.

"No, Merry," replied Pippin, "…we're going to look after you."

Pippin turned to Misao and added, "isn't that right, Misao?"

"Yeah," agreed Misao softly, "…you bet it is."

And with that… Pippin and Misao grabbed Merry's Elven cloak… and used it to cover Merry, making him feel warm and cozy.

Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien

A/n: Long chapter, isn't it? I told you earlier that these chapters keep getting longer, as the sections themselves get larger, and there's a few more to go, and its about to reach over 30 chapters. But, the next chapter isn't as long as this one was. Oh, and I was planning to post this on Veterans' Day, but I guess it was good enough for a Thanksgiving treat instead.

Please read and review.