Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Samurai X Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings ❯ Ch. 37: A King returns ( Chapter 91 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 37: A King returns, Aragorn's coronation at Minas Tirith

Many weeks passed after Frodo woke and the Fellowship reunited at Minas Tirith…

It was a period of healing and rebuilding for Middle-Earth. The task of reconstructing Minas Tirith was left in the hands of Gimli and the Dwarves of Erebor. And the new gates would be made of Mithril, to make the gates completely impenetrable.

Éomer and Éowyn sadly could not be with the rest of the Fellowship when they reunited with Frodo. They both had to tend to their wounded, and to lay their uncle to rest. However… Éowyn and Éomer decided to wait for the rest of the Fellowship, because Théoden would've wanted them to come to his funeral. And Faramir, though he fell in love with Éowyn, had to part with her temporarily, as he had to govern Minas Tirith as Steward, while Aragorn was away. Saito also elected to stay behind at Minas Tirith, feeling that he wanted to watch over the people alongside Faramir… as he did in his time with the Shinsengumi.

Aragorn, Kenshin, Kaoru, Frodo, and all their friends of both worlds went to Rohan to join Éomer and Éowyn… in laying Théoden to rest at Edoras… beside his son, Théodred. Most of the other soldiers of Rohan who died at Pelennor Fields, including Grimbold, were buried in small mounds around Minas Tirith, to be called the Mounds of Mundburg.

At Théoden's funeral, Éomer had already been pronounced as King of Rohan, succeeding Théoden. At his permission… Merry and Misao were assistant pallbearers, along with the guards to carry the fallen Théoden into his mound beside his son's. Before Théoden was buried, Sanosuke gently laid with Théoden… a picture of Captain Sagara, feeling that a part of him should go with the fallen king, since he admired Théoden as much as he greatly admired his old Captain. Katsu promised to draw another picture for Sanosuke, as they were both in the Sekihoutai. But come what may… Sanosuke would always remember Captain Sozo Sagara in his heart.

Gandalf and Radagast had ventured together to Isengard, which was still being managed by Treebeard, while the others were at Edoras, after Théoden's funeral. And there… they came to pay their respects to the deceased wizard, Saruman, having a rather private funeral of their own, neither feeling anger nor hate for their former leader… but with great pity and sorrow. Kenshin, Sojiro, and Kaoru had joined the wizards to be other witnesses of this wake.

Many wounds were tended to, whether they were of the body… or of the mind. It was a very mournful set of weeks in this period of mending and restoration for Middle-Earth. For Kenshin, it had affected him deeply, feeling that this was the same as the rebuilding of Japan after the Revolution.

But then… on one day… when everyone returned to Minas Tirith…

It was a great day of joy and happiness for all! The day was bright and gay, without the darkness of Mordor hanging over them from the east. For on this day…

Aragorn was to be crowned as King of Gondor… at the citadel of Anarion. He would be known as King Elessar, meaning Elfstone, to the people of Gondor, because it was the name foretold of him since his birth that he should bear, given to him since he arrived at Minas Tirith. The people also gave Aragorn the name, Envinyatar, the Renewer, because of his great healing skills.

But to all of his friends, including Kenshin… he would always be Aragorn, or Strider (Telcontar in the high tongue of Elvish), as it shall be the name of Aragorn's house, henceforth. Thousands of people from far and wide in Gondor and Rohan came and gathered atop the plateau courtyard of the citadel, to witness this event, as it would surely be a moment to be remembered in history…

Kenshin and his friends were directly in front of the citadel, as Aragorn requested that they should witness this momentous occasion up close, as they all were victors of the War of the Ring. Kenshin had no objections, as he wore a white kimono that he had woven, with his white cloak over him, embroidered with the White tree of Gondor and White horse of Rohan upon it.

Seijuro Hiko, Sanosuke, and Katsu came as they were. However, Sanosuke wore a cloak that carried the white horse of Rohan on his back. Saito also wore the Rohan cloth, along with his police uniform, as he distanced himself a little ways away from his 'associates'. Kaoru and Megumi wore the Gondorian gowns befitting women. Yahiko also wore formal Gondorian clothing for this occasion. Misao wore one of Éowyn's old Rohan white gowns. Aoshi wore a very elegant formal Gondorian armor, with a red and black cape attached to it, as it matched the stony expression on his face.

Okina, Omasu, Kuro, Shiro, and Ochika all wore formal Elven clothing. Ochika and Omasu's hair was styled in the same manner as the Elf-women, wearing diamond-like tiaras upon their heads. Ayame and Suzume wore Gondorian outfits suitable for children, but their hair was styled like Omasu and Ochika's, with the elegant Elven diamond tiaras adorned upon their heads.

Now, as the ceremony began… Aragorn stepped up towards Gandalf, who was right in front of the gates to the citadel… and knelt before him, his back to the people. As he knelt…

Omasu, Ochika, Misao, and Kaoru adorned the destined king with the armor of Elendil, as Aragorn had requested it so. Kaoru winced a little… from the bite that Gollum gave her. Although it may have healed… she still felt the pain on various occasions, still hindering her thoughts. It was almost the same as Frodo's wound on his shoulder, inflicted by the Witch-king of Angmar…

The four Japanese women stepped away from Aragorn after they finished, and went back to join their friends.

Irolas opened a small casket set upon a pedestal… that carried a crown, laid upon a small pillow that had the seven gems of adamant, set upon its circlet, and wing-like decorations, wrought of pearl and silver on the front, back, and the sides. But the front and back wings were larger than the wings upon the sides of the crown.

Irolas took out the crown… and gave it to Sojiro, who was adorned in brown cloth, like Radagast, who was standing on the steps of the citadel, on one side from Gandalf… while Gimli was on the other side. Sojiro took the crown from Irolas… and went up the citadel… to give to Gimli, since it was his people who made the crown. Gimli and Sojiro bowed their heads to each other as the Dwarf took the crown from him.

Gimli then turned to Gandalf, holding it out for him… so he could place it on Aragorn's head. Aragorn also requested that Gandalf be the one to set the crown upon his head, for he was the greatest of the victors during the struggle against Sauron. And so…

Gandalf took the crown from Gimli… and held it high in the air. Gimli and Sojiro gazed upon the crown's splendor with great awe. Kenshin, Kaoru, Sanosuke, Megumi, and all the rest smiled brightly in this great moment…

As Gandalf slowly… yet formally lowered the crown… and gently placed it upon Aragorn's head, crowning him the king of men…

"…Now come the days of the King!" Gandalf proclaimed joyfully to the people.

Gandalf lowered his hands from the crown, as Aragorn looked up… and smiled brightly, yet kingly upon the wizard, wearing his inheritance proudly upon his head.

"…May they be blessed," Gandalf added quietly and blissfully to Aragorn, his eyes crinkling in a smile as he took his place beside Radagast.

Aragorn then stood up somberly… and drew a deep breath… before turning to face his people… taking on the mantle of his duty and destiny…

"Hoooraaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!" the people cheered loudly and clapped their hands together with glee, beholding the return of their King to the throne of Gondor.

"…This day does not belong to one man, but to all," Aragorn addressed his people, "and especially…

"To Kenshin Himura and his friends," Aragorn gestured to the otherworlders in front of the citadel, "who have come to this world from theirs to save us from the doom of Sauron. So let them be honored from this day henceforth."

The people clapped their hands, in remembrance of the people from Japan. All of them felt honored in their own way. Knowing Yahiko, he took the most pleasure in the cheering as he smirked with great arrogance, which annoyed Kaoru very much.

Aragorn went on, "…they have also fought against tyranny, as they've suffered for over 300 years from where they came from. When their rebellion came and went… many who fought for them, died needlessly… some others were mercilessly betrayed by the government that opposed the tyranny… and there were others who were not able to fight for what he… or she believed in…

"…But despite all that… peace came to their world after the fighting ended… and the people that reside were able to live decent and honest lives. However… there are many others who still lived in the world of oppression and thought of peace as nothing more than an ideal…"

The people of Middle-Earth listened sternly to this sad telling of Kenshin's world by their king. Kenshin, Sanosuke, and Aoshi were especially stern, as they were able to relate to what Aragorn told his people about the evils… as well as the wonders of Meiji-Era Japan…

"…And as a result of those differences… many who felt dissatisfied about the government of Kenshin's world rebelled against the patriots who first fought against the tyrants. One of whom, called Shishio, Kenshin and his friends have also fought against, as he wanted to bring down the new government… to rule and dominate it for his own greed and ambitions, just like Sauron…

"…I see you, standing here before me, wondering if we were right because we won against Sauron. If you think that we were the ones who were right… let me tell you that you are most sorely mistaken."

Everyone froze in shock, to hear the king speak in such a manner…

"…We all fought what we merely believed to be right, and Sauron was defeated in the end. But then… Sauron was also trying to prove how right he was by fighting to dominate his will over us. Sauron only acted upon his beliefs, as was Shishio. In that respect, we are no different from either of them.

"…For everyone here has his or her own idea of what is right and wrong, but that will be determined by future generations only. The people of Japan may continue to fight against each other as time goes on in that world. Though they still have a long way ahead--we… we are just beginning…"

Aragorn then raised his hands as he gracefully ended, "let us together rebuild this world… that we may all share in the days of peace."

The people cheered at that marvelous, historical speech from their king, though it spoke a little ill of the future. The petals of the newly revived white tree of Gondor sprouted joyfully over the citadel, and to the people, for a new day has truly come to Middle-Earth. As they stopped clapping…

Aragorn began to sing the words that his ancestor, Elendil first spoke when he set foot upon Middle-Earth, so long ago…

…Et Eärello…

…Endorenna utúlien…

…Sinome maruvan, ar Hildinyar…

…Tenn' ambar-metta!

-  

As the king finished…

He walked down towards Kenshin and the others, who bowed devoutly to him. Aragorn, in turn, bowed even lower than Kenshin, feeling that this day belonged to him and his companions more than to Aragorn alone. Kenshin became flattered and surprised that Aragorn would be so humble to him, though he was ruler of Gondor.

Kenshin had always deemed himself, 'unworthy', ever since the end of the Revolution. The wanderer gave a sheepish smile to the king's act of humility nonetheless… feeling or knowing that Aragorn had considered himself more unworthy than Kenshin ever was, because of his mantle.

Aragorn then lifted his head… and gestured with his arms for him and his friends to come with him. They all agreed to do so, following behind the king, with Ayame and Suzume walking ahead of Aragorn, on either side of him, as the King's young maidens. The people bowed to Aragorn… as well as to Kenshin and his company. In the middle of the crowd…

Stood Faramir, Éowyn, and Beregond of the citadel guard… who was now appointed as chief of the guards to Faramir, held as Steward and Prince of Ithilien and Emyn Arnen. Éowyn was Faramir's wedded princess to be lady of Ithilien. Faramir and Éowyn bowed reverently to their king… and smiled gaily, when they saw Aoshi and Misao, walking almost side by side with one another. Aoshi nodded with a small grin, as Misao fully returned Éowyn's bright smile with her own…

Éomer-king of Rohan stood beside his primary advisor, Gamling, as he came out… bowing to the King of Gondor. Aragorn returned his bow ardently. Éomer then noticed Sanosuke, and smirked at him fiercely. Sanosuke smirked back as fiercely as Éomer…

As Aragorn walked out further… a company of Elves, with Legolas in front, and the Elven twins Elladan and Elrohir on either side of him. Legolas noticed Aoshi… and nodded firmly to the Shinobi. Aoshi in turn, nodded at the Elf. Omasu and Ochika, delighted to see the Elf twins again, bowed humbly to them, to which Elladan and Elrohir replied accordingly, with their bows.

Aragorn and Legolas came in front of each other… and laid their hands upon their shoulders in fervent brotherhood.

"Hannon le," said Aragorn to his Elf friend.

Legolas then turned his head to the side, as if there was something for him to see… something very special…

Aragorn turned his head towards a banner, printed with the white tree of Gondor and the seven stars, with the Lord Elrond of Rivendell and Glorfindel beside him. Suddenly… the banner moved slowly to the side…

And revealed that the holder of the banner… was none other than the Lady Arwen, Evenstar of the Elves. She was dressed very elegantly in a lime-green dress, wearing an Elven diamond tiara for her crown. Aragorn became shocked to see that his Elven ladylove had come to fulfill her vow to be bound to him forever.

'Go to him,' Elrond mouthed out to his daughter, as he laid his hand on her arm, gesturing her to go to her betrothed…

Aragorn and Arwen began walking anxiously towards each other. The King was still frozen in shock to see his true love so unexpectedly… and alive. Arwen stopped in front of Aragorn, full of fear and apprehension. Aragorn, with great care… took hold of the banner from Arwen's hands, and cast it aside, his eyes never leaving hers…

The Elven princess bowed her head… as her lover caressed her face, with worry and fear playing across his features. Arwen then lifted her head, smiling at her lover…

Aragorn then took the time to glance at Kenshin, who smiled brightly at him. The king smiled back thankfully at his friend, knowing that he was right about Arwen's persistence--she would never give up to be his him that easily. And with that… Aragorn turned back to Arwen…

And kissed her deeply and passionately upon the lips. The two reunited lovers embraced warmly as they continued to kiss, twirling around together with great joy. The people cheered and clapped gaily, as did Kenshin and his friends. Saito only looked away, for these heart-warming occasions did not suit him. Hiko and Okina looked proudly upon this happy moment of reunion between Aragorn and Arwen, after being separated for such a long while.

Elrond also clapped with happiness, as he would miss his daughter dearly, being bound to Aragorn, as it was hard for him to sacrifice his daughter. Omasu and Ochika also brightened to see true love come full circle between two different cultures. And they related themselves to their closely enamored feelings for Elladan and Elrohir, as they glanced at the twins, who were standing right next to them, enjoying the happy moment between their sister and Aragorn.

Sanosuke, with Megumi standing beside him clapped as much as everyone, happy for the couple. But then… they touched a little bit… and stared at each other before turning away sharply, with blushing faces. Katsu looked at them with a sly face, feeling that there's more to them than just plain resentment, as did Yahiko, who felt the same thing.

The lovers gazed upon each other, betrothed to be together forever. Arwen laughed brightly, as she was truly happy that she was going to be with Aragorn after all. Kenshin smiled as brightly as the happy couple, as he turned to Kaoru, smiling at her. Kaoru was also happy for Aragorn and Arwen, with her bright smile--especially for their future as King and Queen. She and Kenshin then heartily joined hands together as they themselves… could very, very closely relate to Aragorn and Arwen.

However as they were holding hands… Kenshin still pondered deep within his mind of the tragic future he saw of Kaoru. His instincts would tell him to leave her behind to see that she lives… but he will not concern himself with that now. Kenshin doesn't know if leaving her will spare her life or not.

For now… he shall swear to himself that he will stay with Kaoru and not let her die at the hands of the white-haired man who Kenshin claimed to be his brother. And his oath to protect Kaoru became much, much stronger than the oath he promised to Tomoe, his first wife, whom Kaoru does not know of… yet.

The King took his betrothed through the crowds further, with Kenshin and his friends behind him. Then… they stopped in an opening…

And gazed at the Hobbits, Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin, who bowed devoutly to Aragorn and his promised queen.

"My friends," Aragorn breathed gently to his close Hobbit companions, which made them lift up their heads in confusion.

Aragorn stepped closer to the Hobbits and added fondly, "…you bow to no one…"

Frodo and the others were mystified… as Aragorn lowered himself… and knelt before him completely, with Arwen behind him…

"…The King is right, Sir Frodo," said Kenshin, "if anyone deserves the honor of bowing…

"…It is all of us gathered here before you, that it is," Kenshin added… as he too knelt with Aragorn.

"Yeah," interjected Kaoru brightly, devoutly kneeling, "you deserve it Frodo."

"Of course," Megumi said slyly, as she knelt right after Kaoru.

"Man, I don't get it," Yahiko said, with the most perplexed confusion on his face, "I also went along with Frodo, so I should be standing with him to be honored. But, if Kenshin and Kaoru's going to kneel… then I guess I should too."

Yahiko then knelt, with much reluctance on his part. Frodo became bewildered each moment as his friends began kneeling to him. Gandalf, Radagast, with Sojiro then kneeled before Frodo afterwards…

'Heh,' thought Hiko, smirking, 'it looks like my dumb apprentice isn't so stupid as I thought.'

With that… the Master of Hiten Mitsurugi knelt before Frodo, without saying a single word.

Legolas and Gimli, with a few happy huffed giggles on his part, were the next ones to kneel before Frodo to honor him.

"…Heh," said Sanosuke, with a gay smirk, "well, I'm not usually the type to bow down and grovel. But in this case…"

Sanosuke began kneeling… then finished with, "…I think I'll make an exception."

"So will I," added Katsu, as he knelt along with Sanosuke.

"The Wolf of Mibu never bows to anyone," said a hardened, pitiless Saito… then added, "however… as a representative of the Meiji Government…

"…I guess its only fair, that I do the same," ended Saito, as he kneeled before the Hobbits.

Frodo became flabbergasted seeing someone who would bow, just because he was tied to the government, despite his own pride--Sam, even more so…

"…The Oniwaban group, salutes you, Frodo Baggins," said Okina, humbly, as he, Misao, Aoshi, and the rest of the Oniwaban group curtly knelt together.

"Thank you, Mr. Frodo," said Ayame and Suzume together, as they squatted on their knees, with their heads bowed down, and laid their hands upon the ground…

And soon after…

The people of Minas Tirith and Rohan, as well as the Elves that were present in the courtyard, followed the example of the King and Kenshin's companions… and kneeled before Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin. The Hobbits looked about the people, overwhelmed by this great honor from both worlds. Merry and Pippin were filled with surprise, but were greatly pleased to see this grand act of praise for them all. Frodo and Sam, however, gazed at the people in discomfiture, filled with great unease.

But even though Frodo's face pained with much anxiety… he had also felt the great honor given to him from the people of Middle-Earth, as well as from Kenshin and his companions… as it shone, and filled about him very deeply… within his own eyes.

Disclaim er: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien

A/n: One more chapter to go everyone. But keep in mind that I already written out the last chapter long before I was able to write up this chapter, which was my very last one to write. It was like how, when the principal photography for the trilogy was completed, the last filmed scene for the Hobbits was the people bowing down to them. However, I've been writing new scenes and lines like how Jackson did, and coming up with new chapters, constantly challenging himself and his fellow writers to try and think of last-minute improvements.

Its like something he said, 'You don't just say, "this is perfect", you're always fighting and grappling with yourself to try to push it further and further and take every opportunity you can'.

Believe it or not, I have been doing that, despite what some other people think.

The lesson that Jackson learned, in filmmaking terms, is that you don't stop making the movie. Or, in this case, don't just stop writing your story even if you've completed your rough draft of your writing. It’s a lesson I learned early in my school years. For this reason, there are beta readers out there.

Like I said, these chapters are a great way to promote the beginning of 2006, since the Fourth age of Middle-Earth has begun in these chapters, wouldn't you say?

I hope you liked how I sent Kenshin's companions to Middle-Earth, and take part in the coronation. One of my reviewers, Kris1rad, was suggesting the same, only he/she wanted all the people in Kyoto to attend. So, some of the credit for the idea goes to Kris1rad. Oh, and since there's one more chapter to go, I wish to take all the time I need to edit it. Not to mention it will save a bundle on my electric bill… hopefully.

Please read and review, and Happy New Year!