D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Heaven's Canvas ❯ Second Portrait: A Stolen Kiss ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Heaven's Canvas
The Second Portrait: A Stolen Kiss
 
“Wow, Niwa-kun,” Risa said, clasping her hands together. “This is where you live?”
 
He nodded, stepping them away from the bedroom. He'd nearly forgotten the painting drying in his room, and he'd rather they not find it.
 
“Daisuke, I haven't been to your place in so long,” Riku said. “It still looks good.”
 
He smiled, closing the bedroom door slowly. Wiz streaked out just before the door closed, and he picked up the furry rabbit-looking thing. Both the girls looked over at it, letting out squeals of excitement.
 
“Kawai!” Risa shouted, scooping up the cute little thing. “What is it?”
 
“What's his name?” Riku asked, scratching behind the floppy ears.
 
“He's Wiz, and he's a… rabbit.” That was the excuse he'd been using for years. He thought Risa and Riku might remember Wiz, but he'd never really gotten out in the first place. In all honesty, Daisuke had no idea what Wiz was, but his mother had given it to him when he was little, saying that Wiz would be there for him whenever he could, and to keep him close. The furry thing had grown to be like a brother- a sometimes annoying, childish brother- to Daisuke.
 
“What are you doing tonight?” Risa asked, handing the “rabbit” over to her sister.
 
Daisuke felt his insides freeze up. “What am I…? I- I don't know.”
 
“You could come to dinner with us,” Riku said, letting Wiz squeeze from her grip and run off. “I wasn't doing anything tonight anyway. And Risa wouldn't mind.”
 
Risa smiled at him, and he felt the flutters in his stomach. “S-Sure. Where are we headed?”
 
“I guess all restaurants in France are those fancy fruity kinds,” Risa sighed.
 
“There's a café not too far away that's pretty cool,” Riku said. “I found it yesterday. We could try it out.”
 
Daisuke nodded.
 
`It's a date.'
 
---
 
“Satoshi.”
 
He turned away from the computer screen, staring impassively at the door.
 
“Is there something you need?” he asked.
 
The man in the doorway grinned. “What are you doing tonight?”
He stared a moment longer before turning back to the computer. “Rien. Finishing my term paper.”
 
“That's right. I forgot you were a student.” The man shrugged. “I was hoping you'd go out tonight. You're so antisocial.”
 
He gave no response.
 
“What are you working on now?”
 
“A report on the Dark Mousy paintings.”
 
So vague. The man sighed. He noticed the paint supplies set aside on his windowsill. There was no canvas nearby, and he wondered how long they'd been sitting there.
 
“Do you still think he's here?”
 
The question was cautious. The walls had ears.
 
“He is. I'm sealing him.”
 
That explained the paints.
 
“How long can you keep him under control?”
 
“He won't be satisfied with the rules. I'll keep him well locked.”
 
The man shook his head. “You should get out more often. Maybe this wouldn't be so big of a deal.”
 
He barely dodged the shoe thrown at his head.
 
---
 
Daisuke had dressed up for this. He was determined to make an impression on Risa, whether Riku was there or not.
 
He'd decided on something light: an olive green shirt and black jacket and black dress pants. He'd spent the evening on his art history paper, but only ended up doodling pictures of Dark then Risa and Riku, wondering why seven o' clock wouldn't hurry up.
 
He'd paused to sketch his next portrait of Dark, deciding to hide him in the background of a romance scene. He'd managed to get the basics of the couple kissing, completely unaware of the black feathers sitting on the window, covered by a haze of rain. He wondered what was going on in this picture, as he often did. Was Dark speaking to him? Was he hearing his story?
 
Daisuke always believed art held some magic, whether it be another world inside of them, or a story that couldn't be told otherwise. He stared at the sketch of Dark and wondered what the man would be thinking.
 
Wiz chirped and Daisuke jumped up, glancing at the clock. He'd walk again, he decided. It was a habit he couldn't seem to break.
 
“See ya, Wiz,” he said, and hurried out the door.
 
He was two minutes late, but Risa and Riza said they'd been there for ten. The twins ordered completely opposite meals, and both squealed in delight.
 
The café was nice. The walls were colored plum and illuminated with soft lights, almost green. The tables and chairs were trendy, and the variety of meals and drinks was infinite. Some people got up to do open-mic, and the others watched in awe as true masters of the literary arts turned into their art. In the midst of the lighting, sweet music, and the dimming outside, everyone who went up on the stage seemed like a true god or goddess, a muse weaving their craft.
 
They broke into the night with vigor. Risa was determined to see France, even if it wasn't quite the Paris she'd expected. It wasn't even Paris, after all. They were north of that.
 
Daisuke remembered the sketch resting beside his computer, sitting ready for completion. Something turned inside of him as he thought of the dark-winged angel sitting outside the window, and in his mind he could see his features: jealous.
 
What was the story behind Dark Mousy, and why did it haunt him like this?
 
Risa grabbed onto his arm, and his thoughts instantly dispersed. Why was he worrying when he had the girl he'd been dreaming about right beside him? Perhaps her own intentions weren't so romantic, but she was there. Riku had even taken off to give them a moment alone.
 
“Niwa-kun!” she cried, pointing at the tall buildings across the small pond in the park. “What's that?”
 
He looked. Before the moon, not quite full, there was a large tower, one that overlooked the entire town. He imagined for a moment he saw a figure on the tower, leaning over much like the Dark in his painting. Then two strong wings stretched out, and he wondered if he'd been getting enough sleep.
 
“Niwa-kun, is that…?”
 
He realized he wasn't the only one seeing it. Everyone else in the park nearby had stopped to look, whispering words of awe and wonder at the figure so clearly seen in the moon.
 
It seemed like the figure jumped, and it was gone.
 
“What do you think that was?” Risa asked, pulling him closer. His heart beat faster, but it was for another reason.
 
Je ne sais pas…”
 
---
 
Riku let out a giggle as she moved away from the park. She'd mentioned something about her art history paper not being done, and saying oh-so casually that Niwa-kun could easily walk Risa around until they were tired, and had left the two alone.
 
Daisuke's feelings for her sister were kind of cute.
 
She laughed again at how oblivious Risa was, and how dramatic she was when she thought Daisuke was acting strange around her. There were no romantic feelings for him in her thoughts, but he was a good friend, and maybe…
 
She stopped suddenly, glancing around. She could've sworn she heard something, like bird's wings. There was nothing though, darkness, slightly illuminated by the moon and street lights. Riku continued on, a bit more cautious now. She could've sworn…
 
Suddenly, something hit her. It felt like a body, and she screamed as she fell forward, turning to see who was on top of her.
 
Her scream died right there.
 
Dark purple over matching eyes, light skin to shine in the moonlight. He stared at her, unblinking, and she felt drawn in by the deep purple. A smile stretched over his features, and he helped up, after standing himself.
 
Why did he look so familiar…?
 
Je suis désolé. Êtes-vous bien?” His voice was smooth and sweet. Riku nodded, trying to figure out where she'd seen those eyes before.
 
Je ne vous ai pas blessé, je? J'ai trebuchet.”
 
She shook her head. “I-I'm fine…”
 
“Oh,” he smiled wider. “I thought you just spoke French. This is much easier.”
 
Why was he so familiar?
 
“If you're fine, I don't need to stick around. But while I'm here…” He grinned slyly. “I might as well take something.”
 
He kissed her, and her eyes went wide. There had been no warning. She didn't even know his name. Slowly, she raised up her purse and whacked him in the head. He fell backwards, blinking his eyes in surprise.
 
“What the hell?” she shouted, getting her purse ready for another swing. “Get away from me!”
 
He winked. “It was nice meeting you.”
 
She gasped as he exposed his wings, dark as raven feathers, gave a final wave goodbye, and flew into the sky.
 
Riku ran straight home.
 
---
 
Risa came into her sister's apartment, a smile on her face.
 
“I can't believe you missed it, Riku,” she called. “Everyone saw it. There was an angel on top of the clock tower!” She paused a moment to let her sister give the proper response. None came. “Riku?”
 
“In here!”
 
The bath. Her sister was probably tired. She moved to beside the bathroom door, still talking.
 
“It was so cool. I swear he looked just like Dark!”
 
There was a clatter and a curse. Risa raised an eyebrow.
 
“Are you alright?”
 
Très bien! Fine! I was just…” The water began draining from the tub, and Riku appeared in a towel. “That's weird. I didn't see anything.”
 
Risa stared at her, eyes narrowed in suspicion. “…You kissed someone.”
 
“What?!” Riku jumped. Of course. Her twin had supernatural powers at this sort of thing. “No! I did not! I walked home and started working on my paper.”
 
“No. I can see it. You kissed someone. Who was it?”
 
“It was no one! We're not discussing this! Go get ready for bed!”
 
“But I was gonna…”
 
“Bed! Now! Go!”
 
Risa smiled to herself. Her sister had definitely kissed someone.
 
---
 
Satoshi pushed back his soft blue hair and shook his head.
 
“Not possible. He can only live in the art, can't he?”
 
Yet… Almost all of the town had seen the angelic figure. Quietly he turned over the black feather he'd found.
 
It could've been a hoax. That was most likely. Dark mania had swept most of France, and anyone would get a kick out of exciting the town. Still… Krad had almost ripped his way out of the painting before drawing the proper seal over him.
 
This was a cause for investigation.
 
Satoshi returned to his computer screen.
 
Notes:
Rien (Nothing.)
Je ne sais pas (I don't know…)
Désolé. Êtes-vous bien (Sorry. Are you alright?)
Je ne vous ai pas blessé, je? J'ai trebuchet (I didn't hurt you? I stumbled.)
Très bien! (Fine!)
I'm not going to reveal the man just yet.
Dark's appeared! And he's stolen his kiss! Daisuke's gonna get over Risa soon enough, and Satoshi will introduce himself. Homicidal blond time!
I like talking in French. `Tis fun.