D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Kawaii ❯ In Which Falling Pianos Help Form Friendships ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Today I go from being quiet, harmless little Daisuke Niwa to 'y'know, he's kinda cool!' Daisuke Niwa.” - Daisuke Niwa! <3 Walking home from your first day home at school proved to be a little difficult for you. Being new to the area, you weren't sure how to which way to take to get to the small house you shared with your mother. On top of that, you hadn't even been able to actually get to class that day at school! Instead, you had spent the entire time either arguing with the principal so that you could wear the bottom half of the boy's uniform instead of the girls' skirt, being shown around the school, and being given an introduction of sorts to your new school.

It was very boring and tedious to have to sit there and listen to the principal drone on and on, but at least you got out of the work and having to face so many new people, which you weren't exactly looking forward to. Stopping to stand in the middle of the sidewalk, you pulled out a map that your mother had smartly given to you that morning, knowing that you were horrible with directions in unfamiliar places. A ball rolled to your feet, and you looked away from your map at it, bending down to pick it up. Running towards you was a small girl, and you smiled at her as she came your way, and you held the ball out to her. “Is this yours?”

She nodded, accepting the ball from you and smiling happily up at you. Before another word could be spoken between you and the child, however, someone had ran up behind you and knocked both you and the girl away and to the ground. Checking to see if the girl was right, you growled, planning to tell off whoever it was that pushed you, but only turned to find a boy about your age beneath a fallen piano. Gaping, you just watched as he pushed himself up, wincing only slightly and making his way over to you and the girl.

“Are you both okay?” he asked, looking between the two of you. Nodding, you smiled uncertainly at him.

“Yes, but don't you think I should be asking you that?” Before he could reply, a woman came yelling and running towards the child, as the girl herself began to cry. When you looked up, you saw the boy running off down the sidewalk. Surprised that he had run off so suddenly, you followed behind him, coming to a stop when he stopped at a fountain. “Hey!” you called out to his bent over figure. “Don't just run off like that!”

He turned to you, looking hesitant for a moment before asking, “Why'd you follow me?”

“You never told me if you were alright! And besides, I didn't get to thank you for saving me, and neither did the little girl's mother,” scratching the back of your head, you approached him. “And...to be honest, I'm kinda lost, and it looked like you knew where you were going, so....”

He seemed surprised for a moment before you explained you were new to the area and had no idea where you were going. On that same note, you had somewhere along the lines lost your map....

“Well...,” he said, looking off to the side, thinking. “I could take you, I guess.” '
I just hope mom didn't send out any warnings while I was at school.'“Ah! Thank you, thank you, thank you!” you clasped your hands, smiling broadly at the prospect of going home after a long day. Resisting the urge to glomp him and his kawaii little face, you gave a slight bow. A little embarrassed by your actions, he blushed lightly.

“It's no problem, don't worry about it,” he said, taking his turn to scratch the back of his red-haired head. Shrugging and smiling anyway, you told him your address.

“That's just down the street from my house,” he informed you, setting off in the right direction.

“Yeah, I just moved in with my mom. Today was my first day of school here, but I kinda had some problems with the principal so I didn't get to go to class.” Sweatdropping at this, you didn't explain in anymore detail and he didn't ask. Afterwards, you finally got around to introducing yourself, and found out his name was Daisuke Niwa, and that you were both fourteen and in the same year at school.

“Here it is,” you said, stopping in front of your house. “Maybe I'll see you later?” He nodded, and after saying your goodbyes he headed off down the street towards his house, with you heading into your house closing the door lightly behind you.

“Mom! I'm home!” A head poked through the doorway to your right, leading off into the kitchen.

“Hey there, _(f/n)_,” your mother greeted. “How was school today? Make any friends?”

“I didn't even get to go to class, but I did make a friend, I guess,” you said, going on to explain all the boring introductions and things you had to go through, and the dispute you had with the principal over the uniform. Lucky for you, you had a 'cool' mom and she didn't get upset that you had already gotten in trouble your first day. She understood how much you hated skirts with a passion, and so you weren't punished. “So tell me about this friend.” You and your mom were now both situated on your couch, and she had curled her legs up under her, turned to you with her chin resting on her hands. “Well, his name is Daisuke Niwa, is fourteen and goes to the same school as me,” you said boredly, already having told your mother this three times, as she seems to have taken an interest in him. “He's the one that saved me and the little girl from the falling piano, and helped me home. And from what he tells me, he lives down the street.”

Clasping her hands together, your mother smiled at you with a crazy grin. “And tell me again what he looks like, (f/n)!” Giving your mother another odd look, you told her he had red hair and eyes, and was about your height. “He sounds so kawaii!” Rolling your eyes at your mother, you got up from the couch, stretching.

“It's getting late, and I'm tired of telling you about Daisuke over and over,” you told her, turning and walking down the hall to your room. “'Night!” Your mother told you goodnight in return, and you crawled into bed without bothering to change, falling asleep easily.~*~The next day, you were hoping to catch Daisuke so you could walk to school with him, even if only for the comfort of seeing a familiar face as you walked into your classroom, but you had no such luck. At the moment, you were standing right outside of the school, looking up at it and dreading have to see all those familiar faces when you reached your classroom. Not many others were around, so you supposed you were either really early or late, and upon entrance to the school you found the former to be true.

“Oh, are you the new student?” an adult asked you as you headed in the direction that had been shown to you as the direction of your home room. “You're in my homeroom, but you're awfully early. It's just down the hall there.” After indicating the direction, your teacher walked off before you had gotten a name in return for yours, but you just shrugged and walked off to your classroom, entering it and taking a seat near the back in hopes that when others arrived they wouldn't notice a new girl in their classroom.

Unfortunately for you, people did notice. The first few people to walk in took immediate notice to you, right away giving you a curious look but otherwise not making a move to introduce themselves or talk to you, which was fine by any means for you. Instead, they took to gathering around one of the girls' desk to talk of the local thief that went by the name of 'Dark', although you hadn't heard much of him except he was a pretty face that a lot of girls swooned over.

Some more time passed as the other students filed in, with you sinking in your seat steadily. To your surprise and delight, Daisuke walked in through the door. Thankful for having the same homeroom as he did at least, you waved and called over to him, but he made no notice of you and instead walked over to his desk, his expression indicating he was a little out of it this morning. Slightly hurt by him ignoring you, you allowed your hand to drop to the side and you sunk even lower in your seat.

And much to your horror, after role call your homeroom teacher made you stand up in front of the class to introduce yourself. “M-my name is... (F-first name) (L-last name),” you said in a quiet voice, not meeting the eyes of your classmates.

“Why don't you tell us a little more about yourself?” the only adult in the room pushed you, either not noticing or caring that your legs were shaking in nervousness.

“I'm f-fourteen and...I h-hate skirts,” you said shyly but bluntly, walking down the aisle of desks back to your own before the teacher could push you to say anymore. A few gave you odd looks at the bit of information you provided, and you were happy that nobody made any comments on the weird tidbit you provided on yourself. You passed Daisuke who gave you a quick glance but did not greet or smile in a friendly way to you, which made you feel even more hurt than before. Maybe Daisuke wasn't so nice after all...maybe he thought now that you were in school, around others, you weren't good enough?

Oh well. This was just how things went, you supposed; you were never good at making friends anyway. The rest of the day uneventful, with you eating lunch alone. A couple of times you tried unsuccessfully to greet Daisuke, but he just seemed to out of it to take notice of you. Sighing as the day finally took it's end, you headed out of the school with your bag slung over your shoulder, heading off in the direction of your home. You had made sure you knew your way home that day, to avoid getting lost again. Deep in thought, you didn't notice anybody calling out your name.

When you finally did, you turned to find Daisuke running towards you, waving to get your attention. “(First Name)!” he called, and you were about to raise your hand to wave back, but remembered how he had ignored you during school so you dropped your hand and turned back around, continuing to walk home.You couldn't see it, but Daisuke had blinked confusedly, wondering why you had turned from him, but ran faster to catch up to you, slowing down to walk beside you. “(First Name)? Are you okay?”

“Of course I am,” you replied hotly. “Who wouldn't be after being ignored all day by the only person they know in their new school?” His eyes widened, and he looked sincerely apologetic.

“Oh, I'm sorry! I really didn't mean to, I was just -”“-sorta out of it all day. Yeah, I saw that. But you think you could have just taken a moment to wave back all those times I tried to get your attention,” you said, even though you had already forgiven him. Hey, it wasn't like you could help it! His apologetic face and cute, big eyes seemed to be able to work their charm on you easily. Shaking that thought, you looked over at him, smiling to let him know you forgave him either way. He smiled shyly back, and the both of you fell into a comfortable silence.

As you approached the street you both lived on, Daisuke stopped and turned to you. “Ah, I almost forgot! This may be a little sudden, but my mom wanted to know if you'd come over for dinner tonight.”“Eh, why?” Daisuke shrugged.

“She said she wants to meet the other person I saved, because the girl and her mother from yesterday came over to thank me,” he said shyly, seemingly a little embarrassed that he was being made into such a hero for the deed.

“A-alright.... I'll have to ask my mom about it though, but she'll be okay with it,” you told him. “What time do you want me at your house? And more importantly -” you looked around the street “-which one is your house?”After indicating his house, you told him you'd see him later and you headed off in the direction of your house, thankful for the fact that you had cleared things up with Daisuke and that you'd have at least one friend here.