D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Noose ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 

 
 
SHONEN AI WARNING!!!
WRITTEN UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF STRANGE HAPPENINGS AT SCHOOL
NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, ESPECIALLY BY THE REAL CAST OF D N ANGEL

 
 
 
“…Dark? You up?” Krad swung off the couch where he'd inadvertently dozed off and, ignoring the “GAME OVER” sign flashing on the dorm's microscopic screen, padded into the hallway of rooms that made up the rest of the east dormitory compound. “Hey, listen. About what I said before, I really didn't mean it. And…uh…hello?”
The angel stared at the row of doors, most of them closed. He could believe that he'd laughed when the principal had run out of his office and bumped into Dark, knocking him to the floor. He couldn't believe what he'd said. Just because more than the man's shoes had touched the facility's hospital-clean floors, he'd gone on a whole rant. The faculty had been compelled to join in.
“Trouble maker…”
“Only one here with black wings! He's defective.”
“He hit me! Didn't you see, young man? Didn't he hit me?”
The principal knew all the teachers. He could have them make his life a living…well, you know. And Dark was used to it. He'd been hearing that since he got here. And they were friends, right? Well, not friends exactly. They knew each other very well, and were always competing. Dark, being a century or so younger, was usually the one who had to cough up a few yen, or do somebody's laundry, etc. But he also came to Krad for advice, when he wasn't outfoxing some member of the faculty who asked why he'd been wearing the female version of the uniform last night. And Krad, incidentally, depended on Dark for a way to keep himself occupied since he had so many free periods. Wasn't that called symbiosis? The afore-mentioned angel's door was ajar. Krad slipped inside and glanced around. He was sure he'd heard—yes, there was some sort of movement sound coming from the bathroom. Something caught Krad's eye. A note.
“Maybe I really wasn't supposed to exist after all.”
It took a moment to register what exactly the note meant. By the time it had, he was standing in front of the bathroom door and pushing it open, staring at what would probably stay with him the rest of his life.
Krad's eyes widened as he followed the rough nylon cord from its place on the ceiling, across the places where it had been inexpertly coiled, to the familiar collar of the school's uniform.
“DARK!! What are you doing?!!”
A pair of misted-over eyes met his, hardened, and then flinched as two pairs of feet moved at once: One pair stepping from the worn orange Formica countertop, the other moving, of their own accord, to the exact same place.
Dark realized, a second later, that he wasn't dead. He was still in the same room. Looking down, he saw the reason: Krad, the lowly scumbag who'd just turned him in an hour ago was standing there with his arms around Dark's legs, the younger teen's knees across his left shoulder.
“You're supposed to exist!” he yelled, startling Dark as a burst of magic simultaneously destroyed the noose. “You're such a baka sometimes! Don't you know you're here for a reason?!”
“What reason?” He couldn't fathom why Krad was doing this, unless it was to look good for some upper-crust peer thing. “You tell me that. What reason am I here for?” The noose, unfortunately, had been holding Dark up. He tipped forward, yelping an oath as Krad's grip tightened around his knees, the other angel carrying him back to the main room of his dorm like a sack of flour. his legs straight and his hips bent across Krad's collarbone.
“One,” replied Krad, “You are here because somebody decided you were important to the universe.” They'd both heard that corny little line in the morning announcements for years. “Two,” he continued, “You're here because if you weren't here, then some event in the future that's very important wouldn't happen. That's why of us were sent here specifically, out of millions of other angels!”
“Hmm.”
“Besides…If you weren't here, who could I annoy? Huh? You're important, Dark.”
“Not according to—”
“To who? The bunch of scumballs who call themselves faculty? Don't listen to them…” He turned and flipped Dark over his shoulder, the younger angel landing on the threadbare, ugly orange couch that had been there for centuries. Literally. “Who told you they were important, hmm?”
“They control everything. Even if they aren't important—and I know they really aren't—even so at least they can make a difference in the way my life works; I can't and it's my life! They hate that, you know.”
“Hate what?”
“Anyone who tries to make a difference. Which is why I can't.”
“That's where you're wrong.” Krad lay down on the couch as well, pinning Dark underneath him. “You can make a lot of differences. For example,” He slipped his hand under the angel's head, letting Dark's hair slip through his fingers. “You could do something about how things are handled here. You could start here and find a powerful place to be with your education.” Krad's eyes took on a familiar spark. “Then you can come back and have the whole place demolished, if you still care by then.”
“Let me up.”
“Not until you promise, Dark.”
“Promise what?”
“That you will never hurt yourself like that again.”
“I didn't hurt myself!”
“You would've. Now promise me that you won't try this again. Or anything else that allows you to hurt yourself. Or I won't let you up.”
“Krad, quit it and let me—”
“Not until you promise me.”
“But—”
“No.”
Dark searched Krad's gaze for a moment. He sighed. “Okay. I promise.” …that my name is Dark.
“You promise what?”
“I promise not to hurt myself.” …within the next twenty-four hours.
“For how long, Dark. Come on. Say it.”
“I promise not to hurt myself ever again.” …without good reason.
“No caveats, Dark.”
“Fine. No caveats.”
“Your words bind, you know.”
“I know. I said it.” he sighed. “And now I have to spend the next five years here learning information that I'll never use, living Dante's entire journey through Hell in eight periods flat, every day and you just took away my only escape! Are you happy now, Krad?”
Smiling, Krad pulled Dark up and into his lap, not breaking their kiss for another two minutes. “Yes, I'm happy now. Thank you.”