D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Scandalous ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Advance 3:
 
Disclaimer: Don't own DN Angel or Ronin Warriors. I own Emiko's tea party companions though.
 
Warnings: Nothing new.
 
“So tell me,” Dark leaned over dangerously close to Daisuke, with whom he was seated. “What are the main attractions of the countryside?” The redhead forced himself to smile at the other, although in truth he would have rather killed the man with his glaive.
 
Setting down his goblet, the lord replied, “We-ell, there are some…uh…nice…hunting places…and, um, a village a little to the north. You must have passed it on your way here. And there's a…” He trailed off, seeing that Dark didn't seem to be paying any attention to him. Although part of him was indignant that the other wasn't listening, he was mostly glad that the purple-haired lord wasn't trying to do things to him.
 
“I'm sorry, did you say something?” Stunned, Daisuke looked up and crimson met amethyst once more. Dark smiled and continued to explain, “My deepest apologies; I was so caught up in admiring your appearance this morning that I am afraid I…” He let his sentence trail off meaningfully. The younger one flushed slightly and looked up at his companion, who merely smiled. Kosuke and Emiko were oblivious to the conversation taking place just a seat away from them, and for this Daisuke wasn't sure whether he was grateful or frightened. The next words to slip out of the heir to Blackwing's estates, however, frightened him to no end. “Oh; your father has kindly offered me a tour of the land around here, so I thought I would ask you so that I know a little of what to expect.” Dark leaned in closer and smiled warmly at the other. “I'm looking forward to it. What time would you propose, honoured host?”
 
Daisuke squirmed slightly and fought the urge to whine. He was embarrassed, his mind was not full-functional due to the hour of the morning and he was close to running late for glaive practice. “My deepest apologies,” he stammered out again and briefly noticed that he seemed to be using that phrase very often as of late, “but I am afraid I have lessons to attend to. My father wishes me to learn more and-and I do not know if I will have time anywhere in the near future.” Emiko leaned over at this point and beamed at her son.
 
“Oh, don't worry Dai-chan,” the lady said cheerfully. “Your father told me last night, but he didn't tell you because you had already gone to bed. Your lessons are cancelled once more, but to make up for this lapse you will have more homework. Your tutors will be leaving you homework in your room, and they expect to have it all completed by the time you see them next. Sir Mouri does, however, wish to speak with you when you have time for him.” Daisuke wondered what the knight wanted to say; the lecture of yesterday was still fresh in his mind. Still, he resolved to study harder as penance for the lie, even if he had already apologized. “Today, you will go riding with Dark and show him our lands.” All thoughts of penance and confession at the church were promptly dispelled; riding with the infuriating Lord Dark Mousy of House Blackwing was a punishment within itself.
 
As soon as Lady Emiko turned away to talk to her husband, Dark smiled sweetly at Daisuke. The redhead felt obliged to say something to Dark regarding their earlier conversation and blurted something out about how he did not know until a minute ago, and how he would be honoured to accompany the other. Dark waved off the stammered apologies and told Daisuke, “There is no need to apologise. If anything, I am the one at fault for bringing something like this up so abruptly.” The redhead blushed once more before quickly rising; the meal was over and he needed to change for his ride with the other.
 
Two hours later:
 
“Open the gates, it's Lord Daisuke and Lord Dark!” The two aforementioned lords smiled and thanked the guards-they weren't that ill-mannered-and left the castle grounds for the day. They were dressed in plainer clothes than usual and resembled prosperous merchants. It turned out that Daisuke was known in the nearby towns and villages on account of his sneaking out as a child in the guise of a merchant's son and thus it would be easier to converse with the townspeople. Since the guards were used to this sort of thing happening-their king did it on a regular basis to keep up with current events and to keep an eye on the tide of public opinion-they did not wonder about the plain garb. Dark merely smiled when Daisuke explained his logic and then told the other of his own exploits in the towns near Castle Blackwing.
 
Daisuke couldn't believe just how…well, how courteously Dark was behaving towards him. His purple eyes glowed with a new light as soon as they had left the castle and his cool manners all vanished, to be replaced with a genuine smile. It was as though he had lowered his guard and become a completely different person. They reached the town within ten minutes and dismounted, choosing to lead their horses through the streets. Daisuke became the perfect guide, eager to show this new Dark all the places he normally visited. “We'll have to stable the horses first, though,” he explained as they walked through the bustling streets. Daisuke received greetings from almost everyone, and many asked him where his friend was from. Dark himself received smiles from most of the younger girls and he waved to them all jauntily, flashing a wink here and a smile there.
 
Finally they arrived at their destination; a large stable. Without even staring, Daisuke walked his horse into the place and handed the reins to a hostler who dropped out of nowhere. “Good day,” the redhead cheerily greeted the other. The gnarled old man nodded and smiled, revealing a mouth full of chipped or missing teeth. “Could you please bring my friend's horse and mine to the stables?” The hostler nodded, but didn't say anything. With a tilt of his cap and a tug of the reins, he took both horses. Daisuke looked at Dark and beamed. “Shall we?” The viscount nodded and both men walked out into the sunlit streets.
 
They were standing in front of one of the many snack stalls scattered around the town square. Since they had not brought lunch out-the cooks had enough to do without preparing a five-course picnic for them-they decided to see what bits of food they could find in the marketplace. Daisuke had insisted that the stalls served better food than any of the inns or eateries did, so here they were, juggling skewers of chicken and small paper bags of other foods. Dark was still not too sure about the quality, but since he was trying a different tack with Daisuke, he let the other show him around the town. Personally, there wasn't anything he hadn't seen before, but it was worth the hassle if it meant that he would have the redhead eating out of the palm of his hand more quickly. However, he was hard-pressed to repress a gag when one of the girls shyly gave Daisuke a flower. How disgusting, he thought. There was no such thing as love, only lust, and those who failed to understand this were all fools. He didn't have anything against them, but he did rather dislike their insistence upon romantic sunsets. Well, no matter. He would get what he wanted and that was all that counted.
 
“Dai-chan,” he said after finally coming up with a good excuse to get the redhead away from the girl. “I thought you said you would show me the church?” He leaned closer and nuzzled the other's ear possessively, shooting a furtive glance at the girl. She frowned lightly at the open display of affection whilst Daisuke hastily pushed him away. Dark dramatically placed a hand to his forehead in a gesture of rejection and moaned, “My love, you have deserted me!” Daisuke blushed, hastily thanked the girl for the flower and her trouble, and hustled his older companion out the door.
 
The redhead turned to face his companion, ignoring the fact that he was still holding Dark's wrist. “What are you doing?” He hissed. “I'll get in trouble for this!” Dark laughed light-heartedly and waved his hand airily.
 
“Calm down, it's just a joke.” At the redhead's incredulous stare, Dark continued sarcastically. “You know, when someone says something that's meant to be funny?”
Daisuke continued to stare.
 
“Never mind,” the viscount sighed. At the crestfallen look on Daisuke's face, however, he forced himself to smile. “Come on, little one. You said you'd show me the church.” Daisuke looked up at him and slowly nodded, red eyes brimming once more with hope. He really is like a child, Dark thought. He just bounces right back.
 
They arrived at the church just in time for Mass. Although Dark was not a particularly religious person by nature, there was no way to wriggle out of attending the service; Daisuke had already entered the church and was sitting towards the back of the large structure. Dark took this time to admire the statues and the stained glass windows. Although he knew that this was a prosperous town, he hadn't thought that the church would be this beautiful. Aside from the austere, grey stone walls, the stained glass windows threw coloured shards of light across the pews and the altar. The statues themselves all held a sort of grey dignity. Settling down next to Daisuke, he sat through the entire ceremony and when Communion came around, he stared at the little wafer disdainfully. How can this little thing be our-my-salvation? He thought scornfully. There is no God. A glance around the place, however, revealed that he was probably the only one who thought so. He looked at the organ player, who had struck up a haunting tune. The choir was singing, and some of the people joined in. For a moment, Dark let himself listen to the words and the simple melody, smiling a little at the language. It was nowhere near what he was used to, but he guessed that had he been a better person, had he grown up in one of these houses, the wistful lyrics would have struck a chord in him too. He indulged in this fantasy for a while, but then laughed bitterly to himself. There would be no rest for him, no place to lay his head. There wouldn't even be a Good Shepherd to guide him home; there would only be a tall, hooded and faceless figure.
 
Mass ended soon enough and Dark sneaked a look at Daisuke. The redhead looked melancholy and his eyes were thoughtful. The purple-haired lord was struck by the other's radiant innocence in the afternoon sunlight, but shook his head shortly. A shame no beauty can last, he mused.
 
“Dark?” He looked down questioningly. “Is there anything else you want to see?”
 
“Huh…? Oh, what else is there?” He leaned down and gently traced the curve of the other's ear with his tongue, closing his eyes and revelling in the feeling of the smooth, warm flesh so like and yet unlike his own. Daisuke gasped softly and jerked his head away, but Dark moved with it.
 
“W-why are you doing this?” The redhead asked. “Why…why do you keep…acting this way with me?” Dark cringed; for a moment, Daisuke's soft baritone had become Ayako's shrill voice. At least she enjoyed it, he thought. But then again, she would probably spread her legs for anyone who asked. The crudity of his thoughts would have shocked everyone, but he didn't care. It was the truth, and it wasn't as though anyone would ever see his thoughts.
 
Dark pretended to think for a moment, then pulled away and smiled at the other winningly. “Hm…I don't feel like telling you here.” At the look of thwarted frustration on the other's face, he laughed a little. “Are there any more interesting places to visit, or shall we just ride home?” Daisuke cast one look around the town before shaking his head, still unnerved by Dark's personality change.
 
They were sitting on top of one of the smaller hills, both men wanting to rest their horses. Dark looked at Daisuke, eyes dancing in the fiery glow that the setting sun cast over everything. “So, Daisuke,” he asked, “What does it feel like, to have finally come of age?”
 
Daisuke was disconcerted. First the man was touching him, and next he was asking questions about his welfare? The redhead didn't understand what the other was getting at. “What are you trying to do?” He finally burst out. “I don't understand you!” Taken aback, the purple-haired lord vainly tried to hide a smile. He leaned closer to Daisuke and gently traced a finger along the other's face, even though he knew that his proximity was causing the other discomfort. A light flush appeared on the Niwa's pale features and Dark was sorely tempted to just take him right there and then. So naïve, he thought in amusement. So oblivious. So sheltered. He leaned in and brushed his mouth over the other's, unheeding of his whimpers or the smaller hands pushing at him, trying to shove him away. He continued lapping at those soft lips, shutting his eyes in delight. The taste of purity was always the best and this time was certainly no exception.
 
Daisuke didn't know what to do. Why was Dark kissing him? Wasn't it wrong for two men to kiss? He had seen his mother and father do that when father had just come back from a trip, but he had never seen them do it outside of the palace, or when they were with advisors. He struggled vainly with the other, but his larger weight was too much and Daisuke could only squirm in discomfort. He knew that he should feel disgust and shame for letting another kiss him, but frighteningly enough it didn't bother him. It was strange, but it wasn't unpleasant like the priests always said. He was, however, frightened and desperately tried to push the other off him. Finally, the other pulled away and looked at him, amethyst eyes dancing in the dying sunlight. The redhead quickly stood up, ran to his horse and rode back home in a fast gallop. The other just stood there, smiling whilst the wind whistled its lonely melody and the trees rustled in time with it. Run, run as fast as you can. I'll not chase you, little one. You'll come back.
 
Back at the castle, Daisuke was terrified. He was convinced that he was going to go to Hell after what he had just done. Sodomy. He had just participated in an act of sodomy. He hastily threw on a set of robes and rushed to the church, desperate to find some salvation. Halfway there, he stopped. He didn't know what the priest would say. What if, as soon as he confessed, the priest excommunicated him from the Holy Church? What if he denounced him to his parents? Daisuke balked at the thought and the feeling of shame only increased as he stood there, indecisive and unsure of himself. He looked around at the servants in the hallway. Why wasn't anyone shouting at him, calling him names, sneering at him? Why wasn't anyone coming after him with a weapon? He clapped a hand to his mouth and ran back, back to the safety of his own room, squeezing his eyes shut to avoid the stares of the servants. He didn't know what to do.
 
Dark handed Nyx's(1) reigns to the castle hostler, pushing a few silver coins into the other man's hand as compensation for any kicks he might receive from the stallion. Smiling at the mere thought of seeing Daisuke at dinner, he walked back into the castle, intent on changing into more suitable palace clothes.
 
-----------------------------------------------------
 
Lady Emiko was staying at Duchess Araschetta's for a week or so. Although she had no love for the woman, she didn't want to decline the invitation, as it would give rise to only about two hundred different rumours. She was seated at a table in the garden with the Duchess and a few of her other friends, or more accurately, protégés, all of whom simpered and fawned over the older woman in a sickening fashion. The Duchess herself was seated at a table, holding a delicate china teacup in her hands. The air was filled with the high-pitched voices of the girls, all vying for attention from their mistress. Only Emiko sat quiet. Until, of course, one girl asked sweetly, “How is Dai-chan doing, Emiko dear?” The lady was startled, but covered her surprise well.
 
“He's as fine as can be,” she icily replied. The girl who had asked the question was Lady Noriko Zetsu of House Keran. She was here because she was scorned by other Houses and nobles, and she was desperate to come into her own. Emiko regarded the girl with cool eyes; thick, blue-black hair-most likely inherited from her Eoigonian mother-framed a pale heart-shaped face and flowed over her shoulders in a most becoming fashion. Two dark eyes peered about at everyone, mouth pouting when she met a man's gaze and smiling sweetly if she met a woman's. Those ruby red lips now parted and Emiko steeled herself for the next, inevitable question.
 
“Oh! Tell me, has he changed much since we last met?” Fool girl, pretending she had some sort of connection to the Niwas when all that put her in their ken had been her father's silk wagons!
 
Emiko raised her teacup, regarding the other over its curved rim. “No, I don't believe so.” The Duchess cackled and the others tittered at Noriko's misfortune.
 
Araschetta leaned forward in her chair. “Lady Emiko, pray tell; do you have a fiancée in mind for him?” All the girls leaned closer.
 
“I believe I will let him choose. Daisuke has always been…mature in these matters,” she coolly replied. Let them make what they would of that; Daisuke would not choose any of them.
 
“I hear Lord Dark is staying with you, is that true?” Another girl asked. A pair of large, grey eyes were her only distinguishing feature. Lady Emiko hadn't even bothered to remember her name.
 
“Indeed.” All the girls broke out into delighted squeals once more and the brown-haired woman regretted accepting the invitation sorely.
 
A barrage of questions followed, but the real shocker was from the Duchess herself. “He's looking for a partner, is he not?” Affirmations were heard on all sides and Emiko wondered just what the woman was driving at.
 
“I hear he has a preference for pretty young men!” One girl laughed and for a moment Emiko was shocked. She had heard scandalous things throughout her life, but this comment, made in an obviously feeble attempt to curry favour with the others, rubbed her the wrong way.
 
“You'd better be careful, or else Daisuke may just become his newest conquest,” another tittered.
 
That was the last straw. Standing up, Emiko set her teacup down and faced the flock of gossips with cool eyes. “He has no such thoughts. The last I heard, he was…” she looked around, pausing for dramatic effect, “…engaged.” Little cries of dismay travelled around the party. Indeed, this was the truth. Dark had told Emiko of his engagement to Viscount Emery Ijaelf's daughter, a young sixteen-year old by the name of Della. Cries and demands to know who the second party in the engagement was were ignored as the lady swept up to bed after shooting all their hopes down.
 
There was a quick discussion as to who the girl was, but finally one said, “Well, just because he's engaged doesn't mean he won't indulge in other activities.” The others agreed, and all were wondering whether Lord Daisuke Niwa was himself interested in members of the same sex. All present agreed that Lord Kosuke and Lady Emiko were too blind and were raised in `the milk of human kindness''(2).
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
Daisuke rolled over in bed, uncomfortable even though he knew that Dark was on a completely different floor from him. The young Viscount had, surprisingly, left him alone for a whole day and for the first time since he had heard Sir Mouri's warning, he pondered upon it more thoroughly. Be on your guard around him, Daisuke, the older youth warned. I fear his interest in you may be dangerous. Should you need anyone to confide in…my lord, I fear I may be presumptuous, but…I would be happy to listen to your troubles should you need someone closer to your age to talk to. Daisuke had merely nodded then, hoping that the other would leave him quickly.
 
Dark wasn't dangerous, Daisuke decided after a moment. He was merely…overbold. His advances towards him were frighteningly wrong, but at the same time the redhead couldn't bring himself to say anything, for to do so would be admitting to a crime himself. He shut his eyes, turning to try and fall asleep, but the memory of the other's kiss lingered. The youth forced himself to think, trying to devise a suitable explanation for the other's behaviour. He finally decided to ignore the kiss and act in a coolly distant manner towards the other for the rest of his stay. Suddenly, Sir Mouri's offer didn't seem so frightening after all. Resolving to talk to the other after his lessons the next morning, Daisuke fell into a fitful slumber.
 
Dark was pleased. He knew that the other had enjoyed the kiss more than he cared to admit, which was not a bad thing. Admittedly, he would have scared the skittish young colt, but that could easily be remedied. He would smile and talk to the other, and should he try to avoid him…well, there was always the training grounds, and Sir Mouri would undoubtedly know him as well. He smiled at the memory of the hilltop visit and idly wondered whether he would be able to manipulate Lord Kosuke into allowing Daisuke to join him in a `further exploration of the land'. He returned to his book, satisfied with his day's work.
 
Daisuke tossed in the throes of a dream. He was sitting in church, watching the priest prepare the altar for Mass. Suddenly, a warm tongue lapped at his neck and he turned to see Dark. To his further shame and embarrassment, he was now sitting on the other's lap, the purple-haired lord's arms around his waist. Daisuke tried to force himself to stand up, but he was held fast by the circle of the other's arms. The priest was still absorbed in his duties and swept the floor, oblivious of what was going on in the front pew. Daisuke quickly turned to face the other, only to feel that mouth pressing onto his lips. He raised his hands to push the other away, but instead tugged him closer. The other moaned softly and suckled gently at his bottom lip, not allowing Daisuke to say anything. Crimson eyes widened and the redhead struggled, desperate to halt this act before the priest saw. A cry sounded from behind him and with a supreme effort he jerked himself away from Dark, only to meet his father's disappointed gaze. He felt a breeze brush across him and looked down to realise that he was now shirtless, and pressed to Lord Mousy's equally bare chest to boot. The priest was standing in front of him, holding out a cross, hissing for him to be gone. His father raised the long broadsword that he always wore at his hip and Daisuke shut his eyes before everything dissolved into a jumble of colours.
 
He woke up, sweating but pale. He was frightened. What if…what if that dream was of things to come? He looked outside and sighed in dismay as he heard the cock crow. A new day had begun, and he didn't even get a decent night's sleep. Had he known that Dark was utterly unashamed and unconcerned about his actions, he would have thrown a fit.
 
Breakfast was a quiet affair, as the absence of Lady Emiko rendered all the men silent. Kosuke was not naturally garrulous and his mind was fixed firmly on the documents he would have to read through after breakfast. His son was also tiredly picking at his plate, eating less than he normally would. Dark, on the other hand, looked around in interet, wondering what he could say to the other to make him pay attention, but not disturb Lord Kosuke. “Daisuke, may I have the honour of riding with you once more today? I feel that…” The redhead raised his hand.
 
“I apologise sincerely,” Daisuke said, “but I have plans for today. Perhaps we can ride tomorrow?” Dark twisted the last question into something unfit for polite society, then smiled back at the other before replying in the appropriate fashion. In truth, he was already formulating a plan to find a private place for the two of them. He might not care about what others said of him, but he learned at an early age that reputation was all and that should anyone catch them, his engagement to Lady Della Ijaelf would be completely, utterly shattered. However, in order for his plan to work, he had to catch Daisuke early. Namely, at the training grounds.
 
Daisuke panted hard as he circled Sir Mouri warily. Ask now, he thought, ask now! You won't have time to afterwards, ask him, now! “Sir Mouri!” He blurted out, lowering his glaive and dodging the yari. The auburn haired knight also lowered his weapon and frowned.
 
“Is this lesson related?”
 
Daisuke looked away from the other's disapproving gaze. “No…but…um…you know…uh…” he took a deep breath. “In the library,” he said, “You…offered…” He trailed off, hoping that the other would understand. Luckily, the Torrent Knight understood and nodded, smiling.
 
“Of course, Lord Daisuke. I would be honoured to.” Bowing deeply, the blue-armoured man smiled at his pupil. “But, may we please discuss this after the lesson? Talking is one thing, and fighting is another. So.” He raised the trident once more, and Daisuke prepared himself for the fight, his heart suddenly lighter than before.
 
Dark leaned casually against the training ground fence. Dressed in a simple white shirt and loose fitting breeches, he ran his hand over one of the large steel fans strapped to his waist. He saw Daisuke in the distance, sparring with a blue figure whom he assumed to be Sir Mouri. Someone stepped in front of him, bowing slightly. It was the man in red armour from a few days ago. His long black hair was tied back with a leather cord, but it didn't prevent the dark bangs from spilling into his sparkling blue eyes. Dark couldn't help but think that should Daisuke ever want to experiment with men, he would have plenty of choices available. “Good morning, sir. How may I be of service?” Dark looked the youth over and noted that he wore two katana strapped to his back diagonally.
 
“Please, call me Dark.” The man took a step back, eyes suddenly wary and Dark knew he'd been recognized.
 
“You're the one who was bothering Cye,” he said in surprise. “Why are you here? Are you looking for him?” Dark smiled and shook his head. The man quickly reached up for his two katana and unsheathed them quickly. Dark smiled disarmingly, despite having one blade pointed at his throat and the other at his gut.
 
“I'm just here for my morning exercises,” he smoothly said. “Would you rather that I tell Lord Kosuke of my mistreatment?” The youth paled and lowered his blades, but his blue eyes were still fierce. “I'm looking for a sparring partner,” Dark continued. “Would you care to…?” The challenge was clear. Frowning lightly, the man cocked his head to one side, obviously staring at his weapons. Dark wasn't surprised; most people were usually disconcerted to see a lord using weapons normally only made for assassins. “Why don't you tell me your name? I like to spar with someone whose name I know.”
 
“Sir Sanada of the Wildfire,” the other grudgingly replied. He bowed once more, a little more stiffly this time. Dark smiled.
 
“Shall we?” Sanada nodded slowly, then looked away, into the distance. “Is something the matter?” Dark asked, glancing over his fans to ensure they were in proper condition.
 
The knight turned to look at him once more, eyes blazing with contained irritation. “We need someone to keep track of the score.”
 
“Can we not do it ourselves? Daisuke and Sir Mouri seem to be fine without one.” He said this deliberately in order to goad his opponent further. The Wildfire Knight's shoulders tensed, but he did not say anything in response.
 
“Sir Mouri is teaching. He is merely sparring with Daisuke to teach him. We, on the other hand, are sparring to win.” Dark nodded, rolling his eyes at the other's red back. He decided that as pretty as Sanada was, he would be too much work for only a night's pleasure. He looked at Daisuke swiftly, relieved to find that the other was being lectured for a particularly clumsy and dangerous move. At least the pretty redhead wouldn't be leaving for a while.
 
“Hashiba!” Sanada's roar brought the noble back to his senses. “Can you count for Lord Mousy, please?” The blue-haired archer appeared out of nowhere, still holding his golden bow.
 
“Ya nevah call me Hashiba,” the other remarked in his twangy accent. “Got a good reason?” Sanada nodded stiffly and as blue eyes met amethyst, Rowen's eyebrows rose.
 
“Good mornin' ta ya, sir,” he said, bowing. Dark ran his eyes over the archer's figure, noting that it was quite lithe and seemed agile. Without warning, though, the other suddenly collapsed on the ground. The Wildfire Knight seemed concerned for his friend; dropping to his knees, he quickly helped the other man up.
 
“Are you all right, R-Hashiba?” He stiffly asked. The dark blue-clad knight nodded, batting the other's hands away. Dark smiled.
 
“Please, don't restrain yourselves on my account. Besides, it would be nice to know the birth names of two such warriors as yourselves.” Sanada flushed and turned away, trotting back to his side of the field muttering whilst the blue-haired man bowed low once more, shooting a worried look at his friend.
 
“Mah name is Sir Rowen Hashiba of the Strata. Ah think ya've met mah frien' already, mah lord,” he replied. Dark smiled at him, hinting that he wanted the other knight's name, but oddly enough the other didn't respond. “Take yer places!” He called, looking at both sides of the field to make sure both men were ready. Dark got into his battle stance, fans at the ready as did Sanada, who whipped his swords out and held them at the ready. “Prepare!” Rowen barked, positioning an arrow to his bow and aiming at the sky. “Begin!” He loosed the shaft and it flew straight into the air. As soon as he heard the twang of the bowstring, Dark hurled a fan with deadly accuracy at his opponent. It missed and the red-clad knight bared his teeth in a grim smile as he continued towards the lord. However, he didn't realise that the fan would return to its thrower and was thrown forward by the impact of steel striking steel as fan met armour. Ryo fell to his knees as the Dark reached up to catch his tessen, smiling cockily all the while. “Halt!” Rowen yelled. He hurried onto the field and quickly checked his friend over before standing up once more. “Half point, Lord Mousy! Return!” Dark and Sanada returned to their places once more, the dark haired knight moving a little more slowly than usual. “Begin!”
 
The match continued and soon Dark found himself wincing. Somehow, the Wildfire Knight had managed to break through his defenses and now the lord was fighting hard, slashing with one hand and blocking with the other. His long-range fan attack was useless now; if he relinquished his hold on either one, he would lose for sure. Suddenly he felt a deadly coldness slide gently across his ribs and he looked down in shock to see that the blade had whispered across his flesh. He was shocked to see that there was no blood; apparently this wild knight was more skilled with his katana than he looked. Either that or the blades were blunt. “Halt!” Rowen called once more. He rushed over to Dark this time, checking the lord for injuries. “Half-point to Ryo! Match point! Return!” They repeated the ritual once more, coming together in a frightening clash of steel. They didn't realise they had an audience until Dark scored the last half-point needed to win and ended the match.
 
Daisuke was surprised and impressed to see the way Dark handled himself in a fight. He was at first sure that Ryo would win, seeing as the other had a better range. However, when he saw Dark throw a fan for the second time, he was amazed at the other's accuracy and the lethal grace with which he moved. Ryo was good with his katana; he knew that from long hours of watching the man practice and sparring with Sir Date; but Dark was extremely good with his fans. He effectively eliminated Sir Sanada's range by either keeping him too far away to do anything or by keeping him closed in tightly and restricting his movements. He stared in awe as Dark brought one fan down hard across the other's shoulder and placed the razor sharp edge near the bared throat.
 
Morning lessons went extremely badly for the young Niwa. He couldn't get the image of Dark, clad in only training clothes and fighting with his tessen out of his mind. Nor could he wait until lessons were over; he wanted to talk to Sir Mouri as soon as possible in order to get rid of some of the weight on his heart. As soon as Master Minamino let him go, Daisuke fairly dashed back up to his room, dropped his books off in a hurry and then rushed back down to the training grounds to where he'd promised to meet the older knight. To his dismay, Dark was still in the area, talking to Sir Hashiba and from the looks of it, trying to draw Sir Mouri into the conversation too. “I'm here!” The redhead cheerily announced to the Torrent Knight. “Good day, Sir Hashiba, Lord Mousy.” Dark raised an eyebrow at this formal title, but didn't say anything. His expression darkened a little when Daisuke pulled the auburn haired knight away, but he continued to talk to the Strata Knight.
 
“Daisuke,” Dark called deliberately loudly. “May I talk to you after…” He smirked to himself as the other knights looked at Daisuke, obviously revising their opinion of the tessen-wielding heir to Blackwing.
 
“Yes,” Daisuke quickly replied, not wanting to feel the knights' curious glances at him. Then he cursed at himself for acquiescing; now the older lord would be after him like a duck on a beetle. “Um,” he said, looking up at Sir Mouri. “Should we…?” The pale one nodded and smiled.
 
“Let's.”
 
Rowen was disconcerted. He had heard about Dark's questions from Cye and personally, he didn't trust the other lord one bit. He didn't think Dark would try anything funny with the Torrent Knight, or any of them for that matter, but all the same…well, all the same, something was off about him. Or maybe I'm just paranoid, he thought. “Are you married, then?” Rowen jumped.
 
“Uh, pardon me mah lord, but ah nevah said anythin' about that,” he quickly replied. Dark smiled.
 
“Engaged?” What the Hell? The Strata Knight thought incredulously.
 
“Ah'm sorry, ah did not say anything about that eithah,” he told the other curtly. “Mah lord.”
 
The purple-haired lord tossed his hair back, smiling at the archer. “Oh? That is odd; most women I know would die to have someone as exotic as you.” He looked at Rowen and the knight wondered just what the lord was driving at. If Daisuke has someone like this after him, it's probably best that Cye's with him. The Torrent Knight had informed the rest of his friends that he intended to keep an eye on their lord until Dark left and at this moment, Rowen could not agree more with his friend. Still, it didn't stop him from blinking at the compliment. Dark continued to talk smoothly, drawing him in and finally finding his weak spot: books. The pair discussed the finer points of literature and when Dark invited him up to his chambers for a book, Rowen could not resist in spite of his earlier wariness.
 
1: Nyx : Goddess of Night, Greek mythology.
2: `milk of human kindness': Macbeth, Act 1 Scene 5, Lady Macbeth
 
Please tell me how you liked this fic so far, as the feedback means a lot to me and I'll be able to improve