D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Snippets ❯ Four Seasons ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Four Seasons:
 
Disclaimer: I don't own DN Angel.
 
Warnings: Aw man.
 
A/N: Thank you to those who reviewed the previous chapter, I'm glad to see that so many of you enjoyed it. This is just a little piece on the four seasons and the changing nature of Dark and Daisuke's relationship. Call it a tribute to all those `Seasons' drabbles/fics out there if you will. Enjoy!
 
Winter:
 
The room was quiet and dimly lit, as the only source of light came from the window, which revealed the scenery outside to be covered in a blanket of white. The trees were now just brown, oddly shaped sticks, poking out of the ground here and there like so many skinny scarecrows. Although the ground was covered in white, the sky was a beautiful shade of pale blue and completely cloudless, its cold starkness accentuated by the watery sunlight.
 
“ACHOO!” Daisuke sneezed and groped around blindly for the box of tissues Towa had so thoughtfully placed on his bed. “A-A-ACHOO!” He sniffled miserably and rubbed at his eyes as tears leaked profusely out of them. Groaning, he shifted uncomfortably, trying to find a cool spot on the bed. Dark watched him from the recesses of his mind, praying fervently that their link did not automatically pass the cold to him too.
 
The Christmas holidays had just started last Friday, and everyone, Daisuke included, had been looking forward to the prospect of being able to sleep in on a regular basis. However, the poor redhead's system had collapsed as a result of too many all-nighters and nightly escapades, and so he was now confined to bed.
 
Two days had come and gone since, and Daisuke had not heard from any of his friends. No one had bothered to call him, seeing as they were all either too busy basking in the pre-Christmas glow or enjoying themselves in far-off exotic lands. On the other hand, Daisuke probably didn't need the extra Christmas cheer, seeing as Emiko had recently pinned up thick ropes of tinsel and bells all over the house, and the little singing Santa on the doorstep was audible to anyone within a five metre radius. Added to this, when her `poor little Dai-chan' had fallen ill, Emiko had immediately taken it upon herself to festoon the bed with red and gold ribbon and now the piece of furniture resembled something out of `Romeo and Juliet'. Daisuke had been shocked beyond words when he'd woken up to discover that the bedposts were covered in poinsettias and as for Dark…well, Dark was flabbergasted at the amount of work Emiko had done. Truth be told, he was a little jealous of Daisuke for having such a wonderful thing to look forward to and the Kaitou didn't mind the decorations one bit.
 
Daisuke, are you better today? The thief asked amusedly. At first, he had found the entire situation to be hilarious and harassed Daisuke about it to no end, but now he was bored out of his mind. It wasn't as though he could play video games, or even go steal anything when his host was sick now, was it? He didn't get a response though, seeing as Daisuke was preoccupied with trying to stop the tears leaking out of his eyes and blow his nose at the same time. Ew, Daisuke, use a different tissue, will you? The thief pretended to retch.
 
-Shut up, Dark,- Daisuke groaned in response before flopping down onto the bed and twisting around irritably.
 
Say, Daisuke, it's been three days. Shouldn't you be getting better already? Daisuke resisted the urge to pull the covers over his head and howl, seeing as the noise would bring the whole house upstairs and the action would be useless anyway. The redhead gritted out something along the lines of, `Shut up' once more and rolled over, finally stopping to stare at the wall. Dark, for his part, wondered why Daisuke was so cranky.
 
Luckily for everyone in the house, the cold only lasted for two days longer before easing up, and Daisuke was soon back to his normal, cheery self, much to the secret relief of the entire Niwa household. Who would have thought that Daisuke would be the most disagreeable patient of them all?
 
“And remember, Dai-chan, you mustn't take off your coat until you get to the mall,” Emiko cautioned her son as he stood just next to the door, pulling his shoes on. “Otherwise…”
 
“I know, I know, I'll get sick again.” Daisuke quickly beamed at her and rushed out of the door and slamming it shut behind him. Emiko looked at the door for a while and then sighed, smiling fondly. A little blue egg lying on the table caught her eye and she groaned in dismay. He's forgotten to bring his hand-warmer out…again.
 
Daisuke reveled in the smell of winter and the feeling of snow giving way under his feet. It was the first time he had really been able to relax in the snow since he'd become sick, which served to increase his delight. Throwing himself down into the snow, he laughed happily as he rolled around in the white substance. He wasn't worried about catching a cold; despite the absence of his hand-warmer, he felt incredibly warm thanks to the many layers of clothes he was wearing. Dark, on the other hand, despised winter. He despised the cold, he despised the wetness of snow and most of all, he loathed the way everything was covered in a blanket of white. Natural colours, he felt, were infinitely preferable to the bleak blue-white of winter.
 
Oi, Daisuke, he grumbled, can't you just get to the mall already? We need to get food if I'm going to be around for dinner too. Daisuke ignored him, content to stay in the snow for just a little while longer.
 
-Stop being so grouchy, Dark,- Daisuke thought in response to the thief's remark. -I thought you liked Christmas and the snow?-
 
Dark rolled his eyes. -I like Christmas, yes, but I don't like winter. Why can't we spend Christmas in the Bahamas or the West Indies? Or even in the Sahara? At least it's warm there.-
 
The redhead had to laugh at this; the thief's tone was akin to that of a child's whining. -If only your fan club could hear you now,- he gently teased the other. Dark harrumphed in response, not at all amused by Daisuke's antics.
 
Please, the Kaitou whined. We have to get to the mall. Besides, I'm hungry. To emphasise his point, Dark projected an image of himself as a puppy sitting in front of an empty food tray, but this only increased Daisuke's amusement and drew a laugh from the other. After another few minutes of bugging Daisuke, Dark finally got his way and the redhead set off for the mall once more. Sticking a hand into his pocket, he felt around in it to make sure that the list was still there. Unfortunately…
 
“Oh no!” Daisuke collapsed on the ground, wincing at the mere thought of his mother's face when he arrived home and asked her for another list.
 
It's okay, Dark soothed the other, although he himself was also dismayed at the prospect of a delay. You can call her from the supermarket, right? Daisuke brightened up a little at this and beamed in delight.
 
-That's right! Thank you, Dark!- The thief sighed and shook his head amusedly, resigning himself to the growls of an empty stomach for a while longer. In the end, he mused, the dinner would probably taste twice as good as it would have if he had instantly received gratification. Not that he didn't enjoy the `pre-dinner' entertainment, of course.
 
Spring:
 
Dark raced across the roof, one hand wrapped securely around the ivory statuette. The crisp spring breeze rushed across his face and blew through his hair as though to spur him onwards. Behind him trailed the inept police force, fanning out as they poured through the door. Dark chanced a look back and felt a small stab of disappointment as he noted that the Hiwatari wasn't anywhere to be seen. -Dark, watch out!- he heard Daisuke before something small and sharp grazed his jaw, a few centimeters away from his pulse. He looked down in shock and saw the object of his thoughts standing on the floor below him, holding a blowgun to his lips. A feeling of wooziness overtook him and he fell from the ledge. Wow…that's good poison.
 
Daisuke was shocked at the turn of events. He had been admittedly wondering why Hiwatari-kun had not immediately showed up on the scene, but when he felt the dart graze him, he knew exactly who had shot it. He felt Dark's form-his form-falling through the air before it landed with a spectacular crash and dots danced in his vision. Before he had time to process the pain in his head and the accompanying feeling of dizziness, he felt himself rising up again and he knew that With had come.
 
Back home, Dark was fussed over and babied to no end. Normally all the extra attention would have pleased him, but this time he was tired of it. He was irritated at the fact that he had allowed the commander to catch him out and as a result he was snapping and snarling at everyone. Even Towa, who had done nothing more than offer him a glass of water, had received a scowl and a muttered curse for her trouble. Daisuke, on the other hand, was appalled by Dark's lack of manners. He was used to the Kaitou's sulks and hissy fits, but taking out his frustration on everyone around him was going too far.
 
-Dark,- the redhead sternly said. -Stop it.- The thief responded with a mental image of a rude hand gesture and a snarled expletive. Sighing, Daisuke slammed his other half back into the confines of his mind and transformed in front of everyone. Crimson eyes fluttered open and he stared somewhat uncomprehendingly at the spoon in front of his face. “Uh, mom?”
 
Emiko silently offered him the spoon, eyes silently telling him to drink the liquid. He shoved the spoon into his mouth, made a face at the poorly disguised bitterness and lay down once more. “Thanks.” Dark didn't say anything; Daisuke could feel him. He was currently curled up in a corner of his mind, brooding upon his carelessness and poking absent-mindedly at the cut on his neck, where the dart had grazed him.
 
The next morning, Dark was still stuck in his black mood. The hard knot of frustration that had been formed the previous night was still present, and as a result Daisuke wasn't happy either. The knowing smirk Hiwatari gave him did nothing to improve his mood and so the day passed in a black fog.
 
Frankly, Daisuke was annoyed. Dark was still brooding over his little slip, and for some odd reason, the cut on his face still hadn't healed. It was almost enough to make him grab the thief and give him a good, hard shake and then a lecture. -Dark, stop it. You're starting to annoy me, too.-
 
No one asked you to interfere, Dark snarled back in annoyance. It irked him to no end that he should be brought down in public by such a primitive device.
 
-Dark.- The purple-haired teen continued to ignore his Tamer's calls, choosing to wrap himself in a blanket of his own depression and annoyance. A prickly blanket, but preferable to the outside world. Well, to him, anyway. -Dark.- Without warning, Daisuke appeared before him and the thief groaned, knowing that he would never get any peace now.
 
Daisuke, get out, he grated. Now.
 
-Make me.- The other stared at him challengingly, red eyes fierce. In one hand he held a box of Band-Aids and in the other, a tube of antiseptic cream. The scene might have been funny at some other point in time, if it weren't for the fact that Dark recognized the expression on Daisuke's face as being one which he only used when he was extremely determined. -You are going to sit here, and you are going to let me bandage you up, and you are going to tell me exactly why you are so agitated. Comprende, amigo?- Dark didn't respond.
 
Sighing, the redhead knelt down next to his other half and gently wiped the cut with a cotton bud and some rubbing alcohol, again produced out of nowhere. He bandaged the cut with minimal fuss and sat back to examine his handiwork. Dark, for his part, was surprised. It was the first time Daisuke had ever done such a thing, usually preferring to leave him to his own devices. What do you want? Dark half-grumbled. I'm bandaged up now, you happy? Daisuke shook his head, eyes grave.
 
-Why are you so grouchy? Things like this have happened before, why are you so agitated now?- Dark rolled his eyes and growled, hoping that his Tamer would back off for once. However, Daisuke was persistent when it came to his friends, and Dark found himself gazing into crimson eyes. -Just tell me, please?- Daisuke's lower lip quivered and the purple-haired teen was tempted to hug him, but he didn't.
 
Get off! Dark pushed Daisuke off brutally. Look, it's my business, okay? If you want to be a good friend, leave me alone. At the look in Daisuke's eyes, Dark felt even more like a monster. He just wanted…gods, he was a mess. He didn't even know what he wanted anymore!
 
-Dark.- Daisuke sat down in front of him and hugged him lightly. -It helps to talk.-
 
Cut the counselor crap, we both know it sucks, Dark dryly said. He felt the younger one shrug underneath him and sighed, knowing that even if Daisuke had to stay comatose for eternity, he would worm the story out of him eventually.
 
They stayed like that for what felt like hours, just sitting there. Neither of them had been very big on hugs and touches, but at this point it seemed appropriate. Besides, that was what friends were for. I guess…I guess I was just mad that I got caught by such a simple device, Dark whispered finally. He felt the other shake in his arms and looked down to see Daisuke laughing. Hey, it's not funny! He defended himself, but he was starting to feel a little better. Just a little.
 
-Why now? There isn't a deeper meaning, is there?- Daisuke looked at him worriedly and Dark shook his head, feeling a little embarrassed at how trivial the incident was.
 
No, there isn't. I told you, I was annoyed by the fact that a blowgun put me out of commission when all those hi-tech toys didn't. Daisuke nodded thoughtfully, and Dark continued. It's like being the smartest in school, but being ranked as the lowest in exams because you were careless. The redhead shrugged and then smiled.
 
-But you're all right now, aren't you, Dark?- The thief nodded.
 
Yeah, I guess. To his surprise, he found himself hugging the other once more. As Daisuke looked up at him with happy crimson eyes, Dark felt his ears get just a little hot. Blissfully, the other didn't notice and the Kaitou was glad when he disappeared.
 
Summer:
 
It was a hot, sunny day, the very epitome of summer. As a treat for the students and a way to relax after end-of-year exams, the school had decided to take all the classes out for a day. Each class picked a place in Azumano, and they would spend the day there. Daisuke's class had chosen the classic idea: the beach. Unfortunately, Class 5A had submitted their forms first and thus they were forced to pick another option, namely, the aquarium. It was a fairly new one, but no one had gone on account of its opening being right in the middle of exam season.
 
So here they were, standing in the lobby, gawking at the pillar of fish in the centre of the room. Apart from the usual blue and green décor that most aquariums seemed to favour, there were large, life-sized models of fish dangling from the ceiling and hanging from the walls, and the building was structured so that as one descended, he was treated to the sight of the different types of fish at that level of the ocean. There was also a walkthrough tunnel for the sharks and many types of exotic fish, so that one was literally surrounded by aquatic creatures of every size and shape.
 
-So that's why everyone said it was so impressive,- Daisuke thought. The architect who had designed the structure had certainly put a lot of effort and imagination into the task. -It's really beautiful…-
 
“Daisuke, is there anything inside this tank?” Risa pointed at the glass barrier in front of her and frowned lightly. “I can't see anything, but Riku says she can!” The redhead hurried over, blushing at being called over by his crush. “See, there are supposed to be five leafy sea dragons in here, but I can't see any of them?” Daisuke frowned at the tank. Indeed, all he could see was the copious amount of kelp floating around in the tank. There was no sign of a living creature within. Then he caught sight of a beady, yellowish eye. Moving downwards, he saw that the animal had cleverly attached itself to one of the stalks of seaweed and blended in perfectly.
 
“Look, there.” Daisuke's finger hovered just a centimeter away from the glass, pointing directly at the little sea creature. Then another left its anchor and floated up, its fin moving furiously. “And there!” Risa's eyes widened and a smile appeared on her face. She beamed at Daisuke, completely unaware of the effect she had on the other.
 
“Thanks, Daisuke! I wouldn't have found it without you!” Riku rolled her eyes in exasperation and sighed. Blushing, the redhead darted away before he could change into Dark.
 
Tch, how disappointing. And here I was, hoping that you'd let me have some fun too. Daisuke fairly jumped at Dark's sudden comment. Well, the thief continued mildly, I suppose coming out in public is too much for me, even.
 
-Mhm...- He responded absently as he looked at the next exhibit and yelped at the sheer ugliness of the thing.
 
That thing's gotta hurt, Dark commented as he looked at the bloated, spiky toad-like creature perched on the rock. Its hideous, bulbous eyes stared at the world and Daisuke shuddered at the thought of even having to see the thing. Dark snorted. What, scared of a toad? The redhead hastily moved along to the next glass tank and stared fixatedly at the little jellyfish, fascinated by their lack of organs. Truth be told, part of his training had involved an obstacle course and a bucket of toads, and…well, he'd never been quite the same ever since. Dark picked up on this and his ears perked up right away. You are! You're scared of toads! You're not afraid of the Commander, but you're afraid of toads! He would have continued, but he was too busy cackling and trying to catch his breath.
 
Daisuke flushed and fidgeted, feeling like a child. He was embarrassed at the fact that he was acting so childishly in front of Dark, who was obviously so much more mature and so much more capable than he himself was. -Great,- he thought miserably to himself. -Now I'm going to look like some sort of overgrown little kid whining and sobbing.-
 
Do you have to be so hard on yourself? Dark questioned. He found it amusing that Daisuke was so scared of toads, but even he knew when enough was enough. It's fine. Of course, the thief didn't say anything about his own phobia of cockroaches for fear of being laughed at. You're fine. Don't worry about it. A series of ear-piercing, glass-shattering shrieks filled the air as a group of girls arrived at the toad's tank and Daisuke could feel the Kaitou in his mind shrug carelessly. See? The redhead only groaned in response and pushed him to the back of his mind, vaguely wondering since when Dark's opinion had mattered to him so much.
 
“Sorry, I need the bathroom. Excuse me,” Daisuke hastily said as he dumped his bag on the chair next to Risa and took off. He took off down the long corridor and crashed into the bathroom just in time to avoid a transformation sequence in the middle of the aquarium.
 
-Dark!- He wailed to the thief in his mind. -Stop it!- Thanking whatever deities were responsible for his warning system, he focused on an image of Riku, praying that the Kaitou would respond and he would revert to his usual redheaded, somewhat petit form. Luckily, the system was still somewhat intact, although Daisuke noticed that it took him two minutes to actually awaken the love genes within Dark instead of the customary half-minute. Making a mental note to examine the issue more closely, he walked out of the bathroom, ready to enjoy himself a little more before returning home.
 
The warm summer breeze floated in through the window. Emiko had decided that it was a beautiful night, and therefore the evening meal should be eaten outdoors. As a result, the whole Niwa family was sitting outside on the lawn, laughing and talking all the while. Only Daisuke was silent, preferring to converse with Dark or listen to what the adults discussed. Hey, Daisuke…the Kaitou let his voice trail off.
 
-Mm?- Daisuke looked up from stuffing his face, concentrating on Dark. Everyone else ignored him; they knew the look in his eyes when he was talking to Dark all too well by now.
 
Do you…do you sometimes wish you could…you know…
 
-Eh?-
 
You know…Dark hesitated as though afraid to let the next few words spill out. He sighed when Daisuke blinked and stared into space, obviously not getting the point. The piece of shrimp he was gripping firmly in his chopsticks swung limply before falling back onto the plate to rejoin its fried fellows and still the redhead stared blankly. Hey, Dai-chan, your dinner's getting cold. The thief had evidently decided that whatever had been bugging him was not worth the time and now, if not before, the redhead's curiosity had been piqued.
 
-Fine, but you have to tell me later.- Adding a pair of watery eyes and a trembling lower lip for good measure, Daisuke happily tucked into his fried rice. Of course, his innermost thoughts, the ones that not even Dark was privy too, were roiling. He wondered what the Kaitou had to say to him, seeing as there were few things Dark left unsaid once he began. -I wonder…-
 
Daisuke snuggled down into bed, pleasantly drowsy from dinner. Luckily, he had finished all his homework earlier on in the day, so for once he could enjoy a full nine hours of sleep instead of the customary six. Daisuke…The redhead groaned and sighed; he was exhausted from the day's earlier events, but at the same time he knew that Dark probably would not tell him anything if not now.
 
-Yes?-
 
For once, Dark sounded rather crestfallen and Daisuke felt a stab of guilt run through him. Daisuke, it's something that's been on my mind. Well, in truth, it was an inaccurate statement; this something had been on his mind for a long time. He knew that he should tell Daisuke when the redhead was feeling a little less woozy, but this way, should his Tamer take the revelation badly, he would be able to pretend that he'd said something else and chalk everything down to the other's sleepiness. I… Dark trailed off again, wondering whether anyone had ever felt this bad before a declaration of love. Um…daisuki.
 
-Yes, I'm listening Dark.-
 
The thief wasn't sure whether to cry or burst out laughing hysterically. Screwing up the dregs of his courage and taking a deep breath, he whispered the word one more time. Daisuki… Crimson eyes widened in shock, all traces of drowsiness vanishing like a puff of smoke in a Force Ten gale.
 
-What?- Daisuke fairly shot upright at this and he shook his sleep-hazed head. Of course, this meant that Dark took the surprised exclamation the wrong way and quickly vanished, effectively blocking his host out. -Dark!- Daisuke shut his eyes and visualized himself standing in front of Dark. Within moments he was there.
 
-Dark!- The thief groaned and shifted as though he intended to turn away, but for some reason he stayed rooted to the spot, eyes unblinking and face blank. For someone who had just used up all his courage and whispered a declaration of deeper feelings, he looked relatively normal. Daisuke flushed at the memory and carefully moved closer. -Dark?- He asked a little more softly. -Did…didyoumeanthat?- He blurted out. There was an awkward silence and then silently, almost reluctantly, Dark nodded.
 
Daisuke didn't know what to say. On one hand, he felt oddly warm inside, but on the other, he was a little afraid. -Uh…- he stuttered, unsure of what to say. It seemed cruel to leave Dark without saying a word, but at the same time, there was nothing he could say that might not be taken as a rejection. Heaven alone knew how fragile the human psyche was after such a trial.
 
-Um…uh…-
 
It's okay, you don't have to say anything. I know. With those words, the thief made as if to disappear once more, but Daisuke caught his arm and held onto it, eyes determined.
 
-No!- He fairly shouted into the recesses of the place. -I…I just need some time to think…- Dark hesitated and then nodded, eyes sad. On impulse, the redhead leaned up and carefully pressed a kiss onto the other's cheek. -Sorry,- he whispered as he disappeared, leaving the Kaitou alone to his midsummer night's dreams.
 
Fall:
 
He nimbly wove his way through the tripwires and the grid of laser beams criss-crossing the floor. The red light illuminated the whole room and threw shadows into stark relief, and Dark was tempted to admire the grace of his own shadow for a moment before he returned to the task at hand. However, Daisuke was already close to throwing a fit owing to his, `Catch me if you can' challenge to the good Commander, and thus he was not allowed to stop for fear of a mind-boggling scream that would ring in his ears long after the screamer had closed his mouth.
 
It was Halloween night, the perfect time to steal the Skull of Souls. A creepy artifact reportedly found in some European catacomb, it was reported to have a penchant for stealing its owners' lives and souls. Personally, Dark thought that the museum curator had been lucky to have the thing in his possession for four years without suffering anything bad so far. Smirking at the object, he looked up as a flash of lightning lit up the sky and a roll of thunder followed. The Skull grinned up nonchalantly at him as though daring him to lay a finger on it. Being a thief, and having set his heart on adding this particular piece of work to his vault, Dark snipped the security wires around the thing and carefully placed it into his bag. Easy as pie, see? Daisuke scowled and muttered something darkly under his breath, to which the Kaitou only chuckled in response. He was in a good mood tonight.
 
“Heigh ho, heigh ho, back home with Dai I'll go…” he sang under his breath as he launched himself out of the window. Of course, that was before his good mood was shot to pieces by the appearance of one mentally-unstable blond who liked to go by the name of Krad. Daymn, he groused, hold on tight, Dai-chan.
 
Krad didn't bother making any snide comments this time; instead of waiting for his opponent to show a sign of anxiety, he threw a bolt of energy at the other, timing it so that as soon as Dark turned around, he would be helpless to dodge. The blond Angel watched on in sick amusement as the purple-haired teen's body arched up almost gracefully before plummeting down to the sea, With unable to withstand the shock.
 
Dark stared at the grisly burn in shock and hissed as he saw the waves rushing up to meet him. Shutting his eyes tightly, he braced himself for the impact. He wasn't disappointed.
 
Krad hovered above the spot where Dark had fallen for a while longer, hand raised in case the thief should resurface. Satisfied that his enemy would not reappear as he had done so many times before, the angel returned to the museum.
 
Dark didn't know how he managed to return home, apart from the fact that With had been forced to carry him like some awkward, heavy package. He did know, however, that his stomach and torso felt like someone had driven a steamroller with spikes over him and then dumped a boatload of hydrochloric acid on the open wound. Or in this case, salt water. Cursing Krad and his own stupidity, Dark winced as he looked at the sand and grit in his wound, acquired from crawling across the beach in a feeble attempt not to be washed away by the night tide. Well, it didn't matter any more. He was safe now.
 
-Uh, Dark?- Dark blinked. -Um…I've been thinking.- At first, he didn't know what Daisuke had been talking about, but then an image flashed into his mind. Daisuke, standing in front of him, eyes unsure, voice wavering. Flush on pale cheeks, smile absent. Him, regarding the other with a sad glance, afraid to show any other sign of emotion for fear of misunderstanding. A midsummer night's dream, neatly tucked away in the corner of memory's shelf, something that should have been but wasn't.
 
Hn. He wanted so badly to fall asleep, but he couldn't. He knew that this might well be his only chance to find out what was on his host's mind, and after all, he had been the one who started the whole thing. So he may as well finish it. Yes? He struggled to keep his eyes open, but it was too difficult. The warm bed and the comfortable sheets lured him into sleep and for a moment, he felt Daisuke's hand ghost over his forehead.
 
-It's all right,- Daisuke said quietly. -We can talk tomorrow. Sleep.-
 
No! Dark struggled to stay awake, struggled to keep his mind focused in that meeting place where he and Daisuke could stand in front of each other without having to worry about the body issue. I…
 
Daisuke sighed as he watched Dark struggle. -Look, all you're going to do is end up hurting yourself even more because you didn't rest up. It'll be better for both of us in the long run.- It wasn't as though he wanted to wait; he feared that he might lose the nerve to make a confession to Dark. However, it would hardly be fitting to make one when said object of desire was just about ready to drop of exhaustion. -Just sleep, okay?- He stepped over to his other half, who was swaying dangerously, and right on cue caught him. Sighing, Daisuke shut his eyes and thought of a bed where he could place Dark's spirit form to rest. The wanted piece of furniture appeared and the redhead flushed when he realized that he would have to spend the night with Dark, as the thief didn't seem like he would let go of Daisuke any time soon. Groaning slightly under the weight, Daisuke carefully tucked Dark in and huddled under the sheets.
 
Next morning, Dark slowly blinked and looked at Daisuke. He was in what he privately called the `Mind Dimension', where he and Daisuke communicated face to face, without a mirror. The thief shifted, taking care not to apply too much pressure on Krad's little gift and turned to look at Daisuke. He slowly reached out to gently brush a wayward red lock and sleepy red eyes opened to meet him and although he knew that he was invading Daisuke's private space, his hand continued to move until the red strand was tucked behind an ear. “Morning,” Daisuke whispered. Then he paused as though debating with himself, one hand firmly wrapped around Dark's wrist to prevent him from leaving. “D…daisuki,” he finally managed. Dark was stunned. The redhead quickly jerked his hand away, twisting the blankets between his fingers. “I…I mean, I understand if you didn't wait…I just…I thought…” He trailed off.
 
Dark slowly pulled the other towards him and let a small smile cross his lips. “Well,” he whispered in the younger one's hair. “I was going to…but you're difficult to work out of my system.” Daisuke chuckled and hugged him back.
 
Endnotes:
 
You might wonder why I started off with winter instead of spring as people seem to like doing. This is because winter can be said to represent platonic friendship. Spring represents the beginning of both their crushes, summer their ripening and developing, and fall the actual receiving. Autumn is harvest season, after all.
 
Both protagonists have two seasons each. Although this entire story is written in the third person, I'm trying to narrate Dark's/Daisuke's perspectives. I know it looks like Daisuke doesn't really know what he's getting into, but he's obviously going to be less easily swayed, seeing as he still has issues with Riku and Risa to contend with, so I tried to make that a part of this story too.
 
I hope you enjoyed reading this fanfic, and thank you for getting here. Thanks for your support, and don't forget to leave a review on the way out! Thank you very much, and I hope to hear from you soon!