D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Snippets ❯ A Greek Fairytale ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Greek Fairytale:
 
Disclaimer: I do not own DN Angel.
 
Warnings: …I like to think this is for anyone who's accustomed to shounen-ai…so…G+? Nah, I think I'll put PG-13 just in case someone decides to flame me for putting `inappropriate' material here (although why they didn't read the summary first beats me). So PG-13 it is. Oh, and get your dentist; there be enough syrupy, gooey sweetness here to give the most dour of us toothache.
 
A/N: This fic has just been sitting on my computer, unfinished, for the longest time ever. So enjoy the read, and happy Easter everyone!
 
Notes on the text:
 
In Greek mythology, Nyx is a goddess. Not a god. So for the purposes of this fanfic, I have changed her gender.
I don't know how the gods would have addressed each other, seeing as they were all pretty much equal. So I've just used their names.
Each god has two names, to make the fanfic more entertaining. Each god has an `official' name i.e. Apollo, Artemis, Nyx etc., and an `unofficial' name i.e. Ken, Dark, Omi etc.
 
 
Hermes, known to most of Mount Olympus as Ken Hidaka, trembled at the sight of the forbidding dark gates which led into Nyx's palace. The surprisingly morbid Persephone would have died of joy to have entered this place, but not Ken. He preferred the good, wholesome sun, thank you very much. Nevertheless, he was here to deliver a message from Zeus himself, and he did not think that Nyx would come out here to accept the message personally. He was a rather mercurial personality, after all, and it was said that even Zeus and Poseidon themselves secretly feared the god of night.
 
Ken half-expected to see Cerberus' brother, or maybe twin, pounce out of nowhere. Instead, he was greeted by a dark, feathery sort of creature that had a cold, wet nose and large eyes. It chirped once, and suddenly the messenger god found himself in a large, dark hall with imposing pillars. He shifted uneasily, the golden wings on his sandals glowing only faintly now that he was in the Realm of the Night.
 
“What brings you here, Hermes?” Ken whipped around to see Nyx leaning casually on the arm of his throne, amethyst eyes amused.
 
“Message for you,” he stated calmly. “It's from Zeus.”
 
Nyx's smile only grew wider at that. “What, the king wishes me to entertain him once more?” Hermes could not but feel that there was something horrifyingly improper about the god's smile, and subconsciously took a step backwards from the dais. “Why, Ken,” the purple-haired man said, standing up and making his way down the stairs with the grace of a large cat. “Why so…wary? Aren't we friends?”
 
“Zeus wishes to see you in his palace, as quickly as you can get there. He wishes to discuss a matter concerning Earth with you. If you please, your reply, Nyx?”
 
“Hmm…” Nyx tapped his chin thoughtfully, pretending to think. “I'll tell you my reply…provided you call me Dark for once. It's so annoying, what with all these titles and names and things.” Hermes stiffened slightly, uncomfortable with the prospect of having to call someone so unpredictable and powerful as Nyx by his personal name. Sensing hesitation, the god of night pressed his case further. “Oh, but Kenken, you have no problems referring to Yohji or Omi by their first names, do you?”
 
Hermes sighed and sidestepped the hand that was likely to follow such a blatant comment. “Your reply, please,” he doggedly repeated. “It is of the utmost importance, and I have other gods to ask too.”
 
“Oh?” The purple-haired god's eyebrow rose. “Is it of such importance that Zeus would have all of us gathered into his palace, sending poor little Keita into a frenzy?”
 
Ken wanted to smack the infuriating god, but withheld from doing so, knowing that the act would only result in a less than pleasant experience. Sometimes, he wondered whether it would be better to just go to Earth and hide himself there. Humans could not be as bad as gods, after all, seeing as they had less time. “Athena will be there,” Ken said, knowing that any mention of the goddess would immediately attract Nyx. Rumour had it that the god had special feelings for the warrior goddess.
 
“Well, since you put it so nicely, I don't see why not.” The brown-haired messenger god inwardly praised himself for this ingenuity. “I shall come with you.” Oh, for the love of… “I don't think you would be very interested in hearing the same message repeatedly,” Ken hastily said.
 
“Why? Are you going to indulge in a little ritual with Yohji?” Ken inwardly swore to stomp on his own shadow as soon as he got the chance; that was the only way Nyx could possibly know about his relationship with Dionysus. “Well, well,” the other said, patting his head as he would a small child's. “I'll be on my way, then.”
 
Nyx was more than surprised to arrive at Zeus' palace, only to find that there was no one but the god himself. Even redheaded Keita was gone; rather a disappointment. “Zeus, I believe there was a meeting at which you desired my presence?”
 
“There wasn't.” As usual, the god kept his back turned, preferring to face the glorious view of Greece instead of his visitor. “I merely told Hermes to inform you that there was, so as to give you a greater sense of importance.”
 
“How kind of you to consider my feelings,” Nyx dryly replied. “What do you want me to do this time?” Zeus paused for a moment, clearly trying to find the proper words for his request. The god of night sighed and looked at the shadows gathered around him, absently swirling patterns with them and admiring the clean darkness of the soft-as-silk matter.
 
“I want you to keep an eye on Daisuke Niwa. He lives in a village at the foot of Mount Aracynthus, with his parents.” Nyx vaguely wondered whether Zeus had ever considered disguising himself as one of the assassin chiefs he had heard about, those who had a number of people doing the dirty work. Killing was a nasty business; look at what had happened to Osiris over in Egypt. Now, that was what he called thorough. Seth certainly hadn't spared any efforts to keep his brother dearest dead. In any case, Zeus could have certainly passed for a crime lord, what with his cool, businesslike manner and icy efficiency. “Keep him well away from Aphrodite, if you don't mind. She's got her heart set on him, and she's under strict orders not to use her powers. So if she shows up, you show up.”
 
Nyx was about to protest when he was cut off. “Do it.”
 
Dark bowed deeply, mocking the other gods who actually did respect their leader properly. “My pleasure.” In a swirl of midnight black and deepest blue, he vanished.
 
Daisuke:
 
Daisuke carefully trilled another long string of notes on his wooden pipes, delighting in the way such little effort could produce such music and hoping that the sound would satisfy his `teacher'. Beside him, Chihaya nodded approvingly. “You're getting better!” The dark-haired boy cheerfully told his friend.
 
“Really?” Crimson eyes widened in delight. “I'll keep practicing, then!” He promised. The other boy merely smiled.
 
“But you'll have to get the sheep back, first.”
 
“Eh?” With a start, Daisuke turned to see hills of hard brown and green where there had once been white. He realized then that the white cloud on the next hill was not merely a cloud; it was his flock of sheep. “Aaaaahhhhh!” With a yelp, he dashed off still holding the pipes, leaving a rather bemused Chihaya behind. There's no need to panic so, the older boy thought wryly before turning to check that his own sheep were still present.
 
Nyx:
 
The first thing that greeted Nyx's eyes as he appeared on Earth was a familiar figure. She had long flowing brown hair and brown eyes today, and looked much younger than she normally did. The god of night sighed. “Aphrodite.”
 
The girl whirled around, eyes wide with surprise. Upon seeing who it was, she merely giggled and swayed over. Nyx sighed. “You're not supposed to be looking at anyone or using your powers. That's what Zeus says.”
 
She gazed at him innocently. “Why, Dark,” she giggled, “I don't know what you mean.”
 
“Just because you want to look younger doesn't mean that you'll be any more appealing in this form.” He dodged the swiftly aimed lash of power that she directed towards him and quickly wrapped the tendril of air in shadow, smiling at the look of thwarted fury on her face. For someone who was supposed to be the goddess of love and beauty, she could sometimes be awfully childish. “Go home,” Dark brusquely said. “You'll not be misbehaving here.”
 
“So I can misbehave somewhere else?” Dark ignored the question and walked off, deciding that the only way to keep Risa away from Daisuke was to actually guard the boy, not just try and reason with her. Aphrodite could be stubborn at times; not unlike Riku.
 
Dark blinked at the mass of white up ahead of him. Remembering that Daisuke Niwa was a shepherd's son, he sighed and made his way towards the white, praying that he would at least be attractive.
 
As he neared, he caught a flash of red bobbing around, flapping at the sheep. Occasionally one would let out a bleat of protest, but nevertheless it seemed as though the blob was as good as nonexistent.
 
Dark swallowed hard and looked up at the sky hastily just in case that nosy Apollo was right above him, laughing himself silly at the reins of his gaudy golden chariot. I bet he's busy with Hyacinthus, he spitefully thought, wondering whether pulling a Hephaestus (1) on the pair would be possible. Then he saw Daisuke.
 
Good Olympus, why do all the most handsome youths have to be human? Dark thought as he approached the little shepherd. “Good day,” he greeted the other politely, hoping that he didn't seem too suspicious.
 
“Who are you?” Daisuke's eyes narrowed suspiciously, making him resemble an angry squirrel. Dark blinked, then smiled and held his empty hands up for the other to see.
 
“Don't worry,” he told the boy. “Your sheep don't hold any interest for me. But you're not doing a very good job with them, are you?” At the crestfallen look on the other's face, he quickly added, “I'll help you round them up, if you want.”
 
“Leave them,” Daisuke said. “Are you looking for the village?”
 
Ah, so he's not as dense as the average villager. Good. “Well, I'm actually looking for someone.”
 
“Mm…” Daisuke was once again absorbed in his sheep, merely nodding in response to the other's replies. Dark sighed. Well, maybe not.
 
“I'm looking for someone called Daisuke Niwa,” Nyx continued. “Do you know him?”
 
“That's me,” Daisuke replied, a little puzzled at the nonchalant way the other had brought up the subject. “I don't know you though,” he added, frowning a little. His hand tightened on the sling.
 
Dark noticed this and shook his head, smiling. “It's a pleasure to meet you. You must allow me to help.” Daisuke slowly backed away, crimson eyes wary. He remembered tales of roaming bandits who often pretended to be friendly and lured away innocent people with tales of an injured friend, or set up false encounters that lured people into a false sense of security. The purple-haired man sighed. “Look, I'll show you a trick to make the sheep follow you, okay?” He paused for a moment. “Do you have a set of pipes?”
 
Daisuke slowly held the wooden instrument out, wondering whether he might have encountered a madman instead. Dark gave him an amused look, as though he knew what the younger was thinking, before taking the pipes and placing them to his lips. He smirked to himself, remembering just how much work it had taken for Pan to even consider teaching him anything remotely musical on the Pan pipes, let alone a musical spell.
 
Two minutes later, all suspicions aside, Daisuke was gaping at the stranger. The sheep were back to where they had started, grazing peacefully. “How did you do that?”
 
“I'll show you…when there are no sheep around.” Dark handed the instrument back to Daisuke, who carefully tucked it in his belt and slowly turned to go. Taking the other's silence as a yes, Nyx followed.
 
Chihaya smiled at Dark. “The village is that way,” he pointed. “Do you need someone to go with you?”
 
Dark hesitated for a moment, but then remembered Zeus' words. As much as he disliked following direct commands, he did not want to get into another feud with the god. He had had enough of wars, especially after that fiasco in Troy. He grinned at the thought of seeing Odysseus when the man entered the Underworld; it was fun talking to him. At least he had brains and a good sense of humour. “That would be nice.” Chihaya smiled and gently pushed Daisuke forward.
 
The pair walked back to the village in silence, Daisuke feeling somewhat awkward and Dark more than happy to examine the other in peace. Why does Zeus want to keep Aphrodite away from him? He didn't think the self-proclaimed king of the gods was particularly interested in the redhead anyway; he had his own little pet to see to. So why would he want Nyx, of all people, to watch over this boy?
 
Daisuke felt slightly resentful as he walked along the familiar path back home. Why did he have to be the one to accompany Dark back home if Chihaya said so? It really wasn't fair. “You're right,” Dark suddenly said. “It's not fair.”
 
“Why are you here?” Daisuke asked again. “Why are you looking for me?” Dark decided that he clearly wasn't getting enough sleep. If he had let something that important slip, he would more than likely be imprisoned somewhere in the Underworld for a week or two.
 
“Ah, did I say that?” He looked mildly surprised.
 
“Yes, you did.”
 
Dark shook his head. “No, I never said that.” Daisuke glared at him stubbornly, whilst Nyx simply shook his head and gave him a pitying smile.
 
Has he forgotten? Daisuke wondered incredulously. “Did you forget or something?”
 
Dark smiled. “Maybe I did.” The redhead inwardly groaned. He wasn't normally prickly like Krad, the local doctor, but this man just irritated him with his cocky manner and over-familiarity.
 
They stopped in front of an inn, Daisuke looking up expectantly at Dark. “You can stay here,” he bluntly said. Nyx nearly burst out laughing at the look of sulky irritation on the younger boy's face.
 
“You mean you're not going to invite me to your house?” He asked. This was a surprise; he would have expected Daisuke to invite him in, no matter how much he disliked the other. Guess I made a mistake, he thought. He smiled at the redhead carefully before stepping in. “Thank you.” He snickered at the stunned look on Daisuke's face before letting the door close behind him.
 
Next day:
 
Dark wandered through the streets, glad to smell the fresh air after the tiny cramped room in the inn and the hot, stuffy dining area. A quick stop by the marketplace afforded him some lovely pieces of pottery for Aphrodite as an apology, and a necklace with a phallic design (the vendor claimed it was a Roman protection charm) made sure that Apollo's tastes would never be doubted ever again.
 
Interestingly enough, he thought he saw Daisuke at one of the numerous fruit stalls, accompanying an older woman who was obviously his mother. He smirked and headed over, at the same time wondering whether the redhead had told his parents of the new visitor.
 
The farmer looked at him closely. “You're not from around here, are you?” He asked casually. Dark shook his head. “I heard from the midwife this morning that you're here because you're looking for someone; that true?”
 
Dark smiled. “Maybe.” He couldn't quite remember the story he'd put out last night, on account of the large, burly men surrounding him spilling beer all over the place. Nevertheless, it had been rather nice to see a pretty little thing serve him his beer and blush when he smiled at her instead of scowling. “How's business?”
 
The vendor shrugged. “As it always is. Who are you looking for?”
 
“Ah, can't tell you that.” Dark grinned at the look of thwarted bewilderment on his face. “But I can tell you that I'm not some shady character exiled from the city, so don't worry.” The man's big face split into a toothy grin and the purple-haired god smiled back. It was good to be somewhere where no one questioned your motives. Gossiped like farmwives, yes, but questioned, no.
 
“Haha, I like that. Here.” The man tossed him an apple, which Dark quickly caught. “Have it. I've got plenty to spare.”
 
“Thanks.” Dark turned to leave, munching on the apple. Not bad, he decided. Not bad at all.
 
Daisuke sighed and leaned back against the tree, staring up at the blue, blue sky. He loosely cradled the pipes in his hands, waiting for Chihaya to come so that he could return the instrument. The redhead wondered whether Dark had already forgotten about him. He scowled at the memory of the other's overconfidence and at the easy way in which he had handled the sheep, although he could not but wonder about his striking appearance.
 
Chihaya smiled at Daisuke, shaking his head and pushing the proffered pipes away. “You can keep them,” he said cheerfully. “I can always get another set.”
 
“But they're yours!” Daisuke protested.
 
The dark-haired shepherd smiled slyly, an expression that was almost alien on his features. “You know, I have a feeling you'll want to keep them.” Daisuke stared.
 
“How did you know?” He finally asked when they found a suitable place to sit and watch the sheep.
 
Chihaya laughed. “I didn't. I just guessed.” Daisuke scowled. “He's very good-looking though, isn't he?” The redhead didn't say anything, although it was uncomfortably close to what he had been thinking earlier.
 
“You sound like a girl,” he giggled, trying to change the subject. Chihaya rolled his eyes, but still refused to take the pipes back.
 
“Is he nice, then?” Daisuke blinked. He knew it wasn't uncommon for men to like men, but it was strange being asked about such a thing.
 
“I…suppose,” he slowly replied. “He said he'd teach me this trick with the sheep, but I guess he forgot.”
 
As kind as he was, Chihaya wondered whether his friend was denser than the rest of the village, or whether he had recently suffered a blow to the head and forgotten the previous day's events. It had been known to happen every now and then, after all.
 
Dark made his way out of the village, heading towards the hills where he'd last met Daisuke. However, he did not expect Zephyr to suddenly drop down on him. “Greetings, Nyx!” The West Wind was unusually cheerful, something that rarely occurred nowadays.
 
“Shut it, windbag,” The purple-haired man hissed. Zephyr pouted.
 
“I'm hurt, Nyx,” he whined. “Why don't you play with me anymore?”
 
Because Apollo already fought me once, and I have no desire to destroy my palace again. “Because I'm working.”
 
“What's so good about that redhead anyway?”
 
He's actually intelligent. “Zeus sent me to protect him from Aphrodite's tentacles. And between you and me, Zeph, I have no clue why.” The wind deity gaped at him.
 
“Aren't you supposed to be one of the gods that even Zeus fears?”
 
“I wish.”
 
“So you're just another lapdog then,” Zephyr sighed, running fingers through his short pink hair.
 
“I'm not the one masquerading as some singer by day to avoid getting caught by Apollo.”
 
“You're no fun. Come find me when you're done, and we can have some fun together, all right?” The pink-haired deity smiled sweetly and vanished in a light breeze, leaving Dark slightly more ruffled than he had been when he'd left his rooms.
 
Daisuke:
 
“I think I see someone,” Chihaya sang happily. Daisuke hastily sat up and turned around, scanning the hilly landscape for any sign of another person besides himself and his friend.
 
“I don't see anyone.” The black-haired shepherd giggled again.
 
The redhead turned around, expecting to see only rolling green hills, but instead noting a dark figure steadily heading towards them. Without knowing how, he knew that it was the man he'd met yesterday. And he still didn't know his name.
 
“Greetings,” Chihaya chirped much too cheerfully for Daisuke's comfort. The stranger, who had by now arrived at the top of the hill, smiled in reply.
 
“Greetings to you too,” Dark smiled. However, before Chihaya could say anything else, Daisuke quickly cut in.
 
“What's your name?” He asked, glaring challengingly at Dark.
 
“It's a little late to be asking that,” the deity dryly replied. “But for the record, it's Dark Mousy.”
 
“Why are you looking for me?” Dark inwardly cursed his stupidity.
 
“Just because.” He smirked at the redhead, who merely scowled back. “Hey, don't do that.” He poked Daisuke's face, relishing the look of irritation on those delicate features. “Your face will stick like that.”
 
“I'm not a child.”
 
“I never said you were.”
 
“Then stop treating me like one!” Dark was about to say more when he heard laughter. Loud laughter. In fact, it sounded remarkably like…the gods themselves. Laugh all you want, he growled silently. You'll be sorry when I get back. Nevertheless, he could not shake off the feeling that this was a totally pointless task, seeing as Daisuke was so…uncooperative.
 
Mount Olympus:
 
“That was…surprisingly mean,” Yoru commented. Zeus didn't bother turning around; instead, he smiled to himself.
 
“Nyx needs someone to keep him on his toes, not another mindless pretty face. Daisuke Niwa should do just fine…provided Cupid does his job properly.” At that moment, Yoru could not help but pity the god of night. After all, when Zeus himself took an active interest in affairs, there really was only one outcome, and no matter how crafty or clever Nyx might think he was, he stood no chance against Chronos' son.
 
Earth:
 
Dark blinked as he saw a flutter of movement out of the corner of his eye. Even as he turned, he had a nasty feeling that he knew exactly what it was. His guess wasn't wrong, as he soon felt a gentle thud into his back and his eyes landed on Daisuke. He wished that he could strangle Cupid. Or, even better, Zeus himself.
 
Daisuke blinked as Dark turned an intense gaze onto him. Looking into the deep amethyst eyes, he suddenly felt as though he was staring at the star-sprinkled night sky, pulling him in. He swallowed hard and looked away, wondering why he suddenly felt more interested in this stranger than he had been before.
 
Chihaya looked from one to the other, wondering what had just passed between them. He was to hit upon the solution later that night, and could only giggle when he thought about it. After all, it certainly wouldn't be the first time two unwilling parties were brought together by Cupid's bow and arrows.
 
Dark wished he had something in his hands right now, to prevent them from fidgeting so much. He didn't know whether butterflies in the stomach were a customary sign of lovesickness, but if they were, he would certainly take it up with Aphrodite once he got back to Olympus. Right now, though, he would have to settle for winning Daisuke's affections, seeing as there wasn't any other place to go, and something told him that if he did not stay on Earth for at least seven days, he would be hard-pressed to find any peace up in his palace, or atop the mountain of the gods at least.
 
The next few days passed in a sort of haze, with Dark wanting to ask the Fates above just why he was running into Daisuke more and more frequently. First, he'd seen the youth at the market, talking to a few of his other friends. He'd brushed past the redhead whilst heading for the meeting square, looking for a game. He finally found himself staring down at Daisuke at his door early in the morning, before his `guest' from the night before had had time to leave. “Who's that?” Daisuke asked upon catching a glimpse of the woman getting out of bed. “Is she your wife?”
 
“Er, no…” Dark groped for an appropriate explanation. “She's a friend.”
 
“Oh.” Daisuke's face suddenly darkened. “You'll get weird stuff from her, you know that?” Dark froze and turned slowly to look at the woman, who looked incredibly guilty.
 
Trying to remain calm, Dark turned to the redhead. “Er…weird stuff?”
 
Daisuke nodded cheerfully, ignoring the filthy look Dark's `friend' shot him. “Yeah, Krad-he's a doctor, you know-treated these six guys with the same disease? Like, their…parts were all warty and itchy and red, and they all said they slept with her the night before. You should really go talk to him,” the young man added to the woman.
 
Dark stared, wishing that Daisuke had not informed the entire inn of his…personal affairs. “All right, all right,” he hastily told the other, ignoring the cheery smile on the other's face and completely missing the scheming glint in the redhead's eye. “You shouldn't talk about ladies like that…” He laughed awkwardly and abruptly stopped as the woman shoved past him and slapped Daisuke brutally in the face.
 
To his surprise (and grudging admiration), Daisuke did not retaliate. Instead, he looked up at the woman and said softly, “My mother taught me never to hit women.”
 
The woman looked at Dark and smiled cruelly. “And here I was, thinking you like women. Have fun with your little bed partner.” With those words she walked away, leaving a stunned Nyx and a bewildered Daisuke behind.
 
Dark somehow managed to get rid of the redhead and retreat to his room, immediately deciding to call on Cupid. The little idiot probably didn't have any idea of what he'd done, anyway. Reaching out with his power, he finally sensed Aphrodite's spawn in Corinth and he yanked with all his might, dragging the winged child into his room. “Cupid,” he hissed venomously at the youth in front of him. “What on Earth did you do to me?!”
 
Ayase looked up with wide eyes, tears already brimming up in them. “Nothing!” He yelped, frightened of the Lord of Night. “I didn't do anything to you!”
 
“So how do you explain your arrows smacking into me and Niwa?” The other angrily demanded. The blond gave another frightened sob.
 
“Mama told me to!”
 
“Oh, for the love of…” Dark growled and shifted uncomfortably. It appeared that Daisuke's information about the woman had not been inaccurate. “Look, why couldn't you just tell her no?”
 
Cupid swallowed hard. Dark raised an eyebrow. “I'm waiting.”
 
“She threatened to leave me with Hades…” Dark stopped dead.
 
“WHAT?!”
 
The younger boy swallowed hard, tears now flowing freely and creating a damp patch on the blankets. “She wanted to-to-leave me-w-with-H-Ha-Hades!”
 
“Why the ---- would she do that? She's in love with the man, she wouldn't want her son to take him!” Ayase stopped mid-sniffle, large blue eyes trained on the older god.
 
“She is?”
 
“Yeah.” Dark regretted the lie, since everyone knew that Hades had been pursuing Cupid (and failing spectacularly) only for the last century or so. “Sure. She was just being mean. Now push off, and don't ruin my blankets anymore.” He tried to gently move Ayase from the bed, but the god of love wasn't having any of it.
 
“No she doesn't! She called him a pig! Mama hates pigs!”
 
“Yeah?” Dark fixed the other with a glare. “Well, so do I. And I'm still eating pork.” Ayase stared at Nyx in bewilderment until the older man sighed and stood up. “Bye.”
 
Cupid stared at the closed door, still sniffling, and then smiled. It appeared that he was doing his job well.
 
Daisuke:
 
“Daisuke!” It was Chihaya. “I heard you told everyone about Miranda's…condition.” The last few words were whispered in a scandalized tone.
 
“Mmm…I did.” Daisuke stared at his best friend after Satoshi, unable to control himself anymore. “I don't know why! I just looked at the two of them, wondered why it couldn't…couldn't be me, and I just blurted out something mean!” He took a deep breath, unable to believe what he'd just said. Apparently, neither could Chihaya.
 
“Krad's livid. So are the…six patients. And their wives.” Daisuke blushed hard and looked away.
 
“I…don't know what came over me.” He abashedly said. Chihaya sighed.
 
“Well, you can go say sorry to Dark. And recommend him to Krad, who's great at treating…diseases.”
 
Three months later:
 
Dark growled as he trudged up the hill, hoping that Zeus was laughing. Because it would be the last laugh he'd ever get for a long, long time. “ZEUS!” He howled upwards. “Yes, it's me, you manipulative, scheming excuse for a rat.” To his surprise, the king of the gods appeared in front of him, dressed in little more than a chiton. “For the love of Olympus!” The god of night snarled. “Put something on!” Zeus raised an eyebrow. “Something decent,” the other snapped.
 
Ignoring the fuming god in front of him, Zeus sighed. “Dark, I don't know what you've been up to, but—“
 
“Cut the horse dung,” Dark interrupted. “I've been stuck here for three lousy months, keeping an eye on a youth who's not even being pursued any more! I want to go home!”
 
Zeus looked at him coolly. “Home?”
 
“Yes, home! Where I can sleep wrapped up in light shadows instead of itchy, flea-infested blankets. Where I don't have to worry about baking to death! Where people do not stare between my legs and ask if I'm doing all right!”
 
“So, are you doing all right?” Zeus interrupted.
 
“Someone helped me out. And for the record, Daisuke's planning something.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“He's being coming to see me every single day since that…morning…at the Spartan Arms.”
 
“What did you say?”
 
“The inn! The inn!” Dark was furious.
 
Zeus decided to make his opinion clear. “Look, Nyx, if you called me here just to moan about your…oh, my.” Nyx turned around just in time to see Daisuke arrive, panting, at the foot of the admittedly tiny hill. From the looks of his face, it appeared that he, too, could see Zeus. Although interestingly enough, Dark noted, he wasn't burning up.
 
“I really must go, Keita awaits.” With a quick look at Nyx, Zeus disappeared back into Olympus.
 
Dark scrambled down the hill and grabbed Daisuke, who was just turning to run away. “Daisuke!” He caught up to the other just in time and whipped him around, staring at the look of utter fury on the other's face. He winced at the sudden punch the shepherd threw and only narrowly avoided the follow-up blow to the stomach. “What on Olympus is wrong with you?” The god demanded. Any embarrassment or worry that the boy might have found out about his identity disappeared with the punches; no human he knew would dare hit a god.
 
“You!”
 
Nyx blinked. Turning his face to the sky, he sourly noted that Helios was right above him, and clearly watching the drama unfold. Even the blasted horses pulling the chariot seemed to be interested! “What?”
 
“You! It's all your fault that I'm acting like an idiot!”
 
“How am I supposed to be responsible for your stupidity?” Dark asked, baffled. His cheek was beginning to ache, and he knew that it would soon bruise if he didn't heal it right away. Then a tingle ran across his skin, and judging from the look on Daisuke's face, he had just healed himself. “And just why are you following me around?” His mind wandered idly as he waited for the other to stop spluttering and blushing. After a while, he decided that the shepherd was clearly not about to stop unless someone hurried him along. “You know, you're not that unattractive.” He debated the merits of continuing, and then gave up. Anyhow, Takaya had always been better than him, though Zeus and Hera forbid that the younger god ever found out. It wouldn't do to swell his ego any further now, would it? “I'm sure you have young women-and men, I suppose-falling at your feet every morning.”
 
Daisuke stared at the stranger in front of him, fighting and cursing the blush on his cheeks. Without thinking, he blurted out the first thing that came to mind. “Well, you're not.” He almost jumped as the purple-haired man growled, although it appeared that his eyes were looking somewhere else. Outrage skittered across his mind as he realized that the other probably hadn't been listening to him at all.
 
Even though he knew that Ayase had been forced to shoot him-them-with that blasted arrow, he couldn't help but curse the tiny god. Daisuke's blush suddenly began to look much more appealing than it first had, and the thin tunic he wore did little to hide his slender frame. He growled and blinked as Daisuke pulled a fist back as though to punch him again. Waiting until the last possible moment, the god grabbed the shepherd's fist in a firm grip and yanked the other towards him, pressing his lips firmly against Daisuke's and repressing a grin at the thought of the other's reaction.
 
Crimson eyes widened in shock as their owner realized that he was kissing another man. Not a nice village girl like he'd always imagined, but a man. A man who infuriated him to no end, and one who had featured in many of his thoughts since his sudden arrival. But that wasn't the frightening thing. Oh no; it was the fact that it wasn't half as bad as he thought it would be. In fact, it was strangely…exhilarating. He tingled all over, and heat spread across his skin as he groaned slightly and felt his legs wobble precariously. He heard a small, strange noise and almost gasped when he realized that had been his voice. Suddenly the gentle pressure on his lips and the warmth inside his mouth pulled away, and he clung desperately onto the other's arms, looking up into dancing amethyst.
 
Dark smirked down at his prize, although he still promised to make Aphrodite and Cupid's lives misery as soon as he returned to Olympus. Perhaps he could leave Cupid with Hades for fifty years or so; the god of death would certainly thank him for that, and perhaps even Ayase after he finally saw the other's true feelings. Although his density was rivaled only by that of Takaya's, and that was certainly saying something. For now, though, pesky mother and son could wait; Dark fully intended to enjoy his shepherd. It had been a while since he'd had this much fun, and he was sure that Fuji would enjoy being the lord of night for a little while longer. Besides, Daisuke didn't seem to be resisting too hard.
 
1. Hephaestus: Reference to legend of Aphrodite's marriage to the supposedly hideous smith-god. The goddess of love did not enjoy his company, and had an affair with Ares, god of war. Hephaestus, suspecting something, made a net of wire so fine that no one could see it, and trapped the pair in it, calling all the gods to see their treachery. However, the gods laughed at him and called him a fool for showing everyone how he had been cuckolded.
 
Thank you for reading!