Danny Phantom Fan Fiction ❯ Posthumous Legacies ❯ The Reaper ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Welcome back! I've got some explaining to do, so let's get on with it.
 
Posthumous Legacies
 
---
You are seldom breathing life but mostly death
---
 
Chapter Two: The Reaper
 
I wonder if anyone remembers me.
 
They forgot Danny so easily.
 
I considered going to Tucker to tell him I was leaving. But he hates me now. And I didn't want to leave feeling like that. I just wanted to leave.
 
So I left.
 
And now I'm traveling God knows where.
 
I walked at first. Everyone in town knows Crazy Sam. So I walked. A few cars tried to pick me up but I just kept walking. By morning I got on a bus, and slept until it stopped.
 
I started this journal to write down the facts, to tell the story as it happened.
 
But I'm starting to doubt myself.
 
Because ghosts have been plaguing Amityville for a long time now, and all the while Danny had been fighting them. Then there was the giant battle with Walker. He'd gone on a power trip and tried to imprison the human realm in the same way he'd captured the ghosts in the Ghost Zone. But Danny tried to stop him, using Ecto-Skeleton, but things had taken a wrong turn. Everyone was elsewhere, escaping or fighting back, and I followed Danny to see what was next in his plan.
 
He disappeared.
 
He disappeared and so did everyone's memory of him.
 
So why was I so different?
 
I'm still searching for my answer.
 
---
 
The scream hit Sam. She jumped straight, turning to see what had caused such a horrified reaction.
 
Her day was not getting better.
 
A giant blob was standing over a group of people. It was formless and stared with two demonic looking eyes. It reached out one claw-like hand to the group of people before it.
 
Sam jumped back, pulled the tiny tube from her pocket, and flipped it out. The scythe descended with great accuracy upon the form, cutting it in half. The sickle was attached with a green chain to the rod, so it wasn't too hard to give a flick of a wrist and it came hurtling back. The material of the blade couldn't hurt a person, but to a ghost, it was near deadly.
 
The ghost stopped as it looked over at her. Its body pulled itself back together, and it flew at her.
 
So Sam ran.
 
She needed to lure it away from the public. There was less of a chance that someone would see her.
 
There was a silent street ahead. She dived out of the alleyway, landing in the middle of the street, and she pulled a weapon out of her boots. The form moved towards her, a large hole opening beneath its eyes like a mouth.
 
Sam pulled up the weapon, aimed. It was a gun of sorts that shot ecto-energy that cancelled out the energy of the ghost. With it, she could use the energy of her scythe to finally `kill' it, sending it back to the Ghost Zone.
 
She fired.
 
The ghost roared; Sam cringed. Its voice was like gravel on rock. Then her eyes went wide as she watched it divide itself, dodging the blast.
 
Sam groaned and hopped back as it attempted to slam her into the ground. She managed a somersault to avoid its anger. Quickly she reached into her boots but was knocked down by another swing of the ghost's arms.
 
`Oh yeah,' she thought as she slammed headfirst into a brick wall, `I am screwed.'
 
---
 
TECHNO-GEEKS CHAT
 
Login: Grey Shadow
 
Password: **********
 
WELCOME, Grey Shadow.
 
Grey grinned as she noticed the first screen to pop up.
 
Message from TF13. ACCEPT?
 
She clicked the `yes' button and read the first message.
 
TF13: How goes the ghost-hunting?
 
Grey Shadow: Well enough. I've got a favor I need to ask.
 
TF13: And what might this mighty favor be?
 
Grey Shadow: I'm working on a project with my friend. Something you might be interested in.
 
TF13: Why am I suddenly worried?
 
Grey Shadow: It's nothing you can't handle. I just need some supplies.
 
TF13: Like what…
 
Grey Shadow: I'll send you the list.
 
Grey Shadow is attempting a file transfer. Accept?
 
File transfer accepted.
 
Grey waited a minute. She knew TF's computer would get it almost instantly.
 
Grey Shadow: … Didja get it?
 
There was no answer.
 
Grey Shadow: TF?
 
 
TF13: You are so fucking with me.
 
Grey frowned.
 
Grey Shadow: What are you talking about?
 
TF13: You're building a Ghost Portal?
 
Grey Shadow: How'd you know that?
 
TF13: I knew you were into the supernatural but a Ghost Portal?!
 
Grey Shadow: What's wrong with that?
 
She waited another few minutes for his answer.
 
TF13: Why the hell do you need to build a Ghost Portal?!!
 
Grey Shadow: Why are you so against it?
 
He didn't answer.
 
Grey Shadow: Are you still there?
 
TF13: I'm going to help you, but there's gonna be a cost.
 
Grey smiled. She loved getting her way.
 
---
 
Sam felt the blood drip down her forehead, and her arm was going numb.
 
This was not good.
 
The formless creature moved towards her again, but she managed to duck just in time. She attempted another shot from her “Ghost Blaster” (the fitting name Grey had given it.)
 
She missed.
 
The damned thing didn't even have to dodge.
 
But it did anyway.
 
Half of it got in the way of her shot, and it screamed in pain. She grinned, shooting at the other half. For a moment it struggled to rearrange itself, then stopped.
 
Sam pulled out the scythe and flung it at the form. It howled a moment longer than lifted itself up wearily.
 
`Why the hell wasn't it dying?'
 
And then its eyes met hers, and she saw what could not be mistaken for anything but an evil smile.
 
“So you're the Reaper,” it hissed. She tried to wince at its voice grated against her ears.
 
“My reputation precedes me,” she grinned, “That's a nice thought.”
 
“That's good to know. I have something to tell my master.”
 
And before she could question it, it sunk into the ground.
 
`Why do these things always happen to me?'
 
---
 
Grey blinked as Sam entered the basement.
 
“What happened to you?” she asked.
 
Sam grunted and lifted up her arm.
 
“What the hell do you think happened?” she growled.
 
“Oh.”
 
She gave her a look.
 
“Oh right! Sorry.”
 
Grey pushed her chair back and stopped at a cabinet. She pulled open one of the drawers, pulling out enough medical supplies to heal an army.
 
“So how was your day?” Sam cringed as Grey applied the bandages. She seriously hoped her arm wasn't broken.
 
“I talked with TF,” she said, a smile breaking the concern on her face.
 
“Oh, that's great,” Sam murmured sarcastically.
 
“I told him about our project.”
 
Sam started, yelping as she felt her arm hit Grey's chair.
 
“Sorry,” she muttered absently.
 
You told him!
 
“I told you he could help,” she said defensively, “And he agreed to it.”
 
Sam groaned and shook her head. She avoided contact with anyone that wasn't Grey, excepting the people she chatted with occasionally on the net, and that didn't mean anything.
 
“And he's coming here.”
 
What?!”
 
A blush lighted Grey's face. “He said he wouldn't help unless he could handle the parts himself.”
 
“Did he mention which parts he wanted to handle?”
 
Her face turned red. “Shut it. I checked him out. He's trustworthy.”
 
“And what am I supposed to do?”
 
“You just gotta stay the Reaper. And why are you so paranoid anyway? You assume everyone's after you.”
 
Sam bowed her head. “Whatever.”
 
Grey finished her arm and pulled out the gauze to wrap her forehead. “So what was this big baddie?”
 
“He knew I was the Reaper.”
 
“News travels fast in the Ghost Zone, or so I assume.”
 
“He said he was going to tell his master.”
 
“So you got beat down by a lackey.”
 
“I didn't even get to finish him off.”
 
Grey frowned. “That could be a problem.”
 
“We've got a few problems, don't we?”
 
They had more than they realized.