Danny Phantom Fan Fiction ❯ Posthumous Legacies ❯ Counting Losses ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Am I the only one who wants to see Thank You for Smoking? And why are all the good movies coming out rated R? I feel cheated.
 
Posthumous Legacies
---
the flies and spiders get along together,
cobwebs fall on an old skipping record.
---
 
Chapter Six: Counting Losses
 
I'm dwelling on the past.
 
It's not smart. But all I see is his face, the solemn expression, the resolve, as if he'd known for ages what he'd have to do.
 
I had a different dream last night.
 
I think I was in the Ghost Zone. I opened a door and there he was, shackled to an invisible force. He was bent over, snow white hair falling lifelessly over his eyes, which were closed. The normal ghostly aura around him was fading, and I wondered what happens to a ghost when it dies.
 
What would happen to Danny if he died?
 
But he's not dead.
 
He's not.
 
He can't be.
 
---
 
Tucker and Sam were caught in the middle of a staring contest; Tuck was wide-eyed while she just kept cool.
 
Grey was confused.
 
“I thought…” He took a step back. “What the hell?”
 
“Just because I disappeared from Amity Park doesn't mean I fell off the face of the earth.”
 
“Yeah, but…” His surprised expression turned slightly darker. “You're going by `Reaper?'”
 
“I dropped my last name. Technically I don't exist.”
 
“Yeah. You're parents claimed you dead.”
 
“Heh,” she twirled her scythe and let it retreat into its compacted form, “Guess that makes me the next Phantom.”
 
“You still pulling that `Danny's a halfa' crap?”
 
“Just because no one remembers doesn't mean I'm wrong.”
 
“I think that's called being stubborn.”
 
“You still don't remember anything? You were there when it happened!”
 
“You're insane!”
 
“I'm the only sane person!”
 
“You're such a bitch!”
 
“Great comeback you idiotic cretin! Why do you have to act like an ass?!”
 
“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” Grey shouted, stepping between them. “What the hell is going on here?”
 
Sam closed her eyes and pushed back a stray strand of hair. “Obviously neither of us are going to admit defeat.”
 
“Obviously,” Tucker sighed, his hands still clenched at his side.
 
“But I don't want to fight with you. Can we just call truce?”
 
She held her hand out and stared at him expectantly. With a look of absolute defiance he shook it.
 
“Now that that's out of the way,” Grey sighed, “Can someone explain this to me?”
 
Sam's day wasn't looking up.
 
---
 
Invidia sat glumly beside Gula, his eyes trained on the city below them. Gula was sniffing about the trash, digesting what little food he could work out.
 
“How are we supposed to find someone who doesn't exist?” he asked his companion.
 
Gula rolled over, settling a bit like an ape beside him. “Shadow met him. He exists. He tried to kill Shadow.”
 
“And this guy will bring us to the master's goal?”
 
Gula nodded quickly.
 
“Well then,” Invidia jumped up, peering over the city carefully. “We'll just have to stir some trouble to get him out of hiding.”
 
“Shadow called him something… something…”
 
“The Reaper. Death itself,” he grinned, “Alright, Mr. Reaper, we're coming to get you.”
 
---
 
Grey screamed.
Sam came running, top speed. She burst through the basement door, only to be hit by a barrage of various items. She ducked and slipped, landing in an awkward position on the stairs.
 
Grey was frantic. Tucker was at her computer, shaking his head like a doctor who'd just diagnosed a terminal patient. She let out a strangled cry and turned to Sam.
 
“Look what you did to my computer!” she shouted, pointing frantically.
 
“I don't touch the computer, remember,” Sam sighed. “Last time I did that you locked me in the closet.”
 
She didn't miss Tucker's smirk.
 
“It's dead,” Grey moaned, “It's dead, it's dead, it's dead.”
 
“Don't you think you're overreacting…”
 
“It's fried,” Tucker sighed, “Whatever virus you unleashed, it killed it.”
 
Sam let out a breath.
 
`It must be Thursday. I could never get the hang of Thursdays.'
 
---
 
No one noticed the lone green dog making its way through the street. It crossed the road carefully, towards the restaurant nestled between the two large banks. It stared blankly at it, with an expression most wouldn't have expected to see a dog wearing and continued on, disappearing into a back alleyway. The stream of men and women flowed obliviously.
 
And that was when the restaurant collapsed.
 
Everyone began to panic.
 
There was screaming, people running, rubble, chaos…
 
And two figures emerged from the dust of the collapsed building, a long lean figure and a horribly obese one, each sharing the same evil grin as they glanced upon the terror they'd caused.
 
Invidia held out his arms, revealing the neat little arm blades in the sleeves of his large black coat.
 
“Who wants to play first?”