Danny Phantom Fan Fiction ❯ Stupid ❯ Unexpected Visitors ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dash was so tired.... So very tired... Something in the poison he was sure. He hurt. He hurt everywhere. He didn't know why. He knew he should know, but he didn't....
 
Dash yawned as he peered wearily at the TV. He couldn't sleep, it was too bright. He just surfed channels. The nurse poked her head into the room.
 
“Mr. Baxter?”
 
Dash turned and gave he a sleepy smile. “Yea... eah.... eahhhh...”, he yawned a wide mouthed yawn.
 
The nurse was smiling broadly, she giggled a bit. “You have a visitor.”
 
Dashes face fell alittle bit. “Im too ti-ti-tired...”, he yawned again, “for a visitor.”
 
“Oh, I think you'll like this one.”, he smiled at him. He nodded and looked back at the TV. The Ghost Boy walked into his room.
 
Dash felt himself gasp silently. The Phantom had come to see him. And he was barely awake enough to focus on him.
 
“Hi.”, said The Phantom sweetly, softly aswell. “You look tired.”
 
Dash smiled and yawned again. “I feel tired. Do you know what was in the poison?”
 
The Phantom shook his head, sat down next to him. “So why did you come and see me?”
 
He looked so frmailiar. It was just ripping at his brain, who did he look like? Bushy hair, thin arms and legs...
 
“I thought you could use some company. Besides, you did a good thing. Saved nine people. And who knows what that ghost would have done if you hadn't stopped it.”, The Phantom took Dash's hand reassuringly. It was cold, and it felt like a gas, though very dense. How odd.
 
“And I brought you this.”
 
Dash took his drooping eyes off the touching hands to look at The Phantom. He was holding a large, gold medal the size of a tube of cookie doe, with the word `Hero' engraved on it.
 
It was awkwardly made, but the sentiment and the honor was there. Dash reached out a felt it. It was soft a warm, like it had just been out in the sun. And a red silk ribbon to put it around his neck.
 
“Il never take it off.”, he said exasperatedly.
 
He looked away from The Phantom. He felt sad.
 
“Hey, what's wrong?”, asked the ghost, stroking his hand with his thumb.
 
Dash was silent for a long time. “Il never be able to play football again. The acid nearly destroyed my shoulder.”
 
The Phantom looked crestfallen. His eyes fell and he just kept rubbing Dash's hand with his thumb.
 
“How many people did I save again?”, Dash said tiredly. He hoped it would make him feel alittle bit better. Which it did.
 
“Well, lets see... Nine, immediately, there were about seventy more people in building that would have been in danger, plus a good number of people on the street.”
 
“Id give up football for that anyway.”, Dash felt himself drift off. He forced himself back awake.
 
“Sorry.”, he yawned. “They've got be on three different painkiller. And they said the poison in my blood would tire me out for a while.”
 
The Phantom grinned and let go of Dash's hand. “What I don't get is how a fifteen year old boy with a spear can fight off a giant ghost snake.”
 
But Dash was asleep. The Phantom draped the medal around his neck and crept out silently.
* * *
No one was a more exiting guest than The Phantom. And Dash loved to show off the medal. But he got a few other visitors aswell.
 
His mom, of course. She was so happy to see him OK that she raised his allowance.
 
Principal Ishiama came to see him, and she canceled his suspension.
 
There were lots of people who came to see him to thank him. He was given a lifetime membership at the Sport Depot, and they gave him the javelins he'd used to fight the snake. Some of the people from the snake attack were there, with pies and cakes and cards thanking him from the bottom of their hearts.
 
Tons of get well cards, even someone from the time colonist came to interview him.
 
But there was one other visitor he got that stuck with him.
 
Fenton walked in with his hands behind his back and his head down. He looked ashamed.
 
By this time, he was off most of the painkillers and was starting to feel more awake. He felt angry for the first second. Then calmed himself. Fenton came here for a reason and he might aswell hear him out.
 
But Fenton was silent. He just stood at the foot of Dash's bed and looked at his shoes.
 
For about a minute there was silence, and Dash grew increasingly angry. But he knew there was a reason for this visit and he was more curious than pissed.
 
“Want to see my medal?”, he asked finally.
 
Fenton looked up and he could tell from the look in his eyes that he was expecting to be yelled at. But he nodded.
 
Dash fished his hand down his shirt and pulled it out. It was slightly greasy, and needed to polished. But it still shone brightly and the word Hero still glittered.
 
“Wow.”, said Fenton excitedly.
 
THATS who The Phantom reminded him of. It couldn't be. Fenton was a jerk. The Phantom was nice.
 
But as quickly as he looked up, he looked away again.
 
“Im not mad gonna get mad at you, if that's what your expecting.”
 
He looked relieved at that. “Im sorry I called you stupid, Dash. I crossed a line.”
 
Dash felt grumpy at him. That's why he came? Hadn't that issue been resolved with two broken ribs and a suspension? “How are your ribs?”
 
Fenton smiled. “Better. I get to do PE again in week. How's the shoulder?”
 
He supposed this was where he stopped being angry at Fenton for being a jerk. He was being civil. “Better, but I wont be able to play football anymore.”
 
Dash could tell Fenton felt sorry for him. “But don't pity me, Im sure Il find another sport. Boxing maybe.”
 
“Mr.Lancer said for you to try chess.”, Fenton brought his hands out from behind his back to show a miniature chessboard. “I brought this as a peace offering.”
 
So Fenton and Dash spent their time playing a game of chess (which Dash one with flying colors) and subconsciously getting to know each other.