Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ After Death ❯ Conversations ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own anything.

________________________________________________________ __________________________


"W-what are? Who?" Kiyomi's eyes widened. Light didn't look quite human with large white wings (similar to Ryuk's) sticking out of his back. Light continued:

"I am a shinigami. This notebook is real, and like it says: whoever's name you write in the note will die. You can write in causes, times, and manipulate people around the person, but I can explain that all later. I'm sure you don't look quite normal staring like that into nothing." Kiyomi gained her composure and shook her head, as if by doing so she could erase Light from standing there on the sidewalk. She looked at him again and tried to speak.

"But what- I mean why? Why did you give me the notebook?"

"It isn't yours yet. Whether or not you even want it is totally dependant on you. But once you kill one person with the note, it becomes yours. If you no longer want it, you can give it to another human, but I'm sure you can imagine the concequences that could have, or you can relinquish the ownership to me. But that IS only if you don't want it, of course." A light came into Kiyomi's eyes as she realised all this and more.

"Kira." She said, "This is how he killed. They all die of heart attacks if you don't write anything else in!"

"Haha, yes, I was hoping you would make that connection. You see, three weeks ago I, Kira, was killed by Near, an American detective along with other members of a secret organisation called the SPK. I now have to look for a replacement, as we can't let the world begin to rot again, can we?"

"No... I suppose not. But you didn't answer my question. Why did you choose me?"

"You seemed smart, and not blind to all the idiots that roam around freely, when they are better off dead. Don't you agree?"

"Yes! Of course I do!"

"But you have to be willing to follow orders. I have a second death note, and I can kill you at any time if you are not doing exactly as I say." Light didn't have a second death note, but he knew Kiyomi would believe him. She did.

"Of course! I will do whatever you need me to!"

"Good. Then take the death note, and kill that man with the liquor bottle that was just bothering you." Kiyomi nodded and picked up the death note off the ground. She shakily opened her purse and drew out a pen. Opening it to the first page, she wrote down the name 'Mark Fortney' and waited, staring at him as he wavered around in a drunken stupor, bothering the nearby tourists and other pedestrians.

"34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39...40." Light said, and as soon as he did he saw the man grab his chest in pain and fall to the ground, lifeless. Kiyomi laughed.

"Bastard."

***

Meanwhile, in Japan, Matsuda and Aizawa were having a difficult time dealing with Misa.

"WHERE'S LIGHT?!" She screamed, tearing things off the walls and hurling them at the two detectives. They didn't know what to tell her.

"WHY WON'T YOU TELL ME WHERE HE IS?! DID HE GO TO AMERICA WITHOUT MISA?! OR-" She paused, and started wailing, "IS HE IN LOVE WITH ANOTHER WOMAN?!" She burst into hysterical sobs, and Matsuda ran over to her and awkwardly patted her on the shoulder.

"Erm... uh... not really." He looked back at Aizawa and shook his head.

"Not REALLY?!" She started bawling again, "SO HE'S ONLY SLEEPING WITH HER?!" Aizawa slapped his hand on his forehead and sighed. Matsuda... you're an idiot. He thought. He walked over to where Misa was bawling and pushed Matsuda away, where he fell back and landed on the floor, unnoticed by both other people.

"Ow!" he said. He wasn't heard.

"Misa..." Aizawa began, "Light, was... well, he was killed 3 weeks ago when we went to meet Near. I'm sorry." Misa paused, then fell to her knees on the floor.

"Who... killed him?"

"Well, Matsuda-"

"YOU KILLED HIM!" She lunged at Matsuda, who was still sitting on the ground rubbing his butt, and was completely taken off guard. She started clawing at Matsuda, who then started whimpering and whining like a three year old until Misa was pulled off of him by Aizawa.

"MISA!" He yelled, "Matsuda did NOT kill Light. He shot him, but Ryuk wrote his name in the death note, it wasn't Matsuda's fault."

"Oh... I'm sorry Matsuda. But please, try to grow a backbone." Aizawa snickered and Matsuda started whining again.

"It wasn't MY fault! SHE came at ME!" Misa shrugged.

"But, Light is dead?" They both nodded.

"Oh, I see." She sighed and walked over to a nearby couch, and flicked on the television. Aizawa and Matsuda were both about to leave when-

"LIGHT! IT'S LIGHT! HE ISN'T DEAD!" Misa beamed and turned the volume up as they returned.

"Another 70 criminals were killed today in various prisons, all from heart attacks. After three weeks of silence, could Kira be returning?"

***

A mere hundred and fifty miles from where Light first saw Kiyomi, Near was watching the same program.