Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ After Death ❯ Epilogue ( Epilogue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Near realised something as he chased who he knew now to be Light Yagami. He was a shinigami now, unable to kill. Near also knew even if his death note was destroyed and the person using it caught, there was no way to stop him. He would just keep coming back with different death notes and different people. So there really is no way to stop this killer. Near thought. He accepted that and figured the only thing to do was be dignified. So he went to Kiyomi's apartment. He knocked on the door and saw her open it.

"Oh. Hello." Kiyomi thought she had gotten rid of this guy.

"Kiyomi, I would like to touch your death note. I don't intend to arrest or execute you, don't worry, I just need to have a word with your shinigami, please." Kiyomi's eyes widened in shock and she slammed the door, and he heard muffled whispers and shuffling, until she eventually came out holding a black notebook, and handed it to Near. As soon as he saw it, he saw Light standing in the doorway, not quite as handsome as he once was, but still recognizable.

"Konbanwa, Yagami Light."

"Hello Near." Light glared at him while Near, on the other hand, was smiling softly.

"I would just like to tell you, I'm not chasing you anymore. I know I can not stop you at this point and it would be foolish of me to try. I'm glad you've succeeded." Light smiled now, not menacingly, but softly, almost understanding, and nodded. Near turned around and left, and Light did not look after him. He shut the door, and never saw Near again.

***

Near assumed that after he saw Light again he would be dead. Surprisingly, this did not happen. He continued to live in the 'New world' that Light had created, where nobody committed crimes, and people were happy, and those who weren't lived in fear of a god they had never seen. When Kiyomi died, Light found new replacements. They were becoming easier to find. When Near was diagnosed with Leukemia, after several months he wished he was dead. One day, as he was gazing out his window, he felt a slight pain in his chest, and as he died, smiled softly as he wondered if Yagami Light was giving him the sweet release of death at last. Funny, he thought as the lights in his eyes dimmed, Yagami Light, you are the closest thing I've had to a friend now.