Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Calamvs Gladio Fortoir ❯ Chapter One: Boredom ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Death note. Death Note is the property of its respective owners. I make no money off of this.
 
*Flap*
A Black notebook with the words ”Death Note” on the front landed on the pavement in a school campus. The campus was deserted at the moment, on account of the students all being in class inside Keio gijuku daigaku(1).
 
Chapter One: Boredom
 
“The human whose name is written in this notebook shall die... Hahaha.” Talk about sick. Why's everybody into this kind of crap, anyway? The new owner of the death note walked home not knowing that five days later he would get a visit by a shinigami(2). He reached his home and went into his room. He sat down at his desk and studied the notebook more intently under the small lamp on his desk that was mostly used for studying.
“This note will not take effect unless the writer has the person's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected. If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the person's name, it will happen. If the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of a heart attack. After writing the cause of death, details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds.
Hmm. So you can let them die peacefully, or make them suffer...
“A prank this intricate isn't too bad, I guess...” he said to himself as he laid down on his bed. He stared at the ceiling for a few seconds before glancing over at the notebook that laid on his desk.
“Write in their name, and they die... How stupid.” He said as he yawned.
 
 
A lone student stood outside the gates to Keio gijuku daigaku. The notebook lying right in front of him. He turned his head to the right and then to the left looking for the person who had lost his or her notebook. There were no people in sight.
He looked back down at the notebook and noticed some weird letters that were printed on the front of it. He took two steps forward and bent down. He picked it up and studied it. He noticed that it was not Japanese made since the book was made to open from the left. He turned it around to look at the back to see if there was something written there that was not as confusing as the front.
The back of the notebook was blank so he turned to look at the front of it again. He tried to figure out from which alphabet the letters were from, but his knowledge of Latin, Greek and logographic characters did not bring him any closer to deciphering the unrecognizable letters.
He stretched his index finger under the front cover of the book to open it up on the first page but suddenly decided against it. He instead, held the book between his left hand and hip. He walked a few steps away from the gates to the university and sat down on a nearby bench. He put the black notebook down beside him on the bench and gazed once more upon the main university building, over the Iron Gate.
He had a small smile on his face as he looked the building over. He knew that one day he would go there and further his education to become Prime Minister of Japan. His goal was clear in his mind. He knew that when he reached that status that he would be able to change the world, but at his present state, he was bored. Only seventeen years of age, he could not do anything to even come closer to his dream. He knew that he would have to wait, and waiting was the one thing that Kurotoku Kazuki despised almost as much as he despised evil.
 
 
He locked the door behind him, walked over to his desk and turned on his TV, and his computer. He pulled the top drawer of his desk outwards and the Death Note came into view. He held it in his hands and stared intently at it as a small laugh escaped from his lips: “Heh. Heh, heh...”
Before he could continue, somebody behind him spoke: “You seem to like it.” He turned quickly and was suddenly face to face with a shinigami with large lips and eyes. He screamed in surprise and fell to the floor, his chair following him. The shinigami spoke again: “Why are you so surprised to see me? I'm Ryuk, the shinigami who dropped that notebook. The way you were acting just now, I can tell you know it isn't just any old notebook... Right?”
“A... shinigami?” The student on the floor exclaimed loudly. His features etched with fear and surprise for a second before he regained is composure. He raised himself from the floor. “A death god...”
When he had reached his full height he looked at the shinigami and said: “I'm not surprised to see you, Ryuk.” Now it was the shinigami's turn to look surprised, “in fact... I've been waiting for you...”
 
 
Kurotoku Kazuki sat waiting for the lessons inside Keio gijuku daigaku to end. He had decided to wait for the owner of the notebook who would undoubtedly be a student at the university. If he was lucky he would find the owner and maybe make an acquaintance that could give him information on the university. He craved for something to occupy his mind and something such as first-hand information on the university he aspired to attend, would surely give his mind something to process.
After he had waited for five minutes, the gate opened and hundreds of students that were older and taller than him came out of the opened gate at a relatively high speed. Kazuki picked up the notebook and stood from his seat. He held the black book in plain view of the students that came through the gate. Students passed by him looking perplexed at him and his weird notebook but none approached him. He stood there until all of the students had passed and sighed when he realized that whoever owned the notebook did not care to get it back, or did not go to the university as a student.
He decided to head home as staying at the gates of the university would be useless and a complete waste of time. He opened his backpack that he had been wearing and put the black notebook in it, and hoisted it onto his back. He walked to the bus station and sat waiting for the bus headed for the general direction of his house to arrive.
Kazuki noticed some of the students he knew from class come out of a bus that had just come from downtown Tokyo. He recognized the two girls and the guy as Morihara Yukio, Akagawa Ayako and Matsuguchi Mai. He resisted the urge to utter a few curse words at seeing some of the annoying students who attended his class. He turned his head away from them hoping that they would not see him sitting on the bench a few feet from them, but to no avail. He hears the loud happy-go-lucky voice of Morihara Yukio say: “Hey, guys! Look! It's Kurotoku-san!”
Kazuki closed his eyes and could not help but imagine the slightly smaller and thin boy with short, brown hair pointing his finger at him. He wished that the others would not notice or that they would simply avoid his company, but he knew that it would not come to pass. He heard them approach and he delayed the moment that he would look up at them until they were standing directly in front of him, “Hi, Kurotoku-san.”
He finally raised his eyes; Akagawa Ayako had long black hair, and a decent looking face. She had brown eyes, and was not really that large in the chest section. She was wearing a skirt that reached her knees and a thin sweater with the words “Calamvs Gladio Fortoir” printed across the front. He remembered seeing that expression somewhere before, but he was too irritated to remember where. Ayako was normally quiet around Kazuki and he had a good guess on why. Matsuguchi Mai was looking slutty as always. Her long, flowing, blonde hair reached the small of her back. Her eyes were blue and her face looked beautiful, though it had obviously been altered by large amounts of make-up. Her clothes were tight on her body, with a short skirt that left little to the imagination and a half-opened, blue blouse. Her chest jutted out as usual, making people stop and stare at her enormous breasts. She was the tallest of the three and had been the one who spoke.
“What are you doing here, Kurotoku-san?” Mai asked while she bent closer to his face. He could see that she had a slight flush and he could smell alcohol coming from her. He was about to open his mouth when Yukio cut in: “He's probably been hanging out outside `Keio U' again. Ha-ha, you always seem to have your head in the clouds, but you still manage to place fourth in the national exams. Are you some kind of magician, Kurotoku-kun?” Yukio smiled and laughed that despicable laughter that made Kazuki want to rip out his tongue, and nail it to a wall.
“I've been clubbing! Had to celebrate our day off school today, you know!” Mai said while winking at Kazuki.
“I've been out with Hiro and Toru. We had a blast down at the arcade!” Yukio exclaimed in his usual happy-go-lucky tone.
“A-and, we all met on the bus...” finished Ayako, a light blush visible on her face.
“Hey, Akagawa-san. You never said where you were today...”
“Yeah...” Mai agreed, “Don't tell me you were with a man, hmm?”
“I... that's...” Ayako turned red and brought her hand up to her face, touching her lip.
While Mai and Yukio were pre-occupied with questioning the blushing teen, Kazuki stood and walked silently away from them, heading for a restroom. He opened the door marked “WC” and was presented with two new doors. The doors had signs with illustrations that were made to resemble a man and a woman.
He opened the door marked `men' and stopped in the entrance for awhile, taking in the room. It was dirty. Rust and dirt had claimed most of the appliances, the floor and counters were wet. He sighed. He walked over to the mirror that hung over the soaked counters and checked his appearance. He looked calm and neutral, but in reality he was bored and annoyed. Running into those annoying classmates had been the tip of the iceberg, for another event less and boring day. He ran his fingers through his jet-black hair. The hair moved back into its regular position, covering his forehead and almost reaching down to block the view of his green eyes.
He was wearing his usual school uniform, having showed up at his school earlier, but only been told to go home as the teacher was sick and that a substitute had not presented itself. The jacket of the uniform was buttoned up to below his chin with golden, brass buttons. The shirt under the black jacket was visible over the edges of the collar and was in white. The pants were also black to match his black shoes. His belt was also black and had a golden buckle. The uniform was, in short, militaristic as was the school's girl's uniform as well. He lost interest in studying his appearance and sighed once, before lifting his left arm, pulling back the sleeve, and inspecting his watch. The bus would arrive in two minutes.
He grabbed his backpack that had been put down by his side and walked hurriedly out of the restroom to the bus that was headed for Akasaka where Kazuki's house was located. The bus was already there so he got in and paid the driver. He sat down all the way in the back and glanced out the window, trying to locate the students that had annoyed him a few minutes earlier. He discovered that Mai and Yukio were now sitting on the bench that he had occupied earlier, apparently in a heated argument. Even though it looked as though Yukio was losing the discussion, his smile never faltered.
Kazuki felt disgusted and turned away slightly, looking sideways out of the window towards the front of the bus. As the bus started moving, he noticed that none of the seats in front of him were occupied. He figured he was all alone on the bus so he put the backpack that had been sitting on his lap on the unoccupied seat to his right. He lay back against the seat and closed his eyes. He cracked his neck first to the left and then to the right. He then yawned loudly and stretched his hands to either side, but suddenly his left hand brushed up against something on the seat to his left. He quickly retracted his hand, startled.
He turned his head towards the seat and almost jumped in surprise. Without him noticing, perhaps when he was staring out the window, Ayako had gotten on the bus, paid for her ticket and sat down next to him. She was extremely flustered as she looked down at her right breast, her hands held a few inches from it. He looked at her in disbelief. She met his gaze and he could see that she looked scared and confused. They sat in silence for several moments, before Kazuki opened his mouth to apologize, when Ayako suddenly stood up and paced a few rows up and almost threw herself into an empty seat near the doors.
Kazuki sat frozen for a few seconds before loosening up, supporting his head on his hand and glancing out of the window. He gave a nigh-inaudible chuckle.
Ningen...
 
After about twenty minutes, Ayako stepped off the bus, still looking flustered. As the bus started moving again, he could see that Ayako held a hand pressed to the top of her right breast, deep in thought. He almost laughed, but held his composure. After ten more minutes he finally got off at his stop and started walking towards his house. He glanced at his watch: 20:09. He figured it would be at least another hour before his mother would come home, rather than walk through the door she would probably stumble through it. Alcohol had that effect on people, he figured. His mother had been like this since his father was killed a few years back. He had not been told much about what happened to him, just that he had died while in prison. Apparently he had tried to steal money from his supervisors and died in prison of a heart attack. Kazuki did not know how much of what he was told was true, though he did not really care.
He reached his house, unlocked the front door and stepped inside. He removed his shoes and exchanged them for a few indoor slippers, as was customary in the household. Well, at least he did it when he came in. While his mother was mostly too drunk to even see straight and much less remove her shoes. Kazuki walked slowly through his house, headed for the stairs that led to the floor above. He made his way upstairs and entered his room. He glanced at the familiar sight and immediately felt calmer. The small desk in the corner, the TV, closet, and computer. His room had no posters or paintings hung on the walls. It was always tidy and neat, it was perfect. Unlike the rest of the world around him.
Kazuki sat down at his desk and turned on his computer. He occupied himself by writing a few wikipedia articles, his books open next to him. When he had almost completed one of his articles on Aristotle, he realized he would probably need his physics book to fill in the blanks. He reached down into his backpack and grabbed hold of what he thought was the right book. He was instead presented with the black notebook that he had forgotten he even had. He looked at it thoughtfully for a second before putting it aside on his desk. He pulled up his physics book and finished his article. He finally leaned back in his chair and yawned, stretching his arms to either side.
He glanced at his watch: It was very late and his mother had not yet returned. He was not surprised. She was always like that, not giving a damn about the son who was awaiting her at home and having a blast almost every night. The only time when she wasn't out partying was when she was sleeping rather soundly on the couch. She always seemed to get no further than that when she came stumbling in through the front door. His eyes left the watch and decided to turn towards the desk again. He found the notebook with his eyes. He reached his hand out to it and held it in front of him. He made on last attempt at reading the weird unrecognizable symbols on the front, before opening it up.
He read the first page and couldn't help but stare at the notebook for a few moments. He read the page again. When he finished reading it for the third time a small smile crept over his features. It broadened slowly as he processed the contents of the page in his mind. He closed the notebook and closed his eyes.
“Hahahahahahahah!” it was ridiculous. He should have known better than to pick up a black notebook just lying on the ground. It probably belonged to some Goth or emo person that tried to vent his or her emotions through it. When he finished laughing he turned to the next page to see who this twisted person had tried to kill, but found that the page was empty. He quickly leafed through the rest of the notebook but found that the other pages were empty as well. Feeling disappointed, he closed the notebook and laid it in front of him on the desk. He started imagining what kind of person would do this and could not help but smile at all the interesting images that emerged in his mind.
After about five minutes he lost interest. He checked his watch again: 23:48. He was becoming angrier by the minute. He wondered why she always had to stay out so long and drink away her sorrows like that. He hated her for it. He started feeling the urge to vent his frustration, instead of throwing objects around the room or cursing he grabbed a pen and opened the black notebook on the first page again. He figured he would play the game of this supposed “Death Note” and looked the rules over once more. He then turned the page and wrote on the first line: “Kurotoku Mizuki. Traffic accident. She stumbles out of a bar and into traffic, being hit by a truck and flying ten feet before landing on the pavement, rolling and crushing her body against a parked car at 11.01 p.m. on March 22. 2029.” He looked it over and felt slightly better. He sighed once before closing the book and placing it in a drawer. He decided that now would be a good time to go to bed, so he turned off the light and walked over to the window. Before closing the blinds he saw that the moon was exceptionally beautiful that night. He undressed and got into his bed, unaware of the screaming of horrified witnesses, to the serious accident in front of a small bar in downtown Tokyo.
 
1. Keio University
2. Japanese word for Death God