Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Calamvs Gladio Fortoir ❯ Chapter Two: L ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Is this Kurotoku Mizuki?”
Kazuki stared at the corpse lying on a stretcher that came out of the wall in the coroner's office. The body was covered with injuries. The face was unrecognizable. The only thing that was still `intact' was her hair. He stared in silence, completely ignoring the question the concerned-looking man next to him had just asked.
 
Chapter Two: L
 
Kazuki sat silently on the bus. Since it was very early in the morning there were no other passengers. The time was six A.M. to be exact. He stared absent mindedly into space replaying the happenings of this morning in his mind.
He had been awoken in the middle of the night by a police officer that knocked on the door, “Kurotoku Kazuki?” Kazuki nodded in response.
“Your mother has been in an accident.”
Kazuki's eyes widened. His jaw opened and slacked downward. He felt an icy chill go down his back. He followed the police officer to the car and drove to the station. He was presented with the mutilated body of his mother and some paperwork. He could not remember much of what had been said at the station. He vaguely remembered refusing being driven home, saying that he needed some fresh air. The bus stopped at the station he had met his classmates the day before.
He left the bus and sat down on a bench in the station, he would have to take another bus to go all the way home. He was wearing his school uniform, not having thought of anything else to wear when he met the police officer at his door. He stood from his seat and headed for the restroom, feeling slightly sick. He pushed open the door and stumbled over to the unusually clean counter. He placed his hands on the counter and leaned forward. He looked at himself and was not surprised to see his tired eyes looking back at him.
He didn't notice at first, but there was something else in his eyes. He recognized it instantly: He looked guilty. He knew that the notebook's power was real. It could not have been a coincidence. He started feeling sicker than before, his stomach churning. He was a murderer. He spun and headed for a nearby stall, but was too late. Before he even reached the door he felt the vomit leave his stomach. He crumpled on the floor and heaved for air in between puking on the restroom floor. After a while his stomach finally stopped turning itself inside out, so he could get back on his feet.
He stumbled over to the sink and drank a few mouthfuls of water. He brought a handful of water to his face; he felt that he had cooled off a bit.
“So... are you drunk or do you just puke on restroom floors for kicks?” Kazuki froze; he didn't realize that there was someone else there. He turned and was faced with a woman that obviously worked at the station. She had a cart with cleaning appliances and looked a bit angry. He cast his eyes down and looked ashamed, he was feeling pretty low. The lady sighed and grabbed a bucket from her cart. She drenched a small piece of cloth in the bucket's contents and started removing the vomit that was splattered on the floor.
“People don't really care about the dirty things they do anymore. They don't even consider that other people hurt from their actions...” Kazuki was unsure of what she was trying to say but he let her continue, “...I guess that is just how the world is. Someone does something bad and others must suffer for it. You puke on the restroom floor and I have to clean it up, cause and effect or whatever they say.” She sighed.
“Well, even if all those things happen, you can always count on somebody to clean up the bad stuff, eventually... Though it sometimes feels like it doesn't even matter what you do. `Cause in the end, it'll just come back, and then everything will be dirty just as it was before. So there isn't anything you can do but clean it up as best you can every time... It sounds kind of strange doesn't it? Me, an old bag, fighting against the filth of the world?” She laughed.
 
 
The student hid his newly acquired notebook inside some random magazine. He wrote the name of the rude, self-confident, asshole outside of the store. He wrote down six variations of his name, since knowing exactly how to write his name was impossible just upon hearing it. The cause of death would be a traffic accident. He looked at his watch and saw the 40 seconds pass: “Now.”
He raised his eyes and looked out of the large window at the small group of people outside: Let's see what happens!?
The girl that was being pestered by the thugs started running. Takuo Shibumaru tried following her on his bike, but was slightly hindered by a 3.8 ton trailer. The student that just realized that he was a murderer left the store and stumbled away from the scene of the `accident'. He threw up in his mouth but forced it back down.
I... I've killed two people... He looked at his hands in disbelief, “I've... Killed... Two people... Me... What do I do...?”
He clutched his bag with shaky fingers: “Get... Rid of this evil thing...”
He considered burning it for a second before he suddenly saw everything very clear: ”...No... I was actually doing a service killing him...” He saw a clear picture of the kidnapper he had killed the day before in his mind.
“...But what about the second guy...? That wasn't worth the death penalty, what he did...” He leaned against the wall in thought: “...No, wait... This is what I've been thinking all along-“
He clenched his fist: “This world is a rotten mess. It really needs to be cleaned up. I... With this notebook, I can actually do it...” He didn't notice he had started walking before he had arrived at his home.
“The question is... Do I have the guts...?”
 
 
“Well, what I'm really trying to say is this...” the female bus station employee stood, threw the used piece of cloth in the bucket, and put it back on the cart. She looked at him, “...Whatever troubles you, young man, can only be overcome by perseverance and patience. If something goes wrong and you need to remove the filth that is thrown your way, you must keep fighting and hang in there. That is all we can do, we don't have divine power or anything, now do we?” she smiled at him, before pushing her cart in front of her and leaving the restroom. Kazuki looked down at the spot that his vomit had previously occupied. That part of the floor was now spotless. He closed his eyes and leaned against the counter, facing the mirror. He opened his eyes and met his own gaze. He saw no guilt, but resolve. His lips parted: “The filth of the world... Divine power...”
Kazuki no longer felt sick as he sat on the bus. He had already started planning how he would eradicate the filth of the world.
 
 
“I... I don't believe it...”
The owner of the Death Note dropped by the shinigami named Ryuk looked at the TV in disbelief.
“This was an experiment to test a hunch I had, but I never really thought...” The TV now displayed an empty chair behind a desk, with a note on it that said `Lind L. Tailor', “Kira... You can actually kill people without direct contact...”
“What?!” The teenager exclaimed, paying close attention to the words of L through the TV screen.
“So... My hunch was right... I couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. But you can... You'd have to. Of course it didn't make sense otherwise... Listen to me, Kira. If you just killed Lind L. Tailor, the man you saw on your TV. He was a condemned criminal scheduled to die today, at this hour. His arrest and conviction were kept secret from the media, and went unreported even on the internet. Even you had no way of knowing about him, it seems...”
“Hyuk hyuk, he got you there.” The shinigami behind the 17 year old killer said.
“But I, L, do in fact exist. So come on! Kill me if you can!!” `Kira' sat motionless staring at the screen: That jerk...
“What are you waiting for? Come on! Go ahead and kill me. I'm still here. Can't do it, Kira?” almost the entire city of Tokyo held its breath for five seconds: “Evidently, you aren't able to kill me.”
“The one who's breathing the biggest sigh of relief right now is L, hyuk hyuk.”
“So there are people you can't kill. That's a valuable clue. Now I'll give you some information, in return.”
The student edged a bit closer to the TV, afraid he might miss anything crucial.
“Although it was announced that this was being televised globally...Actually, it was broadcast only in the Kanto region around Tokyo. The plan was to broadcast live to other areas in turn, but that's no longer necessary. You are in the Kanto region of Japan, Kira.”
The Shinigami had another comment to L's actions, but the student sitting mouth agape, staring at the TV-screen did not hear it.
“And, although the police have missed this, your first victim was the Shinjuku killer who took eight people hostage in a nursery school. I knew, Kira that you were in Japan!! And that your first victim was nothing but a guinea pig for testing your powers. We broadcast first to Kanto because it has the largest regional population in the country. That you happened to be there was pure luck. I didn't expect this to work so perfectly according to plan, but… Now I dare say, it may not be so long I send you to die.”
Kira, now on his feet stared wide-eyed at the Tv-screen and listened to the greatest detective in the world challenge him.
“Kira, it would interest me greatly to know how you carry out your murders… But that's something… I can find out after I catch you!!”
Kira now leaned forward on his desk looked up at the screen: “Send me... To die, he said… L…”
“Kira…” the TV responded.
I'm going to find and dispose of you, if it's the last thing I do!!” the new rivals shouted in unison.
 
“Aizawa…”
“Yes?”
“I have a few new mysterious deaths for you to look into.”
Aizawa Shuichi sighed as he received the information the person on the other side of the line gave him. Aizawa got back into his police car and sat down next to Matsuda Tota: “We've got five cases today.”
“Lay it on me, then,” Matsuda answered, taking a sip of his coffee.