Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ Enjoyment ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Death Note : Rebirth
-Chapter 4 : Enjoyment-

Meanwhile, in a hotel room from the human world...
"Lidner, could you get me the file on the Densons' case?"
"Right away, Near..."
"And while you're at it, stop by the Police Department and retrieve the evidence from the last case."
"Understood. See you later, Near."
Near was now 24 years old and remained the greatest detective of all times...But his abilities were never required too much since the Kira case. Within these years most of his teams' members have quit, leaving only Lidner on Nears' side.
January the 28th. Exactly twelve years since Kiras' death. Near stood alone in one of the hotel rooms he used as a headquarters. Despite his age, he still played with his old toys. He was reconstructing a crime scene from his latest case when he noticed two pieces of paper, took them and threw them in the garbage can. Then he resumed his work.
About 10 minutes later he heard an ambulance passing by. Or so he thought. Actually it had stopped right at the hotel. Near approached the window, opened it, looked down and didn't believe what he was seeing.
Three doctors were carrying Lidners' dead body on a stretcher.
He would've hurried downstairs but he couldn't risk revealing his face to the public. So, he went to his computer and tried to contact the hospital but suddenly all his computers shut down by themselves and there was nothing he could do to turn them back on. He thought it could be a power failure but all the other utilities were working perfectly, except for the phone.
Then he sat down on the sofa and started thinking about what could've happened to Lidner.
"It's a hear attack, Near..."
The sudden voice scared him off the sofa and he was now lying on the floor, facing up. And right in front of him sat a nostalgic but terrifying figure.
"...Why are you back...Ryuk?"
"I thoght I drop by and say hello...So...Hello!"
"Saying hello by killing Lidner?"
"Huh? That wasn't me..."
"It was me, Near!"
An even more terrifying figure was now standing on a couch besides Nears' desk.
"Y-...Yagami Light?!? B-...but you're dead!"
"Dead? Death gods can't die Near, you should know that better than anyone else..."
"But you're not-...are you?"
"I am now. And it's time for me to return to my fellow humans. Now that I gained immortality no one can stop me from ruling over my future utopia."
"You were just a murderer when you were alive...And you haven't changed."
"I feel sorry for you Near...You really don't understand what is good for the future of mankind..."
"I'll stop you no matter what. There's always a way."
"What? I can't hear you clearly...Anyway, I don't have time to lose...I have to go...See ya later."
"He, he..."
Light and Ryuk both fled out the window leaving Near alone again. But as they were getting farther and farther away from the hotel, a booming sound came from Nears' window. The entire room was blown up along with him too.
But none of the two turned around to see what's happening. They continued to fly away from the hotel, Ryuk having a burst of enjoyment and Light with an evil grin on his face...