Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ Reunion ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Death Note : Rebirth
-Chapter 10-
-Reunion-

"Huh? Wasn't he the one that shot you 12 years ago?"
"Yeah. That's why I want to talk to him. I want to know why did he help Misa after what he did to me."
"He,he...this should be interesting."
"Judging by the information I found, Matsuda should still be working in the Police Department so that's where we should start searching."
Being anxious to meet Matsuda again, Ryuk and Light hurried to the second institution they had to visit this day. After they arrived, they decided to enter through the front door instead of just passing through the walls.
"This is pretty nostalgic. Too bad I had to get my father killed. A meeting between us would've been a bit interesting."
"Maybe. But if you would've let him live your life as a human would've ended earlier."
"I know."
They continued their way quietly towards Matsudas' office. Now that the former chief of police, Souchirou Yagami, died and the one that replaced him, Mogi, has retired, Matsuda was promoted as teh new chief. Becuase of that, Light knew the way to the office perfectly.
"Aizawa. I want the full report on what happened to Near and Lidner."
"Understood, Matsuda."
"We have to find out what happened to them."
"In Nears' case they said it was a gas pipe accident."
"Aizawa. Near doesn't die in accidents. Plus, Lidner died of a hear attack."
"You don't think-"
"We can never know."
"But Near destroyed the last Death Note and all the former users are dead too, Matsuda."
"You forget that there are billions of death gods and billions of humans. So new Death Notes and new users can always appear."
"Then we don't have time for chatting, Matsuda. I'll get straight to work."
"Alright, Aizawa. Tell me when you've got something new."
"I'll be going then."
During the chat between the two, Light and his companion were floating in a corner of the room waiting for Aizawa to disappear.
"Matsuda changed, Light. He actually looks...mature."
Light didn't reply. Instead he ripped a piece of paper form the Death Note and dropped it in front of Matsuda.
"What the hell?"
He reached for the paper, took it and stared at it.
"I must be seeing things."
"You've become quite something, Matsuda."
At the sound of Lights' voice he threw himself off the chair and fell on the floor.
"Light!"
"Why are you so surprised to see me, Matsuda? I thought you already figured it out that Nears' death was the work of a Death Note."
"Yeah...but...you died...right?"
"I did. But I came back. I have some unfinished business in this world."
"But-"
"Shut up. I'm talking and you're listening. I want you to tell me something."
"What?"
"Why did you help Misa in commiting suicide?"