Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ Rebirth ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Death Note : Rebirth
-Chapter 11-
-Rebirth-

"That's a bit hard to explain, Light..."
"What could be so hard? I just want to know why did you use the Death Note after shooting me twice for doing just that."
"But...how did you know it was me?"
"That doesn't matter. I actually thought you would've come on my side after all you said about Kira being-"
"I was on your side, Light!"
"Huh? Light, I want Matsuda to see me too..."
"Very well, Ryuk."
"Ryuk? Is he here too?"
Ryuk took out his Death Note and touched Matsuda with it.
"He, he...you're quite weird, Matsuda. Why did you shoot Light if you say you were on his side?"
"I have my own reasons for doing that."
"If you want to keep your life then explain it to me right now." demanded Light.
"Fine. I'll tell you. It was a desperate situation. If I wouldn't have shot you then you would've succeeded in killing Near then, right? But after that, someone else from his or even our team would've shot you or captured you so Nears' death would've been in vain. And I wanted to keep my position in the police force and the others' trust. I couldn't just join you. It would've meant my death."
"What about now?"
"What do you mean?"
"Are you still on my side?"
"I always regreted your death. I think you would've realized great things as Kira. So...how should I put it...your will is my command, Light."
"Very well. I have a task for you then."
"What is it?"
"I want you to arrange an interview with every member in the Police Department. I want to know who is for and who is against Kira."
"It's not that simple. What should I tell them as a reason?"
"Tell them you think a new Kira might be involved in Nears' case."
"I'll try."
"By the way. You should use a lie detector."
"Understood."
Matsuda started right away to gather people for the interview. It took about three days until it was over. But during this time, Light was paid a visit by another death god that was unknown to him. He was dressed different than others. He almost looked like a pilot from the human world.
"You're Light, right?"
<<Wait. Wasn't the tunnel damaged?>>
"Yes. That's me."
"I have a question for you."
<<This is strange.>>
"What is it?"
"I heard yor story from before you died. But there's one thing they didn't know."
"What?"
"Who was the one that was against you and defeated you as a human?"
<<This is deifinitely strange. The tunnel was damaged by the King and only the King himself could've returned it to its normal state. So that must mean that this guy was sent by him. But why would he want the name of the guy that defeated me? Unless...he wants me to disappear, right? And only Near would be smart enought to find a way to get me killed so he probably wants to revive him. Very well. I'll tell him his name.>>
"Teru. Teru Mikami."
"Thanks. That's all I needed to know. I'll have to get going. See ya later..."
Lights' mind was now working faster than ever trying to figure out whether he thought right or not. 'Cause if he did-...
"Light."
"Matsuda. What is it?"
"It's done."
"How many?"
"27."
"Good enough. Gather all of them in a secure room."
"Right away."
In a couple of minutes, the 27 members of the police force were placed in their seats in the very room that Matsuda first heard of the former greatest detective of the world, L Lawliet.
"What is it, chief?"
"Why did you call us here?"
"Chief. Why do you have to be so mysterious?"
"Matsuda. Take this Death Note and touch everyone with it."
"Ok, Light."
"Light? Who is he talking to?"
Whispers surrounded the hall in seconds doubting Matsudas' sanity. During this event, he passed by every member of the team touching them with the Note. Some of them reacted histerically at the sight of Light but some of them didn't react at all as though they expected him to make his appearance.
"So Kira really was Light. I knew it."
"Oh...this is interesting..."
"What the fuck? Are you kidding me??"
Different reactions indeed.
"Everyone. Please calm down. I have something to tell all of you. As I was told by Matsuda, twelve years ago you were a supporter of Kira. Am I right?"
Some of them agreed, some of them didn't reply.
"I have a...favor to ask of you. I want you to join me in my quest of eradicating the evil from our planet. If you will, then please write your name on the paper that Matsuda will give you."
"Why? So you can kill us all?"
"I can already see your names, Daisuke Genshi..."
Matsuda took the premade document to each of the gathered members and then returned it to Light.
"Good...I see you've all signed it. Starting from today, you will be known as...the Legacy of Kira."