Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ 28 ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 14
 
28
 
“You don't give up easily, do you?”
“What?”
“Light, you thought I wouldn't realize that my guards were being killed for the past year?”
“You again.”
“Yes, me. Did you expect someone else?”
“I expected you to stay away from this realm.”
“I would have done that but I really want to kill you.”
“Why?”
“Because I've warned Cero that if someone will dare to use the Death Note as a mere weapon and not as a tool to survive, I will kill that person.”
“But I did use it as a tool for survival. It's just that I was for the survival of the human race.”
“You're just like your father.”
“Huh?”
“That's why he died. The former realm King. Yoshinori. He thought he could save the human race from extinction. And he was right. He did save them that time. But they are meant to lead themselves to self-destruction. You did, indeed, save them again, but the time when they will disappear will certainly come. There's no way around it.”
“But-“
“As far as I remember, you died exactly twenty four years ago. Am I right?”
“Huh?”
“Don't you know what day it is today, Light? It's February 28th.”
“ . . . “
“And you will die again. Today. See? There's no way you can cheat death.”
“But-“
“Ah . . . shut up already. You talk too much.”
“ . . . “
“That's right. Don't say anything. I like silence. Just enjoy it while you still can. You have forty seconds left.”
“Already? Damn it. I want to say one more thing though. Ryuk, come here. I have one last wish.
 
 
 
*
 
“Mom, I'm going to school now.”
“Alright, Satoru. See you in the afternoon, then.”
“Bye, mom.”
Satoru, a young teenage boy, was heading towards school.
<< I hate this. I'm doing this every day. I get up, go to school, get plenty of good grades and then come back home. It's always like this. Nothing else happens. It's boring . . .”
Satoru was walking towards school by foot. It wasn't too far away from his house. Every day, he was passing on the same roads, by the same buildings. Same shops, same markets, same parks.
<< Wait . . . What is this? >>
He noticed it and picked it up. He looked carefully at it and then read on the front cover.
<< Death Note. >>