Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ Self-Dehumanizing ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 5
 
SELF-DEHUMANIZING
 
“Damn it! I should've at least thought that he already left. But I didn't think that he would actually turn up dead.”
“Well what did you expect? The data was twelve years old.”
“Shut up. It's none of your business.”
<< Actually it is my business more than you think. >>
“At least I got what I wanted. It's not exactly what I wished for, but it should do.”
“Do you have some apples?”
“What?”
“Apples.”
“How dare you ask me for apples?”
<< Hmm… >>
“If I don't eat apples, I will die in three days. And if I die, you die, since you are the owner of my Death Note.”
“Oh, fine. Help yourself from the kitchen downstairs. Be careful so my mom won't see any flying apples down there.”
“He, he…”
Ryuk left Satoru in his contemplating moments and passed right through the floor arriving straight into the kitchen. On the other side of the room, Sayu was working at the oven with what Ryuk believed to be a cake.
<< Damn, I can't take an apple without her noticing it. >>
Suddenly there was a knock on the front door.
<< This must be my lucky day. >>
“I'll be there in a moment!” yelled Sayu towards the door. She then took down her apron, put it on a chair and left the kitchen.
“Apples!”
Ryuk took the bowl from the table and started eating every apple, one by one. One minute and all apples mysteriously disappeared.
“What do you mean?”
“I mean that your son might be involved in something extremely dangerous and we might have to take him with us.”
<< Huh? >>
Ryuk thought he heard a familiar voice and went in the hallway.
“But Satoru couldn't have possibly done anything wrong.”
“I didn't say that. It's just that - …”
“Aizawa? What's wrong?”
“Ryuk!”
“What?” asked Sayu confused.
<< Crap. >>
Ryuk rapidly flew up through the ceiling and went into the boy's room.
“Satoru, we have a problem.”
“I knew it! She caught you eating apples, didn't she?”
“Worse than that. There's a police officer downstairs talking to your mom.”
“So?”
“He knows about the Death Note and about the fact that you are using it.”
“What?!? How can you be sure?”
“You'll have to trust me on that.”
“Wait, I'll have to check that myself.”
“You can't go down there.”
“I'm not. I've set up some cameras throughout the house that can be checked from my computer.”
<< Hmm … For a moment I thought he spoke just like Light. >>
“I have to go upstairs immediately, Sayu.”
“I'm sorry, Aizawa, but I can't let you do that. It's true that Satoru's been acting a bit weird since he found that thing, but he's still just a kid. He can't do anything bad at his age.”
“Thing? What thing?”
<< Damn. This is bad. If mom tells the cop about the Death Note that I found, he would barge right in and get me. But, if she doesn't say anything, he would explain to her the situation and she would have no choice but to come with the cop up here and hear everything from myself, but he would see the death god and even if I would tell him to hide, they would search my room for the Death Note and I don't have time to hide it. The only solution left would be-. I can't do it. But I have to, or else everything I've done until now would become completely useless. >>
“I have to do it.”
“Do what?”
“Shut up, death god.”
“…”
Satoru went back towards his desk, opened the upper-right drawer and took out the Death Note from under the fake bottom that Light once built. He then sat on the bed, opened the notebook and started writing his own mother's name.
“What are you doing?”
“I'm killing my mother, can't you see?”
“But why?”
“It's the only chance for me to get away, and I want you to do something.”
“What?”
“You said that the cop can see you right?”