Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ Final Resistance ( Chapter 38 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 10
 
FINAL RESISTANCE
 
“Light.”
“Ryuk, you're back.”
“Yeah, and I've brought the generator with me.”
“Good. Now we can proceed with our plans. Jirou, go get Shibou.”
“Light, what plans are you talking about?”
“Didn't Jirou tell you?”
“No, I don't think so.”
“We're going to kill Enma.”
“Huh? Can you even do that?”
“One of Busou's men has an idea.”
“What idea?”
“You shall see. Shibou, is this generator good enough?”
“It's more than enough, Light.”
“Good. Let's go to the cave, then.”
Shibou with Jirou picked up the generator and started walking slowly towards the cave entrance followed by Light, Ryuk and Mikami who could barely wait for the death of their most powerful enemy.
“We're here. Put it down.”
“Ok.”
“Shibou, go check if Enma's chains are still intact and that they will still be like that until we finish our job.”
“Understood.”
“Light.”
“What is it, Jirou?”
“If this doesn't work, there is a high probability that Enma will escape the seal and kill all of us here.”
“How high?”
“Eighty-five percent.”
“That's pretty big.”
“I know. Are you sure you want to do this?”
“If we don't, Enma will eventually escape and kill us anyway.”
“Yeah, you're right.”
“Light!”
Shibou came running towards them.
“What's wrong?”
“We have less than ten minutes until the chains break.”
“Then we should hurry. Go inside, now!”
Shibou and Jirou picked up again the generator and ran as fast as they could. Enma was now struggling even harder than before.
“What should we do now, Shibou?”
“Each of you must grab a cable from the generator and connect it to each of the chains that holds Enma in his place.”
“You will pay for this, death gods!”
“Shut up! Everyone, do exactly as Shibou says!” ordered Light.
And exactly as planned, every cable was attached properly to the energy chains. The preparations were complete.
“Mikami, turn it on!”
“Understood!”
Mikami hurried to the generator, since he was the closest one, pushed the green button and then they all backed up against the wall. The machine started making a loud noise that was almost covering Enma's voice who suddenly started screaming as loud as he could and tried his best to save himself from the power sucking machine. Gradually, his body became more and more transparent, but suddenly, the chain holding his left arm broke free from the wall and the generator cable fell off.
“No! Light, the device won't work if one of the cables is disconnected!”
<< Damn it. >>
“Ryuk, try to put it back!”
“Why me?”
“Just do it already!”
“Fine.”
He tried to approach Enma but as soon as he came close enough, Ryuk was smashed against the wall and knocked unconscious by Enma's free hand.
“Damn. Mikami, try to keep his arm busy until I put the cable back!”
“I'll do my best.”
Mikami approached Enma from behind and grabbed his left hand, trying to hold it as good as he could while Light rapidly took the fallen cable and attached it back to the chain.
“Mikami!” yelled Shibou. “Get away from him or you will -“
But it was too late. The generator's shock was too powerful and Mikami was instantly turned to ashes.
<< Damn it, Mikami. >>
“How much longer, Shibou?”
“A few more seconds!”
Once again, Enma was slowly weakening and became less and less visible. On minute later, Enma had completely disappeared and the energy chains have turned to ashes, just like Mikami did.
“So it's finally over…”