Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ Betrayal ( Chapter 54 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 12

BETRAYAL


"Misaki, did you take care of the Gatherer's headquarters after we got out?"
"Of course, exactly as you ordered me to. We set the builiding on fire while most of the death gods inside were still unconcious."
"Any survivors?"
"I've sent Suzaku with a team down there to check it out. They should be back in about an hour."
"Good. We won't be bothered by them again, right?"
"Well, if the boss is dead, they'll most likely disband."
"Ok, then. I want you to write down the best plan you can come up with against the Followers. I want everything on paper."
"Does that mean that you've solved your problems and that we're ready to attack?"
"Not yet. But I want us to be ready when the time comes."
"Understood. Anything else I can do for you, sir?"
"Did you find out anything about what I asked for?"
"Well, it seems that the memories are genetically transferred from father to son if the new born is half death god. Even if the father isn't one, the genetic code that contains the memories is still in his blood."
"So, when the two realms merged together, the death god genetic code was spread all around the world, right?"
"Something like that."
"And what about the explosion? Did you find anything about that?"
"Explosion, sir?"
"You know, the explosion that L and Near created to destroy the death god realm."
"I'm sorry, sir, but I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't remember any explosion."
"Don't play games with me, Misaki. You know very well that the explosion was the one that merged the worlds."
"No, I don't know. All that I remember is that one day, the death god realm suddenly disappeared, along with the death gods living in it. There was no explosion. I think you are mistaken."
"Stop this nonsense! Get the hell out of here!"
"Sir?"
"Leave now!"
"Very well."
Misaki then slowly left the Altar area wondering if something is wrong with their leader. He seemed to have problems recalling the events that preceeded the half death god age.
There was no explosion.
"What the hell is going on? First Ryuk and Cero don't remember who I am and now Misaki starts loosing his memory? Something is definitely wrong. If Enma has anything to do with this... But it can't be. He died, didn't he? At least that's what I remember. What if ... all my memeories are fake? If none of that really happened then I have a really big problem."
"Sir..."
Misaki was back.
"I thought I told you to leave."
"Actually, you are the one that's suppossed to leave."]
"Huh?"
Suddenly two death gods appeared from behind and caught Light by the arms.
"What is the meaning of this?"
"I think you should tell us first." said Suzaku who came from behind the Altar.
"You too, Suzaku?"
"Me what?"
"You're betraying me too?"
"I think you're the one that betrayed us from the very beginning."
"I don't know what you mean."
"Don't even try, Kira. We know you never were our King. You planted those memories inside our heads, didn't you?"
"I was dead, how could I - "
"But now they're gone. We no longer have to serve you."
"You're wrong! Those memories were real!"
But they weren't listening.
"Take him to the cellars. Keep him there until we find a way to kill him."
"Wait!"
"What do you want?"
"Do you have any better ruler in mind?"
"Of course."
"Who is it?"
"I, Suzaku Yagami, will be the new King of the death gods. And you can't do anything to stop me."
"What did you say?"
"What? Are you that surprised to see me King?"
"No, not that. Did you just say Yagami?"
"Yeah, why?"
<< This can't be happening. It's ... not possible. >>
No answer came from Light.
"Take him away."