Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ Gift ( Chapter 57 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 15

GIFT


Light was now back at the medical center where Cero was working. He hoped that at least here he could find something useful, no matter how unimportant it was. But he was used to getting no answer that he needed so he didn't expect much.
This time, all windows were closed despite the fact that it was summer and it was extremely hot outside. Even at night. He could try just walking through the wall but first he wanted to check out on Cero; trying to be sure he won't barge in in an inappropriate moment.
He didn't know what to make of what he saw through the window, but it was definitely not an appropriate moment. Light was quite confused actually.
Cero was sitting in the middle of the floor surrounded by a circle drawn probably with a chalk. Around the circle, Light counted a total of eight candles and besides each candle some sort of symbol. He couldn’t see what they actually were because of the dim light, but he didn’t really care much anyway.
In a blink of an eye, he missed everything. He had absolutely no idea what happened, but right now Cero was facing the absolute god of death, Enma.
<< What the -? Wasn’t he dead? I swear I killed him. I killed him right in that cave. He couldn’t have possibly survived that. Or could he? No. It’s impossible. But still … he is right here, in this room, right now. >>
“How dare you summon me into this petty world, human?”
“I apologize, master, but I really need you help.”
“And why would I help you?”
“Well, otherwise, you would have come for nothing.”
“I could kill you right now for you insolence, you know that, right?”
“Of course I do, but you would not gain anything from that.”
“I would not gain anything from helping you either.”
“But would it be more interesting to help create a new species?”
“Yeah, you’re right about that – Wait. Species? What the hell are you talking about?”
“Do you know about the half breeds living in this world?”
“Of course I do, what about them?”
“I am trying to make them full time death gods, so they will forever get rid of their human form.”
“Hmm, sounds interesting. But where are you planning to live?”
“We will find a suitable place, that’s not the problem here.”
“What is it then?”
“Well, as death gods, it would be more favorable if we lived longer than normal humans or even forever. That’s why I asked for your help, master.”
“Ah, I think I might have a solution.”
“You do?”
“Of course I do. Who the hell do you think I am?”
“I apologize, master. What is your idea then?”
“Here.”
Enma held his hand in front of Cero and something started to materialize in his palm.
“A … notebook, sir?”
“Yes, a notebook. This will be the end of your problems.”
“How come?”
“Well, how should I put it. Normal humans and even you half breeds have a certain life span, which can’t be changed by natural means. But this notebook can. In order for you to live longer, you will have to right human names inside it.”
“That’s it?”
“But. The human whose name is written in this notebook will die.”
“I doubt that’s going to be problem.”
“Are you sure? Maybe for you it won’t. But what about the others?”
“I’ll convince them this is the only way.”
“And if they will decide to remain in their human form forever?”
“It’s their choice and I will not interfere.”
“Very well then, you can have it.”
“Thank you, master.”
“And stop calling me master already.”
“I apologize, master.”
“Ah, forget about it. Anyway, there is one more thing you will have to do to make your plan be perfect.”
“What is it?”
“You will have to use the Altar.”
While Enma was explaining Cero his plan, Light just stood there amazed by what he was seeing and hearing.
<< This is exactly what Cero told me about back in the death god realm. I think that – Damn.>>
“What’s wrong, master?”
“It seems that we have a guest.”
“What? Who is it?”
“Let’s see.”
He waved his hand towards the window and it opened slamming itself against the wall.
“And who might you be?”
“I know him.”
“You do?” asked Light surprised.
“Yes, I’ve seen you before, in the forest. You’re the one that was talking nonsense.”
“Oh.”
“Is he your friend, Cero?”
“Not even close.”
“Very well then, I will take care of him.”
“You will do what?” asked Light while taking a step back.
“It’s not polite to eavesdrop on other people’s conversation. You will have to punished for that.”
“You won’t even touch me!”
“I don’t have to.”
Light immediately spread his wings and took off from the balcony but right after that lost control and fell down on the street. He felt pain all over his body and he was bleeding.
<< Bleeding? >>
“Yes, you are indeed bleeding. This will be your punishment, Yagami Light.”
“You can’t do this to me!”
“Apparently I already did.”
“You have no right!”
“Oh, but I have all the right in the world. Anyway, I have to go now. I’m tired.”
“Wait!”
But it was too late. Enma had already disappeared and Light still had problems trying to realize what had happened to him but he knew it. He just didn’t want to admit it.
He was transformed back into a human.