Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Keep Your Friends Close But Your Enemies Closer ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Ren and I just got back from Otakon! Ren cosplayed as Misamisa and I cosplayed as Raito, while our friend did L. It was awesome! We did a few… er … hilarious L/Raito fanservice piccys, so if you'd like to check them out, they're posted on my lj (link in profile).
Anyway, about this chapter: Ren wrote the beginning, as well as the stairs scene in the next chapter, and then she forced me to finish this and the next chapter on the equivalent of gunpoint. Yeah. So much for TEAMWORK! Haha. Ignore me. School's starting soon and I'm overworked XD
----
“Mm, well….as far as I can tell, you have a mild concussion,” Raito's mother declared confidently. “No need to send for a doctor—but how, exactly, did you hurt your head?”
Raito sighed. “Tennis,” he said tiredly. “Thanks, mother,” he added politely, and threw in an insincere smile to please her. Grimacing, he got up from his chair and headed for his room, preparing to do some serious thinking.
His plans regarding L had so far failed. And in addition to that, Misa was now amplifying his rapidly growing headache. She would have to be told of his plan; otherwise, he would lose an indispensable asset in his design for a better world. Fortunately, so far L had been completely clueless. So clueless, in fact, that it was really almost adorable.
Raito stopped short in the doorway of his room and replayed that last thought with growing shock. “That thought did not just happen,” he told his brain sternly, barely aware that he was speaking aloud. Ah, but you cannot deny that L IS adorable, said a treacherous voice in his mind. Those wide, innocent eyes, and that messy look about him that always makes him seem like he's just got out of bed...
“Shut up!” Raito growled, walking into his room—and straight into Ryuuk.
“Talking to yourself?” Ryuuk asked curiously. “That's a first. I take it your Plan is not going well?”
Raito shot Ryuuk a glare that would probably have been lethal if directed at anyone but a shinigami. “No,” he snapped curtly, “Although I wasn't aware you were interested in my plan.”
“It's entertaining,” Ryuuk replied with what might have been a shrug. “Do you have an apple for me?”
Raito shook his head. “I've been busy,” he explained, injecting false coolness into his voice in an effort to control his temper. “I'll get one for you later,” he added, eyeing Ryuuk suspiciously.
 
Ryuuk's initial look of disappointment had suddenly been replaced with a sly expression. “What does L like to eat?” the death god asked innocently.
Raito searched Ryuuk's face for a clue as to what this simple question was leading to. “Cake,” he answered slowly.
“Give him cake,” Ryuuk advised instantly.
“I already have,” Raito snapped, pacing his room anxiously.
“Well, give him some more,” Ryuuk said placidly, “just poison it this time.”
Raito turned around to stare at Ryuuk in shock. “You mean,” he began, “murder him the normal way?”
Ryuuk nodded.
Raito frowned. “Absolutely not,” he objected. “Not only is it risky, but it would make me a murderer myself. Plus it would take the fun out of everything,” he whined. But part of him was delaying L's death because…because…hmm, he wasn't quite sure.
“It was just a suggestion,” Ryuuk defended, shrugging. “But you could still give him more cake.”
“Excellent idea,” Raito drawled, “If I surround him with various types of cake, he'll fall in love with me. Great plan, Ryuuk!” he mocked sarcastically.
“It was just a suggestion,” Ryuuk repeated, looking miffed.
On second thought, Raito mused, a devious look crossing his face. Picking up his cell phone, he dialed L's number and smiled when he heard L answer. This would be fun.
-----
It was a foolproof plan. There was a pastry shop right near the hotel, and Raito would give L the cake outside the shop, asking him to meet him at the hotel. This would give L a direct choice in the matter of whether or not to come, hopefully helping Raito further gain his trust. And, of course, cake plus L equaled happy L, and happy L plus Raito being the cause of his happiness equaled…well, only time would reveal the sum of that equation.
Raito entered the pastry shop, already debating what flavor of cake would be best. Strawberry, perhaps. Strawberries also seemed to be quite a weakness of L's.
He ordered a three-tiered strawberry cake, and then hand-wrote a note to stick in the box. It said, in Raito's most flowery script:
Ryuu-
I'm sorry about what happened last night. Will this gift make up for it?
If you think you can stand my humble company again, please come to room 427 of the Hilton next door to the shop your gift is from. I'll be waiting.
Yours always and truly, Yagami Raito
Raito sniggered slightly at what he had written. Him, the great Kira, being referred to as `humble company'? How laughable. If only L really knew…
Raito laughed again as he spotted L meandering about near the cake shop. He appeared completely entranced in the cakes on display. Raito wouldn't have been very surprised if he was actually drooling.
He smirked slightly, and then walked forward, towards L. “Uh…Ryuu?” he asked timidly, the smirk replaced with an innocently nervous look. “I…I got this for you.”
He pushed the box into L's hands and then quickly turned on his heel and race-walked away. L would read the note and then come of his own will, knowing what would probably take place.
But then again, Raito knew L wasn't exactly the bright type, so he may actually not realize what would probably take place.
Raito slowed his pace, strolling grandly into the hotel. This would be a piece of proverbial, and perhaps literal, cake.
----
L stared intently at the box Raito had shoved into his hands. It was light pink and featured the emblem of the cake shop he was currently ogling. Shaking his head slightly, he had to wonder what Raito was up to this time.
He had never expressly caught Raito killing any criminals, but that didn't necessarily mean he wasn't Kira. There were certain of Raito's behaviors that were peculiar, and L just had a gut feeling that Raito and Kira were one in the same.
Still, he was a detective above all else. There was no concrete evidence against Raito, so it couldn't be assumed quite yet that it was actually Raito was actually the notorious serial-killing mass murderer.
L was almost glad there was no proof. It meant Raito might still be innocent, and his attempts at a friendship with L weren't all conniving and fake. Of course, if Raito turned out to be Kira, L would have absolutely no problem turning him in. That was simply what he did: it was his job.
Directing his attention away from these thoughts, L looked again at the large pink box in his hands. There was obviously some sort of cake inside, but he was still hesitant to open it. After the night before, what did Raito expect him to do? Was he playing right into Raito's hands, just asking to be the next Kira casualty?
L shook his head again. These thoughts were getting him nowhere. The only thing to do was open the box, find out what Raito wanted, and then decide whether or not to give it to him.
L slipped a finger under the flap of the box. He flicked the lid open, eyes roaming over the box's contents.
It was a cake. A rather delicious looking cake.
L leaned in closer, sniffing. Strawberry, it was strawberry. Raito had gotten him a strawberry cake, his absolute favorite.
L sighed, gingerly picking up the card taped to the inside of the lid. He read it through several times before deciding his next move.
Raito once again wanted him to come to his hotel room. If it happened anything like last time, Raito would probably try to sweet-talk him, and that could only mean one thing: Raito did, in fact, want something from L. But would he be willing to give Raito the thing he seemed to want so badly? And furthermore, what was Raito's real motivation in the first place?
L slipped the card into his pocket, using his now free fingers to scoop up some icing. It tasted delightful, sugary and sweet. Closing his eyes in ecstasy, L began walking towards the hotel. It wouldn't hurt to play along with Raito's little game, at least until he knew exactly what the rules were and why Raito even wanted to play at all.
-----
Raito sniggered menacingly when he heard the knock on the hotel door. Plastering a smile on his face, he opened it, gesturing for L to come inside. L did so, slipping off his ratty shoes as he entered.
“It's good to see you, Ryuu. I didn't think you'd come!” Raito's voice was full of forced exuberance.
L looked at him, cocking his head to the side. “I rather like games, actually,” he said softly.
Raito blinked at the strange response. Games? What the hell? Where had that come from? L was clearly just a little crazy. Raito hadn't played a game since he was small child, unless you counted tennis matches. But he had never considered them games. They were much more serious, not something trifle like a child's board game or a round of tag. He certainly wasn't playing one now.
At least Raito was so close to just being rid of the damned fool.
“Well, I had some plates and forks brought up so we could eat the cake together,” he finally said, deciding to ignore L's odd comment.
L nodded, handing the box of cake to Raito, who cut it into eight generous-sized pieces. He handed L a fork and plate, setting a piece gently atop it. He had long ago noted the peculiar way L held his eating utensils, and even his cell phone, but it still annoyed him to no end.
He took a piece for himself, trying to suppress this surge of annoyance. It was surprisingly easy, as just at that moment, L looked up and straight into Raito's eyes. This sent a warmth through Raito, something he had never experienced before. Chalking it up to anger at the man, he continued eating his cake.
But there was niggling feeling that it wasn't anger at all. Something closer to…lust, almost.
He bit down hard onto his tongue, trying to dispel the feeling. He had to remain in control of himself and the situation. Without that, there was nothing. Except maybe this strange feeling of lust.
Raito closed his eyes, still trying to regain composure. He certainly did not want to be left alone with L and this feeling. He absolutely had to remain in control. Whatever personal or psychological problems he was having could wait until after he was laughing at L's funeral.
Deciding that perhaps this would be a good time for a little stretch, he suggested the idea to L. Maybe it was just L's own incompetence clouding his thoughts. Fresh air could only do good.
L nodded once, finishing his cake, and followed Raito out the door of the hotel room. Raito looked down at L's feet as they padded through the hallway, noticing they were still shoeless. He took a deep breath, suppressing a scowl at this. Why the hell did he have to annoy Raito so much?
God, this is going to be a long, long night, Raito thought sullenly.
-----
A/N: We actually stayed in room 427 at a hotel during Otakon! XD
To look forward to in chapter 6: Raito snaps (but will it be with lust or anger!), while L finally decides his stand on his “Raito-is-really-Kira” theory!
To the person who asked who's the seme: It's L! Totally. He's completely in control of this relationship. XD