Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Keep Your Friends Close But Your Enemies Closer ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Oh man, this is my cliché chapter. You are warned! XD
 
The first time I posed this chapter was 3 days before DN was released in English. But then MM.org's fcking chapter manager thing went and replaced my chapters, putting them in some weird order, so I had to reupload all 11, losing all my hits in the process! Yayz!!11 Ok, I'll stop ranting now. Enjoy the story.
 
-----
 
“You got hurt in a freak tennis accident?” Matsuda asked, slightly skeptical. Even if L was smarter than him, he wasn't about to believe something quite so far-fetched.
 
L nodded gravely. “My ability at tennis has been increasing since my games with Raito; the level of play is so much higher. Unfortunately, the number of injuries sustained by such matches also increases.”
 
Matsuda nodded. L could be odd, but he was still an unrivalled genius. Unrivalled by all except perhaps Raito, that is.
 
Raito overheard the scene with scorn, turning his face away and narrowing his eyes. L was a complete Neanderthal. A tennis accident? Who would use such a lame excuse as that…
 
“Yagami-kun has a very good backhand, don't you?” L said, dragging Raito into the conversation.
 
Raito turned around, trying to suppress his death-glare. The result was a rather pained scowling look. “Don't you think we should get back to work, Ryuuzaki?” he said through gritted teeth.
 
L smiled slightly. “You're so serious, Yagami-kun.” There was no hint of the smile in his voice.
 
Raito grimaced frostily back. “Catching Kira is of utmost importance. I have no time in which to fool around.”
 
`No time in which to fool around? Because you must catch Kira or because, as Kira, you must hide yourself from being caught?' L thought, keeping his face completely expressionless.
 
Matsuda watched the interaction in awe. Some sort of tacit exchange had just occurred on an intellectual level far above his own. Something had happened, although he knew he didn't have a chance of comprehending exactly what. Shaking his head, he turned from the observation room. The whole ordeal was rather over him.
 
Now alone, Raito and L looked at each other intently for a moment. Something twinged in Raito's stomach as L's bottomless black eyes peered into his own. Clearing his throat, he suddenly found the oppressive silence nearly unbearable. “I'm sorry about the stairs, Ryuu,” Raito said in an effort to break the silence.
 
Of course he couldn't really be sorry. It was all an act in order to seduce L. That's what it always had been and what it always would be. Even if the man was drop-dead gorgeous, he was still the enemy and would have to be eliminated at all costs.
 
After weeks of doubting his feelings towards L, he had finally come to terms with them. The push down the stairs and subsequent rush of emotions was enough for him to realize what was really plaguing him.
 
Pure, unadulterated lasciviousness.
 
Now that he was finally out of the denial stage, he could move onto much more productive things and set aside the feelings connected with L. Of course, his plan now had a new goal in addition to the old one of simply killing L: to seduce him first. Raito felt his win would be empty if he was to kill the fool without much trouble. That would be far too boring for someone of Raito's intellectual abilities.
 
“That's fine, Yagami-kun,” L said in his usual, mild and un-emotive voice. Since the stairs incident, he had once again taken to calling Raito “Yagami-kun”. Although L had admitted that Raito probably wasn't Kira, Raito couldn't help but think the informality of L's speech was a huge step backwards.
 
Raito forced his face to look concerned. “If you really think that, then I'd like to invite you out to dinner for tomorrow.” He tried to keep his voice level, but secretly he was exceptionally nervous. And this scared him, although he'd never actually admit to being scared.
 
He had never ever been nervous before, at least not over something like this. It was almost like asking someone out on a date, which he had never done before, in truth, but he had been in much more intimate situations. Misa often forced herself on him, but those situations were never pleasant and often resulted in the rise of Raito's temper.
 
Raito looked intently at L, trying to will away any further feelings for the man. Lust was where he drew the line.
 
“Well, I suppose. If you think it would be beneficial,” L replied slowly, not sure of what to make of this offer. It could be dangerous to blindly accept anything Raito gave him. Raito's motivation was never quite clear.
 
Raito's face cracked into a smile, laced with a slight smirk. “Great! We can go after work, since tomorrow's Friday.”
 
L nodded his agreement, and they both went back to work. Sensing the conclusion of the tense moment, Matsuda padded lightly back into the room, glancing gingerly between Raito and L. Although Raito looked much happier and less worried than moments before, L looked much more troubled.
 
----
 
Raito cleared his throat, trying almost desperately to ignore how hard his heart was pounding. He scrunched his eyes shut, attempting to regain his composure. It was just dinner. Just dinner, whereupon he would seduce L. And, perhaps if things went well, they would get a hotel room, although hotels had never gone well for the pair.
 
He looked up at the man across from him, noticing how the soft candlelight played on L's features, accentuating the fine curves of his cheeks.
 
“I'm sorry?” Raito said for the fourth time that evening. He had been paying far too much attention to L's visage to gather what the man was actually saying. Not that it really mattered; the featherbrained L could never actually have something consequential to say.
 
“I asked, Yagami-kun, if we could go to that delicious pastry shop,” L stated, as patient and impassive as ever.
 
A vein in Raito's face pulsed with annoyance. He wasn't nearly as tolerant as L. All the man ever wanted was dessert! If he wasn't careful, he'd lose that delectable figure. But if that did happen, at least Raito wouldn't be so entranced with the idiot anymore and things could back to the way they were when Raito simply wanted him dead.
 
“Yes, Ryuu. Yes, we can go.”
 
For the first time that evening, L's countenance lit up. This caused him to look even more sexy, and Raito felt a twinge in the pit of his stomach. He shifted uncomfortably in the restaurant chair, trying to block out the images of L's body spread seductively on a bed. Or better yet, chained to a bed.
 
Raito choked on the water he was sipping. He…no…that just wasn't…he just was not going to think things like that. It was all about mastery and control. He had lost control, and now it was time to regain it.
 
----
 
“I had a very enjoyable time, Yagami-kun.” L's voice played off his lips like sweet music, every syllable beautiful in it's own right.
 
“Yes…yes…” Raito muttered, entranced.
 
“Thank you for the cake,” L said, oblivious of the awkward silence that had just descended on them.
 
“Yeah, anything for you.” He had absolutely no idea what he was saying; he simply wanted to taste and touch and ravish the lips of the raven-haired man.
 
“Goodnight, Raito,” said L definitively, clutching his box of leftover cake to his chest.
 
Raito nodded distractedly, and waited for L to turn around and leave. They were still standing outside the pastry shop.
 
L obligingly turned, but just as he started to walk away, Raito called out to him. The use of his first name had been intoxicating, and he was starting to think he wasn't quite intoxicated enough yet for this type of thought. “Would you like to get a drink?”
 
L gave him a strange look. “Drink?”
 
Suddenly Raito remembered who he was dealing with, as the old enmity flooded back. L's innocent idiocy at blasted him back.
 
“Yes, a drink,” he said distastefully, instantly regretting his plea to spend more time with the dolt.
 
L said nothing for a moment, but then nodded.
 
Raito turned swiftly around and started a brisk walk towards a bar he knew from Misa. She frequented such places, claiming to find them “enjoyable,” although Raito could not understand in the slightest how.
 
He didn't look back to check if L was following.
 
----
 
Black eyes floated hazily before Raito. In fact, the whole bar was a bit hazy. He couldn't quite remember what had prompted him to come here in the first place, only that he was here now, and so was L, Mr. Sexy.
 
Dimly Raito knew he must be quite drunk if he was referring to L as “Mr. Sexy.”
 
In all truth, he had never had liquor before. He considered it a waste of good time and brain cells, and usually scorned anyone stupid enough to become so inebriated as to lose all sense of themselves. But then again, he usually wasn't in lust with the most infuriatingly dim-witted of men.
 
L sipped his sake casually, his legs pulled up tight against his chest, and observed the unusual spectacle before him.
 
Raito was wasted off his ass, an event that would surely never happen again if Raito could help it. L watched attentively, taking in every detail.
 
“Howmanoodreen?” Raito slurred.
 
L cocked his head to the side and took another sip of sake. “I apologize, but I didn't quite catch that,” he said coolly.
 
Raito swayed on the barstool. He was still sentient enough to realize how bad his speech was, and still proud enough to be quite disturbed by it. To avoid saying anything more and hearing that disgustingly drunken voice, Raito picked up his glass of sake and drank deeply.
 
As the rice wine stung his throat, he realized drinking more probably wasn't the smartest thing he had ever done. In fact, it was undoubtedly the dumbest.
 
L coughed lightly. “I think you should go home, Raito.”
 
Raito's already unsteady stomach lurched at the sound of his name off of L's dazzling lips.
 
“I…I…” Raito stuttered, trying to remember what he was going to say before L's mouth had caught his attention.
 
L's face softened sympathetically. Raito was more vulnerable than L had ever seen him. “I'll help you,” he said, slipping his feet off the stool and standing up. He reached out a hand to Raito, who stared at it blankly for several seconds.
 
Raito's blank gaze slid up the man's slender wrist to his finely formed collar bone, and then higher. It was like tunnel vision; all he could see were L's lips, moistened from sake. Closer and closer they loomed, and suddenly Raito was standing right in front of them. The temptation was far too strong for a smashed Raito to resist.
 
With an impassioned fervor, Raito pressed his lips against L's, savoring the taste of saliva and sake. Out of sheer surprise, L's mouth fell slightly open, but Raito took it as a signal and pushed in with is tongue. He ran it ruthlessly around L's mouth, smashing his lips against L's to gain more access. Before he could accomplish anything more, though, he felt a sharp push from both his front and his back, causing him to wince in pain.
 
L and the manager of the bar had simultaneously pushed him in different directions. Apparently he wasn't still proud enough to be disgusted by his drunkenness, seeing as he had just kissed his nemesis in a public bar. The manager, however, seemed quite sober enough to be disgusted at this behavior, and was now shouting quickly in Japanese. Taking the not-so-subtle hint, Raito lurched out of the bar, feeling decidedly sick.
 
Just as he crossed the threshold, an overwhelming sense of nausea hit him like a brick and he fainted unceremoniously on the spot.
 
----