Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ The Apple Of My Eye ❯ [Lawliet.] ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
“Calm down. You act as if your life hangs in the balance with the accuracy of the answer.”
 
“In a way,” Nomura replied, gazing up at Light,
“It does.”
 
“Your grades, maybe.”
 
“Exactly. My grades are my life. If I fail a single test, I have failed a purpose in which I was put on this planet.”
 
Light smirked as he observed Nomura begin to chew on her eraser.
 
“And I thought I was passionate about my grades,” He kidded.
“You're so melodramatic.”
 
“The SPK is my calling, Light. If I can't hack it, then-“
 
“Liiiight!” Sachiko called from downstairs.
“The food is almost ready, so come downstairs please and wash up! And will that friend of yours be staying for dinner as well?”
 
Light stood up from his computer chair, opening the door. Light automatically flooded to otherwise dim room. Sayu poked her head into the room.
 
“Jeeze, Light, how are two able to see a thing in here with it so dark?”
 
“The desk lamp is on,” He protested.
 
He made a shooing motion with his hand.
 
“I'll be down in a moment. And tell mom that Nomura will be joining us for dinner.”
 
Nomura shook her head, uncoiling from her distressed ball on the bed.
 
“No, I won't be. Sorry, but I've got to get home. I ate before I came here, and I've got to get some sleep anyway.”
 
“I'm sure my parents will let you stay the night here,” Light insisted.
“Besides, you came here five hours ago. All that stressing over your tests had to have made you hungry.”
 
She laughed, flashing him a perfectly composed smile.
 
“I will see you tomorrow at school. Oops- I mean, at To-Oh. I forgot we aren't high school kids anymore.”
 
“No. We're real men now.”
 
“Speak for yourself!” Nomura scoffed, standing up.
 
She flexed her joints a moment before heading out the door.
 
“Please, at least let me walk you home.”
 
Nomura's lips twitched as her hand hovered over the door handle of the front door.
 
“I'm not going home right away, Light. I have to stop at headquarters first.”
 
Light inhaled sharply. A faint movement, but not faint enough for her. Nomura rolled her eyes, brushing her bangs from her face.
 
“Please. You know I'm not interested in the Kira case. I don't mind a good riddle, but I'd like to keep my life in the process.”
 
Light nodded, extending his arm out for her.
 
“Well then, shall we?”
 
“You aren't going to eat?”
 
“It will be waiting when I get back.”
 
Nomura shrugged.
 
“If you insist… then let's go.”
 
----
 
“Nomura?”
 
She stopped walking, letting go of Light's arm.
 
“Hmm?”
 
“If you don't mind, I have a question for you.”
 
“Okay, let's hear it.”
 
“Why are you going to headquarters?”
 
She'd been expecting him to ask this. There was no easy way to weasel out of an explanation. Luckily, she'd been prepared.
 
“I have valuable information for Mr. Kitamura regarding the bank felon.”
 
“What is it?”
 
She'd been over every possible scenario that could happen between the two of them while they were alone. This was to be expected.
 
“It's supposed to be classified information, but-“
 
She hesitated, and then began walking again, Light by her side. She knew that if she remained silent, Light would suspect something. No way could she have that.
 
“They've gone over the surveillance tapes several times, and never thought they made sense. Mr. Kitamura knew this, but he couldn't put his thumb on it, so he asked me to look them over to see if I saw anything he might have missed. I did.”
 
“What did you see?”
 
“On the surface, the first tape appears that the suspect is holding up a bank in Osaka. After he robs the bank, he proceeds to murder every employee and witness in the bank. Another tape, recorded only a half hour later, displays the same culprit committing a series of homicides in a Tokyo airport before he eventually retreats, security backup arriving on the scene- much too late. As you know, that is physically impossible.”
 
“And, you saw something?”
 
“I did. After reviewing all the tapes, the man we've been looking for has a lightning-bolt shaped scar in between his index and thumb, so when he holds a gun, it's plain to see. The shooter in the bank, however, had no such scar.”
 
“I see. So there are two separate criminals, when you thought there was only one.”
 
“Yes.”
 
Nomura sighed again.
 
“Whether Mr. Kitamura will be pleased or exasperated, I don't know yet.”
 
“No wonder you're stressed, with all this on top of school.”
 
“So now you see my dilemma.”
 
His eyes grew alight.
 
“Just out of curiosity…” Light began casually.
“You wouldn't happen to know the names of those criminals, would you?”
 
Nomura bit her lip, hiding her face from her friend.
 
“…No. Regretfully, we're chasing a nameless culprit. Well, two nameless criminals, now.”
 
Light's eyes dimmed again.
 
“Pity.”
 
“…Yes. It is. Well…”
 
They stopped in front of the headquarters. Nomura turned to face Light, looking up at him.
 
“Same time tomorrow?” Light asked.
 
“No. I'm sorry, but I have to cancel our usual engagement tomorrow. I have more… work to do. The day after tomorrow, perhaps- ?”
 
“I understand. Do what you need to. I could use the time to catch up on my own chores anyway.”
 
She smiled softly.
 
“Goodnight, Light.”
 
“'Night, Nomura.”
 
As she passed through the double doors of the headquarters, a calm voice buzzed in her ear.
 
“Miss Mitarashi, Ryuzaki asked me to tell you that you are cutting business and pleasure too thin of a line,” He forwarded.
“He also asks you not return unless you have mint chocolate chip ice cream.”
 
She chuckled, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.
 
“Ask him please not to worry,” She responded.
“I knew he was running out of snacks, so I bought a few munchies before I left for the Yagami household. You'll find them not in his freezer, but on the second floor freezer. I'll bring them up for you.”
 
She paused, rounding the staircase, then asked,
“He is angry with me, isn't he, Watari?”
 
“I wouldn't say angry,” He assured her.
“You know it takes a lot to make Ryuzaki mad. Though he wouldn't admit it, he's worried about your well-being. He doesn't like to see you throw yourself into harm's way for noble's cause, which, you have a tendency to do. I think it would be more accurate to say that he is… irritated. He asks you to step on thin ice around Light Yagami, and you dance in circles around him.”
 
She smiled to herself as she opened the freezer.
 
“Lawliet worries about me…”
 
That bit of self-satisfaction planted firmly in her mind, she continued up the stairs towards the designated room. Upon opening the door, Ryuzaki gave her a warm greeting without ever looking up from the screen in front of him.
 
“Next time, Miss Mitarashi, please leave the food where we know where it is.”
 
“You're welcome, Ryuzaki,” She said, scooping out a bowl of ice cream for him.
 
“Here I was, starving, and there was food in this building all along.”
 
“What, you don't like a game of hide and seek?”
 
He stared at her from the corner of his eye. The room was oddly empty, with the exception of Soichiro Yagami, Light's father. He was always the last to leave.
 
“No, I don't,” Ryuzaki replied bluntly as Nomura smiled.
“Why do you look so chipper?”
 
His eyes returned to the screen, daring to say,
“Have a good time with your boyfriend, did you?”
 
Soichiro stiffened, before asking to be dismissed.
 
“You may,” Ryuzaki granted.
“However, if your son is to ask anything about Nomura being here, tell him you don't know. She never stepped into this section of the building.”
 
“You want me to lie to my son?” Soichiro asked, his tone a little moody.
 
“Not at all,” Ryuzaki replied.
“Because if you want to think in technical terms, a Nomura Akedo was never really here. We do, however, have a Sachiel Mitarashi with us.”
 
“Right… Of course…” He mumbled, before leaving.
 
“Would you like a slice of cheesecake, Ryuzaki, Miss Mitarashi?”
 
“Yes, please,” Sachiel replied.
 
“If you would,” Ryuzaki answered.
 
“You should get some sleep, Lawliet,” She murmured.
“You've been up nearly seventy-two hours now.”
 
“I'm fine,” He insisted.
 
His eyes were glued to the television, only removing them once to glance at his cheesecake. It was silent while they ate, Ryuzaki spending most of his time balancing small cherries with his fork.
 
“You're like a child, playing with your food like that.”
 
He looked down at his plate, then over at Sachiel, who caught his eyes immediately.
 
“And you are any better?”
 
She looked down at her plate, smirking. She'd hardly touched her dessert. Instead, she had started to sculpt what appeared to be a statue of a very poor David.
 
“Go to bed,” She laughed, raking off David's feet.
“I'll watch this for you.”
 
“There's nothing really to review,” He replied, finally stabbing the cherry and finishing it once and for all.
 
“Then why are you still up?”
 
“I am going to bed. Goodnight Ryuzaki, Sachiel,” Watari announced.
 
Ryuzaki continued to chew, ignoring both of them as Watari left.
 
“Lawliet, you-“
 
“I'm really beginning to regret telling you that,” He snapped suddenly.
“You can't just say that aloud whenever you please. You never have any idea who is listening, especially with a case like the one we have on our hands now.”
 
Sachiel bowed her head.
 
“I'm sorry… Ryuzaki…”
 
For nearly half an hour there was dead silence, until the clock in the far corner chimed.
 
“It's already one in the morning?” He mused aloud.
 
She knew that was more of a question to himself than to her, so she didn't say anything. Staring down at her ice cream that was now more of a milkshake, she finally downed it in a few seconds before wiping her mouth with the back of her sleeve. She quietly got up and reached for her jacket on the rack.
 
“Leaving already?” Ryuzaki inquired softly, his fingers groping for the remote.
“And what am I to do with your little Picasso here?”
 
“You can eat it, if you want,” She replied quietly, shutting the door amidst her words.
 
Ryuzaki stared at the door, switching the television off. He finally blinked, after what seemed like minutes.
 
 
Sachiel yawned as she sat down on the edge of her bed. Bathed and changed into her nightgown, she felt much better now, but some things even a good shower couldn't fix. She held on to her knees as she twisted her torso around, cracking her back. Naomi had once told that cracking her bones would give her arthritis…
 
But Naomi was gone.
 
She'd never know if she did get it now.
 
Sachiel brought her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms around them. Resting her cheek on her knee, she almost felt the urge to cry.
 
Almost.
 
The bed shifted as weight was added to the other side. Sachiel jumped, turning around so fast she almost gave herself whiplash. Ryuzaki sat cross legged across from her.
 
“What are you doing in here?” She demanded, ashamed of nearly being caught in a moment of weakness by the one she admired the most.
 
“I expected a smart aleck comment from you when I mentioned your `Picasso', “ He explained.
“Especially since that wasn't a Picasso. I'm not artistically inclined, however… That was a Michelangelo di Lodovico, was it not?”
 
Sachiel smiled.
 
“You can differentiate between one cheesecake blob and another? I'm impressed. You are so multitalented.”
 
The ghost of a smile crossed his lips.
 
“I couldn't help but notice how you came back in a pleasant mood, but left in a not so pleasant one. I assume the transition is my doing?”
 
Her smile faded from her face. Sachiel laid down on the bed, rolling over so her back was to him.
 
“I never should have given him that spare key… He always wants to talk at all the inconvenient times, never at a good time…”
 
His thumb subconsciously went up to his mouth, contorting his upper lip as he watched her. She could feel his eyes burning a hole in her shoulder, so she closed her eyes and began breathing more evenly. Hopefully, if she could trick even herself that she really was asleep, maybe he would buy it, and go leave her alone. Something of… double-thinking. One had to double-think in order to double-think, so he would fall for it, right?
 
But she had no such luck, and… she sneezed. Ryuzaki clicked his teeth together.
 
“It was the Lawliet incident, wasn't it?” He asked suddenly as if no time had passed at all.
 
She almost forgot why she was still pretending to fall asleep on him. Wow. The wonders of double-think.
 
“It doesn't matter, does it?” She answered softly once she realized he wasn't going away.
“You still have tapes to go over, don't you?”
 
“I realized that you might have had a point, Sachiel. I am a little drowsy.”
 
“Woman knows best.”
 
She rolled over again to face him, propping her head up on her hand.
 
“So, why don't you sleep at your house? Did you forget to pay the bill and all of your furniture got repossessed or something?”
 
“Not unless you know something I don't.”
 
“Okay… So… Still doesn't answer why you're here…”
 
He stared into her eyes for what seemed like an eternity. Sachiel radiated when she realized that she had been staring back just as long.
 
“I still have no theory…” He whispered suddenly.
 
“What?” Sachiel asked.
 
“As to why I felt it okay to reveal my true name to you. I've thought about it time and time again, but I never really reached a concrete conclusion.”
 
“It was because you said you trusted me, right…?”
 
“Yes, but that was just an excuse. The only ones who know my true name are Watari and, as of now, you. Not even the teams I've worked with have known.”
 
“Your point is…?”
 
“My point is that when I told you my name, I was acting solely on trust alone, because you seemed to be a very reliable asset.”
 
Sachiel waited patiently for him to continue.
 
“As you know, that is unlike me. As soon as I'd said it, I regretted telling you. That regret comes and fades at times, and, when faced with that regret, I question my motives behind that rash action. I can find nothing.”
 
Sachiel smiled.
 
“You know I'd never tell anyone. But you were right- I use it to carelessly. If Kira were ever to find out your name, then…”
 
Neither of them had to say what would happen. They both already knew.
 
“Which is why I don't like you getting friendly with Light Yagami,” He added.
“You may have my trust- which is a fragile thing, you know- but if he gains yours, and you slip, allowing him to know that you work under me and have my real name, and out of the seven percent chance that he really is Kira, then you know that you have just cost us both of our lives.”
 
“Yes… I understand this… but I don't get “friendly” with Light. I don't get “friendly” with anyone.”
 
“You can never be too sure.”
 
“Do you really regret telling me that your name was Lawliet?”
 
“I do.”
 
“And… so that was the reason you came here.”
 
“Hmm…”
 
Sachiel reached up for the headboard, the bones in her elbows popping in response. The word “arthritis” automatically wormed into her mind again. She curled into a ball as she slipped under the bed sheets. She had expected to feel the bed to shift with his weight as he stood up and left, his speech done, but he didn't.
 
“I'll fall asleep. He'll leave eventually- “
 
Sachiel felt Lawliet's fingers lightly brush the skin on her shoulder. She shuddered beneath his touch. The bed shifted ever so slightly as he moved closer to her. She could have sworn she felt her heart stop beating. Reaching across her waist, his hands began to trace hers, becoming familiar with every curve of every knuckle; every line on the palm of her hands. His touch was so gentle that he rose goose bumps on her arms. She had no idea how to react to him- For all she knew, that could be another of his indirect analyzations that he liked to do on others. As his hands moved across hers, this could be a test, and she could be failing.
 
“Yes… I understand this… but I don't get “friendly” with Light. I don't get “friendly” with anyone.”
 
It was a test she was sure of it! Positive that she was about to convince Lawliet that she was unworthy of his trust, she immediately tore her hands from his, flopping around to face him.
 
“You-!”
 
His hand fell limp across her waist, and his mouth was slightly agape. A vague sound came from his mouth, which could have been categorized as snoring. Lawliet was now fast asleep in her bed.
 
Seeing the awkwardness of her boss being out cold on her own bed, she pressed her hands to his chest and began shoving him across the mattress. Now that he was all the way over there… she had a sudden desire to be back in his arms. She scooted across the bed closer to him, but she was still not as close as she had been a moment ago. Rolling over once more, she pondered if he might have been pretending to be asleep. But if that was the case, then she had passed his little test. She hadn't stood for his freshness with her. Maybe, Lawliet just had a habit of groping the nearest object to him while he slept. Or, perhaps, he hadn't been asleep at first, and…
 
But somehow in her mind, as her eyelids became heavier, she knew she didn't feel the same way for him as she had felt earlier.