Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Attack of the Demon Dinosaur ❯ Attack of the Demon Dinosaur ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Attack of the Demon Dinosaur
Vergil and Dante were always at odds, no matter what the situation. Their little squabbles never ceased. Over things as little and petty as… whatever could be considered little and petty. And unfortunately, age wasn't much of a factor, except to change what their problems were about.
The twins, in this case, were only 7 years old, and, finding nothing better to do, were playing in a sandbox out in their yard. The brothers were each building their own sandcastle- Vergil's as neat as possible, while Dante's... does it really need mentioning?
Dante looked over at Vergil, pouting. “Hey, how come yours looks so much better than mine?”
Vergil scoffed. “Because I'm better than you at making sandcastles. Not that that's saying very much.” He looked at Dante's castle, then at his own. “It doesn't take rocket science to do this, but you've always lacked even basic intelligence.”
Dante's brows furrowed in frustration. “You take that back!”
”Why should I? It's true! Look—“ Vergil pointed to his castle, “I even built a moat around my castle, and yours...” he pointed to Dante's, “Yours looks like a giant mound of sand! It's exactly what you started with a good hour ago.”
Dante looked a little downcast at that remark, but then cheered right back up.
”It just takes some practice! Besides, it's the thought that counts, and I can do anything if I put my mind to it- right Barney?”
Of course, he was referring to a Barney plush toy that was lying on the sand next to him.
Vergil gave the toy a look of utter repulsion. “Ugh, I still can't believe you carry that toy around. You're too old for that. We're too old for it!”
Dante gasped, then asked, “Hey, what's wrong with having Barney around!?” He didn't understand why Vergil had something against an adorable giant purple dinosaur. The kids in the show didn't see anything wrong with it, but then again, Vergil always finds something wrong in everything. Dante's habits for one, and behavior for another.
Vergil sighed and went back to working on his makeshift moat, trying to perfect it. “Oh, nothing... just that he's not real, and the show is completely stupid-- you'd have to be brainwashed to like it, and the children in that show look like they're older than us. WAY older.”
Dante opens his mouth to say something, but then decided against it. Any arguing with Vergil would prove completely useless. He got up and brushed the sand off his pants. “You know what, I really gotta go use the bathroom.”
Vergil looked up. “Hm?”
”I'll be back later. And don't touch my castle!” With that, Dante ran off to the house.
Vergil just stared on, following his brother with his eyes, then shrugged his shoulders and went back to focusing on his little fortress. “Hm. Don't touch his sandcastle, he says. As if I want to anyway. What am I gonna do, feed his castle to mine? Hah!”
He paused, and looked around almost as if he were expecting someone to listen. His eyes went over the Barney plushie lying in the sand. At first he looked away, sneaking a few glances at it, then decided, `To Hell with it', and picked it up.
Thinking out loud, he mused, “Just what is Dante's fascination with this toy anyway? He probably doesn't want to throw it away, as old and worn as it is. He really needs to grow up. This toy is nothing but a nuisance….” He turned the worn toy around in his hands, adding, “…Maybe I should throw it away.”
He stopped, and mulled over that for a while. “That would be a pretty good idea... better to do it before he gets back. What to do when he does?” he looked up at the sky like the answer was going to drop from the clouds. “I'll just…” he trailed off, needing to go into further thought. “I'll just… tell him it got up and walked away! Ha, that's perfect!”
On the contrary, that was the worst plan he'd ever come up with, if he'd masterminded any plans beforehand. But then again, he was 7. Did he need to come up with any evil plots? That question doesn't need to be answered now, for Vergil was just about to carry out his dastardly plot of Dolly DOOM, when suddenly—
"I wouldn't do that if I were you!"
Vergil jumped a foot in the air. ”Waah!” he cried, dropping Barney. He took a few steps back, looking around warily. “What was that?” he looked to his left, then right, and, finding no one near him who could've said anything or attempted to scare him, he turned back to the toy. He turned his head away slightly, looking at the plushie from the corner of his eye. Was it….?
Vergil shook his head, as if clearing his mind of the idea. “It can't be. I must have been hearing things, there's no way this toy could talk. Plushies don't talk, that'd just be absurd.” He reached for Barney again, but then—
"Life is about love, friendship... and I WILL FEAST ON YOUR SOUL!! FEAR ME!!"
Vergil's eyes went from narrowed in determination to wide in shock and horror. “HOLY GOOD GOD!! THIS PLUSHIE SPEAKS OF LOVE AND WANTS TO EAT MY SOUL!!” he wailed. He stared in shock at the now-found-to-be-evil Barney plushie, too scared to even make an effort to run away.
He now knew fear in the form of purple cotton-stuffed evil, and whatever demon this was, it wasn't going to let him run away quite easily. He feared if he did so much as flinch, he might as well just have said goodbye to everything.
The silence— save for Vergil's gasps for air (he found it hard to breathe)— dragged out to near eternity, until the ever-so-carefree younger twin he called his brother showed up from what looked like nowhere. Arms up and hands behind his head, he just sauntered into the scene with a wide grin on his features.
With a devil-may-care attitude about him, he gave a sigh of relief. “Ahh, much better! Sorry I took so long, Verge! I thought I heard screaming, but— …..Vergil?” Dante walked circles around his brother, who was still frozen in shock. “Veeeergil?” He shook a hand in front of his brother's face. “You okay? You're not moving...”
Vergil replied, his voice is shaking, along with the rest of him now, “It's... It's evil...” then without warning, he suddenly fainted. Dante just stood there, dumbfounded. “What?” he looked at Vergil who was laying on the ground unconscious, then at his Barney toy. “What, is it Barney?” he looked at toy, which was lying harmlessly on the ground. He raised an eyebrow at it, half-expecting it to move and prove his unconscious brother right. It didn't budge. He looked back at Vergil and said matter-of-factly, “It can't be him, he's completely harmless!”

A/N: Cause we all know Barney's an evil sunuvabitch! Poor Vergil, though, being his first victim... he knew too much!