Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Attack of the Demon Dinosaur ❯ Second Attack of the Demon Dinosaur ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Second Appearance of the Demon Dinosaur
The twins sat on the rug in front of the television, bored out of their minds. Click, click… Click… click… Dante kept changing the channel every other second with the remote control.
“There's nothing good to watch,” he muttered. He kept pressing the Channel button, aimlessly searching for something to interest him.
“That's only because you never wait to see what's on.” Vergil crossed his arms. “Hey, wait— you just skipped over the History channel!”
“So? Why would I wanna know about history? I could've just asked Dad, he's been here long enough!” Now Dante was just pressing random numbers, hoping for some random show to come out of the blue and save him from boredom.
A vein started to throb on Vergil's temple. “Dante, if you're not going to stick with a channel, then give ME the remote! At least look at something for more than one second!”
Dante stuck his tongue out at Vergil. “Fine!” he stopped at channel 5. Conveniently for him, it was a short infomercial on some mountain bicycle. “See? Just a commercial!”
Vergil hissed, “Wait til the commercial ends, you—“ he stopped, about to call Dante some random expletive he'd learned from watching the `naughty channels', which were the channels Eva specifically forbade them from watching. Channels 25 and up, basically. Unfortunately for Dante, Comedy Central and the likes were also forbidden. But that's really not the point.
Dante sighed. “Okay, okay, I'll wait.”
They both stared at the screen, watching the infomercial play out. Vergil swore he could feel his IQ dropping from just sitting in front of the screen, but hey, he was learning about a mountain bicycle with over 15 gears that could switch itself for going up steep hills, to level ground! It was the friend of every bicycle rider imaginable!
Dante sat there gawking at the screen for ages before he piped up, “I'm thirsty. I need to go get something to drink.”
Vergil just nodded absentmindedly as Dante handed him the remote.
And he just sat there.
Staring.
At the television screen.
“ah, screw this!” Vergil pressed the Channel Down button all the way to 2. Hey, what was this? A little children's show? He tilted his head to the right, then left. Oh, no… the children were older than he was… which could only mean…
His jaw dropped when the demon made it's appearance, growing to more than twice its size. Those children were in danger, but they didn't know it! They were hopping up and down, and laughing and cheering, thinking their innocent little Barney toy was really teaching them something about the alphabet and manners and the like!
Dante was pouring some soda into a cup when he heard Vergil scream. He jumped a foot in the air, spilling soda right off the counter. He put the bottle of Coke aside and completely forgetting the drinks, he ran back into the living room to see what the fuss was about.
All he found was Vergil and the television. The children were laughing, “Ha ha ha ha!” and Vergil was just standing in front of the television screaming, “RUN!! GO!! Get out of there!!”
Dante just looked at him like he was crazy. “Verge, what's going on?”
Vergil spun around to look at him, and the look he gave disturbed Dante. It was almost as if his brother wasn't all there.
“Those imbeciles! They're in danger, don't they know? That thing will eat their souls! It's the most vile creature!” He yelled, his eyes watering.
“Ummm… Verge, Barney isn't real, you know? Just like you said?” Dante grabbed Vergil by the shoulders and looked him in the eyes. “He's not real. He's completely fake, remember?”
Vergil just stared blankly at him. The corners of his mouth turned upwards in a smile, and he grabbed Dante's shoulders just as he'd done, and whispered, “He's got you too.”
“Got me too? What? Verge, what's wrong with you!?”
“Don't you see!? The biggest trick the Devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist, and just like that he was gone!” He shook Dante back and forth like that was going to help get his point across.
“I really think you need help,” Dante managed to say.
Vergil let go of him and turned right back around to the television. “You don't believe me, no one does! Who else can help me?" he dug his fingers into his hair, he looked like he was just going to tear it out of his scalp. "You don't realize the danger you're in! You'll just be destroyed!!” he ran upstairs to his room, sobbing.
Dante just stood there, watching as his brother ran off to what he thought was safety. He scratched his head. What the hell?
Vergil slammed the door shut as soon as he made it to his room. The farther he got away from the television screen, and the sooner he did, the better. He dove under his bed, hoping the shadows would keep him safe.
Evil demon, trying to steal children's innocence in the guise of a harmless TV show! Of all the demons his father was said to have sealed in the Underworld, just how did he miss this one!?
No use thinking about it now… “He's not here anymore,” Vergil said to himself, “and… and… Mother won't believe me, and Dante already doesn't! It's hopeless…”
He heard a laugh, coming from… behind him! He quickly crawled his way until he turned fully around. Right there, under Dante's bed, there it was. Laughing, mocking him… The plushie lay there, staring at him with its cold and lifeless eyes…
“You're right, no one can save you now! Your soul is MINE!! Mwahahahahaha!!”
Vergil started shaking. No one… he was alone, and no one could save him…no one would save him… No! That's not what I should think! Vergil shut his eyes. “You're wrong, you're wrong!” he said aloud. “My soul isn't yours for the taking, and I'll stop you before you can hurt anyone else! I'll—“ he paused, trying to hold back tears. What was he going to do?
“Hehehehehe… you've got spirit. It'll make my victory that much sweeter when I consume your soul and make you my puppet!” Barney went into a bout of maniacal laughter, and whatever semblance of confidence Vergil had in him disappeared faster than… anything that can disappear fast.
Then it stopped, and Barney didn't say a word. Vergil heard the door creak open, and he turned back around to see a pair of feet standing in front of the bed.
“Vergil?” Dante got down on his knees and bowed his head to look under the bed. There his brother was, lying under it like any scared little child, with tears in his eyes that refused to come down.
“Dante…” he whispered.
“Verge? What happened?"
“The doll… it came alive again… it's coming for me, I know it is…”
“Still with that? The doll can't come to life, Verge! You told me that yourself!”
“Things change, Dante! The doll IS alive, can't you believe me!?”
Dante shook his head slowly. “C'mon, what's the chance some purple dino doll that teaches over-aged kids how to say their A-B-Cs can just show up out of the blue and eat souls?”
Vergil didn't say a word in response. What was he going to say to that? The most that could happen was that the conversation could continue going `It's alive!' `No it isn't!' `Yes it is!' `No it isn't!' and back and forth until someone gave up.
He just started laughing, then. An uncertain laugh, one to reassure himself he wasn't going crazy. Or maybe one to convince himself that maybe his brother was right, and he just had a random moment of insanity. It would come to pass soon.
“I think… I think you're right, Dante. I… uh… don't know what I was thinking…” Vergil crawled out from under the bed and got up. He shook himself off, plucking random dust bunnies from his shirt. Dante laughed, and fixed Vergil's hair up as best he could. “You look horrible, Verge.”
Vergil laughed with him. “Yeah, I know.”
“C'mon, let's go downstairs!” Dante ran out of the room and down the hall, leaving Vergil to himself.
The young half-demon turned around to look at the room. “I know I'm not crazy, I just know it.”

A/N: Aww, now I'm starting to feel sorry for Vergil. Thinking you're the only sane person on the planet must suck epically.