Digimon Fan Fiction / Ragnarok Fan Fiction ❯ Where Fate Turns ❯ Chapter 3: Watery Grave ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
****
Where Fate Turns
Chapter 3: Watery Grave
****

This is a Taichi/Yamato chapter, next chapter will be Takuya/Kouji. ^^ Still lots of plot development. To answer:

DarklightAngel: Midgard is actually based off Norse Mythology, like much of Ragnarok is based off of.
Lady Moon-Funny I did this chapter before remembering your words. I was meaning to try the other side beside Taichi's in the next chapters. @_@; My Takouji angst muse is taking a break until there's more Takouji angst on FF.N from other authors, I suppose.

Self-insertion? Slightly, although I changed the name and it's my RO character. She has her own personality, though... the one I use in the game =3

My favorite part about cRO is the systems... these guys are great exploiters of the RO world. Pictures of the Ledge are at http://takouji.fateback.com/Ragnarok/ROGallery.htm

****

~To control your instincts is to alter fate, thus the human success strategy~

****

" Taichi!"

The blonde Archer pushed him away from the danger, then managed to back off from the creature's attack. It looked up at him and snarled evily, swinging its scythe at him. Yamato backed off each time to dodge each blow, but he could only go so far...

The Acolytes did not hesitate to act; half of them started to work up a barrier for everyone and the other half gave power boosts to the two Archers. They had little ability to fight themselves, but they knew that those particular two Archers had the ability. Taichi scrambled to his feet and tried desperately to think of something...

He still had some of the fire arrows from fighting the Vagabond Wolf. Taichi loaded a couple and Double Strafed the monster. The scythe made such a quick movement, and the arrows laid harmless on the ground.

" Hmph," the creature snuffed, giving a skeptical look at the brunette.

Taking the distraction as an oppurtunity, Yamato aimed some arrows at the monster. He gasped when it turned to him again, and launched them at an impulse. Once again, the scythe swung, and the arrows rendered no damage.

' I need to move to a safer spot. I'm almost trapped,' he thought in a rush, noticing he was almost to the church doors. Luckily, he received an agility boost from one of the Acolytes just in time to dodge a scythe attack from above. The weapon stuck itself in the floor, cracking the cement. Yamato ran to Taichi's side.

Intense faces settled the area as the monster struggled to take out his scythe. " I can't believe he's here," Taichi said quietly in scared awe.

One of the Acolytes called out "Angelus!" and the rest followed his example, a visible barrier appearing on everyone except the monster.

" We have to shoot it now while it's vulnerable," Yamato said quickly, already aiming more arrows.

Another Double Strafe streamed toward the monster and made a direct hit. Taichi expected a smug look on Yamato's face, but it wasn't there. Instead, it remained fixed; not a trace of his guard was down. It was quite admirable, actually.

" Taichi, shoot at him and don't stop!"

Taichi looked at the monster and saw that the arrows that had hit it were gone and its scythe was ready again. Motivated by the approaching danger, Taichi loaded up his arrows and shot like no tomorrow. The scythe became a blur in front of the creature, shielding it from almost every arrow. Occasionally one would hit, then disappear, leaving the beast nearly unharmed.

The acolytes were all doing some type of prayer surrounding Taichi and Yamato. The arrows could only keep the monster back for so long... And all the acolytes could do was provide a barrier...

It was inevitable, the monster approached the barrier, still dodging off arrows, and managed to slice against it with the scythe. Some of the acolytes made small screams, and the barrier wavered. They would be dead meat at this rate...

All of a sudden, several arrows made their way into the monster, and it wailed echoes in the church room. Yamato quirked his eyes. " I didn't do that..."

From the other side of the room a bird swooped in and nabbed at the monster with its sharp beak, over and over again. The bird flew back up, made a turn around and came back down on the monster. A small cloud of mess covered them, and when it cleared up, all what was left was the scythe clattering on the floor. There was absolutely no trace of the monster.

" ...What was that...?" Taichi said, breaking the silence as the bird swiftly flew back to the church doors. From the shadows of the church doors stepped a female of which Taichi noticed one particular thing. No surprise. " You have a bunny band!"

The large white bunny ears dangled over her head, but she didn't mind it at all. She had long indigo hair tied in a loose ponytail, wore a rather limited amount of clothing, but it was suitable for her class. The bird landed on her shoulder, holding its wings out for balance as she walked farther into the room.

" Is everyone okay in here?" she said to the crowd.

Several of the Acolytes brought over the victim lying on the ground. " The head Priest sacrificed himself to help us..."

" Priest!" Taichi said, nearly squeaking. " Will he be okay?"

The Acolytes shook their heads. " I'm afraid not. He was a brave fellow."

Taichi sighed. " The poor man..."

****

The female was a Huntress, and clearly by her stance she was a purebred one, from the fondness she had of her massive falcon to her modesty. She had great power by herself, but found it more satisfactory to cooperate with others.

" So that was a Baphomet?" Taichi said, concerned. Even with his extent of item knowledge he knew who a Baphomet was. Who could not know the most infamous monster of all...

" Yeah right, that was just one of the juniors," the female huntress said. " The real one is unbelievably impossible."

Taichi blinked. 'Unbelievably impossible?'

The people who had gathered in the meeting room were at the scene, holding their own conversations on the point-turning events.

Conversation rushed here and there, the many Acolytes and other classmen deciding what to do. Some argued that whoever was causing such catastrophe would soon show himself. Some thought that there was nothing they could do but wait and watch. Finally, the head figure ended the conflict of the discussion. " These dungeons that are now occupied with monsters, the representatives from other towns will return to those towns. They will gather parties to explore the dungeons further, for some clue as to what is happening is surely in the heat of those places."

The meeting was dismissed right after the disclosing, and the other classmen departed. The female huntress said not an extra word and rushed off after the dismissal before anyone could ask for an identification. Yamato remained on the meeting room chair, contemplating.

" We represent Payon, right? Shouldn't we go back?" Taichi said to him.

Yamato crossed his arms and leaned back on his seat. " No, not yet. People are already exploring the dungeon there anyhow. We, on the other hand..." he tilted his head back and stared at the ceiling. " Are going to the ledge."

" The ledge...?"

" In Bibilan. The only challenge is getting there. After that it's party galore, unless you want to become a tanker. But even that is fun."

He and Taichi got up from their seats and left the building. The hustle and bustle was in a different mood...

Clusters of fighters gathered here and there, weapon and armor antiques appeared from Merchant bags. Without being asked, Taichi followed Yamato's quick path. It had become some sort of automacy for him. Yamato entered a building with a sign saying " Kapra headquarters." Taichi had seen a similar place in Payon and remembered his mother had given him their access code.

As he entered, he spotted Yamato taking something out of the storage access machine. " Taichi, give me your Composite bow. I'll give you something better."

Taichi did as he was told, curious to what Yamato had. The blonde put the old looking Composite Bow into the storage machine, then took out a sharp-looking black one.

" This here is my old Crossbow. It shoots lightning fast and accurate, naturally."

" Thank you," Taichi said, not knowing what else to do to show his gratitude. He wondered if Yamato's material generosity was purely out of the fact that Yamato had an apprentice now, or... He peered at the blonde, who gave him a half-smile.

He didn't have time to dwell on it, however, as Yamato was exiting the headquarters in a flash. Taichi picked up his feet to catch up to him. They entered a section of town where many Acolytes were scattered, sitting on the pavement with some kind of signs next to them.

" What's with the signs?" Taichi asked, reading town names on them.

" We're at the well-known Aco wall, the southwest corner of Prontera," Yamato informed, " People can buy a warp to almost anywhere in Midgard here. We don't need one, but just slightly below there is a woman who sells china dishes. The benches outside her station are a popular place for people to gather. But there's something else I need..."

All of a sudden, Yamato put two fingers in between his lips and gave a loud whistle. The noise was ignored by most of the townsfolk since they were used to the sound of portals opening. A shrill shriek followed, coming from high in the sky. Taichi looked up, using his hand to shade the sunlight.

A small bird swooped down through the crowd, landing neatly on Yamato's shoulder. Taichi's jaw dropped.

" Only hunters are supposed to have..."

" I'm a natural Hunter, but technically I belong to the Archer class at the moment," Yamato explained. " This bird was born the same day I was, and is bonded to me. It will not be harmed when I am, but when I die... it will follow."

The bird started preening itself, seemingly ignoring Taichi's intent stare. " Does it have a name? It's rather small," he asked, remembering the female Hunter's bird. Her bird stood up almost to her shoulders. Yamato's barely went up to his knees.

" His name is Hawkes. Those kind of falcons don't reach their growth maturaity for a long time. That female Hunter probably bought hers from the Hunter's guild."

Yamato continued on the south path to head outside Prontera. " Come on, Taichi. We can catch a trip to Bibilan Island in Izlude. My Angelband is feeling its call already."

****

Taichi was already familiarizing with Izlude, and found following Yamato to the seaport to be a breeze. Izlude looked miniscule compared to Prontera, and less crowded as well.

" 300 zeny for two to Bibilan Island," the ticket-selling sailor declared, leading the boys to the ship's deck.

It was a matter of minutes to reach Bibilan. As the pair got off the ship, they were surprised to see the female from the church...

" Hey, it's you two again. What are you here for?" she asked.

" We're heading to the ledge to train my apprentice," Yamato replied, indicating the brunette. Taichi quirked his eyebrow. Somehow Yamato calling him apprentice seemed awkward. He found it disappointing that he was nothing more...

" Do you guys need an escort? It's tough to walk there without using fly wings, especially for first classes."

She was sitting on the lush green grass that covered the island, among several other people she apparently did not know. In fact, there was no indication that she was associated with anyone else around the area. ' She and Yamato have a lot of similarities...' Taichi mused.

As they walked toward the center of the island together, the female completely ignored the strange look her falcon was giving the smaller one. " I've seen you around before. Are you Yamato?"

Yamato's eyes widened. " How do you..."

" I must have come across you hunting Caramel at Mt. Mjolnir."

" So how do you know my name?" Yamato said suspiciously.

" I don't know. It's a skill, I guess," she said, shrugging off any further comment and hopping gaily down the steps leading to the dungeon. Taichi and Yamato exchanged bewildered looks.

" What's your name, then?" Taichi popped the question spur of the moment.

" Sakura. Shall we go in?" Without waiting for an answer, she wandered past the pillars holding up the dark entrance.

Yamato and Taichi followed her inside. Immediately, Taichi was spellbound by the dazzling crystalline colors reflecting off the puddles of water. A Vadon crab scuttled by them, and several Kukre (crayfish looters that Yamato despised) were huddled around a pile of Garlets. The shine of the purple crystalization of the Garlets attracted Taichi's eye, but Yamato tugged on his shoulder; Sakura was walking ahead at a fast pace. Taichi shook up his willpower and tagged behind Yamato.

They crawled through path after path of water and damp land, and everything seemed empty for a while. " Is there anything down here?"

" Don't let your guard down, Taichi," Yamato said, " Hydra will show up as we go deeper."

" Hydra?"

And just like some kind of cliché, he felt something wrap around his legs, and he almost fell over. He peered down and instantly saw the tentacles holding him down. It wasn't hurting him too much (besides the circulation being cut off from his legs), so he looked around from where the tentacles were coming from. Sure enough, there was what appeared to be a Hydra, a faceless rectangular monster, about 10 feet away from him. Still keeping his balance, he took some arrows from his pack, fit it onto the cross bow and shot it three times before it fell over. The tentacles taking Taichi hostage drew back into the ground, disappearing.

From a distance, he saw Yamato smiling at him. " Get the tentacles before it respawns, I've brought along a loot bag for anything we get."

Taichi did as he was told, then hurried to catch up with Yamato, who was trying to catch up with Sakura.

She cleared the pathway of Hydra with two quick hits, and soon they reached a set of stairs leading down. " There's more Hydra on the next level, so stay close to me," Yamato said, reddening slightly. Taichi just nodded, ignoring the hint and closing some space between them.

Sakura continued to annihilate Hydra all along the second level, and walked past the Marina jellyfish and Thara Frogs. The Huntress made the area a breeze to walk through. They arrived at the next set of stairs in about a minute.

" All right, guys, things get tough after this point. Watch out for Obeaune mermaids, and the level after this will be chaotic. Whatever you do on that level, keep running. I'll only talk to tell you where to go if I ever do. It's important that you keep moving until you reach the ledge. If you have monsters tailing you when you're near the ledge, let the other ledgers kill them before joining them. They're pretty good at paying back the people who bring monsters onto the ledge purposely."

Bow in hand and arrows in the other, she trotted down the stairs and waited for the boys. And lo and behold, an Obeaune could be seen in the distance, but the mermaid had not seen them yet.

" Ambush it," Sakura said softly, " I dislike those things with a passion."

She had a good reason to. They had shot it about 15 times in total and it still managed to land a hit on Sakura with its deadly hairs. The mermaid was silent as another slew of arrows finished it.

" Damn, those things take a lot of arrows," Taichi commented as Sakura took the mermaid's heart to add to the loot bag.

" Marcs and Swordfish take even more, and they're all over the next level. Let's go," Sakura said, immediately continuing her path.

****

" Here it is. After this point, just RUN. Into the water, go."

Taichi gawked at the portal. " Inside the water?"

" Yeah, you can breathe in it. Here I go!" Sakura jumped inside. There was a splash indicating she went through, but she was nowhere to be seen inside the water. Yamato followed, leaving Taichi to worry by himself. From the distance he could see another Obeaune, setting him off to jump in.

He expected to hear the splash, but it didn't happen. Instead, it felt like going through a trap door. He didn't even feel the sensation of the water as there was none. Water bubbled surrounded him, but he could breathe easily. Some flopping fish were around, blue colored and wide-eyed. He looked ahead, finding Yamato almost out of sight. He picked up his feet to catch up.

He had just come into equal step with the other archer when something approached them, ominous and quick. " Run!" Yamato shouted, " Marc!"

Taichi went into a sprint with the other, and looked back at what was following them. Two dangerous eyes bore into them from what seemed to be a giant seahorse.

" We're almost on the ledge. You hop on, I'll tank this beast," Yamato ordered.

Taichi had imagined what the ledge would look like, but had no idea that it was actually a huge wall broken off from an ancient ruin, buried into the ground on an elevation so that there was a single entry way to it. There were about five other Mages on it, randomly casting thunder spells on monsters below the ledge. Taichi went up to them, and none of them noticed with their concentration on their spells.

He glanced around him and found Yamato running in a large circle, and now there were two Marcs after him. Taichi took his new Crossbow and attacked like no tomorrow. And to his amazement, he didn't miss his target... ever. The Mages helped Yamato, zapping the Marcs mercilessly. The Marcs could take dozens of hits before falling, but with the ledgers, time was not so important.

Once the Marcs had fallen, Yamato arrived on the ledge next to Taichi panting. " Tanking is tiring," he said, checking to see if his falcon was all right. He wondered why he bothered to check; Hawkes always kept clear overhead of danger. " Where's Sakura?"

The brunette blinked, and as he turned his head his Kittyband seemed to perk up in searching. " I don't know."

And as if on cue, a large falcon swooped in the ledge-killing area, followed by the female huntress. She had several Marcs and Obeaune on her tail...

" Weeee!" she called out, almost laughing as the Mages set out to rescue her. Taichi launched his arrows again, and the people around him just smiled.

****

A day of constant arrow shooting was exhausting, and Taichi probably shot more arrows that day than he had in all his years of being an archer. Merchants who risked their lives to reach the ledge made huge profits selling necessities such as arrows and healing potions. Of course, the items were a bit overpriced, but convenient for people who feared going off the ledge.

Most of the Mages located on the ledge stayed there all day as well, eating and talking when they rested. They quickly grew familiar with the three bow wielders. They were quite glad for Yamato and Sakura, who ran around gathering monsters for the ledgers. Taichi found that with every arrow he loaded, the easier bow-handling became. He easily familiarated with the Crossbow, and even felt gleeful at the power of his Double Strafe.

Yamato appeared at the corner of his eye, a squid like creature called Mars and a Phen fish on his trail. He aggravated them on purpose so he could bring them to the ledgers. Although in his mind he wanted only Taichi to hit the monsters, he didn't want to risk opposing the other ledgers. It was much safer to be at peace with them...

While Taichi shot the squid, Yamato failed to notice Sakura also approaching, two Marcs following. His eyes widened, the blue sparks camouflaging the scenary, and he ran faster as four monsters chased after them. There were only two mages and Taichi active on the ledge, and the monsters were taking little damage. Suddenly, Sakura stopped in her tracks and Double Strafed a Marc, luring it to herself. However, the other three monsters kept aiming for the blonde.

" Shit," Taichi muttered, preparing Double Strafes to get the mess over with faster.

In a few moments, the Mars squid was down, followed by the Phen. However, the Marc was being quite violent... " Ah!" The Marc knocked Yamato over, causing the blonde to resort to rolling on the ground to dodge its sharp scales.

An arrow suddenly lodged itself into the Marc (they usually bounced off its tough scales), giving enough time for Yamato to scramble to his knees. He took out an arrow with lightning speed and jabbed it into the giant seahorse's eye. It was disgusting, yes, but years of experience taught him that it was the most efficient weak spot to hit. He had had to use this up close arrow-to-eye method several times, but it had saved saved his life that many times as well.

He got up and backed off just in time for one of the Mage's Thunderbolt attacks to finish it off. Panting, he struggled to walk up the hill leading back to the ledge. He joined Taichi's side, and watched as Sakura finished off her Marc with a snare trap. That was her skill as a Hunter, to be able to master traps, but Yamato found it interesting that she didn't use them more often.

But no matter to that now... Yamato was exhausted, and so was Taichi. Sakura noticed it as she looked up at the two yawning in sync on the ledge, smiling knowingly. " Hey, guys," she called, " Take a nap. The other Mages can take over while you're out, right?"

A couple of them gave her a silent thumbs up and wink, and she set out to herd more monsters in.

Yamato and Taichi sat at the end of the ledge where they could be protected easily. Yamato took off his gloves again, then looked at Taichi.

" Do you ever take your gloves off?" Yamato asked.

Taichi took a big breath, showing his fatigue. " Not really."

" You should," Yamato said, " The skin in there needs to breathe once in a while. It's better for arrow handling."

Taichi just sat there dumbly, causing Yamato to smile pathetically. It seemed he could fall asleep at any sudden moment. " Come on, Taichi. I'll do it for you, newbie."

" I'm not a newbie," he pouted, too tired to really argue it. Even so, he let Yamato take his gloves off for him.

As the blonde's hand wandered onto Taichi's, he hesitated. The two looked at each other in wonder. Somehow, subconsciously, they decided not to say anything and simply lean on each other as they relaxed into slumber...

****

Yamato awoke before Taichi, realizing his angelband was twitching again. Behind he could feel Taichi's smooth breathing as he slept, crossbow in his lap. Yamato glanced back, noting that Taichi looked rather cute...

Zapping in the distance brought him out of his thoughts, and Yamato went to inspect what was happening. Sakura was sitting between the Mages, looking quite tired.

" Hey, Yamato, you're awake," she said, giving a small wave. " There's a little party gang hanging out here so I didn't want to butt in with my herding... and I need rest. Haha."

" A party?"

" Yes, there're a couple Knights and an Assassin. Personally, I think it's a horrible combo, since an Assassin will need a Priest with them in places like this..."

' Priest...' Yamato repeated in thought. ' Even if Taichi's mother is revived, Taichi has already become involved...'

He looked behind him, checking to see if his apprentice was still okay. However, at that moment, he didn't seem like simply an apprentice. His appearance held the same value as Yamato's, as an equal. Yamato was unused to being around someone who was so similar, yet so different. A fellow archer, with a sense of adventure and courage... his thoughts were interrupted when an Assassin made his way right on the ledge... with three Marcs following him. Yeah... that was strange and funny... until the Assassin went into hiding.

Sakura instantly sat up and shouted " What the hell are you doing?!?" In a quick movement, she brought three devices from her supply bag and set them on the ground. The devices snapped up on the Marcs, holding them in place. Sakura's falcon let out a cry of attack and fiercely jabbed at the monsters. Sakura and the mages frantically attacked the Marcs. Taichi lifted his eyelids from the noise, taking a deep inhale as he saw the scene. Yamato caught him by the waist and brought him behind.

Taichi had a look of shock, whether it was from the Marcs or how protective Yamato was being, Yamato couldn't tell...

Two Marcs were killed off before the third set itself free from Sakura's trap. The Marc shoved past the Mages and the female Hunter...

" Yamato!"

Both Taichi and Yamato shot it like crazy, trying to hold it back. " Taichi, stay back! You're too weak to stand up to it."

Taichi set his bow down and groaned, completely dumping the situation. " What?!? I'm just trying to help-"

At that moment, Taichi sensed something... a flash of dark purple, a masked face...

The Marc finished, Yamato turned around and puffed, annoyed. " Taichi..." his eyes bugged out as he saw the brunette crouching down in pain.

" Shit," Sakura cursed, sitting immediately down, her energy worn out. " That Assassin purposely tried to kill us... Why..."

Yamato ran up to Taichi and inspected him. It wasn't hard to recognize... " He's been poisoned. Damn, I wish I had a green herb..."

" Send your falcon out to find one," Sakura suggested. Her calmness indicated she had dealt with the situation before. " Here, I'll send Birdie to show it where to find the green plants."

" Birdie? What a strange name..."

Yamato jerked his head to the source of the voice. " Taichi, save your energy..."

Sakura's falcon took one large flap and cry. Yamato gave Hawkes a nod, and they flew off in the strange waterland.

Taichi cringed, lying down on his side. He yelled out as the poison seeped into him further. Yamato kneeled down and felt his forehead. " Fever..." Taichi seemed to stop suffering all of a sudden, but was exhausted instead.

Yamato felt guilt welling inside him as he didn't think there was anything else he could do for him, even though it was his fault. ' I stopped watching over him...'

Spur of the moment, Taichi's hand moved onto Yamato's knee. He looked up at the blonde, and said in a somewhat hoarse voice. " Will you hold me, Yama?"

Yamato gaped for a glimpsing second. Did he really say that? Is that what he wanted? ' I guess it's the most I can do right now...' He lifted Taichi's arms to bring him closer. Like a small child holding onto a teddy bear, Taichi wrapped his arms around Yamato and shook in pain.

" I'm sorry, Taichi," Yamato said, sincerely as possible. ' Why is it that Taichi is the only one who I've been honest to...'

" It's not your fault, Yama... it would've happened anyway... that's fate."

" Fate..." that word made Yamato almost queasy for whatever reason he did not know. He continued to hold the brunette, surprising himself as he found out he enjoyed the feeling of Taichi in his arms.

' This is not a time for feelings...'

Several minutes later, the falcons returned; Hawkes had a small green object in his talons. Taichi consumed the herbs like dried seaweed, then fell asleep in Yamato's lap.

But before falling asleep, everyone knew he would be all right. The Assassin had failed his mission, no one had died. And through this Taichi gave Yamato a smile, showing his happiness for his surroundings, before going into slumber. That smile sent a shiver that Yamato could recognize only as... love. And as Yamato took hold of Taichi's ungloved hand in his own, he wondered...

****

Please review? ^^

Splash
http://gottaito.cjb.net