Digimon Fan Fiction / Ragnarok Fan Fiction ❯ Where Fate Turns ❯ Chapter 10: One Step Closer ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
****
Where Fate Turns
Chapter 10: One Step Closer
****

Dragi: Poor fuzzy Kouji memories.. hehehe!

darcy3352000 owiee! x.o; Yes, Taichi is simply cute in Poring hat! Deshou, deshou? =D

KawaiiKaren Damn, I should have known that! =X Well, the all-knowing sisters don't know everything now, ne? OMG, T^T... that's such a cute emo! I'm going to have to steal it sometime.. my emo trend tends to change over time. Hope you found another Panda hat! I know what you mean about the help thing... I pretty much accept help if I feel that both parties have the time to waste for it, and the only person I've ever actually bugged for help was my boyfriend, but then... we share everything, anyway. xD)

Crystal Ketchum Darklight: Takouji~ *_*; I hope this is soon for you, I've been a little better with writing more lately. ^^;

Rave~n: XD. Funny, cuz the first equipment I failed and lost when losing equipment was implemented was... an evil band, too. And on the server I used to play on, they were in freaking huge demand because it was an ingredient for a custom headgear. I'm really tempted to put the custom headgear's into this fic, but... eh... wings might be too stereotypical in the gallery pics. I draw wings too often as it is. ^^;

****

~Humans are inconsistent... so inconsistent, that even their inconsistencies are inconsistent...~

****

Takuya readjusted his goggles, referring to the mirror and noticing the changes on his face. He felt freer, more mobile, more kinetic. He twirled his Fire Damascus and regular Damascus in his hands, having no difficulties handling both in sync.

Running a hand across his chest, he admired the unique bandages covering him and the scarf on his neck. He was an Assassin...

After arriving in Comodo, his party had several close calls in the nearby dungeons where they cram-trained. Business was already blooming in the sandy, tropical area. People were hosting casinos, restaurants, luxury resorts... it was obviously a place for vacation. Every time they went into town, there would be rich folks sharing glass drinks at the palm trees tables, gamblers attempting to gain some rare cards, people splashing around in the pools...

He wasn't able to sympathize with their joy without Kouji...

Now that he had achieved one step, the next was to get Moonlight. He needed a warp to Payon, which his party members gladly helped him find. The Acolyte whom they asked a warp from joined their party thereafter, making them grateful to hit two birds with one stone.

With the cards he had won at the casino, he had never felt so powerful in his life...

Payon seemed the same as ever. The Falconry Festival decorations were gone, but there were still Hunters all over the town. In front of the dungeon, Takuya spotted a familiar Knight near the fence border...

" Sefirot..."

Of course, the man didn't recognize him. Even his party members hardly recognized him with his new look.

" What are you looking at?" the Knight said semi-rudely. " Trying to pick a fight, 'sin?"

Takuya contemplated for a moment. He hadn't fought anything particularly challenging as an Assassin yet. Sure, Hodes would go down with several whacks of his Fire Damascus, but he hadn't fought a human yet. " Let's go."

The Knight's full lips were rather spooky when he smirked.

" Just a small spar."

He stood up, and suddenly he seemed so much taller with his PecoPeco and spear. Aside from his face, Takuya wasn't sure what to hit among all the armor plates on him. People cleared way for them the instant Sefirot raised his spear.

A green light enveloped his weapon before he lashed out on Takuya-

The brunette easily dodged.

Confidence up, Takuya went forward with two Damascus and dug them into Sefirot's armor. They didn't even make a dent, much to his dismay. Hm... that would be a problem.

Sefirot attempted to attack Takuya again, but his weapon was much too slow for his Assassin skills. Takuya didn't even have to TRY to dodge, which gave him decent time to come up with a strategy... He frowned. He should have thought of something before giving the challenge, but he was too enrapt with the thought of getting back Kouji...

" Get a move on, foul beast," Sefirot growled, kicking his heavy boots upon his PecoPeco's gut. The giant bird screeched and launched itself towards Takuya.

Takuya saw the pain on the PecoPeco's muzzled face, which only fed his anger. How could people be so rude to others? Even Takuya respected the PecoPeco way of living with his experiences with them. Dodging several more spear stabs, Takuya kept searching for a weakness... although Sefirot would never be able to hit him, he needed a way to hit back.

" Mundane creature! Do my bidding!" Sefirot barked, kicking the bird again. He was blaming the bird for his faltering.

' How improper... how...'

" Worthless bird!"

Before he was aware of it, Takuya launched forward in the blink of an eye. He had this feeling before... in Payon cave, in fighting Tsunade... by the time he could control himself, he had slashed through the reins constraining the PecoPeco. The PecoPeco reared in fright, and since Sefirot had nothing to hang onto anymore, he flew backwards, crashing the fence and landing in the muggy grass.

The Blacksmith from Sefirot's party snickered clumsily.

" Be silent, Arbor," the Knight muttered, removing a grass blade from his precious hair (his helm had fallen off). " You're pretty good, Assassin."

" Thanks," Takuya replied half-heartedly. " I'll be going then."

Without another word, he ventured past the PecoPeco (who was standing there rather dumbily) into Payon Dungeon.

****

" I feel worthless. We failed Moonlight... she got the job done herself."

Kouji huffed next to the other dark-haired one. " So it is. We are of no more use to her."

" No, that's not so," Kouichi returned.

Again they were within Moonlight's lair, more specifically a certain area where not even the monsters dwelling in the dungeon thought of venturing near. They sat across from each other; Kouji with his arms crossed and Kouichi kneeling on one knee. One was considerably more distraught than the other...

" It was my responsibility," Kouichi said after a pause, " ...to aid you in battle. But I was unable to."

The way he had said it... Kouji noticed. The Priest was trying to conceal his feelings, feelings that should not be brought up as a servant to an MVP. Still, he wanted to provide comfort, even if it was discreet.

" Moonlight may seek more power," Kouji added. He nodded. He lived to follow his master. He had no other worries... as if. Kouichi's behavior worried him. Furthermore, that boy they had interrogated... Even if it was only an accident, how come it provoked so much? Kouichi had a reaction to it, and himself...

He had a feeling that he knew something, but he wasn't aware of it. He had never remembered feeling this way before, but now he was curious about it. He would have to meet the boy again to confirm his questions. But how would he get such an opportunity? Only his master's orders were to be delivered, not his own. Before, his only desires were advantageous to Moonlight anyway. Searching for the boy was pointless now that the Yagami boy was in custody. To ask such a burdening request... It was too selfish of him. Moonlight would have his head...

Kouichi had sensed that something was troubling his comrade as well, but he was positive it was more than his inadvertence in battle. Perhaps... that boy was on Kouji's mind. Why did the thought of that boy connecting with Kouji hurt him so much? He didn't desire this pain, and even when he tried to get rid of it, it would only come back later to haunt him at an even greater elevation. Such trifling personal concerns were of no efficient use in missions. He had to voice it to get rid of it.

" Kouji..."

" Kouichi..."

They glanced at each other in surprise. Had the situation been less formal, they would have laughed. However, they were too troubled to think otherwise. They had to get things out of their system.

Despite being Moonlight's servants, they were still human. They were hesitant to continue now that they knew the other had something to say. By some strange impulse, they spoke at the same time.

" About that boy..." they said in unison.

Another shock fell upon them. They stared dumbly at each other, when Moonlight appeared them. She could see she had interrupted something, but she didn't concern with it. ' Humans will be humans.'

" I was considering ending your lives because of your lack of productivity... but a new opportunity has presented itself to me. I went through the Yagami boy's memories... and I found the other three involved in Ragnarok. All three..."

A surging wave passed by the cave as Moonlight transmitted the memories to her two servants. One had raspberry, spiked hair. Another had light, tan hair. And the last...

" We know the third one, Moonlight," Kouji confirmed, " Permission to target that one first."

" Permission granted," Moonlight replied with a hint of glee. " Feel free to have fun with this one. As long as I have one of them, my situation is settled."

" As you wish," Kouji and Kouichi replied.

****

If Takuya's eyes didn't stab daggers, his hands did. Zombies, Eggryas, Magnolias, Munaks... none of them could even touch him. The 1st classmen were intimidated by his mere appearance; the bandages surrounding him gave him an aura of authority and high experience. He pulled up his mask to cover the lower half of his face. He needed no words to show his feelings here.

He was here to kill.

A small group of Sohee passed by him. They floated around freely, their long dark hair flowing with no particular care for gravity. Despite their ghostly appearance, they were beautiful women, their kimonos embracing their grace.

Takuya witnessed a nearby Blacksmith attack one of the Sohee. From inside the kimono sleeves, the Sohee pulled out a dagger and sliced at the Blacksmith. It ripped a large gash across his sleeve, further revealing the sculpted muscles underneath. The Blacksmith backed off to hold his arm, then cried out " Power Thrust! Adrenaline Rush! Power Maximize!" in one huge slur.

Despite carrying a gigantic hammer, the Blacksmith suddenly gave the Sohee several huge slams, bringing the creature down. Smiling, the Blacksmith reached down and snapped off some of her hair, chucking it into his cart for later use. Singing a tune, he continued his way to another Sohee.

Takuya had a specific method of testing his powers. With his trustworthy Damascus in his left and an elemental in his dominant right, he killed four Sohee, using a different element for each monster. The wind Damascus worked best... Sohee were water-based, it seemed.

Satisfied, Takuya moved further into the cave, deeper than he had ever gone before. What element was Moonlight? The only rationale he could think of was that the beast had some kind of Lunar power... Meh... he liked his Fire Damascus. He'd use that.

He scanned his current position and was disappointed at the lack of his target.

" Come out, come out, little prissy... Come out, Kouji..."

****

Moonlight gave a look of dismay as she stood in front of the Yagami boy. He wouldn't tell her anything willingly, even if she threatened human lives. Moonlight was shocked to see this human so uncaring for others, so nonchalant to the thought of death. However, she wanted to get the information from Taichi any way possible, but she didn't want to go through the trouble of carrying out her bluffs.

' This human has lost his passion completely,' she mused, ' Something must have happened...'

She frowned even more. Her servants must have had something happen to them, too. ' These foolish, emotional humans... As long as they do what I want, I don't care...'

Something perked inside her. " Visitors."

She allowed herself to stare off in the distance, taking her eyes off her captured prisoner. She took her eyes off the dozens of Hydra and Mandragora plants surrounding him, their tentacles/vines suspending him in midair. The boy couldn't escape even if he wanted to... the tentacles and vines were all over his outstretched arms, his legs, his waist...

The Yagami boy had lost all hope.

It must have been Moonlight's imagination... but... No, she wasn't guilty. This was for her survival. Humans didn't matter.

" I'm going to tend to the new arrivals," she told the boy, " Bothersome..."

The boy didn't respond, but he closed his eyes in continued defeat. Such pain... Moonlight couldn't help but wonder what was running through his mind before she focused on the guests waiting outside her lair.

****

" Moonlight? Where are you? Show yourself!"

He displayed common traits of a haughty boy, his shoulders slacking back and feet treading swiftly. All the tension that had been building up within himself -ever since he had found out about Kouji's whereabouts- was tumbling out of his system. He hadn't had much space for release in his venture to Comodo; his party's presence held him back. He didn't want to overdo anything back then.

Now he wanted nothing but to overdo his upcoming murder.

He had to believe this. He had to keep his focus... his intent on killing. Any weakness would prevent him from saving Kouji. A solid shell... that's what he was.

Sounds of battle filled his ears, which was unusual in the barren area he was in. Strange purple balls of fire known as Horong followed him. He tried attacking some of them with his water Damascus, but it took too long to extinguish a single one, and more kept ganging up on him as he idled. It hurt when they flickered, too... He just meandered past them. They were small fries compared to what he was looking for. Eventually, he lose them at a distance to make sure they didn't continue to follow him when he found Moonlight.

Speaking of which, there was another strange light up ahead... it wasn't a hypnotic purple light, but bright, and... yellow...

Takuya smiled under his mask. Now was the time.

Quickly, he hugged close to the dark wall and cloaked himself. He blended right into the dark, rusty colors of the cave. Damn, he loved doing this... With this, he could observe Moonlight's movements and evaluate his attack plan. His chances of success would be massively greater if he caught her off guard. Good chances, good chances.

Now he knew the battle sounds were coming from this area, as he noticed another male Assassin in the vicinity, dressed in bright red. It was red so bright that it was easily mistakable for pink...

" Such beauty will be a great treasure for my battle collection," the Assassin announced, " You're mine."

Moonlight simply smiled to herself, not bothering to make a move.

" Do you surrender yourself to Rhodo yet?" he continued when he realized he would be getting no response.

" No, I'm just amused by your schematic pink."

Opposite to what she expected, the Rhodo Assassin lifted his eyebrows in delight. " Doesn't it captivate my beauty?"

Moonlight snapped her fingers and a pack of Nine Tails immediately surrounded her. " Sorry, but I don't share that kind of interest... off with you."

The yapping quadrupeds set their path towards Rhodo, who grimaced and ran off. " Hey, no fair mobbing me like that!"

Takuya took this distraction to shuffle closer to Moonlight's back. Just one critical slash should do it...

The pink Assassin was soon out of sight, leaving Moonlight to croon over her pawed palm. " You can come out now."

Takuya tensed. Had she spotted him? But he was still so far back, and even cloaked... Adrenaline rushed through him. If he was going to attack, he would have to do it now. But before he could hear the click of his daggers, he heard the slash of something whizzing by... an arrow?

Another person stepped out into Moonlight's view. Takuya recognized him immediately as the Archer he had met in the same cave...

" Are you looking to make me into a pet treasure as well?" Moonlight mocked.

With no response, the Archer just loaded another arrow onto what looked like a Crossbow. And he launched... Takuya couldn't follow him at all. The arrow had lodged itself into Moonlight's shoulder before the Archer had pulled out another arrow. No... wait, he was aiming, no... loading... no... loading again...

The new Assassin stared in awe. The Archer was moving faster than he could register. The falcon was attacking incessantly as well. Yet, the Archer had not said a single word... One glance at Moonlight, and he knew the fox lady wouldn't last much longer. Arrows littered her body and she had no room to recuperate.

That is... until the dozens of arrows in her dissipated like thin powder snow. But Yamato was not to be discouraged from the fierce look in his eyes. Again, he slew arrows at an alarming rate. His attacks seemed effortless to the eye, but every arrow made an impact on Moonlight.

Takuya stood pensively in the dark. At the rate the Archer was attacking, he could take her down solo. It was amazing. Takuya wasn't even sure if he would get any action for himself. It was HE who had a clear, direct reason for killing Moonlight... he had someone to rescue, someone who was under Moonlight's control...

Speaking of someone, where was the other Archer that had been accompanying Yamato? Was it... He wasn't sure what to assume, but for the moment, he wanted to direct all his rage towards Moonlight... All the anger possible...

Moonlight, have you done something to provoke Yamato into attacking you as well?

Shock of Yamato's pure skill passed over, Takuya snuck behind in a flash and jabbed a Damascus straight into Moonlight's wide-open back. She was distracted. This was working much more better than he had planned. The menacing, uncontrollable grin plastered on his lips would not cease as the blood spilled out.

Yamato stopped for a moment, distracted by Moonlight's wail of pain. He saw the Assassin behind her, then searched the rest of the area. Takuya could tell that the Archer's purpose wasn't solely to attack Moonlight by now.

" Taichi!" the blonde Archer shouted, the first word he had spoken since his appearance.

Takuya himself had not said anything, either. He was a silent killer... he was a silent avenger... he was...

The Archer took off, breezing past the duel and deeper into Moonlight's lair.

The smile curled incessantly on Takuya's face. He was so close, he could feel it on the tip of his fingers. With one last twirl of his second Damascus, he slashed straight through Moonlight's body. She screeched, and then nothing more came out of her.

Spent, relieved, Takuya dropped the weapons in his hands, one by one. The clattering of metal hitting solid ground seemed obsolete compared to the sounds running inside his head. ' Kouji...'

He closed his eyes, first to tune out the sight of the fading Moonlight and second to revel in his memories. He could already feel those lithe arms wrap around him, pulling him in...

And all of a sudden... it was true. Except... a giant Katar was at his neck, too. Unmistakable Katar...

' Kouji.'

The brunette wanted to know why...

" Have you forgotten that we have the ability to respawn?" jeered a familiar, feminine voice, as if she could read minds.

Still, without a reverberation from his vocal chords since he had entered the cave, Takuya slowly gulped. His adam's apple gradually shifted like an elevator moving between floors, visible through the deep lavendar purple material on his neck. His breathing was calm, but numerous thoughts clouded his insides.

Why... why was everything not turning out as he expected? Why was Kouji still unfamiliar? Why was Kouichi still giving him such cold eyes? Why did this happen? He had worked so hard, and it came to this... Trapped, stuck with nowhere else to go.

He felt himself falling... falling back, leaning into those strong arms of the stranger he loved.

Love... he...

" Kouji..." he finally uttered.

****

The brunette Assassin fell weakly against Kouji. Under his mask, the darker-haired Assassin opened his mouth in slight surprise. ' He feels so gentle in my hands...'

Quickly, he changed the angle of his arms so he could support the other without damaging him. His Katars were gigantic, but Kouji easily handled them, maneuvering them around Takuya's body.

" We found him quickly," Kouichi commented as he cast random support spells on the refreshed Moonlight.

" Is this one giving himself up, too?" Moonlight said, seemingly disappointed at the relinquishing potential for torture. " How boring."

Moonlight led the boys into her shrine, then stopped in her tracks.

" The Yagami boy is gone. The other Archer must have taken him."

The dozens of Mandragora and Hydra had been brutally slaughtered, vines cut everywhere and mops of tentacles lying lifeless. Moonlight cast a belligerent eye at the scene, although content in some ways.

" It's all right as long as we have one in custody. Boys, I'll leave the watch duty to you. I don't feel like gathering those filthy monsters all over again."

" Yes, Moonlight," Kouichi answered.

Kouji observed the scene. He could tell Moonlight was a little worried now. She hadn't expected ANY of her plans to fail on her own account, but now the Yagami boy was gone...

Kouichi brought a hand onto his comrade's shoulder to indicate that they should leave.

" If I find out about the other chosen ones' hideouts, I'll send you guys out to retrieve them," Moonlight added before heading to her throne. Kouji and Kouichi quickly moved to their own isolated area of the cave, where they set their captive down onto the ground.

Kouji sat back and watched the boy, who was mumbling incoherently in his napping state. He wondered...

What kind of person was he... this sullen brunette in front of him. Why did he pull Kouji in so much? What was their connection? He thought, deeply and furiously, furious that he did not know the answer to these questions plaguing him.

Kouji's gaze went up and down. This boy... he was an Assassin as well. He had done it quickly, too-- this change.

Curiosity got to the better of him, and he reached out to touch the bandages on the brunette's chest, running his fingers across the fibers of every thread. He was caught in the beauty of the other... the brunette continued to mumble, making Kouji keep his hand still for a moment. Unblinking, Kouji slowly pulled the other Assassin's mask down. He cupped that smooth cheek and approached the boy's face, feeling that breath on him, sending him chills...

' This face... so familiar...'

" Kouji."

His hand twitched and he pulled back, shocked at what he was doing. Kouichi was giving him a strange look, a look mixed with concern and worry.

" Do you know him?" the Priest asked quietly.

Kouji paused before answering. " I don't know. But..."

He stared back into the brunette again, unable to take his eyes off him. There was a burning in his chest, but what scared him the most was that... he LIKED this burning.

Kouichi stood and started to stroll off. " I'm going for a walk. Will you be okay by yourself?"

Kouji kept his eyes on the other Assassin, but he took Kouichi's words to him. " You know I'll be fine."

Kouichi nodded, and then departed. He relished in the dark environment of the cave to hide his furrowing brows.

" No, I don't know that, Kouji," he said inaudibly.

****

Please review! *begbowbowbowbowpleadgrovelatyourfeet* This really is turning out to be a rather large fic... ^^;

Would the news... that I will officially be writing individual lemons for both Takouji and Taito pairing... do anything? x3 I'm just trying to figure out how relevant I want them to be to the story, since I won't be able to post them (or I'll have to post censored versions) on FF.N. I don't want to confuse people who didn't read the lemon, after all. XD

More stat fun! *shrugs*

Takuya - Assassin
Weapon 1: Double Hurricane Damascus (Andre x2)
Weapon 2: Fire, Water, Earth, or Wind Damascus
Head 1: Goggles
Head 3: Assassin Mask
Robe: Mocking Manteau (Whisper)
Armor: Ninja suit
Shoes: Boots
Accessory: Ring x2

Kouji - Assassin
Weapon 1/2: ~CUSTOM~ Triple Critical Katar (Solder Skeleton x3)
Head 1: Pirate Bandana
Head 3: Assassin Mask
Robe: Mocking Manteau (Whisper)
Armor: Ninja suit
Shoes: Hasty Boots (Moonlight Flower)
Accessory: Critical Ring x2

Kouichi - Priest
Weapon: Bare hands
Head 2: Sunglasses of Gemstone (invisible)
Robe: Muffler of Mastery (Dark Priest)
Armor: Holy Robe
Shoes: Hasty Boots (Moonlight Flower)
Accessory: Safety Ring x2

EXTREME Taito in the next chapter. I have about a third of it written at the time of this posting. ^^;

Splash
http://gottaito.cjb.net