Digimon Fan Fiction / Ragnarok Fan Fiction ❯ Where Fate Turns ❯ Chapter 15: Everlasting Wanderers ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
****
Where Fate Turns
Chapter 15: Everlasting Wanderers
****

Dragi: *hugs back* Thank you Dragi!!

Crystal Ketchum Darklight: I'm so glad you responded to that little note. ^_^ *glomps* I don't feel ignored now... ^^

KimuraSato: >3~ I love your Yuuri/Wolfram fics!!!

Rave~n: ..?

takuya: XD... uh, here's an update for your plzure.

****

~Disappointment comes from events. Disheartenment comes from observation of such events.~

****

Yamato wasn't completely sure why he had allowed their situation get this threatening. For the God of Strength's sake, they were on a break! He was having the time of his life until this very moment. Now, it could turn into the worst day of his life...

He didn't think he would meet members of the Falconry Festival again so soon... and in crowded Prontera, to make things worse. The wrong move would create an unwanted, popular spectacle.... Careless words were exchanged, and Yamato, used to the lax speech of his break, had let the cat out of the bag that Taichi was involved in sealing the MVPs. He had forgotten to think about his words,,, and he hadn't heard news of the mass MVP sealing until the Hunters shouted the information. By then, he knew he had opened a Pandora's Box... Norse style.

How was he supposed to know that all of the MVPs except Baphomet and Dark Lord had been sealed in the past few days? But that didn't matter at the moment.

One of the hunters even had the nerve to raise his bow on Taichi...

A tense silence hung over the Archers and Hunters. Even Yamato's falcon remained still, which was rare for the jittery bird.

" You have no idea how much you'll affect the future if you harm Taichi," Yamato said in a dangerously calm voice. On his shoulder, Hawkes gave an equally dangerous glare.

The Hunter huffed. " Try me." Without another warning, he shot an arrow at Taichi...

It disappeared before it could land a scratch on the brunette. A shining green substance had covered Taichi.

" Just in time," a voice cut in.

Everyone turned to glance at the incomers. The Hunter who had drawn his bow on the brunette raised it again, preparing to shoot the intruder. He found not one intruder, but three...

" Kouichi..." Yamato said in awe.

" Keh, we're not letting you get away," one of the Hunters muttered, " Hey, everyone! We found the person who's been sealing the MVPs! GET HIM!!!"

Taichi panicked. The last thing he wanted was for everyone to turn on him. Yamato was already ahead of him, tugging his wrist and pulling him towards Kouichi, Kouji and Takuya.

" Warp us out of here, fast" Yamato spat, immediately returning to battle mode. He had messed up the situation enough...

" I only have Morroc and Payon," Kouichi said hastily, voice cracking as he saw various people with malicious faces approach them slowly.

" Morroc," Takuya said for Kouichi's ears only, " Hurry!"

They moved as quickly as their feet would let them, not even pausing when one of the observers offered for them to explain themselves. While they were glad SOMEONE was willing to listen, tactics told them that they would be scrap before they could tell their truth. Escape was their only chance of survival.

Once Kouichi stepped in his portal, the Prontera mobbers weren't able to follow. The portal closed in front of them, leaving them angry and spiteful. The beauty of warp portals...

As they rushed out to the other side of the warp, they caught their breaths.

" Goddamn it! These people are so ungrateful for the pain we've been through. I just wanna... AGH!" Takuya started punching the air furiously.

" It's not their fault," Kouichi said sadly, " They haven't experienced what we have... They have no reason to believe in Ragnarok."

" There must be others who believe, though!" Taichi said almost helplessly, " Others besides the MVP sealers..."

" We have much reason to believe that," Kouji noted, " I don't think a couple people alone could have coasted through Midgard so quickly on their own. They had to have large groups of people helping."

Yamato suddenly quirked an eyebrow. " Why are you guys back here, anyhow? I thought you were in Glast Heim. That place isn't exactly a weekend shopping spree..."

" We got sidetracked...a Priestess offered to warp us to Geffen as long as we sealed Doppelganger... Hey wait, the Priestess," Takuya's train of thought gained steam. " She said she had worked with Taichi before. Menchi, was it?"

Taichi made a very still face. " Yes. One of the many blue-haired sisters. They've always helped me in my journey. It has to be them helping the other MVP sealers... maybe if we find them..."

" That's what we had in mind, which is why we came to look for you. Things are moving a lot faster than we planned," said Kouichi.

" Almost too fast," Yamato commented distastefully. " We have to be careful about rushing things. Don't overlook things in the past... that could be dangerous."

" What do we do now?" Kouichi asked.

Yamato glanced at his surroundings for a while. He wasn't nearly as used to being in Morroc as he was in Prontera, or Payon, even... he needed to think fast, however.

" We have to find the other MVP sealers," Takuya reminded them, " We definitely can't finish off the other MVPs by ourselves."

" How do you know that? We haven't tried going against them yet," Taichi retorted.

" I killed Moonlight once," Takuya said darkly, eyes showing no expression. " Even before I knew I was an MVP sealer. Even if I had known, it wouldn't have been any use. She didn't leave behind any items by the time I realized it. It wasn't until Menchi told me that I had to get an MVP item that I knew why I wasn't able to finish Moonlight for good."

" What does that have to do with Baphomet and Dark Lord?"

" We just have to be more careful, all right? Baphomet and Dark Lord are the most infamous MVPs out there. And I don't think the other MVP sealers have sealed them yet because they need us. There's no guarantee we'll get them on the first shot, and if that happens, they need all the support they can get for another chance."

Taichi didn't argue with that.

Yamato had something else on his mind, however. " The Hunters in Prontera... they know my name, and I know they'll do everything in their ring of influence to go after us. Everybody in Prontera must know by now already, and news between the cities spreads like wildfire. We won't be able to stay in city or towns or any place with a lot of people anymore."

Everybody looked at the blonde in slight shock. They hadn't really thought about those consequences. They didn't WANT to think about them, but it was the reality...

And Yamato was rooted in it.

" Except faraway places, right? I mean... places like Turtle Dungeon and Comodo... they're new, and not many people go to them," Kouichi said hopefully.

" Maybe..."

" Kouichi and I know what the other MVP sealers look like," Kouji brought up, " It'll help in the search."

" Hm? How?" Taichi asked curiously.

" Moonlight went through your memories when she had captured you," Kouji explained, " Once she gathers a visual of the current successor of an MVP sealer, she can monitor their appearance with her mental powers any time onward."

" ...Nice," was all Taichi could say in return.

" Somehow, we can do that, too," Kouji continued. He stopped... ' This must be from being her child...' he realized. But he didn't want to make Taichi and Yamato's situation more ragged than it already was. " Probably leftover influence from Moonlight's possession."

Kouichi gave him a funny look, but Kouji pretended to ignore it. " One's an Assassin and the other is a Crusader. Both male and same short, brown hair. You met them at the same place, Taichi."

" Hmm... I wonder..." Taichi said slowly, deeply contemplating. He delved into his own memories. Maybe he could remember them for himself... " Any other hints you can give me?"

" Oh..." Kouichi noted. " You met them in Prontera Church... I recognize it since I had to go there for my Acolyte job change."

" The church... we had that big meeting in the church, remember, Yama? Do you remember the names? I can recognize their faces, but I only heard the names once, so..."

" Yes, they're all generally well-known people in Midgard. If they were both brown-haired and the classes you say they are... they would have to be Takato, who was a Swordsman at the meeting, and the Assassin Daisuke, although his hair has a more red flare to it..."

" Great! We have names!" Taichi said excitedly, " It shouldn't be too hard to find them."

" Names don't really help us," Yamato countered, " We can't go around asking people for their whereabouts."

" We should predict where the MVP sealers will go," Kouji said suddenly, " I think they're near Baphomet or Dark Lord's area waiting for us."

" Baphomet and Dark Lord are in the same area.... they could be far away from it to avoid being discovered," Yamato argued, " We have little idea which one they would prefer... you said you could monitor them... don't you know where they are?"

" Only their appearance... I can't see where they are at the present."

" I think they would take the risk and wait for us," Taichi said, looking at everyone in the eye, " We put a lot of trust in the blue-haired sisters, as they have done for us. This is almost.. a test of true trust."

" They would be in Glast Heim... I'm not sure if we're all ready for the MVPs." Yamato looked among the group, analyzing their situation. He saw the intense, firey stares from the others, and suddenly he felt slight isolated. Maybe he was thinking too much. He sighed. " This is a tough decision..."

" I know what I want to do, but I can't ignore the truth," Taichi said willfully, " I don't want to get killed needlessly."

" Me, too," Takuya agreed.

They stood around in silence, trying to figure out the best course of action. Taichi walked over to the other Archer and rested his chin on Yamato's shoulder.

" You and Kouichi seem to know the most about this world," he stated, " Your choices would be more reliable. You guys lead."

" If you're sure," Yamato pressed his lips against Taichi's cheek before turning to Kouichi. " How do we start?"

" Dark Lord is probably easier to take down since he's an Undead and the area he roams in has mostly Undeads. It's easy to damage them... It's Baphomet that scares me. I think we should get comfortable with fighting together before we meet the other MVP sealers."

" I'm fine with that. I was planning to take Taichi to the Clock Tower in Alde Baran."

Kouichi whistled. " That place is full of dangerous guys... but it's definitely a good place for all five of us. I heard it was an excellent place to practice with small party sizes. And the people who train there don't go out often. It's almost a world in itself. But... people who aren't ready for it rarely live to tell about it..." He paused, appearing nervous for a moment before smiling, " I'm sure we're more than ready. Let's find someone with a warp to Alde Baran."

****

Alde Baran looked very much like Geffen, except it had small bridges and docks for the water current that ran through the city. The Clock Tower was also in the center of the town, as Geffen Tower was in the center of Geffen. The center was also where the most people gathered...

But none of the people jumped them at first sight, which was truly reassuring. None of them even looked twice. Perhaps they were all too preoccupied... it wasn't difficult to tell why. The tower itself held such an ominous aura, casting an ancient shadow on the cement foundation, declaring the height of the dangers inside.

Despite the massive obstruction in the center, Alde Baran was a peaceful place. Outdoor umbrella tables decorated many of the watersides, where several 2nd classmen casually enjoyed glass drinks. In fact, most of the people in the area were 2nd classmen, except the occasional Merchant or warp-business Acolyte... and the two Archers...

" I want to say this place is beautiful, but there really are more prettier places," Kouichi noted. The others silently agreed. " You guys know what's inside this place?"

Yamato was the only one who nodded.

" Um... care to explain?"

" Well, there's one main area that's the most rewarding experience-wise... the clock room. I first heard about it a long time ago... If we can find it..."

" I know where it is," Kouichi announced, " Mm... It's hard to explain, my party went there once and we hardly made it out, but we did find the room. It's really easy to remember once we find it."

The entrance to the Clock Tower was rather empty, save for a lone Knight beating upon a Baphomet Jr. The gang swiftly moved past him and took the east path at a fork in the path. They turned again at the first curve into another portal.

A crowd of Archer Skeletons were on the other side, but Kouichi easily rendered them helpless with his Pneuma spell. After the short speel, Taichi groaned.

" Does this place always have this ticking sound?" he asked, referring to echoey clicking noises throughout the area.

" Well, it IS a clock tower," Yamato answered. Taichi gave him an incredulous eyebrow.

" We'll pass the Deviruchi room on the way," Kouichi commented, almost sounding like a tour guide.

The Deviruchi room contained several spawn points for the small, devil-like creatures. 2nd classmen lined up at each of the points, waiting for their chance to get a rare item from a Deviruchi.

" They want the Evilband," Kouichi said as they passed the room and through a large, open area in the center. " Like Yamato's Angelband, with devil wings instead."

" That'd be cool to have," Taichi added, " I kind of knew about them, but somehow, I'm more attracted to the Angelband... There's something about it..." He stared at Yamato, who blushed faintly in response.

" You're more of an angel than I am, Taichi. This is just... heritage."

" That was sappy, Yama," Taichi laughed. " You should listen to yourself. You don't even notice it!"

Yamato just blushed more until they reached another portal.

" You guys prepared to pummel some clocks and stuff?"

" Stuff?" Kouji mirrored back to his twin.

" ...You'll see. Stay close together, guys. Running off will just lure unwanted monsters."

Taichi swallowed before being the last to enter the portal. He had been to so many places in such short a time, it seemed awkward that this place made him feel like a newbie all over again... not that he would admit it. He just had to prove them otherwise.

The area's color showed their true form in the next area. Various hallways and stairs decorated the giant room. But where there weren't any hallways or stairs... a dark, purple abyss...

Catching up with the others, Taichi could see other parties in the distance on a faraway staircase. He glanced below in another room and spotted several monsters waiting for someone to come to them...

" Alarm incoming!" Yamato shouted. Kouji and Takuya immediately went forward to take on the monster. " Taichi! Over here!"

" Y-yes!"

****

It was no quick journey around the giant room. Even though the place wasn't crowded with monsters like most dungeons, the amount of activity in the area made it seem so. Larger parties tried to handle multiple monsters at once, while courageous soloists showed off their skills with the Alarm monsters.

The giant circle-clocks weren't the only clock-themed monster in the vicinity, oh no, Tower Keepers stalked around, preprared to dismember any intruder in the area. Heavy gears and complicated metallic bearings woven around a large cape gave these floating monsters a vicious appearance.

One of the Tower Keepers was tail-gating a female Wizard who was trying to keep her distance from it. The Tower Keeper swung its massive staff in her direction, and although it missed, the Wizard wailed in frustration.

" Aah!" Stupid Lex Divina! Now I'm useless... Arbor... help!!"

At this point, Taichi and the others had gotten close enough to see who was involved. Takuya frowned.

" Didn't expect to see them here," the Assassins said in a low-tone. " Sefirot and his party..."

The Blacksmith referred to as Arbor lumbered up to the Tower Keeper and swung his ax. The Tower Keeper flew back at the impact, but it took no more than a glancing blow. As it continued to approach them, Arbor continued to hack and slash it...

The Knight on the PecoPeco behind Arbor spotted the newcomers. " You again... I never did catch your names."

" What interest would YOU have in it?" Takuya growled, crossing his arms.

" You defeated me in a fair match back in Payon, if you remember," Sefirot said rather calmly, " It made me realize that I have gravely underestimated other classmen. You have my deep respect now. I ask again... your names?"

As if to prove his point, he lowered his head in a type of bow.

The others looked at Takuya in confusion. Takuya explained his duel with Sefirot before confronting Moonlight, earning a compliment from Kouji and Kouichi.

Takuya looked ahead to see Sefirot with his head still lowered. It was a rather awkward situation... here they were, standing around a room inhabited by dangerous monsters, and formalities were being presented... It didn't help that Sefirot had such a fierce appearance; a Fin Helm on his ears signified his extreme strength, and the lance spear at his side showed that he was no coward. Yet, he was giving in to the Assassin before him. The sight even awed his Wizard and Blacksmith cohorts as they finished off the Tower Keeper.

Silence hovered over them for a moment, many thoughts flooding Takuya's mind. Should he comply? He could hear the ticking of giant clocks around him, pressuring him...

" Takuya. My name is Takuya." It seemed so easy all of a sudden... " The other Assassin is Kouji, the Priest is Kouichi..." as he introduced the others, his posture lightened...

After some conversation, Kouichi asked, " Are you guys okay here without a healer?"

" Of course!" the Wizard Rana replied, " We're mainly here so Arbor here would get off his lazy butt."

The Blacksmith lethargically jeered back. " You guys always make me do the hard stuff."

" I know," Rana teased, giggling as she playfully swung her silvery-blue robes, " I can't go all out unless there's water around, anyway."

" Hmph." the Blacksmith backed out to shuffle through his cart. It had a lovely panda face decorating it. Arbor pulled out some food and started eating, his expression showing nonchalance.

" Food again... that's why you're not sexy like most Blacksmiths, Arbor. You eat too much."

" Aah, the rest of our party finally made it back," Sefirot interupted. " I believe you may recognize them the most, Kouichi."

They all turned towards the staircase Sefirot was pointing to, and sure enough, several people were waving...

" Kouichi!" one of the Wizards yelled.

Kouichi smiled as he had never done since the Archers and Assassins had met him...

" Junpei! Tomoki! Izumi! Melissa! Shinya!" he called. " How have you been?"

The two girls of the party squealed. " How do you like the new look?" Izumi said as she turned to display her features, " Melissa and I are Dancers! And Shinya became a Knight very recently. He doesn't have a PecoPeco yet, though."

" Congratulations," Kouichi said politely, still smiling, " Wow, I didn't expect to meet you all so soon..."

" We're been looking for you for ages!" Tomoki wailed, " We went to almost every town and dungeon in existence! Where have you been?"

All of a sudden, apprehension loomed over Kouichi. He was about to tell them about Moonlight, but...

" I... I found out that I have a twin brother. It was this Assassin Kouji all along! ...Can you believe it?"

They hardly had time to gape when an abrupt crash averted their attention. Two Tower Keepers and an Alarm were moving towards them...

" Fight now, talk later," Yamato finished for them before he set out, bow and falcon ready.

****

After an enduring day of training, Shinya offered everyone a night celebration at Comodo. The Acolyte that joined up with them after Takuya left was always available to warp them around. Somehow, Kouichi's happy reaction convinced Yamato and Taichi to agree. Takuya also agreed, to Kouji's concern, but he seemed to have several things on his mind in general...

Comodo was always a festive place at night, filled with outdoor fires, glittering beaches and playful games. They reserved a large section for the lot of them.

Izumi and Melissa occupied one of the huts, dancing to the loud music playing around the establishment. They attracted a mass of random people to join in on the dance. Kouichi, Junpei, Tomoki and Shinya cracked jokes and tried to get Sefirot to join them. The PecoPeco Knight just sat cross-armed on his steed and pretended not to be affected by their humor. Arbor raided a nearby foodbar while Rana joined some water lovers for a game of water volleyball.

Much to everyone's curiosity, Takuya and Kouji completely disappeared from the scene as soon as they arrived. Yamato and Taichi wandered from activity to activity without doing much. They were both too embarrassed to dance, they weren't interested in food or water, and there weren't many item stores to browse. They were weaning towards wandering farther for a private place when Kouichi came up to them.

" Sorry to interupt you like this... but is it okay if we discuss a few things? I would truly appreciate it..."

They both nodded, sensing that something important was approaching.

The three of them went to an unoccupied fireplace where the booming music from the hut was barely background music. Taichi and Yamato sat on one log surrounding the fireplace, and Kouichi sat on another perpendicular to them.

" First off, I want to apologize--Kouji and I-- for all of the damage we have done to you under Moonlight's influe-"

" That's nothing to be sorry about," Taichi cut, " You had no control over it! It's not your fault. No big deal, really."

" Well, it's not just that," Kouichi stared at the fire in a slight daze. " Before we found you back in Prontera, Takuya, Kouji and I went to Geffen and sealed Doppelganger. But... Doppelganger told us many things..."

Taichi and Yamato watched and listened carefully, waiting for the dark-haired Priest to continue.

" ...Including the fact that Kouji and I are twins. We... our father was human, but... Moonlight is our mother."

Taichi verbally gaped. Yamato tensed for a moment before waiting again.

" Just thought... it would explain a few things..." Kouichi said quietly. The dark air of night seemed more noticeable to him all of a sudden. " I didn't want to hide it from you, but I don't think my party needs to know. I talked with them, though. They're all willing to help us seal the reamining MVPs with us."

" You told them about us?" Taichi said nervously.

" Sefirot was the one who brought up the news of the MVPs disappearing, so I tested them all... to see if they were trusting enough. They've always been trusting people, anyway... They don't have the heart to kill another human, much less one they respect, but they'll fight for justice."

Taichi sighed a breath of relief, holding onto his knees. " Well, that's good. The more help, the better."

" Yeah, I'm really glad they'll stick with us until the end," Kouichi said, drifting off. Something about his voice seemed... lonely...

" What about you, Kouichi?" Yamato asked suddenly.

Kouichi was caught off off-guard. " Wuh huh?"

" Why do you want the MVPs sealed? Besides saving Midgard and the obvious."

" Uh..." Kouichi glanced at them strangely for a moment, then continued to look dazed at the fire. " I'm not quite sure... I could say that I'm protecting my brother, but it seems unreal. I don't know him that well, after all... but, I still..."

Yamato remained silent, realizing their similarity. Kouichi, too, had something he had unconsciously yearned for all his life. He wondered if Kouichi had become aware of such need...

" You don't need to concern yourself with it," Kouichi said with a slight smile, " Thank you. I needed to get that off. I'm going to go back to Junpei and the others. See you later."

Taichi and Yamato watched Kouichi meander back to the social group in the far distance.

" That was quite the news," Taichi observed.

" Fortunately, it doesn't change the fact that they're on our side," Yamato noted, " That's all that matters for now."

" That's kind of cold of you..." Taichi said quietly.

" Thought you would have expected it by now," Yamato said in a similar tone.

" I DID expect it," Taichi murmurred sadly, " I'm just making sure you're aware of it."

" Heh." Despite the light conversation, Yamato sensed something was off. He wasn't sure whether to go with it, though...

" Don't change that part of you, Yama," Taichi said suddenly.

" I won't even if you asked me to," he said as he leaned over to rest on Taichi's shoulder.

" Hmm..."

On Yamato's free side. Hawkes spread his wings and flew off to explore the tropical trees. He always seemed to have good timing, that falcon...

The onslaught of kisses was inevitable. The overflowing blue and black atmosphere had finally gotten to them as they searched each other's lips hungrily. Yamato's upper half was slowly forced onto Taichi's lap as Taichi pattered kisses on the blonde beauty. Yamato felt himself lowered farther and farther...

" Oi, Taichi... I don't want to get sand in my hair," he grumbled.

" No, that wouldn't be good..." Taichi consented as he lifted Yamato back up, " Just... being with you is contentment itself."

Yamato blushed as Taichi wrapped his arms around Yamato's body. He was still wondering if everything was real and not just some sick hoax. He yearned for confirmation as much as possible, and he never wanted to let go of the feeling of having it. Was that such a selfish wish? Seeking truth all of his life... if only he could experience it for eternity. But... there was a nagging feeling in his chest... " What's on your mind, Taichi?"

" You knew, eh..." Taichi hung his head. " Moonlight again... If I had known earlier, there would have been more hope... that..."

" It's in the past, Taichi..."

" Do you think there's a way to bring her back? Even if she's sealed... she's still alive somewhere, right?"

" She's alive outside Midgard... there are a few humans who have ventured out of Midgard and remained alive themselves, Taichi... There's no need for you to take that kind of a risk."

Yamato gave him a somewhat frenzied look.

" What... Yama, no need to get worried. I won't abandon you."

Yes... he definitely desired confirmation. But... he still felt selfish, so he provided a pillow. " Perhaps there is a safe way to give her another chance, somewhere out there. We must concentrate on our current situation, however. Our own race is against us here."

" You're right..."

They remained in each other's hold at the campfire for several blissful minutes, thinking optimistically for a rare time. Yamato went through a few thoughts of the scenery before them just as Taichi spoke again.

" Yamato... this may sound kind of strange, but will you promise never to stop being yourself?"

" ...Yeah, as long as you promise never to lose your life on promise..."

" ...Be there for me?" It was less of an open-ended plea than a confession of wishes... One that tore at Yamato's heart... in a good way. He never thought that it would happen, but there he was, experiencing it in the flesh. He wasn't rejected.

He could sense Hawkes in a nearby tree gazing over them thoughtfully. He smiled.

" Of course I will, Taichi. I wouldn't give you up for the world..."

****

Sefirot - Knight
Weapon: Lance
Head 1: Angel Helm
Head 2: Single Glass
Robe: Mocking Manteau (Whisper)
Armor: Full Plate
Shoes: Boots (Zombie)
Accessory: Safety Ring x2

Rana - Wizard
Weapon: Wand of Occult
Head 1: Poring Hat
Head 2: Elven Ears (Too bad Fin Helm is only for Swordie class =\)
Robe: Mocking Manteau (Whisper)
Armor: Robe of Casting
Shoes: Boots (Matyr)
Accessory: Earring x2 (Phen, Berzebub)

Arbor - Blacksmith
Weapon: Slaughter
Head 1: Miner's Helmet
Head 3: Pipe
Robe: Mocking Manteau (Whisper)
Armor: Chain Mail (Ghostring)
Shoes: Boots (Matyr)
Accessory: Ring x2

I have orientation for University of Michigan next week! I'm kind of scared... I really don't feel old enough on the inside to be going to college... but after that, some vacationing outside the state... I'll still find whatever time I can to write, though. Heck, I might have MORE time to write outside the state with less access to the Internet to distract me. *blink* Please review!

Splash
gottaito.cjb.net