Digimon Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A NEW DESTINY - Book 0: Final Decisions ❯ Forever ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
…FOREVER…

A songfic by Robster80


This fic was written on Sept. 11, 2001. The song used here is "Who Wants to Live Forever?" by Queen. They own it, not me.

Discalimer: I only own the character Blue Goblin. Everyone else is owned by their rightful distributors (Viz, Funimation, Etc.)



Cell walked out of the Tendo Dojo, for what he knew would be the final time in his life, or at least for a long, long time. Ranma was dead now, and Cell had just informed the Tendos and the Saotomes. As he took each step farther away form the Dojo, his heart broke even more as memories of Ranma flooded his mind.

There's no time for us
There's no place for us
What is this thing that builds our dreams
then slips away from us?

He remembered that evening well. Ranam had come to the Mega Mansion broken hearted, Akane having rejected him for the final time the night before in favor of Ryoga. Then Friezor attacked without warning. In the end, Ranma had defeated him, but the teen had given his life to do it.

What was worse was that TK, Ranma's youngest and favorite cousin, had seen it all. Ranma had given his life for him gladly, and it hurt him so much.

Who wants to live forever?
Who wants to live forever?

Cell suddenly stopped. He found himself at the bridge Ranma would usually hide under as a peaceful spot from his chaotic life. The Android slipped under it and sat down, staring at a teapot lying nearby and the remains of a previous small campfire. Ranma must have been here earlier, before he came to the mansion.

The pain became too much. For possibly the first time in a long time, he wept bitterly. Ranma had been more than a friend to him. He was like a much-loved son.

There's no chance for us
It's all been decided for us
This world has only one sweet moment
Set aside for us....

Ranma's viewing was packed as family, friends, and a few Mega Avengers who had known briefly or heard of Ranma. They came to say goodbye to him, and give their condolences to his family. Cell saw TK there, but he never approached him. He feared the boy blamed him for not being able to save Ranma. And Cell knew he had every right to believe that.

Who wants to live forever?
Who wants to live forever?

Anyone who tried to speak to Cell never got his response. He was still in loss. When he approached the coffin Ranma's body was lying in, he placed his MA badge into it alongside other small trinkets that others had placed within it. You deserve this more than I do, he thought as the tears continued to flow down his face.

Turning away, Cell walked out of the room, and headed for the door.

"Cell, wait!"

The Blue Goblin ran up to his former enemy turned friend, followed by Frieza. "Cell, don't go beating yourself up over this," Blue said. "No one saw it coming. No one could have saved him-."

Who dares to love forever
When love must die...?

This made Cell feel worse "I could have," he exclaimed. "All my power, and I just let him die like that! Him, whom I loved like my own son, whom I wished Gale could have been like if I hadn't been evil!" He faced the open door. "But I failed him… His blood, like so many others, is on my hands. But his blood will never wash away."

Frieza put his hand on Cell's shoulder. "I fail to see why we have to bury Ranma anyway. We can wish him back with the-."

"And what's for him to come back to," Cell snapped. "Akane's the only reason he would ever want to come back to life, and she's cast him out of her life. His love for her means nothing to her, so he's better off not coming back."

"Cell-."

The android turned away again. "I'm leaving the team for a while… I… don't know when… or if I'll come back. I need to be alone." With that, he walked out the door, and then flew into the sky.

Frieza put his hands together slowly and closed his eyes. "God be with you, Cell."

Blue could only nod in agreement.

So touch my tears with your lips,
Touch my world with your fingertips,

The sky was black on Ranma's funeral day. Distant thunder gave early warnings of the coming storm as TK and others stood to see Ranma's coffin being buried. "Blessed are the dead that are rained upon," the preacher added to his sermon before everyone began to leave.

Cell hid in the shadows of a nearby tree until everyone had gone. He watched from afar as the coffin was slowly lowered into the ground and covered in shoveled earth. Once no one was around, he made his way slowly to the tombstone as the rain began to pour down on the land. As if his strength was gone, he sank to his knees, never taking his eyes off the stone.

And we can have forever,
And we can live forever--
Forever is our today....

"I couldn't save him," he said.

"Sometimes people don't want to be saved."

The voice was very familiar; so Cell didn't need to turn around to see you it was. "Hello, Burter. …Why are you here?"

The big blue alien sighed. "Came to pay my respects. I hardly knew the kid, but I felt right in coming to the viewing and funeral. No parent should ever have to bury their children."

Cell nodded. "Whether the parent is good or evil. You and I know that more than anyone else. …He was my son, Burter. He was like Gale reborn and raised properly."

Who wants to live forever?

Burter was silent form this. He, too, had his only child taken from him right before his eyes. He never wanted anyone, not even Cell, to experience that pain. To have your hopes die with your own flesh and blood. The day Cell killed Gale, his real son, burned into the memories of all who witnessed it. They watched as Cell held his son's dead body close and wept. "…I'm so sorry," he said finally. "If… If there's anything I can do…"

Cell didn't move, but an idea formed into his mind. "Ranma's cousin TK is now the heir to the Saotome School of Martial Arts. But… he'll need training. Training only people like us can give him, if he wishes to succeed Ranma fully."

Burter saw where this was going. TK would need training, especially if should the time come when Friezor would return for revenge. "You can train him-."

"I can't. I don't know… if I can face him… not yet…"

Who wants to live forever?

"…Then I will train him."

"Thank you," Cell said, but Burter had started walking and was too far away to hear him. It didn't matter to him anyway if he was thanked or not. We both will have our revenge… TK and I…

Forever is our today....

The rain kept pouring down, but Cell never felt it prick his skin. Finally, he stood up. "I won't fail you again," he said to the tombstone. "I'll watch over TK in secret… and make sure he succeeds you in everyway possible. This I promise you." As he flew off into the rainy evening, a ghost of a young teen with black hair and a pigtail stared off after him.

"Thank you… father…"

Who waits forever anyway...?



The End