Digimon Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Crossed Paths ❯ Chapter One: Playing with fire ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Thanks again to Skittles the Sugar Fairy for pre reading and telling me when I made people to OOC. Anyway, enjoy the chappy.
Crossed Paths
By: Firehedgehog
Chapter One: Playing with fire
For as long as Takato could remember, he had never been afraid of fire. He felt very comfortable with it. His parents always said, don't play with fire... yet, part of him said it wouldn't hurt him.
Which didn't make sense, especially since he knew fire burned… and killed.
As he grew up, fire was a constant companion of his in his dreams…. sometime even ice. The most occurring dream; was the one of black fire. It was a majestic black dragon of fire, it surrounded him… it was his… and he controlled it.
At that point, he would wake up; his entire body warm as if he had been close to a large fire for some time.
Takato sighed at the thought of fire, in a way it followed him through life. Look at Guilmon, a viral yet fire type digimon.
"Hey Takato… you listening?" Kazu said, once again droning on about some girl he was `trying' to get a date with.
The gogglehead shook his head slightly, his friend would never change…...Kazu would always be an idiot.
"Takato!" a voice called, interupting Kazu's droning. Turning, Takato saw a certain blue haired teen running his way.
"Hey Henry, what's up?" Takato asked, secretly glad that Kazu's `conversation' had been interrupted.
"Did you hear, there is going to be a fair opening in two weeks… and the school is planning to have a school wide trip there!" Henry said grinning. Takato blinked at hearing this; then slowly a small smile came to his face.
"Of course, it is a fair," Henry said, Takato grinned wider then.
"Good... I'll be there then," Takato said happily, ah…....what he wouldn't do for ice cream.
It was then that his watch beeped, he sighed.
"Sorry guys, have to get home to run some errands," Takato said.
"See you later Takato," Henry said politely.
"See you shorty," Kazu said, Takato froze and then gave Kazu a death glare that made Rika's terrifying glare look like nothing.
"Eep!" Kazu said going white. Seeing this, Takato turned and headed home.
"You really have to stop calling him that," Henry said to Kazu awhile later.
"I know, but he's so short.....he hasn't grown since we had our adventures in the digital world… we were ten then," Kazu pointed out.
Henry sighed knowing it was true, but he wished people would stop pointing out his friend's lack of height.
"I wish I knew where he learned that glare though, its so scary I felt as if I was seeing Megidramon again…" Henry admitted in a whisper, the dragon of destruction would haunt him for the rest of his life.
"We just have to hope, that he doesn't teach Rika it," Kazu said with a shiver, Henry hoped so too… one glare such as that was enough.
***
It was hours later that it happened, it was late at night and Takato was soon to head to bed.
"Takato… phone call!" his mother shouted from downstairs.
Takato looked up startled; who would call this late… and a school night.
"Hello?" he asked picking up the phone on his desk, for a moment the other person didn't say anything.
"Takato... a digimon attacked Rika's place, its knocked Rika and Renamon out… the place is on fire. You have to get here quick, I don't know if we'll be able to find a way to get in to them!" Henry voice cried.
Takato didn't answer.
"Takato?" Henry questioned.
But Takato was already gone, the curtains to his rooms small balcony fluttered in the wind.
***
Takato ran as if someone's life depended on it, and it did. Guilmon was right behind him; he knew they didn't have much time.
"Takatomon... why did we jump out your window?" Guilmon asked as they ran.
"Because mom wouldn't let us out this close to midnight no matter what… or how we asked," Takato explained truthfully.
"Oh... okay Takatomon," Guilmon chirped.
"I'm not a mon," Takato said for the zillionth and a half time.
"Okay dokey Takatomon," Guilmon responded, Takato decided to give up the issue for now.
***
The house was a raging inferno; the flames seemed to reach for the sky with greedy fingers. There was already a crowd around the house, and he could see the firemen were having no luck in putting it out.
"Takato!" a voice called, turning the goggleheaded boy saw the other tamers standing near the edge of the property.
They were all there, minus Rika and Renamon.
"The digimon was defeated?" he asked quietly, his gaze though stayed on the fire. With the reflection of the fires light, it gave his eyes an almost inhuman look.
"Yeah… but... Rika is still inside, no one can get inside," Kenta said sadly. Takato didn't say anything; he turned and took a few steps towards the blaze.
"Takatomon?" Guilmon asked.
"Stay here, I'll be back with Rika and Renamon," Takato promised, his partner nodded.
"I'll be waiting," Guilmon whispered.
Then Takato ran into the blaze, what followed were cries of horror and dismay.
`Takatomon' Guilmon thought; he stared at where his partner had gone, knowing Takato would be back.
***
The flames licked around him, the burning was all he could hear and smell… flames pretty much all he could hear. None of this bothered him; all that mattered was Rika.
`Hang on Rika' Takato thought, for he knew that Rika and Renamon didn't have much time.
***
Rika coughed violently as she came too, she groaned. She was so hot, opening her eyes; she gasped… all she could see was fire.
"Renamon…" Rika whispered, she felt tears flow down here face seeing her partner unconscious battered form. She cried for the first time in years, she knew she was about to die… there was no way out.
It was then that it happened, a shadow seemed to appear in the ocean of flames around her. She gulped, it had to be the digimon that had forced Renamon and herself unconscious.
"Takato…" she whispered in shock.
For out of the fire walked Takato, untouched at all by the flames. Strange, in the light of the flames his eyes seemed to be blood red and his hair looked black.
Her mind, unable to understand how Takato could walk though flames untouched… also unhurt… pulled her mind and body into the darkness of unconsciousness.
***
The tamers were silent; one of their own had walked into death.
`Why' Henry thought, he knew Takato had a crush on Rika…. but he had not expected Takato to walk into a deathtrap to save her.
`To meet his own death' he thought sadly, and he knew he had lost his best friend.
"He's coming," Guilmon suddenly said, this grabbed everyone's attention.
"Holy…" Kenta breathed, and Henry agreed. Out of the flaming wreckage walked Takato, some how holding both Rika and Renamon in his arms. As they came out, the fire seemed to swirl around them for a few moments.
Takato was untouched, the world seemed to become silent. Then Takato blinked, and fell forward unconscious.
"Takato!" everyone cried, then it seemed to be in slow motion as he ran towards his friend… hoping the three lying there would be okay.
---TBC---
Next time: Dreams and memories, the pain of the future past. Takato has to face these things, especially when things start to change.
Hmm; no YYH this chappy. Just a few hints. I know this didn't answer many questions; in fact it probably brought more. But don't worry; things will start to make sense soon.