Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ 10 - If You Ask Me To ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

If You Ask Me To

By Quincy Burney

Used to be that I believed in something.

Used to be that I believed in love.

It's been a long time since I've had the feeling,

I could love someone,

I could trust someone.

The evening always fell quickly in the Digital World. Or it at least seemed that way. There was never enough time to do all that was needed and even if there was, it was no use. There was always one thing getting in the way. Fear!

It wasn't a bad thing to be afraid, but what was bad was that some people didn't have the strength to prevent their fear from overwhelming them. Such a person was Ken Ichijouji. It had been a long time since Ken was freed from the grip of evil that held him as the Digimon Emperor. And even now, he still felt the stinging guilt that had plagued him because of all the horrible things he had done in the past.

The other Digidestined had tried to open up to him, but Ken always kept his distance and shut himself out. In a way, he was both protecting himself and the others. He didn't want to get hurt, and he didn't want to hurt anyone again. At least not in the way he was hurt when his brother Sam died many years ago, or the way he hurt all the innocent Digimon under his reign as the Digimon Emperor. It was a hurt, a pain that couldn't be described. The pain of loss. The pain of guilt. It always seemed like whomever got close to Ken got hurt in some terrible way. And Ken's heart cried out in sorrow every time he thought about wanting to be close to someone.

"Wormmon?"

"Yes, Ken?"

"Are you ever lonely?"

"Sometimes!"

Ken and Wormmon sat alone on a cliff overlooking the landscape of the Digital World. Many of the old control spires could still be seen in the distance. Control spires that Ken erected as the Digimon Emperor to control his former Digimon slaves. "I never thought loneliness could hurt so much." Ken said softly as a small tear graced his cheek. Wormmon saw Ken's sadness and hopped onto his lap.

"Ken, it's not doing you any good to keep yourself locked up like this. Yes, loneliness hurts. Guilt hurts. Memories hurt. But what hurts most of all is not being able to see that people do care about you." Ken looked down at Wormmon. "Do you think I can make it better?" he asked very sullen. "I know you can!" Replied Wormmon confidently. Ken smiled softly and rubbed Wormmon's head. "Thank you, my friend." He said almost in a whisper.

I said I'd never let nobody near my heart again.

I said I'd never let nobody in.

But…

Ken walked a great distance. Thinking on and on about how he felt about the people around him, and all the people who were trying to open up to him. Davis, for example, was coming on stronger than any of the other Digidestined were. He truly believed Ken could be one of them, not only as a fellow Digidestined but as a friend as well. Then there was TK. He wasn't as assertive as Davis was, but he nonetheless had faith that Ken could be part of the team. Kari too felt that Ken should be given a fair chance to prove himself.

The only two Digidestined that didn't seem too thrilled about this whole thing were Cody and Yolie. They still bore a grudge against Ken for the travesties he'd committed as the Digimon Emperor. It was so ironic! One of the two people that bore such terrible animosity, was the one person for whom Ken felt the deepest emotions.

"Cody…" Ken said beneath his breath, "I'm so scared… but I'm ready!"

If you ask me to…

I just might change my mind, and let you in my life forever.

If you ask me to…

I just might give my heart, and stay here in your arms forever.

If you ask me to…

If you ask me to.

The next day, while on patrol, The six Digidestined stopped at a grassy meadow to rest for some time. The Digimon played while the children consorted amongst themselves. Davis and TK sat close, arms folded about each other, either of them stealing a quick kiss from the other. Kari and Yolie were both playing Black Jack by a shady tree, also engaging in quick kisses on the cheek or on the lips. "Hit me!" said Yolie sounding confident. And the only two Digidestined who were silent and still, Ken and Cody, took it upon themselves to approach one another.

They sat beside each other, however with a reasonable distance between them. It had a moment or two when Cody spoke up. "Ken, I know I haven't always seemed very trusting of you since you were freed from the side of evil. But I wanna let you know that even though I gave you a rough time, I was only trying to see if you were strong enough to make the conversion to our side." It had been a kind of test. Ken wasn't surprised. "I realize I hadn't given you much of a reason to trust me." He said. "I know!" Cody replied, "You always shut us out every time we wanted to get close to you. You rarely talked about anything, hardly shared your feelings. You seemed ambiguous to us." Ken knew that what Cody said was true.

He was about to reply when Cody inched his way closer to him. He came so close that their bodies touched. He laid head on Ken's shoulder. He said softly, "I remember something that Davis and TK once told me. That no matter what, giving people the chance to make up for their mistakes is important. And that it shows you care about them." Ken smiled with hope. "Davis and TK do have a lot to offer in advice." He said. "It made a lot of sense to me." Said Cody.

"When did they tell you this?" Asked Ken. "The very first day you were freed. The day Wormmon was destroyed and you cried for him. The day I realized that there was more to you than a long dark cape and a whip." Cody sounded profound and sincere. Ken boldly put his right arm around Cody's shoulder. Cody didn't move. He merely snuggled closely to Ken and wrapped both his little arms around Ken's waist. This peaceful moment interrupted only by a small sniffle then a sob. Cody was crying.

Somehow ever since I've been around you,

Can't go back to bein' on my own.

Can't help feelin' darlin' since I found you,

That I've found home,

That I'm finally home.

"Cody? Cody, what's wrong?" Asked Ken as he looked down at the small boy clutched to his side. "I'm sorry for making you think I hated you." Cody sobbed. Ken knew of only one thing to do… he tightly embraced Cody with both his arms, holding him close. "It's Ok, Cody… I know you don't hate me. Nor could I ever hate you." He said so gently. "I could never hate you, Ken." Cody sobbed uncontrollably… "I love you, Ken"…

Silence…

Ken, amazed, closed his eyes. A single silver tear of joy graced his cheek as he swallowed all hid fear and said with such softness in his voice… "I love you, Cody."

I said I'd never let nobody get to close to me, darlin'

I said I needed, needed to be free,

But…

Cody looked up at Ken with his big, teary, innocent green eyes. "You… you love me?" he squeaked. "Yes Cody… I love you. I've always loved you." He cooed.

"Oh Ken!"…

If you ask me to…

I just might change my mind, and let you in my life forever.

If you ask me to…

I just might give my heart, and stay here in your arms forever.

If you ask me to…

If you ask me to.

Cody threw his arms from around Ken's waist to around his shoulders. He sobbed in great joy as he pulled his face in front of Ken's. They smiled so warmly at each other. Cody wasted no time and closed his eyes and he drew his head closer to Ken's. Ken saw what was coming and did just the same as he put his hands on Cody's hips and let him advance.

Their lips brushed against each other briefly, and in one sweet flourish, their lips met and pressed together in loveliness. Their embrace tightened as their kiss grew deeper and more frantic. Cody was straddled over Ken's hips and as he pushed his lips harder to Ken's, they both slowly came to the ground. Cody lay atop of Ken, kissing him with all his passion. Ken moaned softly as he opened his lips and slid his tongue into Cody's mouth. Cody, feeling hot inside, sent in his own tongue to wrestle with Ken's.

Eternal moments passed and their kiss parted. "Ken, this is all happening so fast. But I don't want it to stop. I've wanted this with you for so long… I can't go back now. I love you so much, Ken" Cody spoke with such fervor that it made Ken shiver. "Cody, I never though that I could feel for anyone what I feel for you. I used to think that after all I'd done in the past, it'd be impossible for me to love again… or for anyone to love me. But I now love you with all my heart."

Cody smiled and dove in for another long, passionate kiss.

Ask me to, I would give my world.

To you baby,

I need you now.

Ask me to, and I'd do anything.

For you, baby…

For you, baby.

A few more minutes passed. Ken and Cody lay side by side staring at the digital sky hand in hand. They looked at each other and kissed one time more. Suddenly, they heard what sounded like a group of people cheering. They sat up quickly and looked around. They turned to see in the bushes behind them Davis, TK, Kari, Yolie, and all the other Digimon. They'd been watching and listening the whole time.

"Ya know, I never thought we'd live to see the day Ken Ichijouji and Cody Hida finally come to an understanding." Said Davis in a sarcastic tone. "But here they are… laying on the ground, having literally kissed and made up." Said TK, winking at them. "To think that they actually made a positive out of a negative." Said Yolie, astounded. "It official now. You two are the newest couple in the Digidestined collective." Kari stated with pride.

She was right. Each Digidestined, young and old, had come to attain a beloved with whom they could just be. Matt with Tai, Joe with Izzy, Mimi with Sora, Davis with TK, Kari with Yolie, and now Ken with Cody."The spectrum's complete!" Proclaimed Davis. Ken and Cody, who now felt a little embarrassed, felt compelled to run and hide. But that soon passed. They accepted that they both were now part of something so great that it was beyond description. It felt gratifying.

They both stood up and walked over to join the others. "I guess we hadn't noticed that you'd gone off and hid." Said Ken. "Total procedure!" Said Kari. "You see two people finding a love for each other, you leave 'em alone until the big moment." Said Yolie. "The big moment?" Asked Cody, "Yes, the moment where they throw everything aside and go for what their hearts cry out for - each other." Explained Davis. "It's always wonderful to watch a love unfold. Especially between people who used to be enemies. It shows that even the worst of adversaries can eventually become an inseparable entity." Said TK.

"So give us a kiss already! Seal your love for each other and call it fate." Said Armadillomon from below with a glint in his eye. Cody happily hopped up onto Ken and latched his arms and legs around him. The Digidestined watched with joy as Ken and Cody drew in for a great kiss of consummation. And as their lips met, they all gave another loud, long cheer. And behind the gleeful musings of the other Digidestined, Ken and Cody looked each other deep in the eyes as their lips parted.

Everything would be all right now. No more fear, no more hiding, no more loneliness. Ken had finally found what he'd longed for all his life. And for one fleeting moment, the memory of his brother's death didn't hurt anymore. Ken was now at peace, and found the beloved he'd known he always needed. He wrapped his arms around Cody and they embraced in serenity. Two hearts now united as one.

If you ask me to…

I just might give my heart, and stay here in your arms forever.

If you ask me to…

I just might change my mind, and let you in my life forever.

If you ask me to…

If you ask me to.

THE END