Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ A Lesson in Life ❯ Breaking Up ... But Gaining Something In Return ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]






Aww. This just makes me feel good knowing that people are actually enjoying my fic. ^_^



***


Chapter 4: Breaking Up … But Gaining Something In Return





“I’m so nervous.”


“Don’t be.”


Rika turned to face the source of the voice, a look of disbelief invading her expression.


“That’s easy for you to say, Takato.” She said, “You’re not breaking up with him.”


Takato let out a chuckle.


“And thank God for that.”


He grinned down at the redhead, while the two made their way to school.


Instead of going to Ryo’s house, Rika had went strait to Takato’s house, where she had met up with, not only Takato, but Henry, Alice, and Jeri. As the group of five continued to make their way towards West Shinjuku High, Rika could feel her stomach lurch with nervousness. She felt as though she were going to throw up.


Once they arrived, they headed towards the benches, ignoring the whispers coming from fellow classmates, such as:


“Is that Rika?”


“What is she doing with those losers? Has she lost her mind?”


“Uh oh! Wait until Ryo sees this! He’s gonna be pissed!”


“Maybe they’ll break up!”


“I hope so. That fucking bitch doesn’t deserve someone as hot as Ryo. Everyone knows I’m much prettier than Rika Nonaka!”


“Ha! You wish, Sharrie!”


“Screw off, Katie!”


“Just ignore them.” said Takato, noticing that Rika was looking around with a worried expression plastered clearly on her face.


Rika!” A loud, angry voice bellowed, “What the fuck are you doing with that freak?”


Rika closed her eyes tightly before reopening them and turning to face Ryo, who had Kazu and Kenta standing on either side of him with bewildered looks on their faces.


“His name is Takato, Ryo, and he is not a freak. He’s my friend.” Rika told him firmly.


“He’s not your friend!” snapped Ryo, “I choose who your friends are!”


“No. You don’t,” said Rika, “Not anymore. It’s my life. I’ll choose my friends. Not you.”


Her eyes flashed with anger as she strolled up to Ryo. Takato followed closely behind, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.


“For two years,” she hissed, “For two fucking years, I have let you control my life. I let you choose my friends, I let you choose what I wore, I let you call me names, I let you abuse me, and I even let you tell me what I like!” She clenched her fists together in anger before continuing, “Not anymore, though. It stops right now. From now on, I will choose my friends, I will like what I want, and you want to know something else? I like Digimon! Yeah, that’s right! Rika Nonaka likes Digimon! And guess what? I’ve been secretly collecting the cards, playing the game, and watching the show behind your back! Why? Because I was afraid of you.”


She paused, inhaling deeply before continuing, “But I’m not afraid of you anymore. We’re through, plain and simple.”


Ryo, along with the crowd surrounding them, stared at Rika with their jaws dropped. However, Ryo was quick to recover from shock, and glared at the fuming redhead in front of him.


“You’re breaking up with me?” he questioned.


“Yes.”


“Fine! Have it your way then, bitch! I don’t need you! I’ve never needed you! Never! You’ll be sorry for making this decision, Rika! You are nothing without me!” Ryo yelled.


“I wasn’t anything with you to begin with.” Rika shot back.


Ryo glared and raised his hand to slap her, but Takato caught his wrist.


“Don’t you ever lay a hand on her again, Akiyama!” He warned.


“I don’t have to listen to you.” Ryo growled.


He tore his wrist out of Takato’s grasp and stepped back.


“You’ll pay for this, Matsuki.” He threatened, “YOU’LL PAY FOR THIS!”

“Ooh, I’m so scared. I’m practically shaking in my sneakers.” retorted Takato, with sarcasm dripping in his tone.


Ryo glared once again before whirling around and storming away. The crowd soon drifted away until only Takato, Rika, Alice, Jeri, and Henry were left.


Rika sighed in relief and turned to face Takato.


“You were awesome.” He told her, smiling.


“I couldn’t have done it without you.” She confessed, her cheeks burning a light shade of pink.


Ring! Ring! Ring!


“Well, there’s the bell. See you guys later!” said Henry, kissing Alice on the cheek before racing into the school.


“So, how does it feel to no longer be Ryo’s girlfriend?” asked Alice.


“Weird.” answered Rika, “But in a good way.”


Alice laughed.


“C’mon, guys,” giggled Jeri, as she skipped her way into the school, while the others exchanged grins before following closely behind.



***


During lunch, Rika sat at the corner of the cafeteria with Takato, Henry, Alice, Jeri, and a few other people who Rika recognized but couldn’t remember their names. It felt strange sitting in the corner instead of the middle, with all of her old ‘friends’. Ryo had apparently already gotten over Rika, and was now sitting in the center of the cafeteria with his arm around Rika’s former best friend, Sharrie Williams. Of course, Ryo had chosen Sharrie as Rika’s best friend; if it had been her choice, she would’ve chosen Alice or Jeri as her best friend before she’d ever chosen Sharrie.


Sharrie was the kind f girl who had an annoying, preppy voice that made a lot (okay, everyone) of people irritated with her. She was also a huge slut. She wore extremely revealing outfits, and bragged about how she slept with so-and-so, and was usually found flirting with Ryo or any other hot guy in the school. It was annoying, needless to say, and Rika was glad that she no longer had to sit between Ryo and Sharrie during lunch.


“Do you miss them?” Jeri asked.


Rika’s gaze snapped back towards the auburn-haired girl sitting beside her, and she stared, horrified.


“Are you kidding?” She said, “Of course I don’t miss them!”


“Well, that’s a relief.” sighed Alice, before she shook her head and stared at Rika, “I still can’t believe you beat me yesterday!”


“Well, believe it,” said Rika, grinning at the blonde.


“I now proclaim Rika as the Digimon Queen.” laughed Takato.


“Ooh, good title.” giggled Jeri.


“Oh, shut it, Gogglehead.” snapped Rika, but there was a hint of amusement in her voice.


“I can hardly believe it,” sighed Henry, “They barely know each other and already they’ve given each other nicknames.”


“Jealous?” questioned Alice, “Is my Henwy upset that he doesn’t have a nickname?”


Henry cringed when Alice called him ‘Henwy’, remembering how Suzie used to call him that before she could pronounce his name correctly.


“But Alice,” said Rika, “He does have a nickname. Braniac.”


“What about us?” asked Jeri.


“You want nicknames? I’ll give you nicknames. Blondie and Puppet Girl.” laughed Rika.


“How original.”


“It is, isn’t it?”


“I was being sarcastic!”


“I know that, Blondie.”


The two girls burst into a fit of laughter, ignoring the confused expressions that crossed Takato, Henry, and Jeri’s faces.


“Hey, I’m going have the house all to myself after school,” said Alice, “Does anyone want to come over and watch movies?”


“Sure!” replied Jeri.


“Sounds fun,” said Rika, smiling as she rested her chin in the palm of her hand.


Henry and Takato merely nodded in reply, but Alice knew they meant yes.


***


*Sniff* *Sniff* *Sob* *Cries hysterically*. Oh my God, I just watched the movie “Pay It Forward”, and I swear, every time I watch that movie, I end up in tears. It’s so sad! *Continues crying*


Well, I hope you enjoyed that chapter! I apologize if it sucked.


~Miranda~


Converting /tmp/phpS3GUU6 to /dev/stdout