Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ A New Face Among Many ❯ The Mouse Is In The House ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A New Face Among Many - Chapter 2: The Mouse Is In The House

Wait a minute ... Izzy was sitting at his computer as usual, although all was not right in his domain. Some new lines of code were being introduced into his Unix server. "A hacker, but who, and why?" Never being one to turn down a challenge, Izzy decided to locate this person.

By tapping into the phone company's database it was Izzy's intention to find the general location of the net connection.

Three hours and what have I found? Izzy was walking down a street checking and double-checking the address of the connection. He had just passed a public phone book when he decided to try a new track. Izzy took out his cell phone and dialed the phone number in the ISP and telephone companies' databases.

*Ring*

The sudden ringing of the pay phone behind Izzy startled him. Comparing the number of the phone against the number on his computer screen Izzy realized he had been had.

Whoever this hacker is they're no fool.

* * *

"…It's happened too many times to be coincidence, Yolei. The pattern this person had developed indicates that one of those two phones will be used."

Izzy had tracked many different IP signatures and each one had led to different public phones. One was even out-of-order and had been visibly re-wired. A map posted on a bulletin board above Izzy's computer had assorted colors of thumbtacks pinned in a rough circular pattern around an apartment building. Ten locations in total. Another two areas had been circled in marker.

"Izzy. The rest of your friends are here."

"Thanks, mom."

Izzy had invited the younger Digidestined over to see if they could help him solve this problem. He had sent them an e-mail apprising them of the situation so he wouldn't have to explain it when they got to his home. Yolei had been the first to arrive, and Davis, TK and Kari filed into Izzy's room.

TK and Kari took a seat on Izzy's bed, while Davis stood beside Izzy and his computer. Yolei was on the other side of the room at Izzy's server console.

"What's the map for Izzy, and why is there a circle around Ken's apartment building?"

"Davis, do you know anyone besides Ken who lives in that building?"

"Gee, Izzy, I'm not sure…"

"What about the girl Ken introduced us to? Her name was Reliana, wasn't it?" TK pulled Kari closer, ignoring the black look he got from Davis.

"That's her, isn't it?" Davis was pointing to Izzy's laptop computer screen.

Each half of the monitor displayed a view from a phone booth. The girl in question was approaching one with a laptop in her hands.

"Just because she lives in that building don't it mean it's her." Kari's line of reasoning was sound, but no one was listening.

Izzy switched on a set of speakers and was listening intently to the sounds accompanying Reliana's movements.

* * *

Startled, Reliana turned to look behind her. For some reason she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched.

* * *

Izzy was watching Reliana closely. Her hands were quick and sure over the keyboard and she moved with the grace of a soccer player.

"Izzy, I think you'd better take a look at this." Yolei had been watching another monitor on the other side of the room. Strange lines of code were inserting themselves through Izzy's Unix server and the results could plainly be seen on the server's monitor.


"What is it, Yolei?" Izzy turned just in time to see a mouse-like image appear on the server's monitor.

* * *

"Sorry, Izzy, but no one forbids the Mouse anything and gets away with it. Good thing I got KillSwitch from Firewall before I left." Reliana inserted a disc into her laptop.

* * *

"NO!!!!!" Izzy dove for his cable modem with every intention of pulling the plug. Just as he reached the cable connecter the server monitor flickered and went black. The orange light that indicated hard drive activity went dark also.

"Too late, Izzy." Yolei had gone pale. This was the first time she had seen KillSwitch in action and was surprised by the virus' effectiveness.

"I'll kill her." Izzy was in a rage. He had just enough time to glance at Reliana's image on his laptop screen before it too went black." She will not get way with this."