Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ As Long As She's Happy ❯ Soul of Friendship, Soul of courage, Heart of love. ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3.

Soul of Friendship, Soul of courage, Heart of love.

"All you need is love." - John Lennon.

(1 month later.)

Davis Miyomoto sat in his wheelchair, and watched with joy as the first snow of winter started to fall outside his window. The swirling whiteness replacing the rain that had poured until just over a week ago, tiny star- fragments against the dark of the sky. It was early November, and the weather had been haywire for months. The cold had been building up to this snowfall for weeks, the lake in the park was frozen over, and only a fool went out without being wrapped up like Mummymon.

Davis was startled out of his reverie by a knock at the door. He hesitated, not wanting to move from his position.

The knock came again, more insistent this time. He sighed, and manoeuvred his chair around.

"Alright, I'm coming! I am a cripple, my legs are broken and weak!" he called good-naturedly.

He wheeled himself into the hallway, and rolled to the door. He opened it to see Kari standing there, Gatomon at her side. He had been mildly surprised to discover that Kari was living down the hall from his mother, but life was full of surprises. She was giving him a strange look.

"Why did you shout that?"

Davis looked embarrassed.

"Umm, I've been watching Monty Python for the past couple of weeks."

She laughed.

"Whatever. You wanna come down to the park? The snows going to settle, and I wanna be out there in it."

Davis smiled.

"Sure, just let me get my crutches, I can't very well go in this thing." He tapped his chair. "C'mon in."

He rolled into his room and pulled on his jacket, tucking a scarf under the neckline, and levered himself up onto his crutches. Only one of his legs was still in plaster, but the other one was till weak and needed support. The doctor had told him to rest them both as much as possible, and to use the chair when he was at home. He swung back out into the hall. Kari stood up from where she had been seated.

"Ready?" He nodded.

"Then Lets go man!" her excitement made him smile. He opened the door for her.

"After you ma'am."

She gave him a mocking curtsey.

"Thank you sir." She giggled.

He followed her down the corridor and into the lift.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- ----------------------------

As Kari stepped out onto the sidewalk the blast of cold air hit her in the face, Gatomon leapt onto her shoulder, and huddled up close. She was glad of Davis's company, even if he wasn't as much of a conversationalist as he used to be. She looked across at him, and noticed that he had the goggles he had inherited from Tai up on his head. He caught her looking and grinned.

"It's a nice night isn't it?"

"It's bloody freezing!"

"Snow tends to do that Kari. If the snow was warm, it would still be called rain." Davis spoke as if to a kindergartener.

"Shut up." Davis realised that Kari didn't have a scarf on. He hastily pulled off his own and passed it to her. She accepted it with a smile.

"Thanks."

He smiled back and they started down the road to the park. Veemon and Gatomon hung behind to talk, there fur taking away the bite of winter. Gatomon looked at Davis and spoke in a hushed tone so that the two Digidestined wouldn't hear them talking.

"He still likes her, doesn't he." It was a statement, not a question, but Veemon nodded anyway.

"However did you guess? Was it the fact that he makes it blatantly obvious he likes being around her, or the fact that he gets that little smile on his face whenever he sees that she's happy?"

The blue Digimon looked at his companion. Gatomon realised the he was waiting for an answer. She shrugged.

"It's probably the fact that he seems to want to do whatever he can to make her happy. I don't think I've ever seen a guy like him. Except maybe for TK, but then I've known him, and Patomon for a long time. Patomon's got to be my best friend in the world."

She noticed a small smile on Veemon's face. He spoke quietly.

"You know, for a long time I felt that way about you. That was why Davis wanted me to evolve to champion level in the first place, so we could impress you guys. And. what are you staring at?"

Gatomon held her wide-eyed gaze on Veemon's face.

"You liked me? I mean, really?" Veemon nodded. "And. how about now?"

The blue skinned Digimon smirked.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" He leapt ahead to catch up with the two figures, leaving Gatomon open mouthed in the snow. The cat-Digimon shook herself, and then took off after him.

"Hey, wait up!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- ----------------------------

The two figures walked into the snow-covered park, a thick white carpet spread out before them.

Davis turned to speak to Kari, and caught a snowball full in the face. Kari grinned at him mischievously.

"You should have better reactions mister big-shot soccer player." She said.

Davis grinned at her.

"You try playing soccer in crutches. It ain't exactly easy!"

She turned away. He saw a momentary glimpse of sadness on her face. She looked sideways at him.

"Davis?"

"Yeah?"

"Why did you leave the dance early that evening? And don't tell me it was just to give Yolei a lift."

He looked at her, and saw that she wanted the truth. He turned and swung a few paces before looking back.

"You want the truth? I was bored. I was doing absolutely nothing at that dance, so I decided to go home. I gave Yolei a lift because Ken was out of his skull, and talking to pot-plants."

Kari frowned.

"You're lying Davis." She turned and stalked away. Gatomon and Veemon exchanged a look and followed her. Davis cursed under his breath.

"Kari!" He swung along to catch up with her. She ignored him.

"Kari, just talk to me. She was walking fast, and his crutch suddenly slipped on a patch of ice. He fell onto his stiff leg.

"Shit!"

Kari turned and dashed back to him. She bent down and helped him to his feet.

"Are you okay?" he nodded, and grimaced at the bolt of pain that shot up his leg as it straightened. He stooped to retrieve his crutch. Then he looked up at her again.

"Look, I'm sorry."

She stopped him.

"No. If you don't want to tell me, it's not my place to make you" She smiled "and I'm not that sure I want to know anyway."

They started walking again.

"So what do you want to do?"

"I think I'll go ice-skating. The lakes frozen solid, and TK said he'd be there."

Davis frowned.

"Don't you think skates would be a good idea?" he asked. She gave him a sarcastic look.

"You DON'T say? The fact that the rental stalls have already been set up has nothing to do with it?"

Davis held up his hands.

"Okay, okay."

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- ----------------------------

They arrived at the lake, and spotted TK almost immediately.

He blazed down the lake, his skates cutting an intricate pattern in the ice, curves and spirals left in his wake, as he spun and twisted along the frozen surface. He spotted them, and glided over, Patomon clinging to his head for dear life. As TK skipped onto the snow next to them, his Digimon shakily took off from his head and alighted next to Veemon and Gatomon. Davis looked at the three Digimon.

"Patomon looks like he's gonna throw up."

TK glanced at his small companion.

"I don't think he's the skating type."

He turned to his girlfriend, and kissed her full on the lips. Davis turned away as a pang of Jealousy spiked through his stomach. Only Gatomon noticed, and when he caught her eye, she immediately felt guilty for paying such close attention. Kari finally broke away, with a self-conscious look at Davis, who was still looking at the Digimon, his eyes downcast.

"I'm gonna go skating."

She walked over to the rental booth, and got herself a pair of skates. She tied the laces over her shoes, and stepped out onto the ice. Davis and TK sat on a bench at the side of the lake and watched her. She moved more slowly than TK, and her graceful movements sent her hair flowing out behind her. She pirouetted on the ice, and weaved between the people around her, who all seemed to part as she came near to them, entranced by this figure of beauty who glided among them. Davis realised, for the first time, that he was madly, head-over-heels, in love with Kari. And she was in love with the guy sitting next to him. He stood up. TK looked up at him.

"Where are you going?"

"To get some food, I haven't eaten all day." His tone was a cold as the weather around them, and TK suddenly felt the bite of the snow against his cheek.

"Are you okay, Davis?"

Davis grinned apologetically.

"Yeah, I just need food. Back in a minute."

He made his way through the crowds to the burger stand that stood on the other side of the lake. He watched Kari skating as he went, and was so engrossed in her skating that he didn't see the figure he bumped into.

"Hey, watch it!"

"Yolei!" His friends eyes widened in surprise as she recognised him.

"Davis! How are you? I haven't seen you in ages! Your out of your chair!"

Davis's grin grew wider at her outburst.

"It has been a while, hasn't it? I'm here with Kari and TK. I just came to get some food. You want anything? Is Ken here?"

Yolei's face grew darker at Ken's name. Davis frowned.

"Have you two fallen out?"

Yolei nodded.

"He's an asshole! He wouldn't take me to his cabin with him this Christmas, cos his parents are going. What a lame excuse."

Davis raised an eyebrow.

"Your telling me that you had a fight with him over that? You two are perfect for each other, don't throw it away over something like this. For your information, he is taking his parents, and his cabin is very small. Not so much a cabin as a garden shed."

Yolei looked up in surprise.

"You think we're perfect for each other?"

"Yeah. You're both geeks of the first degree."

She cuffed him over the head.

"Thanks a lot buddy. Let's get something to eat."

They turned to order at the counter, but then a scream burst out across the ice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- ----------------------------

Kari spun across the ice, with her short hair flowing out behind her, as she forgot all of her problems in the joy of movement. She pushed TK and Davis from her mind, and just skated across the frozen surface of the lake. She momentarily saw Davis working his way across to the food stall on his crutches, and then she was moving again, her skates carving up the ice in her wake.

She spotted Davis again, and then she saw that he had bumped into Yolei, and they were talking animatedly about something. She was so confident, that she watched them as she moved, not really concentrating on where she was going. She never saw the sign that was stuck into the ice.

"WARNING: THIN ICE"

She hit the sign at full speed, falling over it, and skidding across the treacherous area of the lake.

She came to rest on her back, looking up into the night sky above. The breath knocked out of her she heard laughter from the other people on the lake, and she grinned at them. She used her hands to push herself up, then heard a cracking sound. She looked down, and a wave of fear swept through her as a myriad of spider web cracks started out from under her palms.

She screamed as the Ice collapsed under her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- ----------------------------

Davis turned like lightening on his crutches, just in time to see Kari's form disappear under the ice. He rushed forward like a man possessed. But stopped just short of the thin ice. On the other side of the lake TK leapt onto the ice and started skating towards them, but Davis knew he wouldn't make it in time. He looked around, and spotted the fire hose that was at the side of the buildings.

"Yolei!" he called. She ran down the slope towards him as he pulled out the end of the hose and wrapped it around his waist. He turned to her.

"Get as many people as possible to pull us back as soon as I've got Kari."

Yolei looked at him in shock.

"Davis, don't you do what I think you're."

But her words were lost in the wind as Davis launched himself onto the ice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- ----------------------------

Davis slid along the ice, gathering speed. As he got closer to Kari he felt the ice shattering under him, but he kept going. The ice broke under him, God it was cold!

He could see Kari ahead of him, struggling to stay afloat, but every moment her struggles got weaker and weaker. He tried to swim towards her, the cast weighing him down, his other leg stiff. Still he struggled towards her, trying desperately to keep his head above water. He was little more than a yard away from her, when he felt a sudden resistance.

The fire hose.

He looked at Kari; her back was turned to him as she struggled weakly to stay above the water, and his hand rose to his chest. He heard Yolei's voice from the shore.

"Davis, DON'T!!!!"

He started to undo the knot of the hose. Pulling at it, ignoring the pain as his cast got heavier and heavier, he tugged at the knot, his determination increasing as he watched Kari struggling.

On the chain around his neck, his D3 started to glow.

Davis pulled the hose free with on last tug, and called out to Kari.

"HANG ON KARI!"

She turned to him and he held the hose with one hand, and reached out to her with the other. still too far!

The glow inside his shirt got more intense, lighting up the water beneath him.

Kari started to slip under the water, her energy fading with the biting cold. Their eyes locked, and she shook her head slightly.

The heat inside Davis's shirt kept him warm. She was his friend, he was in love with her, HE COULD NOT LET HER DIE.

Davis let go of the hose, and struck out through the last yard to Kari, just as her eyes closed, and she went under. He dived, his stiff leg sending shooting pains up his body, and in the light that permeated the water, he grabbed her still form, pulling her upwards.

He broke the surface, and grabbed the floating hose, both of them gasping for breath.

On the bank, Yolei and all the people she had gathered started to pull the hose.

Kari's breathing was shallow, gasping small gulps, her eyes closed. Davis pulled with all his strength on the hose, whilst he watched TK and Yolei pull them in.

The heat that the D3 was giving out was so intense, Davis thought it might set fire to his clothes, water or no, but instead it galvanised him with a new strength, his leg loosening up, healing, but his cast leg staying the same hidden from the healing light.

They reached the shore, and TK and Yolei ran down the bank to help them up.

Kari was still unconscious. Davis looked up at TK.

"We need to get her somewhere warm."

The other Digidestined nodded. They looked around, then Davis spotted a familiar face running towards them through the crowd.

Liam Dillon, the Irish owner of the bar where Davis worked, ran to them and spoke in his accented voice.

"We'd better get her to the pub, now!"

He picked Kari up in his huge arms and they all moved as fast as they could towards the bar.

They burst through the door, and Davis shouted out,

"Is there a doctor here?"

June, recognising her brother's voice, stood up from beside the fire. She saw the bundle Liam carried, and rushed over.

"On the table, NOW!!" she shouted.

Liam placed Kari gently on the table, and ushered everyone out of the bar.

June shouted orders at everyone.

"Liam, call an ambulance, use my name. TK, Yolei, you go fetch Tai; he's down helping out at the skate stand. Davis you're gonna help me in CPR. You remember how I showed you?" Davis nodded. "All of you MOVE!"

TK and Yolei bundled out of the door, and ran towards the skate stand.

Davis swung himself over to where TK lay, as June lent over her and listened to her heart.

"She's going into hypothermic shock. You breathe into her, I'm going to massage her heart."

Liam shouted from the pub office.

"Ambulance is coming."

June nodded. But she still placed her hands over Kari's heart. Davis paused. June looked up.

"That ambulance will be too late if we don't get her breathing again. Get MOVING Davis!"

Davis got himself into position. June pumped her hands down on Kari's chest. Once, twice, ten times. She looked up.

"Now Davis."

He lent over Kari, prising her cold lips apart, and breathed into her mouth, once twice.

They repeated this, Davis breathing into Kari's still lungs, June pumping her heart by hand. Liam watched, knowing that there was nothing he could do to help, he would only get in the way.

June and Davis didn't stop when Tai, Yolei and TK Fell through the door, their Digimon at their heels, Veemon and Hawkmon included. Kari's brother and boyfriend dashed forward, but Liam held them back, restraining TK with one muscular arm.

"Let me go!" The young man shouted. Liam didn't relax his grip.

"Let them work boy. They know what their doing, we'll only get in the way."

Davis and June carried on with their CPR, Trying to make Kari's still lungs rise again. But finally, June put her hand on her brother's arm. There were tears in her eyes as she shook her head.

"She's gone Davis."

TK and Tai both collapsed to the floor, their heads lolling forward in shock.

June started to lead Davis away, but he paused as he heard something clatter to the floor. He turned back.

Kari's D3 lay on the floor underneath the table. Davis ducked under June's arm and picked it up. The small Digivice looked dead, except.

Except for the small green light, that flickered over the screen. Davis looked at Kari's still form, but June tried to pull him away again.

"NO!" Davis wrenched his arm out of her grip, and went back to Kari. He placed his hands over her heart, and started pumping. 1.2.3.

'Just like June showed me.' He thought

4.5.6

'Come on Kari'

7.8.9

"COME ON!"

10! Breathe

Davis leant over her mouth again, and breathed into her still lungs.

"Come on Kari, come on!" he shouted, resuming his pumping, talking in time to the motions.

"Come on, BREATHE, GODDAMMIT!!" He leant over her and breathed into her again.

'Start again man, c'mon!' his mind raced, he wasn't even aware of himself speaking.

"You - never - gave - up - on - me!" Breathe. "Don't - you - dare - fucking - give - up - now!" Breathe. He started over

Davis's D3 started to glow again, a different colour this time, a deep crimson, the colour of friendship.

"Come - on - Kari - just - fucking - BREATHE!"

'Give her breath, c'mon Davis.'

Liam was still holding the others back, the big Irishman sensing that what Davis was doing was right.

The glow from Davis's Digivice permeated his form, casting red light over Kari's body.

"JUST - BREATHE!"

Kari's eyes snapped open, ans she drew in a deep, shuddering gasping breath, and She was alive!

June rushed forward, as both Tai and TK looked up in amazement. June held Kari's wrist. Checking her pulse. Davis collapsed back onto the floor, as if he had fainted. But he was laughing, a cry of pure joy erupting from his lungs

SHE WAS ALIVE!!!!

He didn't even register as the ambulance pulled up outside. A paramedic, with a broad grin on his own face, bent over him.

"Are you okay?"

"I will be if you help me up." Davis held out his arm, and the paramedic helped him to his feet, handing him his crutches as he did so. He looked around. TK was standing with Kari, looking down at her. The paramedic team had lifted her onto a stretcher and covered her face with a breathing apparatus. Davis thought she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Yolei gave Gatomon a boost into the ambulance out the front, and June got in at Kari's head. As a fully qualified nurse, she wanted to make sure Kari got the best treatment the hospital could offer. The paramedics turned to the small group of Digidestined.

"There's room for one more?" he asked questioningly. Davis looked at TK.

"Go on. She needs you." He said.

TK didn't say anything, just nodded and got into the back of the vehicle. The paramedics closed the doors and the ambulance sped away, sirens wailing.

The three Digidestined turned and walked back into the pub. Davis glanced at the clock. It had only been about twenty minutes since the ice had first cracked beneath Kari. As they walked in, Liam was back behind the bar.

"I think you guys all need a drink. What'll it be?"

Davis, Tai and Yolei sat down at the bar.

"Just coffee thanks Liam."

The Big Irishman snorted.

"Jesus Davis, It'll be best Brandy you're asking for next." He handed Davis a thermos that he took form under the counter. Davis took a gulp and winced as the taste hit his throat. Liam put a hand on his back.

"Best Brandy, me young friend. All of you have a tot, and I'll make that coffee for you."

Davis took another gulp, then turned to hand the flask to Tai. He stopped when he noticed the other man looking at him with tears in his eyes. His eyes widened in shock, as Tai leant over and wrapped him in a bear hug. His tears flowed freely down Davis's back.

"Thank you Davis, I can never repay you for what you did tonight."

He choked up, and then Davis started crying as well, the tension of the evening pouring out in a flood of tears. It was when Yolei and the Digimon joined in as well that Liam, working in the kitchen, smiled as the stress left his three young friends in the oldest form of friendship known, tears of joy, and hearts of love.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- ---------------------------