Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Be Brave Daisuke ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Daisuke sighed as Hikari wrapped her hand in his. He was too depressed to even care. Kari tugged on his hand to get his attention, slowly he turned to face her.

"What's wrong?" his girlfriend questioned. His girlfriend ha, just some poor excuse, a cover.

"It's nothing Hikari," he told her in a desolate voice.

"Daisuke, don't lie to me. I can tell something's bothering you. Let me help you, please.

"Hikari, there's nothing, it's just hard to talk about."

"Then start slowly, what's depressing you?"

"My crest," Daisuke said after a minute, deciding that was the best way to describe it.

"Your crest," she turned that over in her head, at first confused by his words. They had been out of the digital world for years now. "Why? What don't you have the courage for?"

"There's this thing I want so badly to do, but I'm to scared to do it. It would fix everything, but if I don't do it right and not finish it, it would make everything worse. That's why I'm so scared to do it. I'd probably only make things worse."

"Daisuke, you shouldn't look down on your self so much. Does it have something to do with Ken?" Daisuke jumped at the name, the name that symbolized both his salvation and destruction.

"How did you know?" Daisuke asked trailing off at the end of his sentence. Hikari was just too smart.

"I know you're in love him Dai, I don't know how I do, but I do."

"You're not mad?" Daisuke asked in a wondering tone.

"Of course not, I love you like a brother more then anything. Even if I did just realize it the other day. But Daisuke, you should do it. Do anything if there's even the slightest chance you might feel better. I hate seeing you so depressed."

"Do you really think I should?" Daisuke asked her, knowing deep down that Hikari wasn't as smart as she seemed.

"Yes," Hikari said firmly. She released his hand and kissed his cheek. "I have to go home, it's almost dinner time. Be brave Daisuke, like I know you are."

'Be brave,' the words echoed in his head. Hikari had faith in him. In only a certain other did. If only he had faith in himself. Maybe then he would think of a different possibility, but in ways of the heart there are never many choices.

He went home, his heart lighter then it had been in weeks and prepared to go through with his chosen task.

*~&~

Hikari was about to go to bed, feeling rather happy that she had been able to help Daisuke when something on the TV caught her attention. Her dad and older brother were watching the late night news. She stood behind Tai where he was sitting on the couch and stared fixedly at the bright screen.

"This evening around seven o'clock Motomiya Daisuke killed himself his father's gun."

Hikari didn't hear anymore of the news report. She fell to her knees on the ground with a muffled thud and began sobbing. She was such an idiot. She should have known Daisuke hadn't been talking about asking Ken out. She was supposed to be the smart one, the one who understood the others feelings.

How could she have been so wrong?

The end.