Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Brothers ❯ Cold Dread ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blood Brothers Part Five - Cold Dread
Ken and Davis gaped in awe as they got a good look at the two towering mega-digimon. Imperialdramon looked a lot like Paildramon, except that Imperialdramon stood on four paws, and had teeth that looked capable of biting through a control spire n one snap.
The air above the two Digi-Destined seemed to ripple with raw power as energy gathered in the huge cannon mounted on Imperialdramon's back. It's barrel glowed for just a second before an immense blast was sent careening towards Megainfamon.
"POSITRON LASER!"
Megainfamon staggered back, almost crashing into one of the burn-scarred metallic walls, but the dark Digimon recovered quickly, and hit back with another attack. His crocodile jaws opened wide and his red eyes glittered with evil intent as he fired his attack.
"PERFECT DARKNESS!" A bolt of black light gathered in his mouth and blasted towards Imparialdramon, sending the DNA Digimon crashing into the wall. The whole building shook with the impact. Ken's head snapped around as he felt a hand clamp on his arm.
"C'mon Ken! We gotta get outta here before we get turned into pancakes!"
Ken made no protest as his 'brother' dragged him into the dubious protection of a large metal alcove. Ken's violet eyes remained fixed on the battle raging above them. Davis peered around the corner.
"What gives?" Davis asked in confusion, "That guy should've been toast by now - but he's barely got a scratch on him!"
Ken's eyes flicked towards the power amplifier. It was still glowing, indicating it was still feeding energy to Infamon.
"You have to disable Infamon's power supply - or our attacks don't do any good!" Imperialdramon's oddly doubled voice rang out through the smoke and chaos.
"We should get the others out of that prison too." Davis added.
"Right," Ken agreed, "I'll go see if I can disable that machinery, why don't you find the others?"
"Sure thing," Davis agreed, adjusting his goggles.
Ken paused for a second, "Hey, where's Dreadmon?"
"He better hope I don't get hold of him!" Davis said, as his flame-patterned jacket disappeared into the smoke, Ken took a deep breath and followed him deeper into the base.

The air was cold and sterile in the engine room, every surface was matt white or shiny chrome, occasionally broken with monitors or keypads. Ken shivered, not only because an air vent was blowing cold air right down his back, but also because he felt nervous. Dreadmon's sudden disappearance worried at him. While Infamon had a lot of raw strength, Ken knew that Imperialdramon could hold him off. The threat that Dreadmon posed, was much more subtle. Dreadmon could tap into your innermost fears, using them to paralyse your will. Ken knew that if that were to happen to wither him or Davis, then they were finished. Without the power that flowed between them and their Digimon, Imperialdramon wouldn't have the strength to fight, and if fear were to disrupt the Digi-bond...then Imperialdramon would split back into Veemon and Wormmon...and if that happened...
Ken deliberately derailed that train of though, concentrating on the task at hand as he typed on the keyboard in front of him. His breathing came in short, heavy gasps, as if he had just run a marathon, and his heart pounded in his hears...
Wait...his heart? Or Davis'?
"Well, well, well," A voice hissed from the catwalk above him, "the Boy Emperor is turning on his loyal subjectssss." Dreadmon said. Ken gasped, knowing he was all alone, without the protection of his Digimon partner.
"Perhapssss we ssshhhall now ssssee what the Great Emperor fears most," Dreadmon chuckled, his soulless black eyes glittering in the sterile white lights above them.
"COLD DREAD..." Came the silbant whisper. Ken's mouth formed the word 'no but no sound came forth.

Several levels down, Davis had finally succeded in opening to door to the cell open using a combination of brute strength and guesswork. Davis quickly untied all his friends, starting with Kari. As soon as she was untied, she smiled and gave Davis a tiny peck on the cheek. Davis felt like he was going to faint right there on the spot, but some tiny part of him managed to remind him that he did have work to do, though he did complete his task with an ear-to-ear smile, with only got bigger when TK gave him a dark look. The Digi-Destined rushed to free their partners, Davis had a definite spring in his step and he hurried along with them, until he felt a sudden flash of...something. It came again, stronger this time, a lightning quick stab of pain. He stumbled, clutching at his head.
"N...no..." He gasped painfully.
"Davis, are you okay?" Tai asked, gripping the younger boy's shoulders.
"Ken..." Davis moaned, "I've gotta find Ken..."

The world dissolved as Ken saw visions from his past in full 3D, complete with surround sound. It was like re-living them again, but worse. These visions were overlaid wit a whole lifetime of pain, fear and self-loathing. All his worst memories were being played back to him. He saw death n the form of Wormmon and Sam...he saw and felt the pain he had inflicted on all those innocent Digimon...he witnessed the fear and agony he had caused those he now thought to be his closest friends. And all through it, he could hear laughter - the laughter of the Digimon Emperor, harsh, savage and unpitying laughter that erased his humanity.
Then, through the swirling, seething chaos of negative emotions, he felt a bright beacon of courage and friendship calling him. He could hear words, familiar words spoken in a warm, friendly voice.
"Don't walk away from your problems...let us help you..."
"You're strong enough to handle this..."
Those words reached out to him like a lifeline, and he grasped hold of the strength and courage he knew to be coming from his Blood Brother - from Davis.
Ken's eyes suddenly flicked open, filled with determination as he fixed Dreadmon with a stare that was as cold as Dreadmon's heart.
"You're not going to win that easily!"

The metal door burst open as the Digimon and their human partners rushed in. Pegasusmon and Nefertimon immediately went on the attack, driving the snake-like Digimon back.
"STAR SHOWER!"
"ROSETTA STONE!"
Dreadmon seemed to loose his nerve and fled back into the power chamber. Davis vaulted over the catwalk rail to check on his friend.
"Ken, you okay?" Davis asked.
"I'm fine," Ken replied, "I think it's time to shut Infamon and Dreadmon down!" Ken cried as he hit the last button, causing the blue-white light pulsing through the cables to stutter and die. There was a howl of fury from the next room that seemed to fade off into an unimaginable abyss.
When the digi-destined reached the chamber, they found only dust, debris and two in-training Digimon. Ken and Davis retrieved their Digimon from the rubble.
"You were awesome!" Davis congratulated his partner.
"Yeah," Demiveemon agreed, "But saving the world sure gives you an appetite!"

End of Part Five
Coming Soon - Part Six - A Brand New Day

There was a brief silence as dust settled on the floor of the huge chamber, broken when the other Digi-Destined rushed in a hail of stamping feet.
"Hey, where'd that other goon go?" Tai demanded belligerently. Minomon tiredly raised his head.
"He de-digivolved, then ran away." The little green 'mon replied from inside Ken's protective arms.
"He could cause trouble later on." Yolei said grimly as Aquilamon flew her over the rubble.
"He won't be a problem for us - right Ken?" Davis grinned at his 'Brother'. Ken peered out from under his veil of violet hair, and tentatively smiled back.
"Right." The bluenette almost whispered.
Matt surveyed the devastated base and shook his head.
"I don't think there's anymore we can do here...why don't we head on home?"
Sounds like an idea to me, buddy." Tai replied, laying and hand on the blonde's shoulder.
Davis grinned up at the older Digidestined, then back down at his partner...but when he looked down, he saw that Demiveemon was fast asleep.

**The Next Morning**
It was too early to be having a meeting, Davis thought as he hurried across the road to reach Izzy's house. Glancing down at his watch, he knew that he was already late.
"C'mon Davis, we're gonna be late!" Demiveemon scolded, his voice muffled by the material of the backpack he had been stuffed in. Davis just scowled and hurried up the stairs at top speed.
He finally arrived at the door, his face red with the exertion.
"Whoo, I'm never doing that again." He muttered to himself as Mrs Izumi let him inside. As he had thought they would be, Tai, Matt, Izzy, and all of the new Digi-Destined were sat in Izzy's room.
"Nice to see you Davis," Matt teased, "What kept you this time?"
"I made the mistake of mentioning your name to Jun," Davis replied dryly, "She wouldn't let go of me until I promised to get her your autograph."
They all laughed, Tai in particular almost bust a gut. Matt rewarded his best friend with an icy stare.
"As I was saying," Izzy interrupted in a vain attempt to call things to order, "I have a couple of theories as to what made Paildramon digivolve further..." But as the young computer genius whittered on, Davis began to realise that he couldn't understand half of what the red-head was saying. He began to scowl, Davis absolutely hated to feel stupid. But looking around the room, he saw total comprehension on only two faces - Yolei...and Ken.
Davis smiled suddenly as Ken subtly shifted his gaze to glance at him. Izzy could theorise all he wanted, but only Davis and Ken would ever know the real reason that Imperialdramon had come into being, and that was a bond that could never be broken.
Besides, Ken could explain it all to him...later.

THE END
By Skyblaze