Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Caribbean Diaries ❯ Caribbean Beginnings ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Digimon Puerto Rico Diaries

By: Qetzlcoatl

Digimon does not belong to me, it belongs to TOEI and Akiyoshi Hongo, and used without consent. Characters were created and developed by Shaun Garin and Qetzlcoatl. This series is part of Lord Archive's Diaries Universe. All rights reserved.

===================================================================

It was six in the evening on the last day of 1999 when Ricardo and his parents arrived at the door of a simple house. Ricardo’s mother rang the door bell.

Almost immediately the door swung open, revealing a big breasted, slim, long dark haired woman. She smiled widely and greeted them, “Mijita, it’s been weeks since I last saw you and your family. Come in, come in.”

Ricardo and his family entered his aunt's home. Latin music played in the back of the house. The TV was on and featured famous TV celebrities talking in Spanish about how everything was going to change after the clock struck twelve and it was the New Year. The dark haired woman, Marie, lead her extended family out to the back. Ricardo ran immediately to his cousin’s room. There he found his aunt's son, Derrick, and two best friends, Angela and Sonja, who, like the boys, were aged seven and nine respectively. They clamored at each other to hug and talk about the new toys they got for Christmas.

Marie took a peek through the door after the children settled and began playing. “Ricardo, I thought you got lost.” She smiled. “Derrick be a good son and bring your toys to the living room so you guys can be with the family.”

Derrick shook his head and picked up an armful of toys.

Moments later the door bell rang and more family members stepped through. Soon the house was packed with aunts and uncles, grandparents, and god parents. The music was turned up and everyone danced. The men were out back playing dominoes and drinking alcoholic beverages. The house was situated on the beach, where the ocean was only several steps away. The moon shone brightly in the sky making a reflection on the ocean that seemed as if it had a twin. The several women were dancing with their husbands while others were eating and gossiping about their lives. The children played with their new Christmas toys and bragged about the amounts of toys their parents bought them. Everything stayed that way until hours passed by and finally the host, Derrick’s father Luis, turned down the music and raised the televisions volume. The commentators were speaking Spanish, but any non native speaker could tell that it was time to celebrate the coming New Year.

“It is such a wonderful time to be here,” the commentator said in Spanish. “I remember last year I was here and how beautiful the city made their main street. This year is no different. The only difference is the new century we’re about to enter. And there’s only three minutes left until then.” The commentator was accompanied by other TV personalities and they too celebrated the New Year.

Derrick, Sonja, Angela, and Ricardo stood by their parents and watched as the counter on the lower right of the screen went down.

“Luis where are you going?” Marie asked her husband as he placed his cellular in his pocket. The two walked to the hallway where the door was located and talked.

“The company called. They said something’s wrong with the computers. Their calling all technicians to see the problem. They think it's either the Y2K bug or a major virus.” Luis grabbed the doorknob but his wife grabbed his bicep.

“Luis, the New Year is almost here and you’re leaving to go to work?” his wife complained.

He smiled sadly and kissed her. “If it was up to me I would be here every day and spend the rest of my days with my family. But someone has to keep this house up and running. I’m sorry mi amor.”

Marie let go of her husband and he left to his dirt bike. “Hurry back.” She whispered to herself.

Marie re-entered the house and passed everyone in the living room. It was two minutes left until 2000. She went out back and looked ahead out to the ocean. To the right was a cliff and on it was a building. There was where Puerto Rico connected to the giant satellites in the sky and took care of this half of the islands communications.

Ricardo’s mother went to her sister and stood behind her. Marie turned and smiled. Tears were in her eyes. Elsa, Ricardo’s mother, smiled back. The two knew what each other felt on the inside. Elsa beckoned her sister back inside to forget and enjoy the little time they had left with this year.

===================================================================

Luis started his bike after his wife went back into the house. He squeezed the throttle and drove of his driveway and into the street. His house was on an incline and had to accelerate hard. Several minutes later he made a left turn and into a dirt path that ascended. He continued a bit longer until he heard cheering and shouts all around him. He missed the start of the New Year. He quickly pushed the thought out of his head and continued until he came upon a tall fence gate that was open. He sped in. He pulled the brakes and skidded several feet before stopping. He got off his bike and began walking towards the tall building with a tall satellite dish on top.

A thunderous boom that was no firework shook the ground. He froze a moment and ran towards the building, and then another explosion occurred except it was the wall in front of him. He was blown backward into the grass. A giant shadow emerged from the hole. It seemed to be pink in color with green hair. It roared loudly.

Luis covered his ears and closed his eyes. What the hell is going on, he thought. The giant pink monster flung itself over the cliff. Behind him were several more shadows. One was flying with a staff, another was a small silver cat, next was a big black dog, and lastly a white four armed dog looking creature followed suit. They all went over the cliff face after the pink monster.

Luis recovered and ran to the cliff’s edge. He was joined by other workers who ran from inside the building. Below the pink monster was swinging its arms to get the flying monster away from it.

The black dog was firing purple flames from its mouth. The pink monster retracted into its shell. The four went into an attack frenzy against the giant monster. Luis ran back to his bike and started back for his house.

====================================================================

“Three, two, one. Happy New Years!” Everyone cheered and began hugging the person next to them.

Marie hugged her child. “I just want to let you know Derrick that I love you no matter what, even when you make me angry.” She kissed her son and looked out the back to see the building that her husband would be going to in order to fix whatever his job required him to do. But when she looked all she saw was a giant object falling from the building. Her eyes widened and stood quickly. She ran out of the house and out the back.

Elsa had finished hugging one of her cousins and began looking for her sister when she saw her run out the back. “Marie, where are you…” She paused to see what her sister was running to. There were objects falling from the satellite.

Derrick followed his mother outside along with his friends. The giant outline had sent big waves onto the beach. Marie’s face turned to fear. She feared something had happened to her husband.

Derrick ran to the beach to get a closer look. He strained to see out to the ocean and saw the dark figures attack the giant one. Sonja, Angela, and Ricardo followed him.

The larger of the dark figures tilted its top portion toward the smaller figures and water erupted from it. Two of the four were hit and disappeared. The water caused waves of massive size to erupt onto the beach. The children were caught in the powerful water, the ocean sucked them into its vastness.

The adults and other children ran to the porch when they heard Marie and Elsa scream. The men had to grab on to the women so they wouldn’t run out and sacrifice themselves. Several uncles and older cousins ran out to the beach to save the children but the figure had launched another water attack and caused waves to push back the men.

======================================================================== ============

Derrick had struggled to keep his head above water. He heard his cousin and friends gasping for air. The waves kept crashing over their heads. They were drawn nearer to the giant figure. It was pink with green seaweed on its head. The lower half of its body was inside a giant blue shell. In front of it was an angel. It had six shimmering wings and pure white clothing. It countered the shell monster's attacks. A small white creature flanked the shelled monster and launched fish at it; however, it didn’t affect it whatsoever. The pink giant looked at the tiny creature and slammed its fist at it. The creature was plunged into the sea.

Derrick looked around to see if he could see something he could get on. But when he looked behind him the sea pushed him under the water. There he saw Ricardo swim towards the creature. Derrick eyes widened. When Ricardo came near the thing it glowed then it increased in size, a force that knocked Ricardo back. Derrick was finally able to recover back to the surface when below the angel emerged a giant white walrus. It had white dangling fur and a horn on its head. The shell monster became angry and barraged the walrus. The attacks missed the white walrus and splashed into the water. Giant waves erupted from the attack and once again dunked the children’s head into the water. Under the water Derrick saw the angel move and a ray of light occurred blinding him. When he was able to see again the pink monster had disappeared.

Derrick struggled to swim back to the surface but the force of water forced him deeper into the depths. He finally expelled the carbon dioxide he was holding in and began drowning. His eyes began to close when something grabbed him. As he was being lifted he then felt soft wet white fur. He lost consciousness. When he awoke he was on the beach. He was still groggy and lifted his head. He saw people running toward him. His parents picked him up and hugged him. He was able to see over their shoulder and see his comrades also being comforted by their parents.

======================================================================== =======

Several hours go by and everyone was able to finally return home after the police department, fire department, and ambulance finished their jobs and left. Derrick was laid in his bed by his father and was kissed goodnight by both parents. He was still scared and anxious about the events that occurred. His parents stayed. When they were successful into comforting him they turned off the light and left.

Derrick was closing his eyes when he felt something, the anxiousness returned. He sat up in bed and rubbed his eyes. The feeling was in his heart. He didn’t know what it was. It was an intense feeling that forced him to get out of bed. It was a mixture of fear and excitement. He looked out his window and felt that this feeling had to do with something out there. He couldn’t explain what it was. He slipped on shoes and left out his window. He traveled to the palm tree woods that were near his house and found himself deep within where it was dark and the stars shone brightly in the sky. He was a good distance away from his house when he found light a little ways ahead. He approached it to find a shimmering slit in the air. It had a mysterious feeling emanating from it. Around the slit was digitized code and distortions. Derrick sub-consciously lifted his hand to touch the slit. The opening vibrated. He stopped short to find a giant egg exiting from it. It floated to Derrick before landing in his arms. The slit closed up and vanished before his eyes. He was able to find his way back home and reenter his room. He laid the egg in bed and laid next to it. He fell asleep.

======================================================================== ===========

Derrick’s eyes opened. At first he thought his was looking at his white wall with light reflecting off it. It was after several seconds when he remembered that his wall was blue. He opened his eyes wide to see a white blob floating in front of him. He covered his mouth right before he could scream. The blob opened its eyes. Derrick’s eyes widened some more. The blob shook and smiled at Derrick. He fell out of bed. Derrick looked up to find the blob dive bombing at him. He rolled out of the way and hit his head on the wall next to his bed. The blob pounced back up and made a sound that was too adorable for anyone to resist, except Derrick. The creature smiled widely and floated over to the frightened boy. The Hispanic stood and ran to the door. He attempted to open the door, forgetting to twist and pull. He turned with his back to the door and the blob was right beside him. All of a sudden the blob began to glow. Its form changed and out came a four legged creature and a echoing voice saying “Tokomon.” The creature was small with white strips of antenna coming from its forehead. Two small teeth were protruding from its mouth. The two stood staring at each other for a long time. Then it broke the silence.

“Hi, I’m Tokomon. I’m hungry.” The small creature smiled and it showed its row of sharp teeth.
Derrick winced and cried on the inside. He pleaded on the inside; please don't eat me! Oh, please, oh, please, oh, please!

Tokomon skipped along to the bed and laid. Derrick finally opened the door and quickly and quietly closed the door.

“Morning, son.” Luis emerged from a door that was next to his sons. “You’re mother made some French toast. You should go get some before they get cold.” Luis rustled his son’s hair and continued along the hallway and to the kitchen.

Derrick followed, got some breakfast, and secretly returned to his room with a plate of French toast. The creature was still there, much to the boy’s praying hope that it wasn’t. He placed the plate on the floor.

“I got some food Tokomon.” Derrick announced. The white creature’s eye opened quickly and jumped from the bed running and was able to get in front of the plate before munching down on the food and eating everything in one gigantic bite.

“You’re actually pretty cute, aside from the shark teeth,” the boy appraised.

Tokomon licked its lips and jumped back onto the bed. It snuggled into the blanket and closed its eyes.

“That’s it? You’re just gonna eat and go to sleep? Get up.” Derrick went over the creature and grabbed it. He turned for it to face him. “What are you? Some alien or something.” He turned all over to find something.

“I’m a digimon.” Tokomon informed.

“Digimon? Is that your alien’s species? Or maybe some lab experiment escaping.” Derrick finally put it to face him.

“No. Digimon. Just a digimon,” Tokomon affirmed.

“Do you do anything cool? Besides eat and sleep.” And as if on cue he saw something on his bed. It was brown and swirly. “What is that?”

Tokomon blushed. “Oops, sorry.”

“What do you...“ Derrick finally got it. After a couple of retches and disgusts Derrick was able to clean the excrement and the stains off his bed. “Warn me and I’ll take you outside.”

The day went by with Tokomon explaining Derrick all he could about itself, which wasn’t really helpful since it was a lot of ‘I don’t know’ and ‘I’m a digimon’. Derrick’s parents left to go visit relatives since many of them couldn’t make the New Year’s party because of illness or work. The child grabbed Tokomon and climbed through the window. He ran across the palm tree woods back to where he found the slit. “This is where I found you. Remember anything?”

Tokomon frowned. “No.”

Ugh, Derrick said mentally. Then an idea sparked in his head. He grabbed Tokomon and continued to run through the woods to a house. It too was one story and he knocked on a window and waited. Sonja opened it. Immediately when she opened it she shouted.

“Look my mom got me a cat! It so cool looking.” She bent down and picked up a yellow ball with the similarities of a cat and a tail that was yellow and purple in color. Derrick looked at it closely. He then said, “It’s a digimon.”

“A digimon?” asked Sonja.

“Yeah, some sort of alien.” Derrick's statement caused Tokomon’s face to show annoyance.

“An alien cat?” asked Sonja excitedly.

“No. Just a digimon,” Derrick corrected.

“How do you know?” Sonja demanded.

“My digimon told me.” He lifted up Tokomon for her to see.

She gasped. “It’s so adorable!” She petted it on the head. Tokomon enjoyed the treatment. “What’s it called?”

“Tokomon.” Tokomon replied.

Sonja gasped again. “It talks too?” she asked incredulous.

He shook his head. “What’s your name?” Derrick asked the ‘cat’.

“Nyaromon.” It said.

“You two have -mon at the end of your names.” Derrick concluded.

“You think that Ricardo and Angela got cats too?” asked Sonja.

“I got a feeling that they did,” Derrick agreed.

======================================================================== ================

The duo along with their digimon went to Ricardo’s and Angela’s house. Their speculations were correct. Except they weren’t cats. Ricardo had a digimon called Puyamon, a grayish floating creature that has red strip of hair on top of its head. Angela had a red blue rabbit called Elecmon. The four met on the woods that intersected in between their houses. Elecmon took the liberty to talking to the four.

“Lucky for you guys, I’m a child,” it said.

“A child? Like a little kid?” asked Derrick.

“A child. Like a stage we digimon take when we progress to the next level. We digimon have different levels of which we fall under. Those three are baby. Then the next stage they turn into are child forms, or me, but not specifically me. Then the next level is Adult, then Perfect, then Ultimate. Each form is way stronger than the next.” Elecmon let the information sink into the fours minds.

“So you’re not aliens?” Asked Derrick.

“No,” Elecmon affirmed.

“Cats?” asked Sonja.

“No. Digimon,” Elecmon said annoyed.

“So what are you exactly?” asked Ricardo.

Elecmon sighed. “We’re data. That comes from computers. And that’s about all I can explain.”

The four exchanged looks, not really understanding.

“Never mind,” Elecmon groused.

“How did you guys end up in our beds?” asked Angela.

Elecmon looked over to Angela and gave her a genuinely puzzled face. Derrick had looked at everyone then flashed back to when he gained Tokomon. Then he felt something in his heart. It was the same feeling from before. He looked at his partner, who shared the gaze. Then Nyaromon, Tokomon, and Puyamon began to glow. Their form changed and echoes of, “Gomamon”, “Plotmon”, and “Patamon” filled the air. Gomamon being a four legged creature with a red strip of hair going from the top of its hair down its back. Plotmon was a little white puppy creature. She wore a gold ring around her neck. Patamon was a hamster looking creature with bat wings instead of ears.
The four were astounded.

“You’re a puppy and a cat?” screamed Sonja, taking Plotmon and death hugging her.

“Did you guys feel that just now?” said Derrick in disbelief.

The other three looked at him, almost amazed when he mentioned it. They too shook their heads agreeing that they felt it. They discussed it a bit longer, Derrick and Angela concluding that this is something beyond understanding. They then agreed to keep this secret. They bade each other goodbye and returned to their houses.

======================================================================== ================

Months go by and school started up again from winter vacation and Luis’s job is rebuilt. Life goes normally, aside from the new addition of digimon. Derrick is able to go to private school along with his cousin and friends, bringing their digimon along. They become close and play as often as they could. Finally summer came. All the kids played outside often. Then one day something happened.

Derrick was outside on the beach with Patamon playing in the water. Patamon tackled Derrick into the sand and they both laughed, while Derrick groaned and got up.

A light burst from the ocean and a watery geyser errupted. Three spine fins were seen on the surface of the water. It speeds towards the beach then surged out of the ocean and onto the sand. The creature looked like a brown frog with black fins on its back. Its feet were webbed.

Derrick stared at the creature. "What is that?"

"Gizamon," the creature hissed.

“Should we fight, Derrick?” asked Patamon. He was in a offensive stance, ready for anything.

“Only if it attacks us,” the boy replied, and on cue it did.

“Spiral saw!” Gizamon spiraled at Patamon with amazing speed.

“Boom bubble!” Patamon’s body inflated and shot from his mouth a blast of air which repeled Gizamon’s attack.
Gizamon recoverd and tries again.

“Water cure!” Gizamon began shooting water from its mouth.

Derrick dived out of the way and rolled onto his feet. Patamon flew into the air and dive bombed through the water shots and into Gizamon. It then burst into data.

“Yeah! You were awesome Patamon!” Derrick cheered.

Patamon shook off sand and trotted back to the boy.

“Did you see how I kicked its butt?” Patamon asked excited.

But before Derrick could answer a Gizamon spiraled between the pair. Derrick fell backwards and Patamon jumped into the air. Before Patamon could retaliate another Gizamon jumped out of the ocean and attacked.

“Lightening knife” Elecmon charged out of nowhere slicing the Gizamon mid-air with his thunder imbued tail and bursts the Gizamon into data. After Elecmon landed it quickly turns around and faced the other Gizamon.

“Super thunder strike!” lightning shot out of Elecmon’s tail and burst Gizamon into data. Angela appeared next to Derrick.

“Boy that was close. You okay?” she asked concerned.

“Yeah, thanks.” He replied.

Patamon 'high-threed' Elecmon.

“That was so cool. You’re so quick.” Patamon said jumping around Elecmon.

“Nah, no sweat. It was piece of cake.” Elecmon said conceitedly. Angela held out her hand to help Derrick up.

“There are digimon all around the beach. Me and Elecmon just fought some before we got here. Sonja and Ricardo are here too. I kind of left them fighting a giant snake sea creature.”

“What? Which way?” Derrick asked surprised. Angela pointed the way and the two ran in that direction. Just as she said Gomamon and Plotmon was fighting a giant sea creature, Seadramon. It had a yellow head with a long blue and green snake like body with red feather on the tip of its tail. It stayed in the water with the upper part of its body hovering over the beach. Fish were all around Seadramon, attacking. Plotmon used the fish as stepping stones to reach Seadramon’s head and came crashing down skull first. Seadramon was dazed for a second before regaining sight and continuing to attack.

“Ice winder!” Ice shards were shot out of its mouth. Gomamon blocked the attack with a bubble shield it put up.
Plotmon avoided the attack. Patamon and Elecmon joined in attacking and evading to the best of their abilities.
Derrick ran to Sonja and Ricardo.

“How’re you guys doing?” Derrick asked.

“Well, we were going to visit you when this giant sea monster attacked along with other digimon,” informed Ricardo.

“You guys know how to defeat it?” Derrick wondered.

“I mean we’ve only been fighting it for fifteen minutes,” Ricardo commented sarcastically.

“Is that approximate?” Derrick joked.

“Whatever. Just help us fight it,” Ricardo pleaded.

“Okay. Patamon take him out!” Derrick ordered.

“You got it!” Patamon flew in spiral diving at Seadramon. Impact! The sea serpent was blown back across the sand.

“Patamon just knocked him out!” Sonja cheered.

Seadramon got back up and slithered across the sand shooting ice shards. The four evaded the ice shards while the digimon attempted to counter.

Gomamon pushed Plotmon out of the way and was struck by an ice shard.

“Gomamon! No!” Ricardo ran to Gomamon and pulled him out of the way. The Ice shards continued to rain down. Elecmon shot lightning at Seadramon to slow him down. “Gomamon! You okay buddy?”

Gomamon shifted a bit to reveal that the wound caused his data to seep into the air. “No. No you’re going to okay. No. No. You’ll be okay.” He teared up.

Seadramon knocked Elecmon aside with its tail. It then launched at Ricardo and Gomamon mouth wide open. Everyone screamed. Ricardo closed his eyes.

Then Ricardo felt soft fur. He was laying on a big pillow. He opened his eyes to see that he was off the ground. He looked at the thing he was on. He was on a giant walrus.

“Ikkakumon!” it yelled. Seadramon was thrown back into the ocean by the transformation. Incredulous sounds escaped everyone’s mouth.

“He evolved!” Elecmon informed after he recovered.

Ikkakumon rushed Seadramon horn first. The sea creature was pushed further back into the ocean. Seadramon quickly retaliated by coiling around the walrus digimon and began squeezing the life out of it.

“Hang on, Ricardo!” Ikkakumon mustered. His fur began to cover in ice which covered Ricardo as well. Then his horn shot off, “Harpoon torpedo!” The horn broke in half and missiles launched into the air and crashed down on Seadramon. Smoke bellowed and waves crashed from the impact. Finally everything calmed. All that was left was Gomamon and Ricardo floating in the ocean. Their friends saved them and pulled them onto shore. Ricardo did not hesitate to stand after he made contact with the beach. He went to his partner.

“Gomamon that was incredible!” He cried. Gomamon smiled.
-End 1-