Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Caribbean Diaries ❯ The way we lost them ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Caribbean Diaries 2

“I can’t believe your uncle is letting us explore this place,” stated Angela incredulous.

It was summer, mid-July, Sonja’s uncle was a family friend to all the kids’ families. He had suggested in taking them exploring through the rainforest since his house was nearby. The man followed behind them as they were excitedly running ahead. Gamaliel, as Sonja’s uncle was called, was a very lenient and kind man. He was understanding and close to his niece. He and her mother raised her when her father left when she was younger. But to describe Gamaliel as lenient wouldn’t be enough. The kids had brought their digimon along. The awkward meeting that they expected didn’t come. When he saw them, he simply smiled and said in Spanish, “As long as they protect you.” The group smiled widely knowing that today was going to be a good day.

“My uncle is super cool. He has ATVs and a big boat. He lives by himself but he has a girlfriend,” Sonja stated as she was swinging a nice slender stick she found on the forest ground.

Ricardo was looking around at the magnificent and glowing rainforest. Exotic flowers of different colors riddled the area. The path they were taking was mostly cleared for them to walk through. Gomamon had followed closely to his tamer, a touch afraid at the scenery. He hadn’t ever seen anything like it.

Derrick and Patamon were amazed at the color and size of their surroundings. Derrick picked some flowers and smelled them.

“Patamon, come look at this!” he cried. His partner flew over to him and examined the flower with him.

“It’s humongous!” Patamon exclaimed.

“Those are called maga grandiflora, or the Puerto Rican Hibiscus,” informed Gamaliel.

The flower was pink in color. It was tall with its leaves reaching out to almost six inches. Its yellow stamen was protruding outward.

Angela approached the flower and touched it. It was soft to touch. When she touched the leaves, she pulled one and raised it into the sky to see. It turned bright pink against the sky. She flushed when she noticed that the leaves were heart shaped. It warmed her hear t to see it.

Elecmon walked up behind her and looked at the flower.

“Are you going to eat it?” asked Elecmon.

“What? No. Why would I do that?” Angela replied confused.

“You looked hungry when you looked at it,” Elecmon informed

“No Elecmon, I’m admiring it. It’s a beautiful leaf.” Angela aimed it to the sky. The light seeped through, giving the leaf more brilliance.

“Why?" Elecmon asked confused. "It’s just a leaf.”

Angela blushed shyly. “It’s shaped like a heart.”

“A heart?” Elecmon asked, genuinely puzzled.

Angela nodded. “Yeah. It’s something that people who care about each other share.”

“Do they eat it together?” Patamon cut in thinking there was food involved.

“No, Patamon," Angela scowled at him. "People don’t eat hearts. They share them and use them to protect each other.”

“Like how I protect you? I protect you with my heart, right?” Elecmon asked proudly.

Angela smiled warmly. She knelt down and hugged her partner.

Sonja burst through some brush that was off the path.

“Tio, Plotmon and I found the spring!” she yelled happily.

Gamaliel turned to look at his niece. “Good, so you remembered where it was.” He beckoned the eight to follow him through the brush that his niece had burst through. After several minutes of walking they saw it. It was shining from the sunlight. A waterfall was crashing down on the far end of the spring. Rocks were laid down around the edges of it. The water was so clear that the ground was visible from where they stood. Gamaliel approached the spring’s edge and knelt down. He reached into the water and splashed some in his face. He stood and faced his followers. “This is El pozo de la paz sin fin. The spring of endless peace. Me and my sister found it when we were kids.”

“I remember our grandparents taking us here every time we visited them." Gamaliel informed reminiscing. "This is the cleanest spring all around here. So there’s no need to worry about bugs and other things." He took off the camping pack and placed it on the ground. He rummaged through it until he pulled out four plastic bags. “Ok,” he said in Spanish, “I have your swimming clothes. Go somewhere and put them on, then meet me by the spring. We’ll have fun before dawn.”

The kids quickly snatched the bags and ran off in different directions.

Gamaliel took off his shoes and stuck his feet into the spring. He remembered the times he used to share with his family. His parents left the tiny island to explore the world. His sister and he would receive postcards from the different places that his mother and father visited. The cards inspired him to move out into the rainforest and live a carefree life of exploring and discovery.

“Tio!” screamed Sonja.

Gamaliel bounced onto his feet and sprinted in the direction of his niece’s voice. He smacked away leaves and brush until he came upon his niece in her bathing suit, with a frog on her arm. She was frozen solid; as well as a cat head with a tail. Gamaliel seemed confused.

“Get the frog off me!” Sonja screeched.

“Calm down, mijita.” He approached the frog and grabbed it lightly. He then placed it on a leaf, where it hopped away.

Sonja began to cry. Her uncle came and hugged her. Nyaromon joined in on making the child feel better.

“Sonja,” he paused then resumed, “Didn’t you have a dog before?” He picked up Nyaromon and faced it to him. He examined her partner.

Nyaromon smiled nervously. Sonja excitedly grabbed her partner and squeezed her.

“Yeah, but I don’t know what happened. I screamed then she just changed. But you’re a cat again!” She and her uncle walked back to the spring asking himself if that really just happened.

At the spring the other kids splashed and swam around. Gomamon was expertly diving under water and swimming around the long stretch of area that the spring covered. Patamon and Derrick were racing end to end to see who the better swimmer was. Angela and Elecmon simply floated on their backs and allowed the few rays of sunlight to warm their bodies. Sonja ran and splashed into the water with Plotmon right behind.

Everyone was laughing and playing until the sun reached the west side of the sky. Dusk was approaching. Gamaliel ordered them to get dried for that they were returning to his home soon.

The walk back was even more magnificent. The sun’s rays were seen cutting through the forest. The rays made the water droplets sparkle, making everything seem alive. The group finally made it to their destination. Gamaliel’s resident was a two story house. It was big home that had a stone fence surround it. On the inside of the fence was simple. There was a family area complete with a long table and a stone counter with a grill built into it. On the inside of the house was grand. A nice TV was sitting in the corner of the living room with a long couch and several seats facing it. The kitchen was directed with black marble and nice pictures of animals and flowers. The second floor contained four rooms. Three rooms contained two beds and were beautifully decorated. The one was a master bedroom with a queen size bed. Each room had its own individual air conditioner. When the children entered through a gate in the fence they were astonished.
“How do you have a nice house like this in the middle of the rainforest?” asked Derrick genuinely amazed.

“It wasn’t like this in the beginning. It was a simple one room house. But Sonja’s abuelos helped me in paying for it. Worked hard and finally got what I wanted, though I had to live in it half done for a couple years. But it was finally finished last summer. Come in, come in.”

Gamaliel led them into the luxurious house. The children immediately went to the TV and turned it on. The digimon situated themselves on the couch. Sonja flipped the channels until cartoons were on.

“Oh, oh, check if SpongeBob is on!” exclaimed Patamon. The digimon cheered when the channel changed to show a square yellow sponge in clothes flipping 'patties'.

Gamaliel went into the kitchen and began preparing dinner. After eating and spending more time watching TV everyone went into their respective bedrooms, Derrick taking the living so he and Patamon could watch more cartoons.

Summer vacation was going by fast for the eight of them. Having digimon really made their lives more fun. Back where they lived they found an old shack close to Ricardo’s house that they could stow their partners in. They outfitted it with blankets and pillows that they swiped from their houses. Every day, since the beginning of summer vacation, they played with each other, and because of that minutes were turning into weeks, and seconds into days.

Ricardo looked over at his digimon, who was sound asleep. He smiled to himself and laid back down. He closed his eyes and allowed sleep to take him away.

Angela and Elecmon laid on the bed facing each other. They were talking about the digital world.

Elecmon was explaining everything he could. “The Digital World is the place we came from. I hatched there, unlike the other three. I started out in this place called Village of Beginnings. There, everyone is born. There’s a digimon like me who watches it.”

“Like you? There’s more than one of you?” she asked with the biggest smile on her face. The thought of more Elecmons made her excited.

“Yeah, hundreds maybe thousands, but I left there to come here.” he said with a pained look on his face trying to remember what had happened after that.

“Do you know why?” Angela attempted to gice solace to her partner.

Elecmon shook his head. An expression of deep thought came across his face. He then switched the facial expression to one of an epiphany. “My heart tells me that I belong here. There’s this incredible emotion that takes me over when-” And at that second Elecmon glowed. His figure increased in size and the words “Garurumon” filled the air. The digimon was a giant black wolf with white stripes all over its body. The bed shuddered and dropped from its weight. The dark wolf spun to knock down dressers and dented the walls.

Angela was incredulous. “D-did you just evolve?” She asked confused with the sudden transformation.

“Yeah, I did, didn’t I?” Garurumon was proud, “I’m stronger now!”
Gamaliel burst through the door. The cold air in the room rushed out being replaced by the hot tropical air. The man stood frozen when he saw a giant black dog in the room. “Diablo! Diablo!” Gamaliel screamed. He ran out of the room and tripped on the hallway rug.

Garurumon attempted to leave the room but became stuck in the door. The others came and examined the situation.

Ricardo stepped forward and looked closely at the digimon. Angela maneuvered around her partner and explained what happened.

Ricardo rubbed his chin. “Soap.” Ricardo said simply.

“Soap?” everyone asked in response.

“Lather him in soap to get him out.” Ricardo attempted to sound intelligent.

“I’ll get the soap!” exclaimed Gomamon.

Derrick grabbed Gomamon to keep him from going along with the plan.

“Estas loco?” asked Derrick to his cousin.

“My mom does it to get her rings off her fingers when she cleans the kitchen,” Was Ricardo’s excuse.

Derrick shook his head in disbelief and commented on whether or not if Ricardo was really his cousin. Derrick then approached Angela. “How did he get like this?”

“I don’t know! It just happened!” she exclaimed, confused at the situation.

“He just changed?” Derrick walked closely to Garurumon and examined the digimon.

“He was talking about his home, and then he changed,” She informed.

Derrick then walked back to Angela. “Touch him,” He commanded her.

“What? No. Why?” Touching a giant scary looking wolf was something she normally didn't do.

“Just touch him,” He demanded

“Why should I? For all you know he could be poison.” Angela had a fearful look on her face.

Derrick sighed and went over to the midnight colored canine. He touched it. “See tonta? Nothing happened.”

Angela hesitated. She took several steps to her partner. She hoped in her heart that something would happen. She lightly touched him. Nothing happened. She breathed in to calm herself, and then breathed out. She then placed her palm on him. That’s when he glowed. He reduced in size and in the doorway was Elecmon. She sighed and hugged her partner. Everyone else finally went back to bed.

The next morning the mess was cleaned. Gamaliel took his niece and friends out to El Camino, or shops in town. He wanted to keep the children away from his home, thinking next one of the creatures would turn into a giant T-rex.

El Camino was full of shops and vendors on the streets. Gamaliel took them through different stores to see paintings and wood carvings and clothes. They even stopped at a restaurant that served fish, which Gomamon protested eating. Gamaliel finally stopped in a shop that sold fortunes. He sat in the front that was full of chairs. There was a reception desk and a door that led into a dark room. The walls were light blue and pictures of different emotions in Spanish hung on the wall. The children followed after him when they stopped previously to get ice-cream. An old man came from the back. He was wearing a hat that was too low for anyone to see his face. However, his white mustache was visible; it was long. He looked between all of them and pointed to Derrick. Derrick paused half licking his ice-cream and pointed to himself. The man shook his head and preceded to the back, Derrick followed.

In the back was pitch black. The walls seemed dark with candles on the walls dimly lighting the room. The elderly gentleman was sitting at a table with a crystal ball. Derrick beckoned Patamon to come. The two went in and sat.

“So you’re going to tell me my future? Maybe say I’m going to be a millionair.” He said normally, secretly hoping on the inside.

“No,” the old man said in a non Hispanic voice. “However, you are going to be rich in power.”
“I’m going to be buff?” He asked, hoping even more on the inside.

The old man laughed, “That’s going to help you in the future young man. I like your spirit. And I see you brought your friend along.” He referred to Patamon. “I hope you two get very close. It will benefit what’s to come.”

“Are you going to tell me anything straightforward?” Derrick asked becoming annoyed with the old man.

The old man chuckled. “What’s the fun in that? Maybe the future should be made, not told.” The old man swung his arm out to beckon him out the door. Derrick did as asked and left. He returned to the front to be bombarded with questions. He told them what he could.

Gamaliel stood. “Well I came here for a reason. Regreso.” He left to the back.

The children talked about what the fortune teller was trying to convey. They talked about the richness in power and being close to their digimon. Fifteen minutes passed by and Gamaliel returned.

“Basura. Que perdida.” Sonja’s uncle looked disappointed and told his kids they were returning home.

A week went by and the kids returned to their homes. They tried to enjoy the summer vacation they had left. They spent most of the time at the beach. Within that time they experimented in how they made their partners evolve. It was an unsuccessful attempt since none of them knew how to. They questioned Angela on what caused Elecmon’s change. As she told them exactly what happened.

“Maybe it was just random,” Ricardo commented.

“I don’t believe that. There had to be a reason why.” Added Derrick.

It was a week before August. The eight were playing at the beach, Gomamon swimming in the ocean, Elecmon, Plotmon, and Sonja were building a sand castle, and Ricardo, Patamon, Derrick, and Angela were racing. Suddenly a similar burst of light that occurred a long time ago happened again. Black spines didn’t appear this time. Two orange sticks were protruding from the ocean. Within the next second a giant shrimp looking monster launched from the water and into the air. It then crashed into the beach. It stared down the children for a few seconds.

“Twin Scissors!” The digimon charged forward claws first clamping at them. The children dived out of the way while Patamon and Elecmon jumped into the air.

“What is that?” screamed Sonja.

“I think that’s an Ebidramon,” Elecmon responded.

“There’s giant shrimp in the Digital World?” Derrick asked surprised.

Patamon began the assault on the shrimp. It shot out its pressured air attack, which seemed to have no affect on the digimon. Ebidramon smacked Patamon away with its claws. Following this Elecmon stepped in.

“Lightning knife!” The red and blue rabbit lunged forward with its tail imbued with electricity and slashed at the digimon. The shrimp winced from the attack. When Elecmon saw this, he continued to attack with the same attack. Nyaromon hopped away from Sonja and into the fight.

“Kitty no!” Sonja screamed. She attempted to stand and run after but Ricardo held her.

“Are you nuts? You can die out there. Let them handle it.”

“But I have to help her, she’s too small and she can get hurt.” Sonja pulled her arm out of Ricardo’s grip and ran after her digimon.

Ebidramon swung its giant claw around to defend itself from Elecmon’s attack. One of the swipes was directed in Sonja’s direction. Everyone yelled.

Sonja felt something push her back, in time to dodge the claw. She fell to the ground. When she lifted her head to see what happened Plotmon was on her chest.

“I think Ricardo’s right. You should let us handle it.” Plotmon smiled then dashed off to help.

Patamon continued to use boom bubble, but Ebidramon’s shell was too tough.

Gomamon was formulating a plan, then he executed it. Gomamon asked the fish in the sea to pull Ebidramon back in to the water. When this happened, he told Elecmon a set of instructions.

Elecmon nodded and followed the captured Ebidramon. He set himself near the water and took a stance. “Super thunder strike.” A lightning bolt shot out of his tail and hit Ebidramon when he came in contact with the water. At this time the fish already swam away. The shrimp jerked around for a few moments before crashing to the ground.

“Yeah we did it! We’re just too good.” Derrick cheered.

Angela walked up behind him and smacked the back of his head. “Calm down, he’s not turning into the white dust.”

A few moments had passed, then Ebidramon slowly got up. Everyone didn’t hesitate to attack again. Patamon tackled him, Elecmon continued to shock, Plotmon accompanied Gomamon in getting fish to attack.

“Lobster step!” The giant shrimp launched itself into the air. A sort of water energy surrounded it, then flames erupted under it and it came crashing back down. It caused shockwaves that knocked everyone over and flames spread out causing the sand to become a silver and black color. All the digimon were knocked down. Derrick slowly sat up.

“What just happened?” He looked around. Sand dust was everywhere, it was hard to see. Patamon flew over to Derrick. “It’s gone.”

Where did it go?” Derrick ran towards the water and saw nothing.

It had truly disappeared. But something worse came. White tentacles appeared and grabbed Derrick. More came and grabbed the rest of his friends and Elecmon. When the smoke cleared a giant white squid was seen. It had an unconscious Ebidramon in its other tentacles. The giant shrimp burst into data. The children began screaming. Elecmon shocked the squid causing it to let go. The digimon began to attack trying to rescue their partners. The giant white squid smiled evilly as he swept his tentacle at the attackers. Plotmon attempted to stand on one of the white tentacles but was blown away by another she didn’t see.

“Plotmon!” Sonja screamed
Elecmon was able to keep it away with its electric attacks.

Patamon attempted to go head on to save his partner but was also hit by tentacles.

“Damn Gesomon,” Elecmon growled. “Its going to try to get back into the water, don’t let it!” With this said the Gesomon attempted to return into the ocean. The children continued their pleas for help.

“Patamon help me!” Derrick cried.

Patamon then began glowing. “I’ll save you…. Patamon digivolve to… Angemon!” An angel with blue robes was seen in Patamon’s place.

Gesomon growled. “Deadly shade!” Black smog was spewed from the giant squid.

The angel flew right into it. It was hard to see but Angemon reared his hand and punched it forward. “Heavenly Knuckle!” A beam of light erupted from his fist and cut through the smog.
Gesomon was hit and exploded into data.

Several minutes later the children were on the beach trying to clamor over who got to get close to the angel first.

“Patamon, is that you?” Derrick asked somewhat scared.

Angemon felt the fear and reverted back to Patamon.

It was confusing, these monsters changed forms randomly and they didn’t know why. But before another word could be spoken a flash of light occurred. When it dispersed the digimon were gone.

Then another flash of light occurred. It was bright. When it disappeared an elderly man stood there. “I see that you kids have a handle on this digimon thing.”

“Where did our digimon go?” asked Angela.

“Don’t worry, they're are on their way back home to the Digital World. Oh, I’m sorry, I‘m being rude. My name is Gennai.” The gentleman wore clothes that were red and blue. He had white hair that was back in a pony tail. His mustache was white and long.

“What? You sent them to us?” asked Derrick.

“No. In fact, this separation should've never happened, because you were never suppose to meet them in the first place. A rift occured and somehow these digimon were brought here." Gennai sighed. "This seperation has to happen."

"How can you say that?!" Angela demanded. "We're a family."

"And had you not met them, you would not feel such pain now. They must return to their world before the barrier is complete. Else they would soon die here. I am sorry, but this is for the best." Gennai began to turn around.

Derrick gritted his teeth. "What barrier?"

Gennai glanced back at them. "One that will prevent an incident like Ebidramon and Gesomon from appearing here. To keep everyone safe, the two worlds must be kept seperate. It would be best if you never meet your partners again."

Sonja ran up to the old man and tugged at his robe. "I want my kitty back."
Gennai patted the crying girl's head. It looked as if he was thinking hard. He then faced the other children.

"I believe that you have the power to defend this world. But it is a dangerous task for children like you to take," Gennai said soberly.

"I don't care!" Sonja protested.

The other children nodded.

Gennai bowed his head. "If the time comes, you may be called upon to meet your partners again. I only hope that you are up to the task. Goodbye children."

With a flash of light, the old man was gone and each child held a small gray device. With this device they felt that intense feeling when they first met their partners. It was a powerful feeling that made them feel as if they had their friends hearts in their hands.

-End 2-