Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Children of Destiny ❯ History Repeats ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Children of Destiny

a/n: Alright, and this part will have way more on the kids. I just needed the first few chapters as a set up. This is going to be one LONG fic...

Disclaimer: I don't own anything but the characters I created.

~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~

Tai looked up from his seat on the couch and glanced at the door. He'd thought he'd heard someone outside. he had. Kari jumped a bit, startled, as the doorbell rang. She looked at Tai with a scared look in her eyes, suddenly wishing she were someone else. Tai squeezed her shoulder reassuringly and smiled. Then he got up and walked to the door.

When he opened it, he wasn't even slightly surprised to see his brother-in-law standing there nervously. TK flinched as Tai glared at him. Tai was one person he never wanted to have mad at him. Especially when it had something to do with Kari.

Tai glanced at TK appraisingly and said, "Do you love her?"

TK blinked, a bit caught off guard, and answered, "Of course I do Tai! I've loved her since I was 8 years old! I never meant to hurt her, you know that! Please let me make it up to her..."

Much to the younger man's surprise, and relief, Tai grinned, "She's on the couch TK. Go talk to her."

TK smiled and walked past Tai, who closed the door silently, "I'll be in the kitchen." Tai said, sidestepping into the small room and leaving TK alone. The blonde haired man swallowed nervously and walked into the living room.

"Kari?" He called timidly, causing her to turn toward him. He saw that she had been crying and his heart broke into a million pieces just thinking about how much pain he must have caused her.

"Hi TK." Kari said softly, standing up from the couch and looking at him from the other side of the room. She could see the tears in his eyes, even from where she stood.

"Kari I'm so sorry!" TK exclaimed, closing the distance between them, "She kissed me. I didn't even know what was going on. I'm so sorry!"

Kari immediately started crying again and launched herself into TK's arms, "I'm sorry I ran away. I know it wasn't your fault. Please, never leave me TK."

TK stroked her hair softly and held her close, "I'll never leave you. You know that. I love you Kari."

"I love you too, TK." The young woman answered, muffled slightly by her husband's shoulder. Tai smiled broadly from his position around the corner, watching happily as they pulled apart slightly and engaged in a passionate kiss.

"Besides..." TK said as they came up for air, "You are a much better kisser..."

Tai had just turned around and walked back into the kitchen when he heard a key turning in the door. Suddenly, it flew open and Sora burst in, her eyes filled with fear.

"Sora? What? Is something wrong?" Tai asked, running out of the kitchen. Sora gestured wildly out the door.

"Look!" Was all she said. TK and Kari walked over, wondering what was going on, and watched as Tai ran out on to the balcony of the apartment. Suddenly, he jumped back with a surprised yell.

TK was the one who finally spoke up, his voice filled with disbelief, "It's...it's snowing!"

Tai and Sora's eyes met, and both knew exactly what the other was thinking, "Where are the kids?" Tai asked quickly, pulling on his shoes and a coat.

"They're at the park." Kari said, her voice barely above a whisper, "The twins are there with them."

Not waiting to hear another word, Tai ran out the door and sprinted for the elevator.

~*:~*~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~

Makoto was running toward the goal, a determined look in her eyes, thinking of nothing but the sound of the ball hitting the back of that net. Or, at least she was until a snowflake landed on her nose. The brown haired girl stopped in her tracks and looked up at the sky. It was snowing.

"Um...guys?" She asked, looking around in confusion, "Is it snowing?"

Lee looked at her with a 'Well, duh' sort of look on his face and said, "Yeah..."

Suddenly, a short blue haired boy ran up with a girl about his age behind him, brown pigtails bouncing with every step.

"Mike!" Lee yelled at his little brother, "Where have you been?"

The boy shrugged and said, "With Tami..."

Makoto watched as her little sister skidded to a stop beside Mike Kido, wearing her dad's old blue shirt...again. It was the one with the yellow stars on the sleeves. Her mom hated it when she wore that shirt, saying it was way too big for her. her dad, on the other hand, found it quite amusing.

"I don't know about all of you, but I'm going home." Aimee announced. Already, the park had cleared, leaving the group of kids alone. The blue haired girl began gathering up her sketchbook and pencils. Brad retrieved his camera from under a nearby tree and followed his sister silently

"Hey, wait a second you guys!" Makoto yelled on an afterthought, stopping them dead in their tracks, "My birthday's tomorrow and I'm having everyone over. You wanna come?"

"Isn't this kind-of short notice?" Sky asked from where she was standing, catching snowflakes on her tongue and laughing as one landed on the tip of her nose. Corran smiled, seeing the happy look on his twin's face, and added, "Well, you know `Koto...what did you expect?"

Makoto glared at the two of them before turning back to Aimee and Brad and saying, "Think you can come?"

Brad grinned and said, "Sure, `Koto! I'll be there." Then glancing over at Sky and Corran with a mischievous smirk he added, "Of course it might be hard to get permission...what with such short notice and all..."

Makoto rolled her eyes at him and ignored the twins snickering behind her, moving her gaze to Aimee, "You going to come?"

Aimee grunted a reluctant, "Sure, seeya then."

Makoto's face split into a wide grin at this, and she addressed the rest of the group asking, "What about the rest of you?"

Rei stared at the ground, "I'll have to ask my dad."

Lee grabbed his duffel bag and slung it over his shoulder saying, "Mike and I are coming."

Sky and Corran exchanged glances and shrugged at eachother, "We'll ask."

"Awesome!" Makoto exclaimed, "I'll see you then."

A collective, "Yeah." went up from the group of kids as they all began gathering up their respective belongings. Little did they know, this was the last normal moment they would share for quite some time.

It wasn't more than a few seconds before everything changed. The snow began falling faster and seemed to take on a reddish hue as the sky exploded with color, looking as if it had caught on fire. Everyone froze where they stood, staring at the spectacle above them.

"Ok, this is beyond weird." Lee said, his voice shaking, "Snow is understandable.....this is just wrong."

"I have to agree with you on that." Makoto stated in response, her eyes reflecting the sky above her, glowing a brighter shade of ruby red than usual.

"Hey, look at that!" Aimee said suddenly, pointing at a spot in the sky. Everyone gasped as they sighted what looked like several comets streaking toward the park. They stood transfixed as the balls of fire hurled toward them, their collective opinion on the situation expressed by Rei's calm exclamation of,

"Were all going to die..."

~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~

Tai ran down the street toward the park as fast as his legs would carry him. As fate would have it, a massive car accident had blocked the road, forcing him to try to get there on foot. Sora had taken TK and Kari in her car, hoping to find a way around the accident, but all of them knew that if the Digiworld needed their children...there was no way to stop them. No one can stand in the way of destiny.

The brown haired man pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and began rapidly dialing a familiar number as he ran.

"Hello?" Matt's voice answered promptly.

"Matt it's snowing. And the sky is looking weird." Tai said between breaths, "All of our kids are at the park. The roads are blocked."

It took a second for everything Tai had said to sink in, "No way. That's not possible, Tai. it's not going to happen again!"

"Just get here Matt." Tai growled, hanging up the phone. He glanced up at the sky and about dropped the phone when he saw nine small meteors streaming toward the park.

"NO!" He yelled desperately, picking up speed. He knew he was going to be too late. No matter how fast he ran...it wouldn't be enough.

Tai dialed another number on his cell phone. After a few rings, a voice finally answered, "Hello?"

"Izzy!" Tai practically yelled, breathing heavily, "Is Rei at the park?"

"Yeah, she met Makoto there earlier this morning. Why?" Izzy asked, "What's going on Tai? You sound worried."

"Look outside your window." The former leader of the digidestined said, "Get to the park s fast as you can, and bring that laptop of yours. Call Joe."

"Why? What's going on?" Izzy asked. he was interrupted by the click of the phone as Tai hung up on him.

~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~

Makoto watched in awe as the 9 meteors landed in a cloud of smoke, yards away from where the soccer game had been taking place moments before. She and the other kids inched toward them slowly, watching curiously as the smoke cleared and revealed 9 metallic devices floating in a circle.

Makoto reached out toward the one nearest to her. She knew it was probably a bad idea to even touch them, but a small part of her urged her to grab it anyway. It was as if nothing in her like had ever been so right. Makoto's hand closed around the device, and she looked up to see that everyone else was similarly holding on to one of the small machines, bewildered expressions on their faces.

She locked eyes with Lee for a split second, then a blinding light flashed and Makoto knew no more. But even as the darkness overcame her, she could have sworn she's heard her name....

~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~

Tai ran toward the small group of children up ahead. he watched helplessly as Makoto's hand closed around a digivice, followed shortly by all the others.

"Makoto don't!" he yelled. As if in response, a bright light flashed, causing Tai to stop in his tracks and shade his eyes. When he opened them again, they were gone.

Tai ran in to the center of the clearing in a state of shock, not believing that they were really gone, "Tami! Makoto!" he called, "Come back! Don't do this to me..."

He looked at the soccer ball sitting in the middle of the empty field, recognizing it as the one he had given to his daughter for Christmas the previous year.

"This can't be happening." Tai whispered, sinking to his knees as the snow fell around him in cold torrents. he heard footsteps behind him, but didn't turn around to see who it was.

"Tai, where are they?" He heard Sora's voice ask.

"They're gone." Tai whispered, hunched over on the cold ground.

The screeching of car brakes and several doors slamming pierced the silence. Matt and Izzy ran up from different directions, both arriving at the same time. Matt looked around quickly, looking for any sign of is kids. Kari and TK were standing off to the side, holding eachother's hands tightly, holding on to what seemed like the only thing they had left in the world. Izzy's face turned sheet-white, one hand gripping a nearby tree to steady himself. Sora was standing behind Tai, who had made no move to get up, with one shaking hand over her mouth.

No one noticed as two more sets of footsteps came to a sudden stop in the silent clearing.

"Oh my God." Mimi's distinctive voice could be heard, "No, this isn't happening. What did we do to deserve this? Haven't we already done enough?"

Joe put a comforting hand on her shoulder, and she spun around, burying her face in his chest, "Lee...Mike..."

No one moved for what seemed like an eternity. The sheer shock and grief were overwhelming. No one wanted to think about what would happen if one of their children were hurt while trapped in the digiworld. At last, Tai raised his head and looked around at the rest of the digidestined. All eyes turned to him, as they once again looked to him for leadership. Gazing at each of them in turn, Tai wished more than ever, that someone else would lead.

Matt watched as Tai stood up and walked over to where the soccer ball was lying, slowly being covered by snow. The brown haired man leaned over and picked it up gently, brushing off the snow. His chocolate brown eyes moved from the ball to the group, sadness mirrored in their depths.

"Everyone go to my apartment." He said finally, "Let's figure this out."

With that, Tai spun on his heel and began walking back toward his house. Seven pairs of eyes watched him leave.

"Do you want a ride, Tai?" Matt asked his friend, concerned.

No one missed the way Tai's voice shook as he replied, "No, I'll walk."

Then he stopped walking and looked over his shoulder, "Quit looking at me like that Matt." He said with a sigh before turning around and starting to walk again, "I'll be fine."

Sora and Matt exchanged glances, and Sora quickly ran after Tai, stopping him by calling his name. He turned to face her, unshed tears sparkling in his eyes, "Sora...I don't want to lose them."

The auburn haired woman took a step toward him and pulled him into a hug, "We won't lose them. Don't worry. We came through ok, and they will too."

Tai blinked away his tears quickly, not wanting the others to see how scared he really was, "I know."

A fire ignited in Tai's eyes and he pulled out of the embrace, looking at Sora gratefully, "I know they'll be ok." He said with more conviction, "They've got us on their side."

~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~

a/n: I've been wanting to write that scene for SO long. I hope you liked it! Ok, from now on Tai and the others are going to start fading out and I'm going to focus more on the kids. They'll still be in a lot of it, but just not as much as before. And I know this fic has been done before...but I assure you...it has NEVER been done like this.

Just so it's not confusing, the couples and their kids are as follows:

Tai & Sora: Makoto and Tami

Matt & Jennifer (my invention) : Aimee and Brad

Joe & Mimi (yes, you read that correctly, Mimato fans): Lee and Mike

TK & Kari: Sky and Corran (twins)

Izzy & (to be revealed): Rei

Oh, and just to tell you: I'd have used the 02 characters, but it was just too many people to keep track of. Sorry!

Please review and feel free to e-mail me with any questions or comments!
~TS