Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Choices of Heroes ❯ Light or Darkness ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Before I start I want to say sorry for not updating this story until now. I've had a lot of stuff on my plate and unfortunately putting up the next chapter on this story was not up there on the list. Hopefully this chapter will get me back in your good graces.
 
As for the stupid disclaimer, I don't own digimon.
 
A weak man has doubts before a decision; a strong man has them afterwards.
Karl Kraus (1781-1832)
 
Chapter 2:
Light or Darkness
 
 
It seemed to be a peaceful night in the city of Kyoto but that wouldn't last long as two mysterious men began to sneak around. “Do you think that we should be doing this?” questioned one of the men to his partner.
 
 
“Oh come on, this is one of the most loaded places in the entire city. There's no telling what kind of stuff we can swipe. Now let's get going.” Moving quickly the two men climbed over the fence and ran across the courtyard where they reached the building. After being able to get one of the windows upon they climbed in.
 
 
With no sigh of protection they snuck from room to room looking for where the most valuable items would be. At last they entered a room that had what seemed to be rare items and on the far wall was a glass casing with several trinkets. “See, what I told you. We'll get rich once we sell this stuff to the highest bidder.”
 
 
Walking more into the room the two of them went to the case but stopped when the lights suddenly turned on. “Pardon me, do you have an appointment?” Turning back they saw a brown hair man with a black coat on. “Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you usually have to get an invite by the owner to come into their home?”
 
 
Not giving him a response both men went at the man to prevent him from interfering. Despite trying their best neither one could lay a hand on him. Getting fed up the man quickly knocked out one of the men, leaving it one on one. “I've had enough of this.” Reaching into his coat the man pulled out a gun. “I may not know who you are but I'll make sure that you'll pay for interfering in my plans.”
 
 
Pulling the trigger the gun was fired. However, it would prove futile as the man moved out of the way and got in front of the thief. “W-What are you? There is no way that you could've gotten away from that shot.”
 
 
“Let's just say that I'm no ordinary man.” Before the thief had a chance to fire his gun again the man punched him right in the face. The hit was so strong that it causes him to go flying back and go crashing into the glass casing, breaking it on impact.
 
 
“Excellent work.” a voice spoke from outside the room. Soon four policemen entered the room and handcuffed the two unconscious thieves. “That was an impressive showing you did there my friend.” spoke Samuel as he walked into the room, expecting the surroundings. “I must say that you did some amazing work here Daisuke. Unfortunately, you didn't do it without causing some damage.” He pointed to the destroyed glass case and the wall where there was now a bullet hole in it.
 
 
“Sorry about that, I guess I got a little carried away but thankfully it helped to prevent the robbery that you were told about to occur. That was why you ask me to keep watch making sure that didn't happen.” retorted Daisuke with some embarrassment in causing the damage to the display case.
 
 
“But of course. It's a good thing that you were able to this on your own since your two friends went on vacation. I guess I was worried over nothing.”
 
 
Walking over to the remains of the glass case, Daisuke went to see if any of the items were damaged. Luckily, it appeared as though nothing was broke and he was done with it until something caught his eye. Picking it up, he saw that it was a necklace with a pendent that was a circle that had an `x' shape symbol on it and another metal strip going down the center. In the exact center there was a red diamond shape jewel in the middle. The pendent was connected to a metal chain that was long enough that it could go on by simply putting it over your head. “Hey Samuel, what is this thing?”
 
 
“You mean that necklace? To be honest I'm not really sure. I came upon it on one of my trips in Asia and when for some reason when I saw it I had to get it.”
 
 
“You don't say?” pondered Daisuke. “Do you mind if I have this?”
 
 
“Well, I don't know. I did have that thing for a couple of years but what the hell take it. We'll just call it payment for what you've done.”
 
 
Glancing down one last time at the necklace, Daisuke stuffed it into his coat pocket. “Thanks Samuel, I really appreciate this.” “In more ways than one if what I think about this necklace is true.”
 
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
 
Three Days Later…
 
 
“Man, its sure good to be back.” “I'll have to agree with you Takeru.” said Hikari.
 
 
The two of them had just returned from their vacation and were now taking a taxi over to Daisuke's place. “I hope that nothing bad has been happening while we were gone.” “Hey, don't worry yourself over nothing Hikari. Daisuke can handle anything that comes his way. Besides, if anything really serious did happen he would've contacted us.”
 
 
They soon arrived to their destination and entered the house to see that no one was inside. “Is he even here?” Peering out the window Takeru could see Daisuke's car. “His car is still here so that means he has to be here somewhere.”
 
 
Searching from room to room neither one of them could find Daisuke and just when they were about to give up Hikari saw that there was someone in the backyard. Walking over she saw that the man was Daisuke but what really surprised her was that he was standing openly in the sunlight. “Oh my goodness, what do you think you're doing out here without any cover? Get back inside before you burst into flames.”
 
 
She pulled at his arm to get him inside but he wouldn't move. It was then that she realized that Daisuke wasn't being set on fire, he wasn't even smoking. This was definitely out of the norm. “What's going on here Daisuke? There is no way that you can be out in the open without becoming a pile of dust.”
 
 
He turned his head to her and smiled. “It's quite simple Hikari.” With that said he walked back to the house with Hikari following close by. When they entered it was then that Takeru discovered what just occurred. “Okay, correct me if I'm wrong but don't vampires, such as you usually become the human torch if they're out in the sun?”
 
 
“That would be the case Takeru if it wasn't for this.” Reaching from underneath his shirt he pulled out the same necklace that he got from Samuel. “It is because of this necklace you guys.”
 
 
From what they could tell, Takeru and Hikari didn't see anything special about the necklace. “What about it? I mean it doesn't look all that special.”
 
 
“That's where you're wrong you guys. This is the necklace of Asmara and legend said that if a vampire wears it they will become invulnerable to anything. A perfect example would be standing directly in sunlight.”
 
 
By the looks that were on his two friends' faces they still didn't understand. He figured that they need a further example. “Takeru, do you mind handing me that item on the table?”
 
 
Doing as he was asked he went to the table to get the requested item. When he got there he was shocked at what Daisuke was asked him to get. “Are you sure that you want this Daisuke?”
 
 
“Of course I am. Now come on and hand me that cross.” Attentively Takeru went over and placed the cross in his friend's hand but jumped back when Daisuke grabbed his hand in pain. “Oh, I'm sorry Daisuke. I was just doing as you asked.” Both Takeru and Hikari were worried about their friend until they started to hear him laugh.
 
 
“Gotcha. Man you should have seen the look on your guys' faces when I did my little act there. Boy was it classic.” The emotions of Daisuke's friends quickly changed from worry to anger.
 
 
“That wasn't funny Daisuke. That was a cruel joke you just did.” exclaimed an angry Hikari but also glad that he wasn't really hurt.
 
 
Stopping his laughter Daisuke calmed back down. “I'm sorry but I just couldn't really help myself. I apologize.” Getting back to the matter at hand, he placed the cross that he still had and started to press it all over his body. “See you guys it's just like I told you before. As long as I have this necklace on I can't be harm, let alone be killed.”
 
 
It seemed as though what he was saying was finally sinking in for his friends as they were more than surprised. Takeru would be the first to get over the shock. “This is fantastic Daisuke. Do you realize with that necklace you can walk down the street like the rest of us sun loving people?”
 
 
`Trust me, I have thought about it on more than one occasion.” He suddenly changed the expression on his face from cheerful to serious. “However, I won't be doing that after today.”
 
 
“What are you talking about?” questioned a confused Takeru. “I don't know if you remember but the sun does come out on a daily bases.”
 
 
“It isn't that. The reason is that this necklace is too dangerous to be in the hands on any vampire, good or bad. That is why tonight I will destroy the necklace and don't you guys try changing my mind.”
 
 
Expecting to here some sort of argument to come he braced himself for it, only it never came. “If that's what you wish to do then do so.” spoke Hikari with a soft and caring voice. “I may not agree with your decision but it isn't really one for me to make so why don't we skip all the waiting and destroy it now?”
 
 
“Not at the moment. I appreciate your guys' support. It's just that there's still something that I want to do before we get rid of this. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to do that thing now. I'll see you just before sunset.”
 
 
Before another word could be said he walked out the door leaving the others behind. “What do you think is that thing he was referring to?” Looking at the door where her friend left, Hikari put in her two cents. “I have a pretty good idea what it is.”
 
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
 
“Who's there?” asked a young woman she heard a knock at the door. “It's me sis, please open the door.”
 
 
Recognizing the voice the woman quickly unlocked the door to see the guest on the other side. “Oh Daisuke, this is a pleasant surprise. May I ask the reason for this unexpected visit?”
 
 
“All will be explained in do time Jun. Is mom and dad home?” “They're in the kitchen getting dinner ready. Come on in and join us.” She started to head towards the kitchen until her brother called out to her.
 
 
“Uh…there's a problem with that.” Turning around she saw him still outside the doorway. To help explain, he placed a hand on the doorway but it couldn't go in the apartment. “Oh, how forgettable can I be? I forgot that you can't enter a person's home unless you get invited by a person who lives there. So, come on in. I invite you in.” Slowly he stepped in where nothing happened. “Now with that out of the way let's go see mom and dad.”
 
 
Getting no argument from him, they went to the kitchen to see their father sitting at the table reading the newspaper while their mother was standing over the stove cooking dinner with her back towards them and so far neither of them noticed their entrance. “Who was that at the door Jun?” “It was someone that we know mom and you guys will be surprise by who it is.” Turning their attention away from what they were doing, they gasp in surprise when they saw their son.
 
 
Forgetting her stuff on the stove their mother ran over and pulled him into a loving hug. “Daisuke, my darling son. It's so good to see you.”
 
 
“Come on honey let the boy go before you suffocate him.” Letting go, she look down in embarrassment. “Sorry about that. I guess I got a little carried away there.”
 
 
“No problem, mom. Besides, needing to breath isn't something that I need to worry about.” Daisuke exclaimed as if it was nothing important.
 
 
“That's right; you don't need to breathe to live. In that case allow your mother to give you another hug.”
 
 
Thankfully for Daisuke his sisters intervene. “Please mom, I think that you have done enough hugging today. Now why don't you let him tell us why he's here?”
 
 
It was then that everyone's attention was put squarely on Daisuke. “Wait a minute, who said that I need a reason to see my family?”
 
 
All three of them gave him a skeptical look. “Come on brother, you may now be a creature that bumps in the night but that still doesn't mean that we can't tell when you're hiding something.”
 
 
Realizing that there was no point in denying it anymore Daisuke gave up trying to lie. “All right, you got me. Why don't I discuss it over dinner?”
 
 
“My goodness, I left the food on the stove. I hope that it isn't ruined.” Rushing over Mrs. Motomiya went to check on the food with the others having a quickly laugh over it.
 
 
Dinner turned out great as all of them talked a variety of things. When the subject on why Daisuke came by in the first place he told them all about the necklace and what he was planning on doing later. “I must say that is something son and I see that you've adjusted to your new life.”
 
 
“Thanks dad. I'm just glad that you all are okay with what I've become.” Even though he didn't want to show it, Daisuke was hoping that his family wouldn't basically disown him.
 
 
“Why wouldn't we bro? I'll admit it was a little hard to take in at first but we're your family and nothing will change that.” It was obvious that Daisuke was touch by his family's kind words. “Changing the subject, are you sure that you want to destroy that necklace?” asked Jun. “I mean with you wearing that you would be basically invincible.”
 
 
“That would be true but that is why I want to go through with this. If I did start using it on a regular bases I would start to become overconfident which could get someone that I care for to get hurt and I couldn't live with myself if that happened.”
 
 
“Man, you've become a much deeper person than when you were alive.” joked Jun in the hopes of lighting the mood and it seemed to have worked. “I guess it took be being `killed' to be more insightful.”
 
 
Just when the family gathering was getting more entertaining, the front door was busted open as several armed men came running in and surrounded the entire Motomiya family. They forced them to go to the living room and despite the fact that Daisuke could've easily dealt with them, he held himself in check since if he resisted his family might get hurt in the process.
 
 
The sound of footsteps were suddenly heard as a man wearing a large dark trench coat and an old style hat came walking in and stood in front of his captives. “Ah, so this is Daisuke Motomiya. The vampire with a soul and has been making a name by taking out all those evil beings that have come his way. I must say that I'm not that impressed.”
 
 
“Well, if you think that then why don't you keep these guys out of it and allow me to show you have impressive I can be.” said Daisuke as he did his best in controlling the anger that was rising deep inside him.
 
 
Ignoring him, the apparent ring leader of the whole thing looked at the other Motomiyas. When he caught sight of Jun he grabbed her chin and examined her more closely. “My, you do have an attractive sister. Fortunately it looks as though she inherited the good looks of the family.”
 
 
“Keep your hands off my sister!” He was about to make a move until the goons pointed their guns at his parents causing him to stand back.
 
 
The leader of the group saw that it was time for him to get to the business at hand. “I'll get right to the point on why I'm here. You happen to have something that I want and I am here to get it. Now hand me the necklace of Asmara or your sister will become just like you, if you know what I mean.”
 
 
Knowing that he was in a serious situation, Daisuke had no choice but to do as he was told. Reaching around his neck he took off the necklace and reluctantly handed it over to the man where he let go of his sister. After making sure that it was in fact the real thing he motioned his men to begin leaving the apartment till he was only one left.
 
 
“Well, I must say that this was an entertaining meeting but at last it must come to an end.” Walking off he began to leave until he suddenly stopped and turned around. “Oh, before I go I want to leave you with a little memento from me, Balthazar.”
 
 
Reaching into his trench coat, he pulled out a small object and stuck it to the wall before leaving. Inching over the Motomiyas went to examine the item that was left behind. Getting a closer examination Daisuke saw a timer with the number ten on it and it was counting down. “Everyone get down!” Moving quickly he ran over where he grabbed the item and toss it through the window, just mere seconds before it exploded.
 
 
“Is everyone all right?” “We're okay Daisuke. Just a little shaken up.” answered Jun. After a closer inspection it was confirmed that both of their parents were indeed fine.
 
 
“Who were those people brother?” On the verge of going on the warpath, Daisuke looked out the window where he could see explosion cloud disappearing. “I don't know Jun but when I do I'll find them and make them pay for what they have done”
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
 
“Do you think he's all right?”
 
 
“I'm sure that he's fine Hikari. Besides, he's practically invincible with that necklace on. Anyways, he isn't someone who would do something crazy.” Soon after he said those words, Daisuke came bursting through the door with a very ticked off look in his eyes. He immediately went over to Takeru to get the information that he needed.
 
 
“Takeru, what do you know about a vampire named Balthazar?”
 
 
“I don't know that much. What I do know is that he's a powerful vampire who's said to be over two hundred years old. Why are you asking all of a sudden?”
 
 
“Because he came and paid a visit to me and my family.” Daisuke answered with anger in his voice.
 
 
“Are you serious? I mean are you sure that it was him?”
 
 
“He said his name was Balthazar and I could sense that he was a vampire, so I'm pretty sure that he was the real deal. He also took the necklace from me. Now are you going to help me find him or not?”
 
 
Takeru was taken back by the venom that was in his friend's voice. It took him a second to answer. “O-Of course I'll help. Just give me an hour and I will get the info that we need.” He ran out of the house leaving Daisuke and Hikari behind.
 
 
Completely ignoring her, Daisuke went over to his weapons cabinet and started to choose the weapons that he was planning on using.
 
 
“Daisuke what are you planning on doing when we find out where Balthazar is staying?”
 
 
Not even bothering to turn around to reply he answered her. “Isn't it obvious? When I find him, I'll kill him and anyone else who is associated with him.”
 
 
“Please Daisuke, I know that you're obviously upset by what he tried to do with your family but you can't let it could your better judgment.” “Now isn't the time to try and teach me some moral lesson Hikari. I can deal with them trying to kill me, it isn't the first time and it certainly won't be the last. But I'll be damned if they use my family as a way to get to me.”
 
 
“Fine, you may not listen to reason but I'm going with you to make sure that you don't go too far.”
 
 
Pulling out a large rifle Daisuke looked at her with the same determine look that he had before. “Very well then, do as you want. Just don't get in my way or I might mistake you as the enemy.”
 
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
 
Later that Day…
 
 
“Are you sure that this is the right place?”
 
 
“I'm sure of it Daisuke. All my sources have said that some vampire with a lot of money has made a place for itself here.” answered Takeru.
 
 
The three of them were currently in front of a fabulous mansion. “Well, if this is indeed the place then let's go on in and take care of business.”
 
 
Before he could go more than two steps he was stopped by Hikari. “But aren't you forgetting something? You can't enter a person's home until you're invited by someone who lives there.”
 
 
“Fortunately that rule doesn't apply here.” By the confuse looks that he received he went ahead and elaborated on it. “That rule doesn't work here because it only implies to humans and secondly, the people that lived here are no longer with us.”
 
 
“You mean that they're dead? But how can you be so sure?”
 
 
“I can smell the remains of human blood in the area and seeing as though this place doesn't look like it has many visitors I believe it's from the owners.” Cocking his rifle he turned to his friends. “Okay you guys, I want you to carefully sneak in while I take the high road.”
 
 
Not waiting for a reply he ran to the mansion where he then leapt to the second story balcony and entered through the jointing window.
 
 
“We better hurry up and do our part of the plan.” Once again Hikari stopped someone from moving, this time being Takeru.
 
 
“Wait a minute Takeru. Don't tell me that you're going ahead with this.”
 
 
With a heavy sigh he answered her question. “No, I'm not okay with this plan. I know what Daisuke wants to do and I hope that he doesn't go through with it.”
 
 
“But what if he does try to kill everyone in the building? I mean, Balthazar is one thing but all those goons of his are human and we can't let him have human blood on his hands.”
 
 
“I know. That's why if he tried to sink his pointy teeth into anyone's neck I'll knock his lights out.” He further explained by lifting up his wooden bat.
 
 
Seeing that they couldn't waste anymore time they cautiously entered the mansion and fortunately they hadn't encountered any trouble. They finally arrived to a closed double doorway. Slowly they opened the doors which lead to an aisle way that went around the whole room and two separate stairways that went to an amazing room that resembled a ballroom. Each of them quickly hid behind some stone pillars as they peered in to see six men in lines of two and it appeared as though they were waiting for something or someone.
 
 
The answer came when a door from the other side of the room opened and entered a man who obviously had to be Balthazar. After doing a small examination of his men he went to stand in front of them. “First off, I want to congratulate all of you for a fine job you've done. You were definitely worth the money that was asked for.” To show their appreciation all the men let out a cheer and holler. “Now that we've gotten rid of that little Daisuke disturbance we can go ahead with my plan without any trouble.”
 
 
As soon as those words were said one of the men fell to the ground in a heap. He wouldn't be the only one as two more were dealt in the same manner as they went to check on their fallen companion “Seach the area. Find where those shots had come from.” Searching all around, Balthazar and the three remaining men searched for the intruder. “There he is. Open fire.” Pointing to a darken area of the room stood Daisuke with rifle in hand.
 
 
Once they sighted him the men drew out their hand guns and opened fire. Moving quickly Daisuke got out of the way and continued to do so for a minute. Coming to his aid, both Takeru and Hikari came out of hiding to deal with two of the men.
 
 
With them dealing with them, Daisuke had the chance to confront Balthazar only to have the last remaining goon to step in-between them. He pointed the gun at Daisuke and pulled the trigger only for it to come out empty. Realizing the situation, both of them threw their guns aside, ready to go at it hand to hand.
 
 
The goon was the first one to act as he started to perform several martial arts maneuvers which was for nothing more than to intimidate. But when he stopped he was dealt with as Daisuke knocked him out with one solid punch to his face. “Well, I must say that I'm somewhat surprise that you're here.” commented Balthazar as there was no one left to stand in-between them. “I thought you would be kindling with the rest of your family.”
 
 
That little remark caused Daisuke to look at Balthazar with a piercing glare. “Sorry to disappoint you but I'm still alive and kicking. Well, as much alive as I can be under the circumstances.” Coming over, Takeru and Hikari stood behind their friend since they were able to take down the two remaining goons.
 
 
“Tell me something.” asked Daisuke. “Why did you go through all this trouble to get one necklace? I mean, the necklace of Asmara is no ordinary necklace but there has to be another reason for doing all this.”
 
 
“You would be correct Motomiya. Indeed, the necklace of Asmara is rare and valuable but there is another thing beside the obvious. Inside the jewel that's connected to it contains a liquid that can be use to make a serum to allow any vampire who drinks it to be impervious as if they were wearing the actually necklace. Imagine if I were to mass produce that serum and sell it to anyone that would be willing to pay for it. I would become one of the richest people in the world.”
 
 
“Well sorry to break the news to you but that won't be happening.” Going for his belt he pulled out a wooden stake and without warning threw it right into Balthazar's heart.
 
 
Expecting him to be turned to dust, they were shocked when he just smiled and removed the stake from his heart. “Nice try Motomiya. Under different circumstances that move would've worked. Unfortunately for you it didn't.” Reaching under his shirt he pulled out the necklace Asmara.
 
 
“As you can see that you can't hurt me let alone kill me.”
 
 
With seriousness in his eyes, Daisuke turned his attention towards his friends. “Takeru, Hikari. Could you please get of harm's way? This is something that I need to do on my own.”
 
 
Doing as he asked the both of them went to watch from the second level of the building. “Now that they're out of the way, what do you say we settle this?”
 
 
Instead of answering him with words Balthazar took off his trench coat so he was wearking only a black muscle shirt and pants. Taking that as a yes both men didn't waste another minute as they two charged at each other.
 
 
Neither one held anything back as they went blow for blow without showing any sign of letting up. The fight turned when Daisuke was tossed into a stone pillar. “Give it up Motomiya. There is no way that you can beat me.”
 
 
Spitted out the blood that was in his move, Daisuke got back to his feet. “We'll just see about that won't we?” Waiting until Balthazar was closer he put him again the pillar and after taking out his collapsible sword, stabbed him right in the heart.
 
 
Just like last time with the stake, Daisuke's sword did nothing except for pinning Balthazar to the pillar. “Hasn't it sunk into that feeble mind of yours? I can't be killed as long as I wear this necklace.”
 
 
“Then allow me to remedy that problem.” With his free hand, Daisuke yanked off the necklace. Looking at the necklace now in Daisuke's hand then the sword that was still stabbed into his heart it didn't take long for Balthazar to realize what that meant.
 
 
Before he could say a word he turned into a pile of dust. Turning his attention to a different direction Daisuke walked over to what were Balthazar hired guns who the majority of them were coming to. “Your boss has been dealt with and if you know what's good for you you'll leave this town and never comeback or you might wine up like him.”
 
 
To help them get a better understanding he changed his face to his vamp form. “Do we have an understanding?” Nodding their heads they turned around and left.” Collapsing his sword back into the sleeve of his jacket, Daisuke looked up to Takeru and Hikari. “Let's go home.”
 
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
 
“So…what are you going to do know?” questioned Takeru. They were at Daisuke's house sitting around his desk with the necklace of Amara in the middle. “I mean, you can still destroy it but before you do that you can take that liquid that's inside it so you can become invincible.
 
 
“You do have a point there my friend. This will take some time to think it over.” Less than a minute after Daisuke grabbed a stake from his desk and with the blunt end of it he smashed it onto the necklace, breaking it into tiny pieces. “Decision made and followed through.”
 
 
“What did you do that for?!” asked Takeru in disbelief.
 
 
“I did it Takeru because it was necessary. That thing was too dangerous to be in anyone's hands and that's including mine.” Gathering all the pieces of the now destroyed necklace he gave them a glance. “To once again to be able to walk in the sun has always been a dream of mine.” Without another thought he tossed them into the trash.
 
 
“But that is all that it can be a dream. I must remain in the shadows doing whatever I can to make a difference.”
 
 
“It's amazing that someone who has to live in darkness can bring so much light to those around him.” said Hikari in a touching tone.
 
 
“This is my gift but it's also my curse and I am the one that must live with it.” Going over to the door he put on his jacket. “Well, time to go back to work.” Opening the door he went out to go on patrol.
 
 
“Do you think he did the right thing Takeru?”
 
 
“I like to say yes but I can't Hikari. He just threw away an opportunity to have a somewhat normal life. What kind of man would do that?”
 
 
“Not an ordinary man that's for sure. But from a man who is destined to do great things.” remarked Hikari as she looked towards the door that Daisuke walked out of.
 
 
There you go readers. I hope you enjoyed that chapter. Also, before you go please leave a review about what you thought about the chapter. You can talk about the entire series if you want. I hope to have the next chapter out within end of the month or the beginning of the next one. No promises though.