Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Compatible ❯ Compatible ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]




COMPATIBLE



COMPATIBLE.

"Let 's see . . . there appears to be enough carrot cake left for two. Would you like a slice Taichi?" Koushiro thought about that. "Actually, don't bother replying. I'll just bring you yours."
"You know me too well, Koushiro." But Taichi's smile wasn't as big as it usually was.
"What's the problem?" the younger boy asked, handing his friend the slice of cake.
Taichi didn't ask how he knew there was a problem. "Dude, do you think I spend too much time at your house?"
Koushiro considered the question carefully. Tai did come over an awful lot, but Koushiro had never thought about it. It was nice having Tai around the place, even if they weren't really doing anything.
"No. I mean, you're no hindrance to my usual past-times and I enjoy our discussions. What makes you ask?"
Tai shrugged. "Yesterday when I was going home I accidentally called your father 'Dad'."
Koushiro blinked then started laughing. "I see."
"You don't think that's a problem?"
"No. After all, given the amount of time we spend together, I'm surprised I don't call you 'older brother.'"
Taichi snickered. "Are you sure I shouldn't be the one calling you that?"
Koushiro smiled, hopping onto the sofa by Taichi. "Possibly. Our respective ages don't seem to make much difference to our friendship. In fact, given our differing spheres of interest I think we're remarkably compatible."
"I like you lots too, Kou-kun," Taichi said, finishing the cake. "You free this Saturday?"
"Why?"
Taichi shrugged. "Hikari and I were thinking of having a party for all the digi-destined. It's the almost anniversary of our last digital adventures."
"An almost anniversary?"
"Well, Mimi's father's coming to Japan on business and he's brining her, and it's our only chance to get the whole gang together really. You in?"
"Well, I had arranged to play cyber chess with my friends but I can easily reschedule."
"Great!"
--oOo--
Koushiro sat on the edge of the sofa, looking around the room at the mixed collection of people he knew as 'friends.' Mimi was back, her hair returned to its original shade of brown although the stars remained. She was giving Hikari a lesson in applying nail polish. Miyako was kneeling beside her, copying assiduously--on, and Koushiro had to try hard not to smile too widely, Daisuke of all people.
Miyako certainly had a way with people. Daisuke had stated his intention of not getting involved with anything so girly loudly and clearly. Miyako had told him to 'sit down and shut up,' and with a surprised expression Daisuke had done that. He was now sulking quietly, only slightly appeased by the fact that she'd at least chosen to paint his nails a bright red he approved of, and by the fact that Chibimon had eaten, or at least tried to eat, Miyako's scarf.
"So, as I was saying I have a problem and I need you guys' advice."
Koushiro returned his attention to Sora. She was looking at him rather expectantly. He looked at his companions and saw the problem. Jyou was sitting in the corner--he said he was listening but he was reading a textbook and hadn't noticed when Poromon had rolled into his foot during the digimon's game of 'Catch Gatomon's tail.' Takeru and Iori were watching a movie, which left only Yamato and Taichi.
They didn't inspire much hope.
They were having a competition to see who was better at catching M&M's with their mouths. Yamato was winning, mainly because Taichi was laughing so hard he could barely sit up. Koushiro sighed.
"What is it you require assistance with?"
"There's this guy I like at school," Sora began, blushing a little bit.
Yamato groaned, abandoning the contest. "It would be this, wouldn't it?"
"Shut up," Sora thwapped him with her pillow. "I didn't ask for sarcastic commentary."
"Yeah, Yamato. This sounds interesting." Taichi slid onto his stomach. "Who is it?"
"I'm not telling."
"Is it someone I know?"
"Tai, what part of 'not telling' do you not comprehend?" Sora said firmly. "As I was saying, I have a problem. I like him a lot. He likes me. And we do stuff together--you know, boyfriend/girlfriend type stuff. But he refuses to be called my boyfriend and I want to work out whether or not we are dating."
"That's sounds complicated," Koushiro admitted.
"If I tell you what sort of stuff we do, can you guys tell me whether or not you agree that it constitutes dating?"
"Sora, you sure you want to ask us? I mean, I haven't had a good run with girlfriends--"
"That should be girlfriend, singular," Yamato pointed out. "And didn't she dump you when you missed a date to watch a soccer game?"
"Dude, it was the world cup!"
"And I've never had a girlfriend," Koushiro said. "And Yamato . . ."
"What about Yamato?" Sora asked.
"Yamato doesn't have girlfriends. He has obssessed stalkers," Taichi said. "No offence, Daisuke."
"None taken," Daisuke shrugged. "Jun's psycho."
"I still think you can help me," Sora said. "After all, you're guys. Guys and girls have different opinions of these things."
"I admit that does seem logical," Koushiro said. "Proceed."
"Well he hangs out with me a lot, whenever he's not at a lesson or doing stuff with his friends. We talk on the phone almost every day even if we don't have anything to say, and despite the fact we see each other everyday."
"So? Friends do that," Yamato shrugged.
"It sound like dating to me," Taichi disagreed.
"And me," Koushiro added. "Although it could just be a strong friendship. What about couple-type things?"
Sora nodded. "We go to the movies together, and he's had dinner with my parents--"
"It's Yamato isn't it?" Taichi said suddenly.
"What?"
"This guy you like."
Koushiro laughed as Sora blushed further.
"Maybe."
"Woo! Dude!" Taichi punched Yamato lightly on the arm. "Why didn't you tell me?"
"You didn't tell me," Takeru chimed in.
"There's nothing to tell," Yamato said icily, rubbing his elbow.
"Then why are you getting so grumpy?" Koushiro asked. Normally he would not have dared to tease Yamato but this was too good an opportunity to resist.
"I am not getting grumpy!" Yamato snapped.
"If you say so," Taichi grinned at Sora. "Continue please."
"That's it actually," Sora shrugged. "Are we dating? I think so but Yamato refuses to admit it--"
"We just happen to be okay friends--" Yamato argued.
"Okay friends? Dude! You're practically engaged--" Taichi had by now managed to get Takeru, Daisuke and the girls interested in teasing Yamato. The blonde scowled at all of them as they congratulated him.
"I'm not dating Sora!"
Koushiro hid a smile, his attention falling on Tai who was lying on the floor with his legs on the sofa, and a thoughtful expression on his face. "Taichi, you've been quiet for a while."
"I've been thinking."
Yamato sighed. "That's a new one."
Taichi kicked him. "Dude, according to those specifications, Koushiro and I are dating."
Koushiro blinked. "What?"
That appeared to be the reaction of the rest of the members of the conversation. Yamato snickered.
Taichi rolled over onto his stomach to look at him.
"Well when you think about it . . . who do I spend most of my free time with?"
"And we did go to the movies together last week--" Koushiro nodded.
"And you're already following each other's thought patterns," Sora laughed.
Yamato smirked. "You argue like an old married couple."
"But we always make up," Taichi concluded. "Isn't that right, Kou-kun?"
Koushiro laughed. "Remember our last fight?"
"Man, that was hilarious," Taichi cracked up.
"What's the joke?"
"We had this stupid argument. I can't even remember what about--"
"Taichi stormed off swearing he wasn't going to talk to me until I apologised. I wasn't going to talk to him until he admitted I was right. Three hours later, I decided to phone him and apologize and what happens?"
"What?" Sora asked, pulling her knees up onto her chair.
"Tai phoned at the exact same minute to apologize to me."
"That sounds like dating to me," Takeru grinned.
"That sounds weird," Iori disagreed.
"Well, I think they're dating," Yamato said, poking Tai with his foot. "How long have you been hiding this, Yagami? Had you no thought for our friendship?"
"Why you--" Tai grabbed Yamato's foot and pulled him off the sofa.
Sora squealed and moved out of the way. "Aren't you going to step in and defend your koi, Koushiro?"
"Aren't you going to defend yours?" I countered. "By the way, I think Tai can handle himself."
She agreed watching Yamato and Tai rolling around on the floor. "I don't want to get mixed up in that." She frowned, suddenly, attention falling on a previously silent member of the group.
"Well Ken, what's your opinion of this mess?"
Ken hesitated.
He was still a far way from over his shyness of the older digi-destined, although Daisuke's friendship had done much to bring him out of his self-imposed solitude.
"You must have made your own evaluation of the situation," Koushiro encouraged gently. "Give us your unbiased views."
"Well," Ken looked his hands nervously. Then dropped the proverbial bombshell. "My brother told me it's not actually dating unless you kiss."
Koushiro's mouth dropped open.
"Good point!" Sora said enthusiastically. "Did you hear that Tai-kun?"
"Tai-kun?" Yamato demanded outraged, then clamped a hand over his mouth. Taichi laughed at him.
"You're not dating?" He blinked as he realized everyone was looking at him. "What?"
"Ken just made a very interesting point," Mimi said with a wicked grin. "He said you're not actually dating until you kiss."
"Kou-kun," Taichi looked at him. "You want to kiss?"
"I believe it is standard procedure in these circumstances," Koushiro said, his mouth going dry.
"Well then, let's make it official--" Taichi didn't give himself a moment to reconsider, moving to sit by the younger boy and taking hold of his chin. Koushiro had barely time to blink before he was being bent back in his first kiss--
Tai was good at kissing, Koushiro noted absently. He hesitantly wound his arm around Tai's neck in an attempt to prolong the kiss further. Tai seemed to have the same idea, his lips lingering over Koushiro's--then it was over.
The room was perfectly silent for a moment--just long enough for what had just happened to sink in.
Then . . .
"Dude! You just kissed Koushiro!"
Koushiro was sorry as Taichi pulled away to answer Daisuke.
"Of course I did, Dai. Didn't you hear? We're dating."
"Oh," Daisuke blinked. "Oh, well that's all right then."
"That's all right then?" Takeru demanded incredulously. "That's all you've got to say?"
"One less person to hit on Hikari--" Daisuke shrugged.
Takeru, Hikari and Miyako immediately began screeching at him.
The older kids laughed again.
"So, where are you two going on your first official date then?" Sora asked.
"I don't know," Taichi said, sitting on the sofa next to Koushiro. "Where would you like to go, Kou-chan?"
"I don't mind. Where do you want to go, Tai-chan?"
"They'd probably end up going to a sports event--"
"Just as long as its not a soccer game--"
"No it has to be something they'd both enjoy--"
"The sport's section in the library--"
"Then they can go to an internet café afterwards--"
"Oh dear," Sora said, wiping at her cheeks. "I'm laughing so much I'm crying."
"Me too. Oh, is that the door?"
"Pizza!" Taichi was off the sofa instantly.
Koushiro didn't trail after Tai and the others immediately. He needed a moment to regain his thoughts.
By the time he joined the others the conversation had passed onto other things and the incident was forgotten.
--oOo--
Actually, not quite forgotten.
Koushiro slid into the seat in the sport's section with an embarrassed air. The rational part of him insisted that the whole incident was a joke--and that Taichi did not--could not--have meant any of it.
So why was he waiting at the location jokingly suggested as the location of their date?
I need to work on this assignment, and its too noisy at home, he thought firmly. And I'm working in the sport's section because I thought I'd like a change.
The excuse would not have stood up to a prolonged interrogation by any of his friends.
Or even himself.
Koushiro pulled out his science textbook with a sigh. He couldn't believe he was doing this . . .
A few minutes later there was a thud beside him.
Koushiro blinked as Tai, having dumped his school bag sat down next to him.
"What are you doing here?" he asked, a dry feeling creeping back into his throat.
"School project," Tai said tersely. "You?"
"Homework."
Koushiro looked carefully at the book is his lap. He'd never found science so interesting--he was sure his ears were bright red.
Taichi laughed suddenly. "Sora was right. We do think alike."
Koushiro had to grin to. "So we are dating then?"
"I guess so," Taichi said. He shook his head. "Wait till we tell the others about this."
"Aren't you forgetting something?" Koushiro asked.
"What's that?"
"We have to make it official first," Koushiro whispered.
So they did.

End.