Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Countertop Haze ❯ Haze ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~~Disclaimers/Notes~~ This was started waaaay before Wicked Chains, and BH, and Oasis-it's one of my early attempts. You'll notice the difference in writing in the end and beginning…^_^;; But I came across this recently, and decided to finish it, for sheer fun. Couldn't do a full lemon scene, but you get some good kissing!

That reminds me. This is Yaoi, boy boy, and good Daisuke/Ken action!! Whee!!!

~~Countertop Haze~~

The very air seemed hazy, like looking through a fogbank. It was quiet in here, the room filled with people he knew and trusted.

And loved.

Ken closed heavy eyelids, feeling wonderfully euphoric as he took another sip of the fruity drink that was nearly gone. Smiling, and not realizing he looked very languid and alluring as he did so, he slowly worked his eyes open and looked around the room.

He suspected that he was more than slightly drunk, but the idea was out of his head with the next sip.

Kari and Miyako were seated on the couch across the room. For a moment Ken admired the feministic beauty the two had as they giggled over a shared secret. He almost giggled with them, but settled for a wolfish grin, even though he was halfway across the room, and didn't know the joke. He looked up to see Takeru sidle into the room at that moment, laughing over his shoulder.

Daisuke must be in the kitchen then.

Lord he was drunk. Hmm…well on his way to being, at least. He shouldn't be thinking about the redhead, not with the effect he had on the child of Kindness. Not with those adorable eyes and that curved grinning mouth… Besides, who knew how the Child of Courage felt. Ken had certainly never tried to admit his feelings, or learn Daisuke's.

Maybe tonight he would try, at least.

Ken swallowed, feeling slightly afraid and more than a little nervous. It wasn't fair. Daisuke wasn't in the room: he couldn't do anything if Daisuke wasn't around.

Wait…did he want to do something that could compromise his heart? Ken paused in tilting his empty glass over his mouth to catch the last drops and frowned at it. He hadn't come to the small party intending to do something. What exactly should he do?

Carefully setting his glass on the small coffee table adjacent to his chair, the indigo-haired genius sat very still and pondered his choices for the evening. On one hand he could ask someone what he could try to show how he felt, but he wasn't sure if he wanted the rest of them to know.

Daisuke had been something he had watched and subtly loved from a distance for the last 4 years. The redhead was fast becoming the top priority in Ken's life. Four years of an all-encompassing irresistible unattainable love.

Ken knew that being in love and being drunk at the same time would end up being trouble. A lot of trouble. Sighing, Ken eyed his glass and reached to pick it up again.

Second option…get roaring drunk and let'm rip.

And there was more drinks waiting for him in the kitchen. The kitchen that Daisuke currently occupied.

Iori peered up at him as Ken rose somewhat unsteady. The 13 year old smiled faintly, leaning back as Takeru slid onto the floor nearby. As he walked somewhat steadily pass the two, Ken idly wondered if Takeru ever got around to kissing the solemn boy.

Lord knows that Takeru had wanted to.

If the looks that the blond were giving him any indication, Iori might find out tonight.

Ken grinned to himself, his eyes fastened on the kitchen entry and stepped carefully around the coffee table. The girls giggled in the background. As he looked back, he could've sworn that Kari's hand was resting shockingly close to the inside of Miyako's thigh.

Snickering, Ken stepped through the door of the kitchen, squinting slightly in the brighter light. Swaying slightly in a momentary pause to scan the room, the violet-eyed teen forced back an involuntary shiver and anticipation.

~*~

~He's drunk.~

Clouded brown eyes lifted from the empty glass as Ken stepped slowly into the lighted area, emerging like a villain in the movie, from the shadows. Daisuke felt his lips curl into a broad parody of his regular grin. ~Drunk, like I'm supposed to be,~ he reminded himself.

Bitterness slid through him, and he rolled the dregs of the fruit juice sans alcohol in the cup. Ken smiled at him, his eyes warmer than the usual distance, his hair mussed. The butterflies, though, were storming his insides now, chasing the bitterness and the shakiness away. Time seemed to stop and Daisuke sent a small thank-you in the direction of Takeru for setting this up.

He would have never managed to even say "Hello" on his own. Oh god, facing Ken…Daisuke wondered why exactly he wasn't drunk for this.

~You'd do something stupid and panic,~ a small voice whispered to him.

~And acting like it isn't stupid?~ he replied, not convinced that sitting here and pretending to be drunk while Ken was around was the better idea. ~I can't believe Takeru convinced me to do this…bakabakabaka.~ Kissing Ken, or at least admitting to him that he felt something was…was…

Thrilling.

For a brief moment Daisuke watched from lowered brows, barely breathing as Ken poured himself a refill, his back turned, and ambled over. His thoughts filled with a single image and imagined feelings of the kiss-to-be, Daisuke prayed that the blush on his face was from the drink, or so believed.

~Beautiful,~ he thought, and raised his glass to drain the last of the juice.

"Not sitting with the rest?" Ken asked slowly.

Daisuke promptly forgot to breathe as he opened his eyes to see Ken lounging against the counter next to him. "Um…join me for a drink?" he offered in a thick voice, and raised his glass.

Ken sent a slow-blooming smile that sent ripples of heat through him and carefully raised himself onto the low ledge. Daisuke gave him a hopefully foolish snicker, and poured more of the clear liquid juice from the sake bottle he had confiscated earlier. Thank god it was only grape juice; he had already drank half.

"So?"

"Huh?" Daisuke turned his head with the glass raised half way.

"Why sit in here alone?" Ken repeated.

Daisuke shrugged and gave him a confused look. "Don't know," he muttered, and realized he had downed half of the juice with a single swallow. Grimacing he reached again for the sake-juice bottle and upended it.

Then he sighed in mock frustration, saying "Damn," as only a few more drops spilled out. Beside him, Ken smiled as Daisuke attempted to roll the empty bottle into the near sink with a clatter.

"Gotta be a reason, Dai," he replied after a mighty effort to calm his face.

Daisuke felt very cold and hot at the same time. "Oh…naww…."

Then he looked up to see a very close Ken, peering at him with bright eyes and flushed face and swallowed.

"I think…" Ken began.

Daisuke couldn't tear himself away from the movement of those lips, the glint of white teeth. "Hmm?" he purred. ~God, what if I AM drunk?!~ His eyes traced along the smooth cheek, back up to the indigo eyes.

"I think, Dai-chan, that you're hiding something."

Ken sounded positively gleeful and mischievous. Daisuke inhaled slowly, his gaze still caught within the blue only a few inches away. "Really…" he sounded softly.

Nodding enough to make his hair shift over his pale face, Ken smiled again, freely and openly.

"Why do you think that, Ken?"

"Because…I…think…you…are…" Ken replied so very slowly, as if it made sense to everyone if he spoke slowly.

Daisuke, helplessly entranced by the flash of seriousness over the beautiful countenance in front of him, laughed under his breath. "You're priceless," he whispered a moment later, and dropped his gaze to his empty glass.

"Did I have a price before? Can't seem to find the tag…"

The redhead looked up, mildly confused as he witnessed the boy seated next to him examining the edges of his clothing and frowning. In spite of himself, he giggled. "No tag…just priceless…" he remarked from behind his hand.

Ken shot him a muddled look, trying to pout and smile brilliantly at the same time. "Are you drunked?" he replied delicately, and leaned closer.

~Damn this pretense,~ he thought, and covered it with a second smile. "So? You're drunk too," he pressed a single finger against the oh so warm chest of Ken. It must have sent some sort of signal to him, for he sat back and laughed, leaning comfortably against the wall.

~Or he's just trying to hold himself up.~

"Could be," Ken admitted after a second. His face flushed, whether from drink or the laughter Daisuke couldn't tell. Swinging his legs and eyeing the red-haired teen from the corner of his eyes, the two sat in silence for a moment.

Daisuke took the moment to phrase his words. "But you never drink…" ~Maybe now he'll tell me why,~ he thought, and swiveled his head to watch Ken take another drink. His eyes slid away, elusive and unmistakable.

"I am t'night," Ken counters.

Daisuke shifted on the counter, pulling a leg up beneath him to face what he feared to love. "What else?" He can tell that Ken's hiding something. Even on those days when he was reclusive and moody, Daisuke could tell. "I know youuuu," he drawled.

Being drunk must make him more open than usual. Ken glanced at Daisuke with a startled faintly yearning look, and held the contact for long seconds.

~If only he wasn't drunk… He'd never manage to look at anyone this long.~

"Dai…" Before the words made it out of his mouth he turned away, a delicate scowl on his face.

"He~ey…you can tell me!" Daisuke points out, and before he realized it, he was reaching out with both hands, tilting the flushed face back towards him. Ken met his gaze with incredibly expressive eyes, a dusky violet blue, shaded from the midnight colors. His pulse racing under Daisuke's fingertips, and the urge to kiss him swelled tenfold strong.

Breath came short, his mouth dried, and reflexively, Daisuke licked his lips, desire curling in his stomach as those incredible eyes inevitably followed the movements of his mouth. ~What would he do if I licked my finger?~ he thought with a wicked inner grin.

"Daisuke…"

"Hmm?"

"I think I'm really drunk…" he confides.

Daisuke smiled faintly, wistfully, at him, and slowly pulled his fingers away from the smooth skin. "It's okay…"

"No…I mean…" Ken blinked rapidly. "I…"

Daisuke watched slim fingers twitch, then turned away and looked for his cup. "Naw, don't worry, Ke-"

Hands tangled suddenly in his shirt and yanked him back around. With a yip of surprise Daisuke found himself facing Ken again, nearly sprawled against that slim chest, and looked at him in surprise. "Ken?" he whispered, feeling the hands tighten. Ken's face itself is a mask of frustration, hurt and a wisp of longing.

Indigo eyes intense upon his face, Ken inhales slowly, and scowls. "Listen. I-I'm not-"

Daisuke watched with confusion, bitter hurt and need warring within. "What are you trying to say?" he whispered finally, his face irresistibly close. ~What is it that you're hiding?~

~*~

Ken ran his eyes over the smooth tanned face, barely conscious of his fingers in the fabric of Daisuke's shirt-although, if he would have thought of it, only mere movements away from removing it completely-but he frowned delicately. What was it, again?

Oh-

"I…" Ken swallowed faintly. "I-" Eyes fluttered shut, and as Daisuke stared in amazement, he leaned forward until his head rested upon the thin shoulders, hands loosened until they merely clutched. "I don't think I can do this…" he managed to whisper.

Daisuke raised his hands to press at Ken's upper arms, the junction of the neck and shoulder tempting him with its clean lines, the mingled scent of Ken and fabric softener driving him insane. "Don't," he cleared his throat. "Don't do what?"

Ken made a slight sound, and slowly, under the guiding hands that Daisuke barely remembered touching those narrow shoulders with, straightened. As his did, his cheek brushing against the wild red hair Daisuke sported, and drew away. His hands fell away from the clothing, and before the boy could think, Ken had cupped them up around his face.

He caught a brief glimpse of slotted vibrant eyes before a mouth closed the space between them and covered his in a surprisingly hesitant kiss. Ken leaned in farther, pressing closer, as his mouth moved slowly against Daisuke's stunned lips.

~He's…kissing me…like, for real!~ whispered his just-as-stunned thoughts.

A faint murmur of appreciation in his throat, almost a purr, Daisuke tightened his hands upon the shoulders and held firm, his mouth angled and parting. He traced his tongue along the seam of the mouth against his, tasting sake and juice and a faint minty aftertaste. Ken exhaled in shock, and Daisuke stole the opportunity to slip his tongue inside.

He didn't know when his hands made their way to around the slim violet-haired boy's shoulders, or when Ken began to kiss him back with days of repressed need, of want-and Daisuke felt his desire pooling heatedly in his belly, pulling the other close enough to feel the heart beating frantically in the chest. He didn't remember rising up on his knees, and pushing forward until he was indecently sprawled atop the other Chosen, intent on kissing him senseless.

Daisuke slid his hands down the squirming flanks, his mouth drinking greedily from Ken's-he stifled a moan as those long legs rose to curl around his, tangled about the knees and ankles-and he shifted his mouth to attack the neck presented earlier. Ken arched, legs and arms pulling tight, and moaned, fingers sliding up under the shirt until Daisuke gasped.

"Oh, oh Daisuke…" Ken breathed out, eyes shut tight and face flushed. "Please-don't stop-don't you dare stop…"

"Mmm…" Daisuke agreed. "I won't," he husked out, mouth pressed against the collarbone, just beneath the rapid pulse fluttering in his throat. In a lower voice, while his fingers sneaked under the shirt and traced patterns over a nipple, he asked "But…is this why you drank tonight? So you could do this?"

"Uh huh…" Ken mumbled, heedless that his clothes were being opened, and the flesh of his torso exposed to Daisuke's ravaging mouth and hands. "Scared…"

Daisuke paused in shaking silence, trying to process this. "Scared…" he repeated, and raised his eyes to look into indigo orbs, shocked. "You didn't know what I'd do?"

Ken bit his lips, his eyes and face more expressive, oddly so, and Daisuke found an odd sense of affection spread through him. He smiled, then, faintly, as Ken watched him without speaking, eyes wide and slightly unfocused.

"You know…" Daisuke began slowly. "You didn't have to get drunk…" He ran a gentle hand over the cheek and smiled, sadness and relief and a slow warmth spreading through him.

"Daisuke-"

"Hmm?"

"You stopped!"

~*~

Morning sunlight, evil incarnate, peeked through the tiny gaps of the blinds and sought out the tightly shut eyes of Ken, Chosen Child of Kindness, dug painfully into his skull and began piercing his brain. He muttered a curse, and twisted until his head was buried into the chest beneath him, and yanked up the blanked over his head.

~…chest?~

Cautiously, he opened his eyes and braved the sun-stricken room, seeing a blur of his arm and the carpet, and a few heaps of other Children, strewn over the floor. He counted heads after a moment of thought, and wondered. His head pounded dully, as he moved enough to peer up at his makeshift pillow.

"Daisuke?!" he whispered harshly.

~Oh dear god-what have I done?~ he blushed furiously, as Daisuke stirred, yawning and blinking, and in panic drew himself back under the blanket until he was certain he wasn't seen.

Which put him face to face with Daisuke's stomach, bared from beneath sleep-rumbled clothes-his shirt had shifted up to around his ribs, thanks to Ken's arm around his waist. The blush intensified, as the muscles flexed, and then the legs, tangled with Ken's own long limbs.

A muffled "Ken?" reached his ears. "Hey-what are you doing?"

"Umm…"

Hands snaked underneath, tugging gently on shoulders and elbows until Ken found himself outside, in the dreadful light and under full strength of those chocolate eyes. Daisuke raised a brow, his hair delightfully mussed-Ken could only wince in horror at the thought of his own hair and appearance-and Daisuke shook his head in exasperation.

"And you were the one that didn't want to stop-" the redhead muttered, and shifted, pulling, until Ken was more or less situated on his chest again. "And drinking leads to bad behavior-"

Ken gasped and pushed himself upright. "We didn't!" he exclaimed.

Daisuke blinked up at him. "We what?" Understanding dawned, suddenly, at Ken's stricken look. "You don't remember last night?" he said with a faint frown.

Trembling, Ken shook his head. "It's kinda blurry," he whispered, eyes huge in his pale face, and hair sticking up wildly. He swallowed, and spoke, "What-why am I-"

Daisuke grinned at him. "From what I discovered last night," he said mischievously, "You had to get drunk to kiss me-"

Ken colored a horrible pink.

"But-" Daisuke yanked on the wrists and plunked the boy close again. "I wasn't-and I didn't want you to claim that it was because of the drinking. So I stopped."

Sprawled against that chest, and feeling the fingers wind through his hair, smoothing it as Daisuke stated his thoughts matter-of-factly, all he could think of was how close his face was. How endearingly cute the redhead was, mussed and sleep-ridden. "You…stopped?" he managed to squeak out. "So we didn't-"

"No-cuz I wanted you sober-" Daisuke replied, and leaned up to press his lips against the other. "So I could do this, and tell you this, and-"

"So you-you like me back?" Ken whispered, senses spinning and the world spinning in fractions around the two of them, but he didn't notice.

Daisuke nodded. "I didn't dare get drunk-I would've done something stupid. So…I was gonna get you drunk and ask you questions…" the boy blushed. "But then you kissed me, and it kinda went from there."

Ken laughed shakily, ducked his head against the shoulder, and inhaled a trembling breath. "So…It's all my fault?"

"Yeah," Daisuke said. "But it's okay-I'm a bad influence."

Then, to the delight of both of them, he drew the blanket up over their heads, and caught the face for another kiss. Which led to more kissing, and a few slow gropes-

-Until Takeru rolled over, kicking the end of the couch, and muttered, "Either stop moaning, or get a room fergossakes!" before pulling a sleeping Iori next to him again, and cuddling.

They both began to laugh, then, as Ken replied, "How about a countertop?" in a whisper to Daisuke.

And away they went.