Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Death of a Loved One ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Beelzemon sat with his back against one of the shrubs. On his lap with his arms wrapped around her was his thirty-four-year-old wife Valeri. His twelve-year-old daughter, Kirsten, sat beside him playing one of her video games.
“Honey, could you please turn down the volume? Yer mom’s tryin’ ta rest.”
Kirsten looked up at her father, blinking her red-tinted pale blue slitted eyes. “Sorry, Daddy.”
Beelzemon patted Kirsten’s head. “It’s alright, sweetie.”
Valeri smiled and looked around. She took a deep breath, taking in the fragrant smell of roses. “Oh, I love this place! It’s so beautiful.”
Beelzemon chuckled. “I know ya do. That’s why I brought you here. And so that Kirsten can see it too.”
“Yeah. Kirsten, darling, are you actually looking at this place?”
“Hm?” Kirsten looked up from her game for a moment then looked back down. “Yeah, sure.”
Valeri’s smile faded slightly. “Oh, come on, love. Actually look. Please?”
Kirsten heaved a sigh and turned off her game, setting it on the grass. She looked around. “I guess it is pretty.”
Beelzemon ruffled her hair fondly.
Valeri reached out and carefully plucked a dark rose from the bush behind her. She stroked the petals lightly. “Isn’t it pretty? So delicate, yet it can hurt.”
Beelzemon placed his hand over her hand. “Yes, unlike you,” he said, nuzzling her face. “You don’t hurt, you’re beautiful.”
Valeri blushed lightly with embarrassment. “Oh stop that!”
Beelzemon grinned. “How can I? It’s true.” He placed his hand on her cheek, tilting her head up.
Valeri smiled. “You really think so?”
“Of course.”
Kirsten looked away as her parents exchanged a kiss. “Gross….”
Beelzemon chuckled and planted a swift kiss on his daughter’s cheek.
“Beelzemon, can we drop by Mom’s?”
“Sure, hon.”
Kirsten perked up. “Grandma? Yay!” She leapt up.
Beelzemon chuckled and stood up. “I knew that’d get her happy.”
Valeri giggled then coughed.
“Honey, you alright?”
“I’m fine.”
“Ok. Are you certain you don’t want to go home?”
“Yes.”
“Alright.”
Valeri&# 8217;s mother was delighted to see them when she opened the front door. “Honey! What a nice visit! How are you?”
“Grandma!” Kirsten cried, throwing her arms around her grandmother.
Ms. Shinshiju giggled. “Hello, Kirsten.”
“I’m fine, Mom. How have you been?”
“Oh just fine. Working on lawsuits and what not. Well, come on in.”
Beelzemon and Kirsten walked inside to the living room. Beelzemon set Valeri down on the couch before sitting down beside her.
Valeri yawned.
“Are you tired, Mom?” Kirsten asked.
“Only a little.”
“Why don’t you take a nap?” Ms. Shinshiju suggested.
Valeri shook her head. “Nah, I’m fine.”
“Are you sure?” Beelzemon asked. “You don’t look so good.”
“Oh don’t be silly!” Valeri said with a giggle. “I’m just fine!” Suddenly she began coughing hard.
Everyone looked at her with concern.
“Honey, you Ok?!”
“Mommy?”
“Val?”
Valeri waved her hand at them as she continued coughing into her hand. When her coughing subsided, she looked up at them. “I’m Ok, really,” she said, her voice hoarse.
Beelzemon rubbed on Valeri’s back. “Are you sure?”
Valeri nodded. “Yes, I’m sure, sweetheart.” She flashed him a weak, reassuring smile.
Beelzemon frowned, still unconvinced. “Hm….”
Ms. Shinshiju stood up. “Why don’t I make dinner?”
Kirsten stood up. “I’ll help!”
Beelzemon turned to Valeri after the two left the room. “You sure yer Ok?”
Valeri nodded. “I’m fine. Don’t worry about me so much, it’s just a little cough.”
Beelzemon ran his hand across her cheek. “I always worry about you, Val.”
“I know.”
“You look tired. Sure you don’t want ta take a nap?”
Valeri furrowed her brow as she thought. “Well, I guess it couldn’t hurt….”
Beelzemon pulled Valeri up on him as he stretched himself out. Valeri made herself comfortable, resting the back of her head on the white linen of his jacket.
“Comfortable?” Beelzemon asked with a small smile.
Valeri looked up at him. “I’m a little cold.”
“Kay,” Beelzemon pulled the quilt from atop the couch and covered Valeri with it. “Better?”
Valeri smiled and snuggled down. “Yes.”
Beelzemon smiled, pleased she was happy.
Valeri planted a small kiss on his cheek. “I love you.”
Beelzemon returned it. “I love you too.”
Valeri breathed a happy sigh and closed her eyes.
Beelzemon watched his wife as she slept. It was one of his favorite pastimes.
Ms. Shinshiju walked in. She smiled at the sight of the two. “So you finally got her to take a nap?”
“Yup. Isn’t she pretty asleep?”
Ms. Shinshiju walked up to them. She planted a swift kiss on her daughter’s brow and readjusted the quilt. She straightened up.
Beelzemon ran his claws through Valeri’s hair, looking down at her fondly.
“Who would have thought my youngest would get married before my oldest. Or have a child! But oh well. She’s with a good person, right?”
Beelzemon smiled. “Of course she is! Bein’ with her for seventeen years has been great. Although Kirsten was a handful for awhile but we got through that.”
Ms. Shinshiju smiled. “And I’m proud of both of you. You’re great parents. Better than I was.”
Beelzemon frowned. “Don’t say that! You brought up Val just fine. You’re a good mother.”
Ms. Shinshiju sighed. “But I wasn’t there for her as much as I should have been. And I let that jackass hurt her. All I wanted was for her to be happy and have a good life. But until you came her life has been awful and she never told me about it until a few years ago. You’re good for her; you changed her for the better.”
“Just as she is for me. She’s changed me as well. For a long time I hated humans because they treated me poorly. I thought they were all the same…then I met Valeri. She’s the kindest, most considerate person I’ve ever met. I don’t know what I’d do without her. But anyway, I think I’ll take a nap too.”
“Well I’d better go see how Kirsten’s doing with dinner. I’ll send her to get you when it’s done.”
“Alright.”
Ms. Shinshiju walked out of the room.
Beelzemon’s eyes drooped close and his chin dropped on his chest as he went to sleep.