Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Death of a Loved One ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kirsten walked up to her parents. “Daddy, Mommy,” she whispered, shaking her father’s shoulder. “Time ta get up.”
Beelzemon’s eyes flickered open. “Hm?” He looked up at Kirsten. “Oh, hey honey. What’s up?”
“It’s time for dinner.”
“Ok. We’ll be in there in a minute.”
“Alright.” Kirsten left the room.
Beelzemon stifled a yawn and pulled himself up to a sitting position, making sure to pull Valeri up with him. “Val,” he said softly. “Val, it’s time ta get up, luv.”
When Valeri didn’t stir, Beelzemon wasn’t concerned. Ever since she had been sick, Valeri had been sleeping heavily and nothing could wake her before she was ready.
Beelzemon got up, laid Valeri down, and covered her with the quilt. Then he went into the kitchen, where Ms. Shinshiju was overseeing Kirsten as she cooked Beef Lo Mien and made sushi.
Ms. Shinshiju turned to Beelzemon. “Valeri going to eat?”
“Nah. Poor babe’s completely wiped out. She’s still snoozin’.”
“Ah, I see. Well, food is finished.”
“I know.” Beelzemon said as he sat down at the table.
Kirsten set a plate of Beef Lo Mien and sushi in front of her father before sitting down with her own plate.
Ms. Shinshiju leaned against the counter, sipping her coffee.
Beelzemon looked up at her. “Aren’t you goin’ ta eat?”
Ms. Shinshiju shook her head. “Nah, I ate earlier. Besides, I have a lot of paperwork to do.”
Beelzemon chuckled dryly and continued eating.
When Kirsten had finished with her meal, she went to the living room to wake her mother. She approached the couch as quietly as she could. “Momma? Mom, it’s time to get up.”
Valeri didn’t stir.
Kirsten shook her shoulder but got no response. She shook her shoulder again, harder this time, still no response. Kirsten frowned and walked out of the room.
Beelzemon looked up at his daughter. “Yer mom up yet?”
Kirsten shook her head. “Nope.”
Beelzemon sighed. “Don’t worry, she’ll get up later.”
Kirsten sat down in the chair beside her father. “She sleeps a lot.”
Beelzemon chuckled. “Yes. But when you work as much as she does and just got over a nasty cold, you’d sleep a lot too.”
Kirsten sighed. “I guess so.”
Beelzemon smiled and ruffled her hair. “Dinner was good, Kirsten. You did a good job.”
Kirsten smiled. “Thank you, Daddy!”
Beelzemon leaned over and kissed her brow.
Kirsten giggled and hugged her father. “I love you, Daddy.”
“I love you too, sweetie.” Beelzemon said as he pulled her up on his lap and hugged her.
Ms. Shinshiju smiled. “Now isn’t that a cute sight. Well, I’d better start on my paperwork.” she said, walking out of the room.
Ms. Shinshiju walked into the living room on her way to her room. She paused and looked at her daughter. She smiled when she saw that she was still sleeping peacefully.
Ms. Shinshiju walked up to the couch and straightened the quilt. She brushed a hand across her forehead to move the stray strands of hair on her face, then bent down to kiss her forehead. She frowned and straightened up. Valeri felt unusually cold.
Suddenly Ms. Shinshiju’s eyes widened. “No,” she whispered. She slipped her hand under the quilt, placing her it over Valeri’s heart. Tears gathered in her eyes. “No. BEELZEMON!”
Beelzemon suddenly appeared in t he doorway. “What? What is it?!”
Ms. Shinshiju pulled her hand away. “It’s Valeri.”
Beelzemon smiled. “Her? Oh, don’t worry,” He walked up beside Ms. Shinshiju and carefully picked Valeri up, cradling her in his arms. “I’m sure she’ll get up soon.”
“Daddy? What’s the matter?” Kirsten asked as she appeared in the doorway.
“Beelzemon,” Ms. Shinshiju said softly, her voice full of sorrow. “Valeri’s dead.”

“NO!” Valeri screamed, dropping to her knees, covering her face with her hands to stifle her sobs.
“Now do you see? I’m sorry I had to show you like that.”
Valeri shook her head. “It’s not fair! It’s just not fair….”
Diana sighed. She really hated dealing with souls like Valeri, it was frustrating and it hurt a little too.
Valeri stood up and walked away from the lake, unable to take it anymore. Even though she was dead, the pain in her heart felt like it was killing her. “I can’t take this. It’s too much,” she whispered as she sank down against a tree. She closed her eyes. “I just can’t….”
“I can take you to Heaven. It’ll hurt a lot less, I promise you. You’ll be a lot happier there than here.”
“But then I won’t be able to see my family. I don’t want to lose them.”
“But you really can’t stay here for long. At some time or another, you have to go to Heaven.”
Valeri shook her head. “No. I’m staying.”
Diana heaved an exasperated sigh. “Valeri…you can’t.”
Valeri stood up. “I don’t care! I’ll find a way!” She turned and stalked off.
Diana watched her until she was out of sight, shaking her head. “This is gonna be more difficult than I thought.” She turned back to the lake to watch the rest of the events unfold.