Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digi Trek: Koushiro - The Wrath of Ken ❯ The Kobayashi Maru ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

DIGI TREK: KOUSHIRO
THE WRATH OF KEN
By:
Maniacal Matt

Disclaimer: I don't own Digimon or Star Trek, and I certainly don't own any copyrighted things in here. All I own is my computer, and that ham and cheese sandwich that a fly decided to nest upon. Oh, and yeah, if there are some Trekkie terms here you don't understand…sorry 'bout that.
CHAPTER ONE:

The Kobayashi Maru

"First officer's personal log, stardate 41521.81. Starship, USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-F. I'm on bridge duty again, while the captain does who-knows-what in the holodeck. The crew has completed the primary objectives of the mission, and here I am, sitting, staring at a blank scre-"
Koushiro's words were suddenly interrupted by a rapid beeping coming from behind him. He immediately looked behind him to see the ship's science officer hitting multiple keys.
"Lorezian battlecruiser decloaking off the port bow." The officer finally said.
Koushiro stared at the officer in bewildered look on his face. "Decloaking?" he asked, one of his eyebrows slightly raised.
"Yes sir." The officer replied. "Their shields are up, and they're charging weapons."
"Red alert! All hands to battlestations!" Koushiro yelled. "Mr. Takaishi, evasive action. Mr. Ishida, raise shields."
The red alert horn blared, and red lights began to flash as the room darkened. The humming sound of the shields could be heard, since the room was totally quiet, ready to react to whatever the other ship had planned.
The science officer's voice then broke the silence. "Sir," he began, "four more battlecrusiers are decloaking. They're surrounding us! They are charging up a volley of plasma missiles…and firing."
The bridge shook violently as the ship took damage from the incoming missiles. Computer consoles exploded, crew members were thrown from their seats. Smoke began emanating from the cracks in the consoles.
"Mr. Hida, prepare to return fire!" Koushiro bellowed over the noise of collapsing bulkheads and screaming people.
Iori Hida, a young Vulcan, and also the Enterprise's tactical officer and chief of security, began to press some buttons on his console, but shook his head. "No power to the phaser capacitors, commander."
"Damn." Koushiro said softly. "Er, try the Transphasic Torpedoes, then..."
Iori began to press some buttons again, but all he got was a buzzer. "Torpedo room's been severely damaged."
The ship shook once again, more consoles exploded, and this time, some of the support beams above the bridge collapsed, bring rubber pipes and metal wires along with them. Sparks flew from broken light bulbs, and more people screamed as beams or other chairs fell on them.
Koushiro frowned, and then looked back at Iori. "Mr. Hida, can we fight back?"
Iori, once again, began to press some buttons, but his console exploded. Luckily, he jumped away just in the nick of time, or a piece of thick wire would've hit him in between his eyes. "I guess not, commander! The weapons console is offline!"
Just then, Matt, who was manning the engineering console, had an idea. "What if we used the deflector to create some sort of shield thing that would make their weapons fire rebound off it, and hit their ships instead? We could reconfigure the deflector."
"Brilliant idea!" Koushiro said.
Just then, the captain of the Enterprise, Wallace Walters, came limping into the bridge. "What the hell happened?" he asked.
The bridge shook violently once more, knocking Wallace to the floor.
Koushiro pointed at the viewscreen, that showed Lorezian cruisers firing at the Enterprise.
Wallace looked furious. "Well, are you an idiot? Get us out of here!"
"Engines are offline…" Koushiro muttered. "I've sent out distress signals, but the communications system isn't working properly." He added softly.
"Well, what do we have?" Wallace asked.
"Would you believe me if I said virtually nothing?" Koushiro asked, grinning.
"This isn't the time for jokes or anything relatively funny! Now get to work thinking up ways to resolve this!!" Wallace snapped.
"I'd like to see you get us out of this situation! You're the captain after all!" Koushiro retorted. "Got any miraculous methods you wanna try out now?!"
"I have some things in mind…I just haven't thought of them yet!" replied Wallace.
"And in the time you think them up, we'll be out of here! Mr. Takaishi, reroute all available power to thrusters…let's try to move behind that planet." Koushiro ordered.
But it was too late. The five vessels had each launched a volley of missiles at both of the Enterprise's warp nacelles.
The missiles hit the nacelles, causing them to explode. The rest of the ship started to explode too, starting at the stern, until the neck, connecting the saucer to the drive section was engulfed.
"Our last hope is saucer separation." Wallace spoke. "We can try and get away with auxiliary impulse engines."
The saucer flew away, while the drive section exploded into many pieces of debris. Meanwhile, the saucer flew towards the lead battlecruiser.
"What the hell are you doing?!" Koushiro asked Wallace.
"We can try to scare 'em off…by colliding with the-"
"Colliding?! What do you think we are? Invincible?"
"Got any other plans?!"
Koushiro sat himself down on his chair, and stared at the viewscreen. He couldn't risk the lives of the crew, by colliding with some ship…but then again, they'd die too if they were destroyed by the Lorezians.
"Full power to the thrusters!" screamed Wallace.
Koushiro could tell that the man was surely insane. At the last minute, he pulled out a phaser from a compartment next to his seat, took aim, and fired it at Wallace.
Wallace was thrown towards the viewscreen, and he crashed into it. The screen shattered, and wires flew out.
Koushiro quickly got up and ran towards the helm console, but it was too late. He looked at the mini viewscreen on the console…they were going to collide with the lead ship.
"Everyone, hang on!!!" Koushiro bellowed. He gripped the back of a chair and braced for impact…nothing happened.
Instead of huge explosions, the lights went back on, and things on the bridge fixed themselves, back to their normal states.
"What the-" Koushiro began, but he was interrupted by the sound of a large door opening. At the door, stood a man
The man walked towards Koushiro. "Sorry to inform you, commander…but you've, ah, failed the Kobayashi Maru test."
Koushiro stared at the floor, looking disappointed. "But Admiral," he began, "the captain left me no choice."
"It's not about the captain, Izz. It's about your command skills. Your skills are impressive, but not good enough to have you promoted." The man replied.
"Look, Joe…Wallace was acting like a nutcase. He was completely off his rocker."
"But, what you should've done was take command…"
"I did!"
"Oh…I mustn't have been paying attention again. Some of the guys down at the Diplomatic Relations Center talked to me about giving me Ambassador status."
"Joe…"
*
That night at dinner, Koushiro ate alone, since his friends, Tai and Matt had to go and fill in for Lieutenant Commander Jackson, at the Borg Technology Studies department, and then mop up that mess that they left 7 years ago in Dr. Madison's classroom.
Koushiro kept thinking about that day's command exam. He did what any smart first officer would do. He kept saying to himself that Joe was wrong, and that he deserved to be promoted. Just then, somebody tapped him on the shoulder. It was Joe.
"Joe? What are you doing here? I thought you were supervising the USS Koushiro's christening." Said Koushiro.
"Nah…too boring for one. Take it from me, don't let them promote you to Admiral. It's as bad as being a school prefect! The bossing around part's all a lie…so if you hate paperwork, stay as captain, and refuse promotion." Joe replied. "Oh, and one more thing, we decided to promote you to captain. Report to my officer tomorrow at 0700 hours."
And Joe walked away.
Koushiro couldn't believe his luck. First he failed the Kobayashi Maru test, and then he got promoted to captain. What was next? Would he get posted to the Federation's flagship? Of course, he'd probably just be posted to a cargo freighter, or a dilithium miner, or maybe even the Barge of the Dead.
"Great…now I can't get the thought of Klingon midgets out of my head." He muttered. He had watched a comedy the other day, in which three Klingon midgets danced around the screen.
Again, somebody tapped him on the soldier. It was Tai.
"Tai? What are you doing here? I thought you were-"
But Tai interrupted him. "Admiral McDougall wants to see you."
"Oh great…is this about the lawn mower incident?"
"Nah, I think it's about that time you transported right into the bathroom while he was taking a shower."
"I told those kids that the location beacons weren't properly in place!"
"Finely tuned Digifleet cadets my a-"
"It's him!" Tai whispered, and pointed to a short, bald man, with a curly mustache. He wore small glasses, and had a long beard…he kind of resembled Santa Claus.
Admiral McDougall straightened his glasses, and gave a loud, hearty laugh, so loud that a few people even looked up. "Captain Koushiro Izumi! I heard you failed, yet they still promoted you."
"Yes sir." Koushiro replied.
Then, McDougall pulled out a small package wrapped in tissue paper out of his pocket. "Here's your new rank medal…and, er, a medal for 'unique thinking.'"
Koushiro took the package, and put the rank medal on. "Thank you sir."
"Well, I must be going. Joe's been nagging me to take a look at his report on faulty EPS Conduits and Transducer Coils. Oh yes, and you also will receive an extended shore leave starting now." And Admiral McDougall walked off, and disappeared into the crowd.
Tai turned to Koushiro, and then he looked at his watch. "I gotta be going too, I just went up here to fetch Commander Madison a slice of cake…"
And with that, Tai turned, and ran to the nearest replicator stand.
Koushiro smiled, sighed, and turned to go home. He couldn't wait to tell his parents the good news.