Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Adventure Gaiden ❯ Hard Rock Hazard ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Digimon Adventure Gaiden: Episode 4
Hard Rock Hazard
(AKA: Wisdom in the Garden, Kanemon Evolves!)

Genki again. Kenmon was kidnapped by Dark Tyrannomon, who offered him power if he would kill all of the Chosen. Hagurumon showed up with her partner, an American girl named Kimberly, and they trashed Dark Tyrannomon good. We finally got through the swamp, and took a rest. Kanemon assured Ben that everything would be fine, and then we headed off again.

The children were breaking the path for the Digimon, through a very dense forest. Kenmon was relaxed as Genki finally stopped, and he ran into his partner's leg.

"Hey, what was that for," Kenmon said, jumping back and making a fist. "Is there a problem, partner?"

"I don't know," Genki said, looking down at the small dog. "Is there any particular reason that you aren't helping clear the path?"

"What if you need me to evolve to protect you," Kenmon said, sniffing the air. "Another mean Digimon could show up any minute now. Do you really want me to be busy making a path instead of saving you?"

"I'd rather know you're actually throwing your weight instead of just gaining more of it," Genki said, glaring at his partner. He jumped back as Kenmon swiped at him, and tumbled into the bushes.

Ben helped him back up, and didn't say a word. He just went back to work, until they finally reached a clearing. "We don't need to be fighting amongst ourselves if an enemy shows up," he said, stretching out and leaning back against a tree. "Do you remember what happened this morning?"

Kimberly held out her hand and ordered Thundermon into battle. "Now, Thundermon," she said, watching as her partner launched her Thunderbolt at the dinosaur. Dark Tyrannomon fell and disappeared. "Good work."

"How could I forget," Genki said, rubbing his eyes. "Look, this isn't about her, this is about survival."

"So is she," Ben said, smirking.

"Just listen to me for a minute," Genki said, jumping up and glaring at Ben. "We can't spend time looking for her, because we have to make it to Andromon's fortress. She obviously didn't come this way, but this is the fastest path to Andromon's fortress, so we need to keep going. Once we're there, we'll be able to get home."

"That's not what Golemon said," Kenmon said, looking up. "He just said he might be able to help us."

"And what else do we need help with," Genki said, turning his gaze on the dog. "Just getting home!"

"But you were chosen for a reason," Kenmon said, swiping his paw across Genki's face. "You two are supposed to help us fight so we can save the world! Obviously the Eight weren't enough, or you wouldn't be here!"

"You mean won't be enough," Genki said, sighing. "But why us?"

"Divine choice," Kanemon offered.

"I don't buy that kind of crap," Ben said, shaking his head. "If there were a god, he would just solve all of the problems, so they wouldn't be problems. Besides, science can explain everything we need to know. Any thing it can't explain, it will be able to eventually."

"Maybe you can try explaining a gate to another world," Genki said, shaking his head. "What if he's right? What if some kami chose us to come and save this world? What if we really don't have any choice? What if it's..."

"You make your own destiny," Ben shouted. "Come on, Kanemon. We can make it faster without these two bickering at our side."

"Whatever you say," Kanemon said, sighing. He got up and followed Ben, glancing back briefly to see Kenmon. Ben did not slow down, and Kanemon wasn't sure whether to appreciate that or not.

Eventually, however, they didn't have a choice. A sheer wall of trees was blocking their path, and they needed to find a way past. As they turned a third corner, Kanemon gasped.

"This is just great," Genki muttered, chopping through the brush as they kept going straight on the path they'd been taking. Kenmon was still being lazy, and was now eating while they walked, making Genki even more jealous.

"What's wrong, Genki," Kenmon said, swallowing a large bite of fruit. "You look slike somethings bothering you, besides me."

"It's just Ben," Genki said, growling as a thorny vine swung into his face. Looking up, he saw a shadowy disk fly past through an opening in the trees. "He's acting so strange since this morning, like something's going on with him and Kimberly. I dunno, it's just, he was a lot nicer at camp, before we got dragged here. Wherever here actually is."

"Can't say that I can help you," Kenmon said, sighing. "But I'll tell you what, I'll clear the path while you brood. I guess I've really been mean today, haven't I?"

"Only if you consider insisting that you not help in case there's a fight mean," Genki said, sighing. "And then doing the same while stuffing your face."

"Heh, sorry about that," Kenmon said, chuckling. "I don't know what it was. Must've been something about Dark Tyrannomon." He raised his paw as Genki moved behind him, and launched his attack. "Hound claw!" The energy blaze cleared a decent sized path for both of them, and Genki laughed.

"See, it wouldn't have even been any trouble, earlier."

"Whatever," Kenmon said, jumping up and grabbing some more fruit. "Want some?"

"Of course I do, you fuzzball," Genki said, chuckling as he took the food and ate it.

"This is the great maze," Kanemon said, looking up at Ben. "No one's ever come through here and returned to tell about it. They say that a wise Digimon lives in here, but no one has ever seen him."

"Then the only problem in getting out, right?" Ben was sarcastic as he said the words, and shook his head. "Mazes are easy."

After over an hour of wandering, Ben's head sank. "All right, Mazes are easy when you aren't actually stuck in them," he said, sighing. He looked up, and saw a black shadow in the sky, shaped like a disc. "Some kind of UFO?"

"What's a UFO," Kanemon asked, looking after the disc. "Is it a kind of food? I'm hungry, Ben."

"Geez, so am I," Ben said, grabbing his growling stomach. "Maybe it's best we not think about it. I forgot to bring any food with us."

"Well, maybe the Digimon who lives here can help us," Kanemon said, looking around. "But you still didn't answer my question. What is a UFO?"

"It's an abbreviation for unidentified flying object," Ben said, leaning against the extremely dense shrubbery. "We use it to talk about alien space ships most of the time."

"Oh," Kanemon said, watching in horror as two vines shot out from behind Ben and held him in place. "Hey! What's going on?"

"I dunno," Ben said, looking panicked. "Well, beyond the obvious I'm being attacked by a hedge maze. Kanemon, do something!"

"Metal jab," Kanemon shouted, throwing his punch through the hedges on Ben's left side. A figure seemed to move as he pulled his hand back, and he jumped through the hole, determined to catch whatever it was.

He looked to both sides, and checked evrywhere. He couldn't possibly figure out where their enemy was, especially if he knew his way around the maze. Kanemon saighed and went back through the hole, which sealed itself within seconds of him getting back through. "That was weird," Ben said, rubbing his wrists. "I guess the hedge maze is our monster this time?"

"No, I think it's something that lives in the hedge maze," Kanemon said, pushing against the bushes. He couldn't make any headway at all though, and soon turned around and looked at Ben. "This may sound crazy, but I could swear I saw something moving after I punched through the bush. And now, I can't even push it an inch."

"Nothing sounds too crazy in this world," Ben said, standing up. "Even a talking hedge maze would sound perfectly natural here." He stretched his arms out in front of him and looked back for a moment. "Well, no more attacks, I guess we're safe, for now."

"Yeah," Kanemon said, looking at the ground. "I suppose so. Let's keep moving."

Kimberly sighed as she watched the peaceful Floramon bathing. She was tempted to join them, she'd certainly been offered the chance. But something about them disturbed her. "Hagurumon, are you sure you don't want to join them?"

"And rust my gears," she asked, looking back at her partner. "No thanks, sunbathing is just fine for me. Besides, it's obvious you don't want me to."

"Well," Kimberly just sighed as she thought about it. Sure, it would have been nice, but it was a risk. And a risk she didn't want to take. "I suppose so," she said, looking up. She was glad she'd had her bikini top on under her shirt, at the very least. The sun felt good, especially at this time of day.

"Umm, Miss Kimberly?" One of the Floramon had approached her, and was looking up at her, simply seeing another girl, apparently.

"What is it," Kimberly asked, startled at her name. "Is something wrong?"

"Not wrong, so to speak, but... we need your help!"

"My help? But, how can I help you?" Kimberly was confused by this, and sighed as she sat up to talk with the Floramon.

"Well, just a while ago one of us digivolved," the Floramon said, looking very nervous. "He was always rude, but now he's just plain mean. We were wondering if you could help us at least get him away from the village."

"I suppose we could try," she said, closing her eyes. "Right Hagurumon?"

"Righty-o," Hagurumon said, rotating her gears for a moment. "Just give us a few more minutes first."

"No time," Kimberly said, pulling her shirt on. "We have to go now and stop that Floramon!"

"Fine," Hagurumon said, floating up. "I'll be right along, Kim. I just need to, oil my gears."

Genki's digtal toy, as he'd begun calling it, vibrated for a moment, and he looked down at it. "Weird," he said, in shock at the way it was working. "It looks like two beacons, pointing in different ways. But which way should we go?"

"If it's trying to say we should go back to Kanemon or Hagurumon, I say forget it," Kenmon said, growling. "After all, they both chose to go off on their own."

"No way," Genki said, looking down at his partner. "Just because they left us doesn't mean we shouldn't help them. If they're in danger, they deserve our help!"

"They can handle it," Kenmon said, pulling back his paw. "Hound claw!" A blazing trail of energy cleared a decent sized strip of path ahead of them, and Genki sighed as Kenmon led on. "They obviously don't want our help."

"I suppose so," Genki said, clipping his toy back onto his pocket. "I suppose so."

"All right, I give up," Ben shouted, totally wrapped in vines below his neck. "Plantmon or whatever, just let me go and we'll leave!"

"I think I've heard of this Digimon before," Kanemon said, slapping vines away from himself. "It's Throckmon, a Nature Guardian of the Adult level, and he can control plants. But that's not his only power, his Vine Crusher will hang you out to dry."

Throckmon was a humanoid Digimon, for the most part, except for being a lot more tall and gangly than most humans. "The Chosen are my enemies," he muttered, through his mouth, which was mostly sealed by sewing. His body was covered in dirt and green patches of moss, and he drew nearer to Ben with every step. Vines writhed around the lower part of both of his arms, and his head seemed to be crowned by a ring of flower-like petals, in a very pale shade of lavender.

"I'm not a Chosen, I'm just here by accident, I swear," Ben said, hoping that Throckmon hadn't already seen the digital toy. Ben was convinced that whatever they really were, they indicated that he was Chosen, along with Genki and Kimberly. "Kanemon is just trying to help me find my way home, and we made a wrong turn. If you let us go, we'll never bother you again."

"Problem, I know you're Chosen," Throckmon muttered, the same volume as before. "Kanemon your partner. Kill you first, he not evolve, he die easy." He leaned in closer to Ben, letting the human smell the rotting fish and plants on his breath. Ben also noticed that his eyes were glowing red.

"Well, so I am," Kanemon shouted, pulling back for an attack. "And since you figured it out, here's your prize, Throckmon! Metal jab!" His fist flew into the plant Digimon's face and sent him flying,

"Throckmon get revenge," Throckmon shouted, landing in a heap not nearly far enough away. He had a clear advantage, Ben realized, as he managed to escape the vines holding him.

"This way, Kanemon," Ben shouted, running off along a path where the ugly Throckmon was not. "Hurry!"

"Right behind you," Kanemon shouted, following his partner. "You know, I just remembered, Throckmon is mischievous, but he wouldn't really hurt anyone intentionally. I think he's acting very out of character."

"Maybe so, but you've never met him before," Ben said, running down another corridor of the maze. His eyes widened as he was forced to turn too soon, by a change in the maze, and he almost got caught again right then. "Maybe this Throckmon is the starving bloodhungry kind."

Kimberly watched the bathing Kiwimon, from behind a tree. She glanced over at Hagurumon, to see if she knew anything.

"Kiwimon is a bit of a poor mannered Digimon to begin with, not much caring whose food he eats or whose life he disrupts," Hagurumon said. "Very strong willed, a Data type of the Champion level. His attack is Little Pecker, where he shoots off an exploding duplicate of his head."

"Well, this could be dangerous," Kimberly said, looking over the relaxing Kiwimon. "Can you digivolve again, Hagurumon?"

"I don't think so," the gear Digimon said. "Saying this will be hard is the understatement of the day, Kim. There's a level difference between us, so even if I do hold him off, I'll be using a lot of energy to do it. Do you think we can take the risk?"

"Most of the Floramon were nice to us," Kimberly said, closing her eyes. "It's a risk worth taking," She nodded to Hagurumon and grinned. "I'll distract him while you go for a sneak attack."

"All right," Hagurumon said, watching.

Kimberly ran out into the clearing and Kiwimon startled. He jumped out of the water and glared at her, focusing his gaze. She ran off, and he chased after her. Hagurumon soon left, and followed them. It was a few minutes before she caught up to them, and Kimberly grinned at her. "Now!"

"White gear," Hagurumon shouted, launching a shining gear at Kiwimon. "This will teach you to mess with nice people," she said, narrowing her eyes. "Huh?"

"Little pecker," Kiwimon shouted, launching his attack at her. "You don't stand a chance." Kimberly gasped as the false head exploded, and there was no sign of Hagurumon escaping the attack.

"Hagurumon, we have to help the Floramon," she shouted, holding out her digivice. "We have to help!"

Hagurumon felt a strange rush, and felt supercharged for a moment. But when she didn't digivolve, she was really surprised. But she knew that Kimberly was right. "Command input!" She launched another gear, and as it connected she looked at Kiwimon. "Leave the Floramon and their village alone, Kiwimon. They don't want any trouble from you."

"Leave the village alone," Kiwimon said, looked dazed. "Yes, they don't want trouble." He sighed and left, running in a bit of a weird way.

"Hagurumon, what did you do?" Kimberly looked at her partner in shock. "I didn't know you could brainwash other Digimon."

"Uh, it's only for a while, I think," Hagurumon said, looking up. "I didn't stand a chance in a fair fight, though, so I didn't have any choice. I had to use my secondary attack, with the power from our link. He shouldn't bother the village for a while, at the very least."

"Oh," Kimberly said, blinking. "I don't think I really understood that, but it's still cool."

Genki noticed a change as he glanced down, and gasped. "Kenmon, we're going back. Ben is in trouble, he needs our help!"

"What do we care, he left us," Kenmon said, growling.

"He trusted me when I said you were in danger," Genki said, looking down. "And he's part of our team! If we leave him behind, what good are we?"

"Good enough to follow the path instead of getting lost," Kenmon shouted, raising his paw.

What am I doing? I shouldn't even be thinking about attacking my partner, Kenmon thought, even as he raised his arm to attack. I have to do something, I have to let Genki know that I'm not really in control, but how? And if I'm not in control, who is?

"Hound claw," he shouted, unable to stop the words or attack. Genki barely avoided that attack, and then Kenmon collapsed. "Genki!"

"I thought we were partners," Genki said, pushing himself up. "Some friend you are."

"Kanemon, you have to do something," Ben shouted, turning another corner. "Evolve or fight, or something!"

"I don't have the power to evolve," Kanemon said, looking over his shoulder. "This way!"

Throckmon instantly caught Kanemon, and looked at Ben again. He growled and watched the boy. "Kill him first then." He looked down at Kanemon, and laughed, tightening his grip.

"Ben, you have to . . . help me," Kanemon said, gasping for air. "Think of something . . . quick!"

Ben didn't know what to do. "This is too much for me," he muttered, looking around. "I'm supposed to be at summer camp, playing baseball or basketball or volleyball right now, like everyone else my age.

"But that isn't stopping this from happening, so I have to do something. I can't just let Throckmon kill Kanemon . . ." He sighed as he saw only one chance. "Kanemon! I won't let him kill you, even if it means that he has to kill me instead. Take this, you stupid plantman!" With a roar, he charged at Throckmon, hands and feet flying, trying to stop him from killing Kanemon.

"No, Ben, you... Huh?" Kanemon gasped as Ben flew past him, a surge of energy filling his body. "It feels like..." He was replaced by a scream, as his body exploded around him. "Kanemon evolve!" In a sudden burst of energy his body shifted, his arms and legs becoming solid, while his proportions became more humanoid. His skin a glowing blue, and his eyes burning red, he raised a fist in the air, watching Throckmon. "Metallimon!"

"Kanemon . . . you did it," Ben said, flying backwards into one of the bushes. "Show him one for me!"

"You've got it, partner," Metallimon said, kicking Throckmon away. "Get ready for this one, buddy! Beat Rush!" He leapt at Throckmon, a rapid series of punches connecting as Ben regained his wind. "Had enough, buddy? Or do you want more of a heavy metal beating?"

"Vine crusher," Throckmon said, wrapping himself around Metallimon.

"Metallimon!" Ben's eyes widened at the sight of his Digimon being consumed by the body of the other Digimon.

"Don't panic too soon," a voice said, growing in volume. "Besides I think he's being controlled. I'll just show him another beat rush, from the inside!" A series of thuds was heard, and a sharp object flew out of the vine form. Within a few seconds, it disintegrated into black dust, and Ben watched as the vnes pulled back.

"Metallimon is A-OK, partner," said the emerging figure. "Hey, Throckmon, you all right?"

"My skull," the weakened figure said. "What happened? Why did you attack me?"

"It is as I feared," said a new voice. "The darkness spreads over the island, and good becomes evil while peace turns to war. Angels fallen and banished long return to wreak havoc on our world. But hope shines true when the light returns, Digimon shall partner with children of another world, to once again banish the fallen ones."

"Who are you," Ben asked, turning to face the darkly robed figure. "And what are you doing here? Don't you know it's dangerous?"

"Of course I know it's dangerous," the figure said, sliding down along the hedge wall. "That's why I live here, it gets me some privacy. Especially from those meddlers that are trying to take over." He looked around, at the human for a moment, then turned to Throckmon. "Hm, yes. Well, you'll be fine, old friend. These will heal up in no time at all."

"Thank you, Frobarmon," Throckmon said, pushing himself. up. "I'm sorry for the trouble, too."

"Well, I suppose," Ben said, looking at Kanemon. "Kanemon, why'd you go back to being small?"

"Oh, it's because I didn't have the energy to stay as Metallimon anymore," he said. "Is there anything wrong with me like this, though?"

"Not at all," Ben said, laughing. "But, Frobarmon, huh?"

"Frobarmon?" Kanemon gasped as he looked at him. "He's a fully evolved Hermit Digimon, but I don't think he's ever fought."

"I don't like fighting, and I don't like intruders," Frobarmon said, leaning in close to Ben. "Interesting. You must be one of the Chosen, or else all my prophecies are wrong. What's your name?"

"I'm Ben Cohen," Ben said, looking under the hood. "Why do you wear that hood, though?"

"So nobody recognizes my face, of course," Frobarmon said, chuckling. "Besides, everyone agrees I look better like this than with it off."

"We're almost there," Kenmon said, panting. "I can smell Kanemon even!"

"Great," Genki said, running through the maze. "I'd bet he's lost in here."

"Come, I'll take you to my hut. There's an easy way out from there," Frobarmon said. "And you can stay the night even. After all, the sky road to Andromon's Fortress is rather dangerous at night. But don't worry about that until you leave, huh?"

"Hang on," Throckmon said. "Someone else is coming. One like him," he said, looking towards Ben. "And another Digimon."

"Genki?" Ben asked.

"The plants know no names," Throckmon whispered. "Frobarmon, I can lead the other two, if you'd like."

"Hm, yes," the robed figure said. He reached a three fingered hand from his robe, and shook it, causing a gnarled wooden staff to appear. "An excellent opportunity. I'd not pass it up for the world. Bring them to us, please, Throckmon."

"Halt trespassers," Throckmon said, appearing in front of Genki. "I have been asked to take you to the center of the maze. You will meet your friends there, as well."

"So, trust him or not," Genki said, looking at Kenmon.

"He smells injured," Kenmon said. "Like a broken branch."

"Follow me or not, Frobarmon wishes me to guide you there safely." Throckmon turned around and headed away. "He offers you a road to Andromon and a safe haven for the night."

"All right, but if you're lying, I'll make sure it's the last thing you do," Kenmon said, growling.

As the sun rose, Genki and Ben were waiting outside, their stomachs full thanks to Frobarmon's generosity. "Well, I just hope the path or road thing is uneventful," Kenmon said, jumping on Genki's shoulder. "But even if it's not, we'll be there to protect you, no matter what!"

"Frobarmon ought to be out any minute now," Ben said, shaking his head. "I just want to get on the road and find the way home as soon as I can."

"Don't fear," Frobarmon said, coming outside. "I would guarantee the safety of the road, but this island is not what it used to be. I fear that the force guarding the road may have been possessed, much as Throckmon was. But, in the event that she hasn't, give her my regards."

Genki and Ben nodded as the silver path heading skyward appeared, and thanked Throckmon for his hospitality. As they headed off along the path, they wondered what the guardian of the sky road might be.

[Genki] Danger and secrets seem to be strong in this group, but will Ben and I find out who's possessing all of the Digimon and making them evil? And Metallimon was pretty cool too, even if Kenmon and I did miss him. I guess we're off to a fairly good start though, I mean, we did survive two full days in a strange world. But who is the Sky Road's guardian, and will we have to fight her?

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Welcome one, and welcome all, to the magical land of my mind. File Island certainly seems wilder and bigger than we saw in the show, and there seem to be a LOT of new Digimon. So where do they all come from?

THROCKmon, the Plant-controlling [Demon-Man] Digimon of [Adult] level comes from the old Text-mode RPG "SpellBreaker." The game is Copyright (c) 1985 by Infocom, and involves a young magic-user saving the world through use of his magic and quick wits. The spell THROCK, which is found in the mountains, causes rapid growth in plants, and is used on a weed to induce sneezing fits in a Troll who suffers from hay-fever.

FROBARmon comes from much the same place, but earlier in the series. Frobar is a higher ranked member in the Guild of Enchanters, above the player, and below the head guy, Belboz. Frobarmon is a Hermit Digimon of the Perfect level.

This episode takes place primarily during the same day as the Desert Trek and the Pyokomon Village in Adventure Remix.